ORAS Doubles OU tears.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What an unironically good song.

Hi I'm Elise and I decided to make an RMT considering I'm not in this seasonals and I got haxed out of open. I built this team with Matame so kudos to him please don't bash me for my meta opinions

In-depth
@

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Gengar is a really cool Pokemon that has a bunch of poor matchups but also has a lot of stellar matchups. Its high Speed and Special Attack in combination with its powerful STAB attacks makes it a potent special attacker. However, its most significant niche is its ability Shadow Tag. Trapping makes Mega Gengar extremely fearsome in certain matchups.

Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are the standard STAB moves. I decided to go for Taunt to make our Trick Room matchup even stronger actually, while also being able to annoy other stuff, such as Recover Gastrodon ;__;

The EV spread is quite simple, just make it as fast as possible. I guess you could run Modest but I think you miss out on the Deoxys-Attack outspeed which wouldn't be too nice due to it simply killing you.

@

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 128 SpA / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

One of the matchups Gengar struggles with is the Landorus-Therian matchup. The Scarf variant will be able to OHKO it especially as I am not running Will-O-Wisp on Gengar. Rotom-Wash has a great Landorus-Therian matchup, being able to switch into Earthquakes and forcing it out with Hydro Pump and/or Will-O-Wisp. Will-O-Wisp also does a nice job at crippling other stuff such as Mega Kangaskhan (trapping it with Mega Gengar) and stuff like Hoopa-Unbound which also annoys Gengar. It also has a sweet Talonflame matchup which Gengar can struggle with as well.

Hydro Pump is obviously it's main STAB move. Not very powerful but still threatens Heatran and Landorus-Therian while also doing some nice damage to things such as Hoopa-Unbound and Jirachi. Thunderbolt deals damage to the Water-types, mainly Volcanion and Azumarill. Will-O-Wisp is useful for the aforementioned matchups. Protect is the last move which should be quite obvious.

The EV spread makes Rotom-Wash live an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out and Return, a Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor, and the 12 speed EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian under Tailwind. The rest was put in Special Attack.

@

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

Sylveon does a nice thing here that basically all Sylveon variants struggle to do; be able to punish Amoonguss for clicking Spore. It also has a nice matchup vs Dragons which is quite crucial as Rotom-Wash can't hurt them while Gengar struggles with Hydreigon.

I personally think CM Sub Sylv is the best set for it right now, as it gives you the freedom of switching around moves while also being able to punish Amoonguss for clicking Spore. You mitigate some matchups by setting up Substitute and like other games it can win from team preview (almost as CM Cresselia) being able to set up a lot of Calm Minds. Pixie Plate is the obvious choice as you still boost the Hyper Voice damage while not taking damage from Life Orb.

The EV spread is full Special Attack, enough speed to outspeed a 252+ Latios in your own Tailwind and the rest in HP.

@

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Scrafty carries really nice Fake Out utility, which I think can be crucial on a lot or even most teams, while improving the matchup against other common physical attackers such as Landorus-Therian and Kangaskhan with Intimidate.

Even though I could go with the based god Checkmater's High Jump Kick set to KO Kangaskhan but it wasn't necessary at all, so I just went with Drain Punch. I also think Knock Off is a very good move, barely anything really switches into it without losing something. Knocking off Landorus' Choice Scarf or Assault Vest is lovely, or something like Volcanion's Goggles or some shit.

The EV spread allows it to live a 252 Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword, despite it being a shit Pokemon. The rest was dumped into Attack probably.

@

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Protect

Latios is in my opinion a very underrated Pokemon. I feel like being a Dragon-type nuke while having another sick STAB move and speed control can be so valuable to many teams. I felt like this team highly benefited from speed control, as Sylveon, Rotom-Wash, and Scrafty all have middling speed tiers. You could probably use Dragon Pulse and get away with it but in that case you kind of lose out on the value that Draco Meteor offers which is Latios' greatest niche in my opinion. Psyshock is also an option in case you think the Cresselia matchup is truly that terrible but I don't think the difference is relevant.

Having another Amoonguss check to this team was crucial as there was nothing that could really stop Amoonguss apart from Taunt Gengar. Also I felt like the team was a little too slow and could struggle against Dragons such as Hydreigon and Kyurem-Black if not properly played around. Latios' high speed and Tailwind patch these problems up.

@

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Even though I prefer Eruptran much more over the Substitute set, it does a great job at checking Amoonguss with Safety Goggles while also being able to threaten Steel-types. Getting into a position where you can freely Heat Wave + Hyper Voice can be so powerful as there's not much that likes switching into it.

I decided to not go for Eruptran because I didn't feel like that fit on this team. It just wasn't too reliable enough when Tailwind isn't up to actually abuse Eruption, but I still feel like it's a generally pretty underlooked set so I'd heavily recommend checking it out!

Importable
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 128 SpA / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Protect

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Now I got to the shoutout section and I don't really feel like doing it. I probably highlighted over 20 people or something last time and I don't really feel like doing that again, as I'm not that desperate for likes and attention.

I still wanted to shoutout some people though for who I haven't done that before;
mostly to the people in the private room I'm good friends with.
Obviously Matame, gr8 memer hump me fuck me doesn't know I collect real education etc. Also it's totally fine to like lana del rey

Kudasai

DaAwesomeDude1 and Demantoid, two cool users and even though I don't talk to you guys as much as I talk to Matame and kudasai I just have to respect both of yours accomplishments in the tier (especially Demantoid goddamn)

FloristtheBudew, I've actually rarely met someone that is truly thinks so much about the game while he's playing it, truly thinking ahead of each turn. I'm sorry for not being the greatest testing partner and ragequitting / forfeiting quite a lot. I definitely see you winning seasonals / getting to SPL really soon if you keep it up.

qwily the love of my lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Obligatory mention of Yoda2798
(ps. how do I beat the flagship in FTL its so broken)

BlueSkiddoWeCanToo

checkmater75, I'm actually really happy to see someone improve so much in the timespan of like one and a half year. I remember when you were on Latias is Waifu and were actually shitting up the chat but now you're doing really well in tours and stuff and I'm really glad to see that, keep it up dude! :D

Some other nerds like Cubonesmother PrinceLucian Bhris Brown and obviously
SpaceBass aka edam mafia

goddamnit this shoutouts section got longer than i wanted it to

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Hi. On Gengar I like 24 HP / 68 Def / 164 SpA / 252 Spe which lets you live Talon BB or Heatran EP but still hit hard. Also Mega Gar is base 130 and Deo-A is base 150 so you don't outspeed it even with Timid. On Sylve I'd add another point to Speed so you can go before fast Thund under TW.

Also I've yet to beat the flagship despite playing 36 hours, furthest I've gotten is beating the first or second part of it iirc.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Tears is a fantastic song great choice 10/10. Just going to go through each mon and give a couple thoughts:

Yoda's Gengar suggestion is interesting, I'm not sure whether I would do it though since you have plenty of Talon and Tran checks and the added power is pretty nice for things like Mega Garde.

Something that I've been playing around with and really enjoying is Mega Gengar + Slow Pivot, it makes your trapping way more valuable because you can pick Mega Gengar's partner safely. Volt Switch > Tbolt on Washtom would give you this slow pivoting, but forcing Washtom to switch every time it uses its only accurate attack is pretty sad so maybe consider Volt > Tect?

Sub + CM Sylv is really good right now, but I'd take 20 EVs out of HP and put 4 in Speed (like Yoda suggested) and 16 in Def. That gives you an HP number that, with lefties, lets you sub 5 times. You could also take some points out of SpA because max modest usually isn't necessary but I'll leave that up to you.

I really don't like Protect on Scrafty sets unless it's 252+ LO. Stone Edge would give you a way to hit Zard since Washtom is your only way to hit it super effectively right now, or Quick Guard prevents random Sucker Punches from taking out Latios / Mega Gengar. I think either is fine, if you do go Stone Edge then AV > Sitrus is worth considering too.

Although you don't have anything weak to Fire, your Zard answers are rather limited, and Sylv+strong Ground type like Lando-T seems really dangerous for your team. So, Psyshock > Psychic is definitely worth considering since it hits both Zard Y and Sylv harder, 2HKOing both where Psychic fails to.

You're right that Eruptran doesn't really fit on this team, but I don't think SubTran does either. You already have Sylv as a sub setter, plenty of TR checks, and Goggles to deal with Amoonguss, so I'd consider any number of other moves over Sub. Stealth Rock helps against Zard and you have Mega Gengar to prevent Diancie from switching in, Flash Cannon hits Fairy-types since MGarde in Tailwind is iffy for you rn, and either Flamethrower or Magma Storm give you single-target Fire moves, with Magma Storm also providing a secondary form of trapping.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Hot team, hot song g. The team's build looks pretty solid, there's no really big weaknesses from a threat standpoint. The only part where I see the team having any real flaws is on the individual sets; in particular, some EV spreads and moves could be better optimized in order to fit the team better. I'll go through them in order of importance (as I see it).

First notable change would be running Psyshock over Psychic on Latios. You mentioned this move on your RMT and just want to make it clear that it isn't really for Cresselia; rather, it's for Mega Charizard Y and Sylveon, two Pokemon that you don't really have a quick answer for. Using Psyshock over Psychic lets you deal with those two quicker, and the faster you get rid of those two the better as Mega Charizard Y can be a bit annoying for your own Sylveon. You still retain any kind of use with Psyshock, the damage difference isn't that notable.

Next change would be changing Sylveon's spread into a more defensive one. CM Sylveon's aren't exactly a do-damage-quickly! kind of thing and from the looks of it, I think you'd want a bulkier variant in order to set up more consistently. You'd also want Leftovers over Pixie Plate for the same reason. A 216 HP / 80 Def / 128 SpA / 84 Spe spread outruns offensive Thundurus in Tailwind, makes Talonflame LO -1 BB a 3HKO with Lefties involved, and hits a Sub + HP number. If you want to keep an offensive build with Pixie Plate, I recommend taking off 4 HP EVs and putting them on Speed instead to hit the aforementioned benchmark, and run Hidden Power Ground over Substititute for stuff like Aegislash and Heatran. This is because Substitute won't really help you that much and running Substitute without Leftovers is a damn fine way to kill yourself quickly since you're not getting anything back for an aggressive move w/ its own costs.

Scrafty can run something else over Protect, in all honesty. A self-defensive move like that isn't really that needed on bulky Scafty and it'd be better off using that moveslot for something else tbh. I suggest using Quick Guard over Protect on Scrafty in order to give yourself another shield against Thundurus and Talonflame, two ever-annoying threats. It also gives you another way out against BD Azumarill if so needed. Another option on this slot would be Stone Edge for Mega Charizard Y, a threat to your team, but that's its only real target so w/e.

Last real change I suggest would be on Heatran. You're right in that ErupTran wouldn't fit here, and Safety Goggles looks like the play to make since you don't have any real switch-ins to Spore. However, Substitute doesn't really fit that much and, again, using Sub without Leftovers is shooting yourself on the foot at times. With this team, I honestly suggest that you run Stealth Rock over Substitute on Heatran. It helps with your iffy-but-manageable match-up against Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame especially while also functioning as a general damage dealer.

This last suggestion is option, but you can run a bulkier spread on Mega Gengar. The spread the other guys recommend works, and I have this 120 HP / 172 SpA / 216 Spe spread which lives the same Talonflame BB benchmark while also having better all-around bulk due to not being totally specialized and still outrunning 125s such as Weavile and Darkrai (the mirror doesn't happen common enough to go for the tie tbh).

That's all, good stuff g :pimp:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)