SM OU Teambuilding Kartana

Hey guys, first of all sry for my bad english! Like the tiltle already says i build a team around one of my favorite pokemons: Kartana, but i have many problems with it like the ice types especially weavile and set up mons like leaf storm serpirior

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

This is a nomarl Kartana choice scarf sweeper. Leaf blade for STAB as well as smart Strike, Psycho Cut for Fighting Mons like conkeldurr and sacred sword for greninja ash or heatran (coverage). EVs are like almost every sweeper

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

I picked tyranitar as wall braker and stealth rocker because i really like the mon and never used it before. Pursuit is very important in this set because it allows to trap kartana counters such as mega latias/ latios, mega alakazam and tornadus T. Stone Edge is STAB and fire punch for coverage and for common entry hazards like ferrothorn. EVs are more in HP than in Spe because with this Tyranitar survives 2 earthquakes from Salamence (problem for the team) and i wanted it bulkier.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

I picked bulky tapu bulu for kartana support mostly for sweeps in the endgame. Bulk Up for def and atk boosting (important for Superpower (-ATK and DEF)) Horn Leech as STAB and Synthesis for more heal

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

i dont have a specific reason why i picked toxapex except that it counters fire mons that kartana is weak against. Baneful bunker and toxic for toxic stall, haze for set up mons like volcarona (but problems against serpirior) and recover for heal. Full EVs in SpD because most fire mons attack special like mega charizard x/y. I played scald instead of toxic because of problems with taunt, but toxapexs SpA is too low to deal damage and it just works better for me with toxic

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Fly

Landorus-T is the Victini support so i gave him u-turn to savely switch to victini as well as defog because victini doesnt like hazards. earthquake as STAB and fly with flynium Z for more coverage and hopefully a safe kill if the enemy doesnt espect it. full EVs on Spe becuase Landorus-T is then able to outrun naughty kyruem-B and gyarados.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

Last but not least i have the second sweeper victini with obvious V-create, u turn to safely switch in landorus-T, bolt strike for water mons or gyarados and brick brake for greninja ash or for a OHKO on Tyranitar.

Yeah thats my team (its my first one)! Hope you can help me with moveset or pokemon suggestions, only requirement is that the basic structure of the teams stays the same and i want the tyranitar and kartana to stay in the team. Thank you!

Hello! Here goes the rate.
1. I would replace Psycho cut on kartana with knock off, as that is pretty standard and useful to have on kartana, as it can catch swaps and remove items.
2. Toxic and Baneful bunker on pex isnt the best option. Instead of baneful bunker, try scald, so you can fish for burns to cripple some physical attackers that could otherwise be threats.
3. On victini, try using trick instead of brick break as you can trick your choice band to other mons to limit their attacks and cause them trouble. This can also shut down some stally mons such as chansey, and the opposing toxapex.
Finally, I couldnt help but notice that your teams matchup to Mega Alakazam isn't the greatest, although I'm no expert builder so I can't help you with that.
That's about it.

Ok first off, on Kartana replace Psycho Cut. Leaf Blade does everything Psycho Cut does but also hits waters, rocks grounds. Only thing Psycho Cut would hit Over LB would be Lucha, but Lucha one-shots you anyways.
Bulu generally doesn't run Synthesis, lefties and grassy are generally enough with the bulk, so I'd run Toxic or Stone Edge over Synthesis.
On Pex, Scald over Baneful Bunker, the point isn't to deal damage it's to fish for burns to cripple steels like MScizor, Ferro, Kartana etc.
Also Band Victini is more of a wallbreaker than sweeper, so I'd change that in the OP.
@above TTar and Bulu kills Alaka wdym

Ok first off, on Kartana replace Psycho Cut. Leaf Blade does everything Psycho Cut does but also hits waters, rocks grounds. Only thing Psycho Cut would hit Over LB would be Lucha, but Lucha one-shots you anyways.
Bulu generally doesn't run Synthesis, lefties and grassy are generally enough with the bulk, so I'd run Toxic or Stone Edge over Synthesis.
On Pex, Scald over Baneful Bunker, the point isn't to deal damage it's to fish for burns to cripple steels like MScizor, Ferro, Kartana etc.
Also Band Victini is more of a wallbreaker than sweeper, so I'd change that in the OP.
ok and what would you recommend agaisnt leaf storm serpirior (you can switch mons for example landorus against gliscor)

Last edited:
Hello! Here goes the rate.
1. I would replace Psycho cut on kartana with knock off, as that is pretty standard and useful to have on kartana, as it can catch swaps and remove items.
2. Toxic and Baneful bunker on pex isnt the best option. Instead of baneful bunker, try scald, so you can fish for burns to cripple some physical attackers that could otherwise be threats.
3. On victini, try using trick instead of brick break as you can trick your choice band to other mons to limit their attacks and cause them trouble. This can also shut down some stally mons such as chansey, and the opposing toxapex.
Finally, I couldnt help but notice that your teams matchup to Mega Alakazam isn't the greatest, although I'm no expert builder so I can't help you with that.
That's about it.
ok and what would you recommend agaisnt leaf storm serpirior (you can switch mons for example landorus against gliscor)

I'm not very good at replacing mons but id definitely say spdef heatran, since it hardwalls serperior, the only problem being glare, but it will eat up serperiors leaf storms.

Yes they do, but alaka can hit ttar hard with a focus blast, and ko it after some hazard damage for sure. Bulu can probably take a psychic, but after it gets worn down, it will be hard to stop it, hence why synthesis is needed to keep it healthy.

Yes they do, but alaka can hit ttar hard with a focus blast, and ko it after some hazard damage for sure. Bulu can probably take a psychic, but after it gets worn down, it will be hard to stop it, hence why synthesis is needed to keep it healthy.
most zammies don't stay in since focus blast has hella low accuracy and mostly aim to nail it in the switch, so ttar usually pursuit traps zammy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)