Team Sankey Ant

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Team Sankey Ant

Once upon a time there was an ant.

His name was Sankey Ant and he was the strongest ant in all the land. He could create powerful Rock Slides to scare away Flying Pokémon that tried to eat him. He could knock out a Terakion with a single headbutt from his Iron Head. He could even beat up Psychic Pokémon and the scary three headed dragons using his mighty X-Scissor. Everybody loved Sankey Ant, and he travelled the world with his grandpa Sankey Fart.

Sankey Fart was Sankey Ant's grandpa. Sankey Fart would let Sankey Ant climb up onto his cloud, and they would go on adventures together and battle against other Pokémon. Sankey Ant and Sankey Fart could beat any Pokémon they came across... except for timid Hydreigon and Scarf Chandelures.

"How can we defeat these quick fire moves? They are so strong and they melt my Steel body."

"I could whip up a Tailwind to make you faster, while you protect."

"That is a good idea Grandpa but I think we need a more long term solution. I will go for a walk to think of a solution."

Sankey Ant went for a walk to think about the problem. He went for a very long walk. He was so lost in thought that he accidentally stumbled into a forbidden place. It was a place that Sankey Fart had told him never to go to, for there lurked a fearsome creature who would attack Sankey Ant and gobble him up. Sankey Ant had forgotten about grandpa's warning though, and wandered into the lair of...

OH NO ITS SANKEY ANTEY!! The most fearsome and dangerousest creature in all of the lands!

Sankey Antey grabbed Sankey Ant while he was still in a daze, and licked his flaming lips.

"Fe Fi Fo Fum. I'll barbecue you and put you in my tum!"

Sankey Ant could not escape. He wriggled and wriggled but could not get away. Sankey Antey let out a firey belch and then lifted Sankey Ant up above his mouth, ready to cook him.

"Wait!" Shouted Sankey Ant in desperation, still not sure what he would say next.

"What is it? I don't like noisy food."

"Sankey Antey, you are clearly a very fearsome creature. How come I have never seen you battle in a team?"

"A team? Nobody wants to be on my team. They always pick Chandelure instead of me. She is a much better fire Pokémon than me, I hate Chandelure."

"I hate Chandelure too, she always survives my rock attack and hits me with Heat Wave."

"Heat Wave? Ha! If she tried to Heat Wave me I would eat her flames and then Sucker Punch her in the face!"

"You should be on our team! Me and my Grandapa are a team. You could take fire attacks aimed at me while my grandpa whips up a tailwind, then you can destroy everyone with your own Heat Wave."

"An ant and an anteater on the same team? Ha! People would never take us seriously. I can't even take us seriously, but... that's not a bad idea little ant. I have a friend, Sankey Drag, he always gets picked last too. People would rather have Hydreigon or Haxorus on their teams. Sankey Drag is a Druddigon and everyone says he is the worst dragon because he is slow. Between you and me, he is pretty slow in the head, but I bet he would love to join our team."

And so Sankey Ant and Sankey Antey put their differences aside to form a powerful team: Team Sankey Ant!

Sankey Fart (Torunerosu) (M) @ Flight Jewel
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobat
- Hammer Arm
- Tailwind
- Protect

Grandpa Sankey is a wise and strong Pokémon. As a lead, his primary job is to hit stuff extremely hard with flight jewel boosted Acrobat. My philosophy is that you need to kill the other pokemon if you want to win, so I'd rather stop opponents from setting up Trick Room by killing them before they get the chance. This works especially well with Durant as a partner since Acrobat + X Scissor/Rock Slide will easily KO the majority of Trick Room set ups. Durant is already faster than most so Tailwind sometimes isn't necessary Turn 1, I'll only set it up if I expect that Sankey Fart won't be living for longer than 1 turn, in which case the 2 slowpokes in the back definitely need the speed boost. Hammer Arm is purely for coverage, but good for hitting Hydreigon, Gigalith etc. if Sankey Fart is around for long enough.

Sankey Anto (Aianto) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Originally, Sankey Ant was Jolly in order to outspeed everything from the Legendary Fighting Trio downwards. However, I quickly noticed that with a jolly nature, Sankey Ant misses out on the OHKO on both Terrakion and Hydreigon, so I was forced to go Adamant. This causes me some problems as it becomes a guessing game as to whether or not I outspeed Terrakions and Hydreigons now. For the record, Durant outspeeds Adamant Terrakion by a single point and Modest Hydreigon by quite a bit more. Unfortunately, it misses out on outspeeding Timid Hydreigon who sit at 165 max, while Durant can only manage 161. It's such a shame. If he had just a slightly higher base attack I could run jolly without any problems. I'm still debating which nature is best to be honest.
Rock Slide is more coverage and I've seen it OHKO Genies on occasions, other times it doesn't. I've never bothered to run calcs. It can also be used for putting Chandelure's lights out if Sankey Ant is feeling brave, but I tend not to keep it in unless I'm double targetting to stop a TR set up as Chandelure nearly always survive, especially the bulky trick roomers.

Sankey Antey (Kuitaran) (M) @ Fire Jewel
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 124 Atk / 252 SAtk / 132 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Big Antey comes in on fire moves or for a revenge kill, with tailwind up it outspeed all but that new Ninjask bug that i don't know the english name for (Agirudaa or w/e), as does Druddigon btw since they both sit around 93 speed. Boosted Heat Waves (often double boosted if he gets the Flash Fire boost) really do a number on anything that doesn't resist, and I've seen double boosted Flash Fires do upwards of 50% to Hydreigon, who resists, it really is formidable. As mentioned earlier in the opening chapter of my best selling childrens novel "The Adventures of Sankey Ant", Sucker Punch is useful for hitting Chandelure, Burungeru and anything weak that I for some reason can't outspeed. When people haven't played this team before, they tend to not realize Heatmor packs any priority such as this and will leave things in that really have no business taking wild Sucker Punches. Hidden Power Ice once again gives me good coverage, especially for tackling Hydreigon who resists everything else.
The EVs don't have a great deal of thought put into them because I'm lazy, but if anyone thinks they can rearrange the attack EVs to get me a Sucker Punch OHKO on Chandelures with no defensive investment, whilst keeping the OHKO on the Genies with +1 Heat Wave, it would be cool. I don't really care about KOing anything else, apart from Conkelldur maybe.

Sankey Drag (Kurimugan) (M) @ Dragon Jewel
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower
- Protect

Sankey Drag honestly didn't have a great deal of thought put into it when I added it, and there's probably a better replacement.
The requirements for a position on Team Sankey Ant are as follows:
  • Must be an ugly pokemon that the majority of people do not like.
  • Must be rarely used in VGC11 Format, or used in an unorthodox way.

However, despite his somewhat whimsical inclusion, Sankey Drag actually does a pretty good job of beating on some common threats. A boosted Dragon Claw really packs a punch, Sucker Punch is Sucker Punch, and good for clean up when tailwind has petered out. Everybody seems to forgot about Superpower, which is good for me since Terrakion fails to KO and often finds itself on the receiving end. It also catches out the odd Excadrill, although they're rather uncommon in this format.
A lot of people would say a Sheer Force set would be more powerful, but I honestly like this moveset a lot and none of the moves get a boost from it, so why not run Rough Skin and catch out a couple of Sash hangers on? I have run Crunch over Sucker Punch, and I really missed the priority on occasions. I've also tried Rock Slide but don't find myself using it too often, a boosted and less likely to be resisted Dragon Claw usually seems a better choice. There isn't really anything else that can replace Superpower.
If anything is going to change on Team Sankey Ant, it's Druddigon. He was never in my original plans anyway, and as far as my boy Sankey Ant is concerned, he's just a friend of a friend.

So there is my favourite VGC team that I'm actually willing to share. If anybody has any suggestions on the team itself, this is the place to do it. If you're just wanting to say "OMG SO CUTE!! KAWAIIII!!" then I'll post the pictures in my art thread later.

Strong trainers who have lost to Team Sankey Ant:

bluecookies - took about 10 attempts and once he let me win because my girlfriend was watching (thx bro she totally digs it when I'm strong at pokemon)
ryuzaki - and quite a few other skarmbliss peeps who I forget
Keelhauled
OmegaPit
- and various #pokeforumers probably including gazooki grrr
Pokawaii
Havak
7014gree
- and everybody else on pokemonworld who dare step onto skarmbliss while I am "moderating"
Unreality
and many mooooooore...

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
excellent team, I don't think I could make any suggestions to make it better. And no prob on letting you win in front of your girlfriend, just don't expect it at worlds :)

I really just need to post in this RMT for reason of appreciation. For one, the team itself is awesome- I really wasn't liking VGC because I saw it as stale and boring so this is very eye opening! Also the tale at the beginning and the old-gen style sprites are very very nice, really add to the RMT as a whole.

As far as actually rating the team goes I am, for once, drawing a blank. I'm not sure what the HP EVs on druddigon are for, but I assume they have a purpose- otherwise I think spe is better. Anyways thank you very much for posting this!

another standard 'epic team' comment and all that, ive seen you play this team and it does hurt a lot. however, you said that druddi (w/e his name is) isn't exactly what you wanted and im here to help with that. there are many other options you could use (as i run a tw team im going through many different options), such as (what appear to be the ones you try to avoid) like chandelure, hydreigon, and, one of my personal favorites, landorus. im not too sure why u run antey > chandy, as chandy - in tw - outspeeds and koes scarf chandelures without a problem, it too has flash fire, but it hits with insane power, with or without flash fire. landorus is also worth considering, having great typing with hydreigon and tornados (courtesy of STAB earthquake) as well as explosion and being able to destroy chandelure with tailwind.

Hope I Helped!

I really like this team.
Perhaps you could try out a special based Tornadus with Air Slash and Sludge Wave. The attacks of jolly Durant + Sludge Wave should be enough to get the kos and you break at least the Sash of the opposing partner Pokemon. Of course you lose some kos without the acrobatics ...

oi, try hustle on ant, it ohkos the shit out of stuff you want to hit with iron head and stuff:

hustle x-scissor vs 140 HP hydeigon (the most HP ive ever dared to put on hydra)
241 Atk vs 110 Def & 185 HP (80 Base Power): 200 - 236 (108.11% - 127.57%)

iron head vs terrakion
241 Atk vs 110 Def & 167 HP (80 Base Power): 200 - 236 (119.76% - 141.32%)

and uh
rock slide (with other pok on the field) vs 252 hp chandelure
241 Atk vs 110 Def & 167 HP (55 Base Power): 92 - 110 (55.09% - 65.87%)

puts it in ko range for just about everything since candlemon is going to be oustped by everyone on your team like sankey drag over there with sucka punch:

189 Atk vs 110 Def & 167 HP (80 Base Power): 104 - 124 (62.28% - 74.25%)

and anty:

117 Atk vs 110 Def & 167 HP (80 Base Power): 66 - 78 (39.52% - 46.71%)

(though that is kinda sucky, but i dont think you can 2hko bulky ghosts without investing heavily in attack)

also all of ant's calcs are done without life orb and with a jolly nature, so you can slap a sash on sankey ant easy, the only catch being that your accuracy goes down, but thats what sash is for, to give you another chance

You could use the unorthodox Mixed Hydreigon set Alaka proposed in Sazandora's VGC analysis long ago...it was something like this (I don't remember EV's though xd)

Hydre @Dragon Gem
Naughty
Draco Meteor
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Protect/Flamethrower

It's fast outside of TW, and it has hell-a-awesome attacking stats =D

first, hydreigon doesnt get dragon claw (no claws)

second, 176 (which is the most i'd put in attack if i was going mixed with hydra) +attack crunch vs 252/6 relaxed musharna
161 Atk vs 115 Def & 223 HP (80 Base Power): 128 - 152 (57.40% - 68.16%)

252 modest dark pulse vs relaxed 252/252 musharna
194 Atk vs 147 Def & 223 HP (80 Base Power): 120 - 144 (53.81% - 64.57%)

not bothering to run more calcs, as i've seen enough imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)