Team Synergize (an OU RMT)

Team Synergize!
Hi, I am The Kid. Most of you don’t know me because I am not an active member. Some of you may know me as Lockir on Shoddy. My team was conceived in the same way that most other teams are made. I was bored, so I decided to make a team that would be fit for an RMT. I wanted to base it around synergy, but keep some offensive pressure. I am known to be a good team builder, but I am open for suggestions (as always when somebody posts an RMT).​
Team Building Process:

I decided I wanted to start with a core that could cover a lot of weaknesses. On my past team, I had accidentally discovered the power of a Latias and Scizor combo and it worked really well. They resist each other’s weaknesses, along with 15 out of the 17 types (they don’t resist Rock or Flying). These two were definite choices for my team.

Next, I wanted a backup resisance machine in case one of the people my core died. Heatran covers both Latias’ and Scizor’s weaknesses very well. I also chose Heatran because he could remain offensive while still having good defensive stats and resistances.

I realized that I wanted to increase the longevity of my pokemon, but I didn’t want to take up my pokemon’s moveslots with recovery moves. What is the best candidate for Wish support? Vaporeon! Vaporeon’s purpose is to keep all the members of my team alive and healthy for as long as possible. She is also a great defensive pokemon. Her weaknesses are really well covered by most of my pokemon.

I wanted a good sweeper that was pretty bulky, and had good resistances. Looking at typing, Dragonite really stood out because his weaknesses were well covered, allowing him more opportunities to wreck the opponent’s team. He is also bulkier than Salamence.

Then I realized something. I had completely neglected a lead! I wanted to use a common lead, but at the same time I wanted one that nobody was prepared to deal with. I also wanted one that could hit most leads for super effective damage. Gengar seemed like the perfect fit, with an added bonus: he was immune to fake out and explosion!

Team at a Glance:

Team Under the Microscope:

Gar (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb?​
Ability: Levitate​
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk​
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)?​
Shadow Ball​
Hidden Power [Fire/Ground]?​
Energy Ball​
• Taunt​
When I was looking for a lead, I wanted one that could shut down most of the common ones. I also wanted to have a lead that I could save for later in the game. I checked the most common leads, and identified moves that would be super effective against them. I am having a hard time deciding between Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Fire. Ground helps me take out more leads, but Fire helps me later because I can bait a Scizor, and then BOOM! It dies. Fire also is good against shuca berry Metagrosses too. Here is a list of common leads and my responses to them. I am also debating if I should switch my item to a focus sash so that I can survive more hits. The con is that I won’t do more damage later in the game. One more change is that I may want to make it a modest nature to do more damage to leads and still out speed most of them (besides Infenape). The downside is that later in the game, I will not be able to out speed common threats that I can counter.

Vs. The Common Leads
¨ No problems
¨ Gives me some problems
¨ Serious issues

Azelf: Shadow Ball twice. It can’t explode so it usually will not attack and just set up rocks.

Metagross: If I think it is scarfed, switch to Latias, and HP Fire it (Latias knows it). If it is not, then Taunt and then HP it (most carry shuca, so this is where I like HP Fire.)

Aerodactyl: Most will Taunt me, expecting a Hypnosis, and then Stealth Rock. This allows a 2HKO with Shadow Ball.

Heatran: As long as I have HP Ground I will Taunt and then 2HKO (with shuca), but if not, I will Taunt and then switch to my Latias, who can kill it with Surf.

Jirachi: When it tricks, I will switch to Latias, and then screw it over with HP Fire.

Roserade: I will Taunt first, then HP it.

Swampert: Taunt first, and the Energy Ball. No Swamperts have focus sashes so I can OHKO.

Infernape: This guy is a bit annoying. With Fake Out ones, I will either Taunt, or switch to Heatran to take the incoming fire blast. Hopefully, he will be scared away because he thinks it is a scarfed one, allowing me to set up Rocks in peace. If it is the Endeavor version, I just Taunt and then switch to Dragonite, who laughs at all its attacks while it sets up for a 6-0.

Gliscor: I usually just Taunt it, and then Shadow Ball it to death. Sometimes it has Stone Edge though, and that gives me some problems.

Hippowdon: Taunt it, and then 2HKO with Energy Ball.

Tyranitar: THIS GUY IS SO PAINFULL! Tyranitar is designed to counter Gengar. I will just switch to Heatran and laugh at Ttar’s attacks while I Stealth Rock.

Mamoswine: I just Taunt it, and then 2HKO with Energy Ball (OHKO without a sash). I can survive all his attacks, and Endeavor doesn’t effect me. I just have to be wary of the occasional Stone Edge.

Synergy:

Tran (Heatran) (M) @ Life Orb​

Ability: Flash Fire​

Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)​

Fire Blast​

Earth Power​

Dragon Pulse​

Stealth Rock​
This guy is my Stealth Rocker and LO sweeper. After Gengar does his job, I usually try to get him out to set up. If I don’t think he can get out early, I will send him it after one of mine is KOed. The opponent will probably think it is a scarfer, and will usually switch. I can then predict accordingly and score a surprise KO on an unsuspecting victim. This Heatran has problems with Gyarados, but that problem is solved with a switch to Latias, who can out speed a Jolly 252 speed Gyarados after 1 Dragon Dance.​
Synergy:

Ias (Latias) (F) @ Choice Scarf​
Ability: Levitate​
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)​
Thunderbolt​
Hidden Power [Fire]/Shadow Ball​
Draco Meteor​
Surf​
This girl is my answer to many of the common threats of the metagame. She can come in and kill many pokemon reliably, as well as being a semi-reliable Scizor killer (I know that sounds crazy). She can reliably kill Gyarados, other Latias, Rotom-A (with Shadow Ball), Heatran, Salamence, Metagross (with HP Fire), Infernape, Lucario (with HP Fire), Jirachi (with HP Fire), and many other common OU pokemon. The way I can kill Scizor is that if I know the opponent has one, I will switch in Latias on one of their pokemon. They will usually switch to Scizor, so if I can correctly predict a switch, their Scizor will be burned to a crisp. I am leaning towards HP Fire but Shadow Ball is a good way to counter Rotom-A.​
Synergy:

••

Eon (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers​
Ability: Water Absorb​
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd​
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)​
Wish​
Surf​
Toxic​
Protect​
Vaporeon is my support pokemon. Because Heatran plays a critical role in my defensive core, he usually takes a large beating. Vaporeon can easily come in on a resisted attack and Wish back to Heatran, who can then continue to serve my purposes until mid or late game. Vaporeon is also a great wall, and can survive for a long time on by itself. Most of my pokemon resist its two weaknesses, which allows her to stay alive much longer.​
Synergy:

Nite (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers​
Ability: Inner Focus​
EVs: 224 HP/84 Atk/200 Spd​
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)​
Dragon Dance​
Earthquake​
Outrage​
Roost​
Why not Salamence you say? When I made this team, I wanted to use Dragonite as an anti-lead. I tried this and discovered that I wanted to use him in a better way. I was torn between Salamence and Dragonite, until I knew what set I wanted. I wanted to use a Bulky Dragon Dance set. In the past, I used a Salamence for the Bulky set, but when I compared their defensive stats, Dragonite really stood out. It is amazing what I can take with this girl. If people have Infernape leads, they are screwed. I can send them in even if they don’t Fake Out (after I taunt them of course), and laugh at all their attempts to KO me. I can then proceed to set up for a 6-0 sweep. My only issue is priority abusers, although I can usually take a hit and kill them.​
Synergy:
– eek!

Zor (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers​
Ability: Technician​
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spd​
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)​
Bullet Punch​
Swords Dance​
Brick Break​
Roost​
What else can I say, Scizor is AWESOME! While most people just slap on the choice bander, I decided to go for a bulkier approach. I have used this set on past teams, and it is great. It usually comes out late game, and just cleans up but sometimes I like to bluff a bander. Most pokemon will just switch out, giving me a free Swords Dance, but I usually get all three up. Scizor is also part of my defensive core, which means he is pivotal to my strategy. His only weakness is also resisted by four of my pokemon, which means that he doesn’t have a hard time dealing with it.​
Synergy:

••

Things to note when rating:

Gengar:
· Life Orb or Focus Sash?
· Timid or Modest?
· HP Fire or Ground

Heatran:

Latias:
· HP Fire or Shadow Ball?

Vaporeon:

Dragonite:

Scizor:

Synergy:
· Rock resist?
Miscellaneous things:
· Any glaring weaknesses?
· I would like to try to keep as many of these pokemon the same, because in the past, I have changed my pokes around a ton and it has made the team worse. I am not doubting raters, but I would like to try to keep it as close to the same as possible.

Former Members:

I hope that a lot of people will rate this team, and I hope it will be successful!​

I would like to address Gengar, and give you what I think would be good. I actually know a little and I'm not a random person so my advice at least means a little.

I would definitely run Hp ground over Hp fire because a) the only thing that doesn't enjoy Hp fire is Metagross in the lead position. Often times, it runs a fire resist berry (i cant remember what its called at the moment) in which case Hp fire will not do much. Metagross then can swiftly ohko you with meteor mash. Also Scizor will usually bullet punch before you can use Hp fire. B) Hp ground nets you a huge dent in a lead Heatran, Infernape, and Tyranitar.

I would also, if you havent, try focus blast on Gengar too. I personally hate it because of its poor accuracy, but for some teams it works well.

Life Orb vs. Focus Sash is really a preference choice. Life Orb will give you more power and get you team off to a running start, while Focus Sash will give you at least two reliable hits to take an apposing lead down. I would use Life Orb because anything that will get 2hko in the lead position will run after stealth rock to a counter. Thus your focus sash is rendered useless.

Hope that helps

Hi. Your team seems to have several issues, but I think they can all be fixed with some simple changes. First is Gengar, as it doesn't seem like a very ideal lead in this metagame. It doesn't beat as many leads as you say, and it seems to just be a suicide lead that doesn't set anything up. To fix this issue, I would move Heatran to the lead slot. This gives you a better matchup against several leads, and in the cases you 'lose' you can dictate as to whether your opponent gets up SR or gets a kill.

So with a team slot left open in the absence of Gengar, I'd suggest a Magnezone. Your team is really going to have an issue with Steel-types, as all of your sweepers are handled rather well by them. A simple Scarf set could do wonders for your opening holes for your sweepers, as well as allowing you to threaten Blissey and the like with Explosion. It also serves as a check to Lucario, something you are kind of lacking at this point.

Alright so now a few minor changes to move sets and such to better equip your team. First, you needHidden Power [Electric] on Vaporeon. Gyarados is almost always paired with CB Tar to take out his biggest revenge killers, and as of now Latias is your only answer to Gyarados. Toxic is the only expendable move on that set, so replace that. Next is Latias, HP Fire really isn't needed on the Scarf set, as you aren't going to get very much use out of it. The only chance is a predicted Scizor switch, and if you can predict that might as well go to Magnezone and take it out that way. I would suggest Trick over HP Fire to give you something to use against stall and bulky end game sweepers such as CroCune. Lastly, I'd suggest Life Orb over Leftovers on Scizor. I understand you want to maximize survivability, but you really do need the extra emergency power. Aside from Latias, who can easily be trapped, you have no form of revenging. Since you are immune to Sandstorm anyway the loss of health won't be an issue paired with roost.

Hope I gave you some things to think about, good luck!

Magnezone @Choice Scarf
Timid; 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Thunderbolt / HP Fire / Explosion / Flash Cannon

Heatran @Shuca Berry
Timid; 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Fire Blast / Earth Power / Explosion / Stealth Rock

Hi,

Actually, most Metagross leads I've seen carry Occa berry, to deal with Azelf, Infernape, etc., but I'd still recommend HP Fire for a couple of reasons. HP Fire allows you to get a quick 2HKO on Roserade, and hit other steel leads like Jirachi for super effective. However, without HP Ground you can't hit Heatran, which leads me to my point. I'd go with Focus Blast over Energy Ball, because although you'd lose some coverage on Swampert, you'd gain a huge advantage over popular leads like Heatran and Mamoswine. Also, your present moveset seems to be walled by Tyranitar; with Focus blast Tyranitar should be no problem.

So without Energy Ball, you're going to have a lot of trouble with Swamperts. So I'd go with HP Grass over Dragon Pulse on Heatran, just for this purpose. It additionally gives Heatran some type coverage, which could be useful in other situations; but this gives your team a nice check to Swampert.

I don't think HP Fire/Shadow Ball is a good idea on Latias. Latias locked in the wrong move will be pursuit-killed by Scizor, and being locked into another move doesn't even give you a chance to use HP Fire. I think you'd be much better off giving Latias Trick over HP Fire/Shadow Ball, it would be a lot more useful into hitting one of Latias' main counters, Blissey, on the switch and crippling it for the match.

Thats all I have for now, overall a nice team, good job

Hey The Kid, cool team you got here but I think a few things can be fixed. First of all your lead Gengar is an interesting concept however it imo doesn't function well as a lead in the current metagame. It loses to Heatran, Azelf, Metagross, Jirachi, Aerodactyl, and a few others so I suggest replacing it with Heatran.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry | Flash Fire
Naive | 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Fire Blast / Earth Power / Explosion / Stealth Rock

With Heatran utilized as a lead, it usually draws in Tyranitar, Swampert, and Gyarados who are checks/counters to Latias, Dragonite, and Scizor respectively. If you can take them out early it will make it easier for you.

Also you seems to have a huge weakness to Choice Band Tyranitar's Stone Edge as well as Lucario. I think a simple Choice Scarf Jirachi will help out with this:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf | Serene Grace
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Iron Head / Ice Punch / Fire Punch / ThunderPunch

Jirachi is a great Pokemon to use as it serves as a check to common Pokemon such as Gyarados, Salamence, Latias, Tyranitar and Lucario. Since your Scizor is a bulky Swords Dancer I think Jirachi is neccessary as Latias can be quite troublesome to your team if it gets out early.

As for Latias going with a Life Orb set seems to be a good option. It can keep an offensive push to the team as well as take on many special threats.

Latias @ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Roost / Hidden Power Fire / Grass Knot

With this moveset it can keep steel types at bay, often they wall Outrages from Dragonite and take hits from Scizor. Grass Knot deals with bulky waters such as Suicune and Swampert who can be threats to Dragonite. It also catches Tyranitar switch ins helping a bit with your Babiri Berry Tyranitar weakness.

With that said I think Vaporeon would be better off with Hidden Power Electric as you have checks to Salamence and only one check to Gyarados who can be a problem to Scizor.

Hope I helped!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would definitely run Hp ground over Hp fire because a) the only thing that doesn't enjoy Hp fire is Metagross in the lead position. Often times, it runs a fire resist berry (i cant remember what its called at the moment) in which case Hp fire will not do much. Metagross then can swiftly ohko you with meteor mash. Also Scizor will usually bullet punch before you can use Hp fire. B) Hp ground nets you a huge dent in a lead Heatran, Infernape, and Tyranitar.

Hope that helps
It's an Occa Berry iirc. [If I'm not allowed to rate or something like that, just delete this post and I'll get the message]

A Tyranitar, probably the Dancer or maybe the Boah could be a huge problem to your team, as with sandstorm it can take a hit from Vaporeon's Surf (65.1%-77.42%) and do quite a bit of damage back with Stone Edge/Crunch/Thunderbolt.

Stone Edge can catch Heatran on the switch with the Boah set, doing 42.72%-50.46%, which has a nearly 95% chance of 2HKOing after SR damage. On the Dancer set, it can DD up on the switch and assuming Max Attack, Jolly Nature, do 88.54%-104.64% which is a guaranteed OHKO after SR.

Even without an Attack boost, a Crunch to Latias will be another OHKO after Stealth Rock, 88.29%-104.5%.

Needless to say, Scizor is KOed by Fire Punch, and takes a hefty 52.34%-61.68% from Stone Edge unboosted.

Dragonite, whose Rock weakness can be easily exploited, gets hit with Stone Edge taking 92.35%-109.23%, an easy KO with Stealth Rock.

Note that I have been completely ignoring Sandstorm for these calcs, as sadly Libelldra doesn't have a Sandstorm+Stealth Rock option.

As you can see, Tyranitar + Stealth Rock completely ruins your team, but I have a suggestion that will (hopefully) help. A Bronzong has the same weakness as Scizor, Fire, which is already covered nicely by just about everyone on your team. Heatran and Bronzong can work very well; Bronzong switches in on a Ground move, Heatran absorbs the Fire moves. While it may not be keeping with your "keeping offensive pressure" theme, I hope you'll try it out as Bronzong works nicely for me:

Bronzong@Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
252HP/252Def/4Sp.D
Speed: 1IV
--Gyro Ball
--Reflect
--Explosion
--Earthquake
Because your team's defensive capabilities seem biased towards the special end of the spectrum, Bronzong's EVs and Nature are built to be as physically sturdy as possible. A notable fact with this spread is if Tyranitar Fire Punches Bronzong (Unboosted) as Zong Reflects, Bronzong will never be 2HKOed (meaning the same thing as that Bronzong will never be OHKOed by a +1 Fire Punch). Gyro Ball does good damage to Ttar, Reflect gives your team physically defensive capabilities, and Explosion and EQ are there for hitting stuff. The 1 speed IV is there for outrunning other Bronzong to the Explosion or setting up Reflect before they Explode, depending on your remaining health.

I hope this suggestion helped.

EDIT: While I was compiling all this, 5 other people posted...

Hello!

This is a pretty cool team, and it's apparent that you put quite a bit of thought into it, which is quite refreshing given the other rmts that have been popping up lately. I do have some ideas that you should test out that will maybe make your team better.

firstly, as others have addressed already, gengar is not such a great lead. You mentioned wanting mixed dragonite as an anti-lead, and I think you should move him there. what this does for you is gives you a solid priority move as well as a hard-hitter who is also bulky and can make good use of the wish support to come in and in and in and in and just fire the draco meteors. between scarflatias, bulky vaporeon, and lotran, you can come in on most of the dders and sders in the game, so it's quite alright if you give up a free turn or two to get a draco meteor kill. another bonus is that with the extra lo draco meteors being thrown, steels try to come in and get weakened, allowing both latias and scizor to have a fun time lategame when their only counters (the steels) are weakened or dead from repeated meteors.

In dragonite's original spot, I suggest you use a jolly dragon dancing gyarados. he can come in on lucario multiple times, which is crucial for this team as lucario can find a few opportunities to set up and when he does you have a difficult time with him. gyarados, with intimidate and the fighting resist as well as wish support to back him up, can come in on lucario handily and set up. you'll also find that most of the time waters are trying to come in on heatran and eating very strong lo fire blasts, meaning gyarados's counters will probably end up weakened and he'll be primed to sweep.

all this taken into account, I think your sweepers will have an easier time sweeping, and with so much priority, a scarfer, and a bulky water, I don't think stuff will have such an easy time sweeping you. thanks for your time!

Thanks

Thank you so much for all your rates. From what you have generally said, I should replace Gengar. I will address that by putting Dragonite in his place. That frees up one more slot. I have heard from you all that I am Ttar and Lucario weak. I want a few suggestions on what to put there to kill these threats.

Hello! I'm relatively new to Smogon and not the best battler, but I'll give my personal opinion on some topics you said you had problems with.

On Latias, I wouldn't run Shadow Ball. If you just want it to hit Rotom appliance forms, Draco Meteor or Surf would probably do a lot of damage, do to the only par defenses of Rotom and sublime power of Latias' Draco Meteor. HP fire allows for you to hit Scizor like a stack of bricks, as I'm sure you already knew.

As far as Gengar goes, his use late game will be somwhat limited, as Latias can revenge kill pretty much what Gengar can with a little variation. If you want Gengar to serve as a good Anti Lead, I'd run a focus sash and a timid nature, because suicide leads are frail enought ot begin with and you might just want to outspeed them so you could run Destiny Bond. >:D I'd run HP ground as well. Keep in mind, all these suggestions would be prime if you just want him to serve as an Anti-Lead- if you want him to serve later, these may not all be relevant.

You said you had no rock resist, and just glancing at your team, I'd say you don't fare well against Tyrainitar once Scizor kicks the bucket. Sadly, I cannot think of a way to fix this without changing members of your team, so I would say just don't let Scizor die too soon.

Again, I am not a great battler and this is actually my first team rate, so my advice might not be the best. Just my personal opinion.

Stuff

I am changing my opinion to keep my team members the same. I would like to keep latias, scizor, and heatran though. I am thinking of putting in an agility/choice scarf lucario to take care of lucario (funny) and Ttar. Any more suggestions would be nice.

Thanks for such good rates!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Azelf: Shadow Ball twice. It can’t explode so it usually will not attack and just set up rocks.
Azelf outspeeds you... It'll turn into something like "Azelf used Stealth Rock! Gengar used Shadow Ball! Azelf hung on using its Focus Sash! Azelf used Psychic! Gengar fainted/hung on using its Focus Sash!" But since you switched it it doesn't really matter.

@Toxic Spork: I wouldn't call Rotom-A's defenses par; they're 50/107/107, which while are a bit worse than Bronzong's 67/116/116, are good with its unique typing.

For your last team slot, why don't you just switch the positions of Dragonite and Gengar? Your team has great synergy [as the name of the team highlights] and Gengar is an extremely potent special attacker. You should probably run your run-of-the-mill Timid 252/252/4 LO set...

Again, you can bring in Bronzong as a substitute for one of your pokes [look at a couple posts above].

An Agilicario will also work pretty well, however, you can never 2HKO SubRoost Zapdos with HP Ice, even after Stealth Rock damage, which means it can successfully outstall you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)