Test Team 29- Joint RMT, Jon and Majesan

INTRODUCTION

Team based around offensive war of attrition, as supported by Jirachi and Rotom. They work to keep themselves and the rest of the team alive by paralyzing or burning the opponent's arsenal and passing around Wish in the case of Jirachi. Paralysis is a heavy theme of this team, as it allows CMSub Latias to set up even more easily, and gives Rhyperior the ability to threaten literally everything once it's no longer outsped by the opponent.

TYPE CHART

AT A GLANCE
|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|

A CLOSER LOOK

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf *** MOTHER FUCKERS
  • Sand Stream
  • 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 Spa
  • Hasty Nature [+Speed, -Defence]
  • Moveset:
  • Pursuit - STAB Pursuit devastates any Gengar or Azelf lead, and most fleeing Latias, Starmie, Celebi, or pretty much any frail pokemon trying to get away. Allows Tyranitar to serve its purpose in destroying the opponent's lead no matter what.
  • Earthquake - Earthquake's coverage on Steel types, most particularly Heatran and Metagross, is basically necessary to prevent an auto-loss to those leads. No other move lets me take out both of them. While you might argue Superpower is better since being locked into EQ often leads into a free setup for the opponent, Superpower's -1 drop is in no way better, especially given the kind of Pokemon that like to come in on Earthquakes--all Flying, Ghost, and Psychic types.
  • Hidden Power Grass - This move allows us to take out Swampert leads with a 2HKO. Swampert can't OHKO back, so it'll always lose. The best it can do is set up Stealth Rocks. The damage this move causes often allows someone else to take Swampert out later if it flees.
  • Stone Edge - While not as necessary on this set as other sets Tyranitar runs, Stone Edge's outrageous attack power from Tyranitar makes it a keeper. This allows Tyrantiar to have a fighting chance against the many Flying-types currently in the metagame.
[*]Why this Pokemon?:

This slot was decided early on to require a Sandstormer. Hippowdon was terrible for the team's offensive synergy in general, but Tyranitar's ground and fighting weaknesses made it a bad choice as well. We eventually decided to mitigate our losses by decided that Choice Scarf Tyranitar should be the lead. In itself, it's not a particularly devastating lead, 2HKO'ing most of the common leads, but its ability to take out many Pokemon that directly threaten Rhyperior with this set makes it worth the weaknesses.

[*]EVs & Nature:

• 248 Speed and the Jolly nature allow Tyranitar to outspeed all base 115 or lower Pokemon without a Scarf themselves. The decision to use only 248 EVs was made when considering Superpower, as this would allow opposing Tyranitar to exhause their Superpowers first and then let us KO back, since their defenses would be lowered.
  • 252 Attack allows Tyranitar to attack for maximum power.
  • 8 Special ATtack marginally increases the power of Hidden Power Grass.
[*]Considered Changes

N/A
[*]Lead Maneuvers:

• Metagross: Earthquake initially, and if they Stealth Rock, anticipate a switch and change to Zapdos. This way, even if a Steel move is launched, it will be resisted, and if the switch to a flying type is made, Zapdos immediately threatens with Discharge.
  • Azelf: Pursuit. While we can't stop Azelf from setting up Stealth Rock if it's sashed, Pursuit will stop it from doing anything else.
  • Jirachi: Earthquaking is the best option available, as even a max attack Choice Scarf Iron Head won't KO. If it chooses to set up Stealth Rocks anyways, the same procedure can be followed as Metagross, given its typing.
  • Swampert: Hidden Power Grass for the 2HKO.
  • Aerodactyl: Stone Edge typically takes care of things, though if it misses we're in danger of being 2HKO'd, typically.
  • Infernape: An Earthquake will OHKO after Sandstorm, so hopefully they're dumb enough to Fake Out before doing whatever it is they do. Otherwise, Close Combat will KO Tyranitar, or Rocks will be put up. Either way, it's an even trade.
  • Hippowdon: Hippowdon is a pain. Switch to Rotom and set up Substitute.
  • Bronzong: Bronzong leads are basically a joke. They allow Rhyperior to come in and set up for free, since Gyro Ball does laughable damage to something as slow as Rhyperior.
  • Ninjask: Spamming Pursuit typically prevents Ninjask from being particularly effective, since it will always break the Substitutes, and if it Baton Passes away, then whatever comes in eats an EBP 120 attack from Tyranitar, assuming neutral type effectiveness.
  • Tyranitar: Earthquake? I'm not sure what a typical Tyranitar lead runs, so it'd mostly be a guess, especially since there's more than one set of options as to what the opponent may have.

Jirachi @ Leftovers *** ON A BOAT
  • Serene Grace
  • 252 HP | 40 Defense | 216 SpDef
  • Careful Nature [+Special Defense, -Special Attack]
  • Moveset:
  • Wish - This move is the main reason to use Jirachi. With it, Jirachi can stall out opposing special walls, give teammates recovery as well as a relatively damage-free switch in, and basically hold the team together in terms of survival. Wish is easily one of the best moves available to a team.
  • Thunder Wave - The first example of Paralysis on the team, Thunder Wave allows my Pokemon to set up while crippling the opponents' Pokemon. Even if no full paralysis occurs, the reduction in speed is vital to making it easier for this team to sweep.
  • U-Turn - This move allows me to see what my paralyzed opponent will do after I use Wish and pass it on, checking if they assume Jirachi will stay in or if they predict my swap to an already-damaged teammate--or both. The scouting ability makes playing this team a little easier, as additional knowledge is always useful when playing offensively.
  • Stealth Rock - I personally hate having this move on my teams. Stealth Rock is ridiculously overrated in my opinion, and more often than not I just abuse everyone's tendency to use it to score one of more kills off of my opponent's lead as they waste their bulk setting up an entry hazard my playstyle makes irrelevant most of the time. However, in this case, it is necessary, as many 2HKOs for Rhyperior become OHKOs with Stealth Rock, and with Stone Edge's limited PP, wasting PP on Pokemon with 2% HP left isn't an option.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Jirachi's resistance to Ice moves makes it pretty useful on this team, considering I have three ice-weak Pokemon. It is mostly in a support role here, spreading status to the opponent and recovery for me. Since nothing else gets Wish and resists Ice moves, Jirachi was a natural choice, especially considering its insane special bulk potential.
    [*]EVs & Nature:

[*]216 Special Defense EVs allow for bulk of unheard-of proportions, making Starmie's LO Hydro Pump a 3HKO at best. No water-type can break this wall.
    [*]252 HP allows Jirachi to have incredible ability to survive attacks, rivaling Blissey almost for how much punishment it can take from the special spectrum. This also helps it resist physical attacks better when coupled with its defense EVs.
    [*]40 Defense EVs are mostly filler to give Jirachi increased survivability in the face of attackers.
[*]Considered Changes

I'd like to fit Protect in there somewhere, as this truly allows Jirachi to stall, but running Jirachi with no attacks is a bad idea, and Stealth Rock is unfortunately necessary.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers *** NOM NOM NOM
  • Solid Rock
  • 132 HP | 192 Atk | 168 Speed | 16 SpDef
  • Adamant Nature [+ Attack, - Special Attack]
  • Moveset:
  • Substitute - One of my favorite moves, Substitute allows Rhyperior to completely ignore status, particularly the aggrievating Burn and Toxic that many walls like to throw around to act tougher than they really are. With those elements eliminated, Blissey and Rotom-A become mere nuisances incapable of breaking the substitute in a single hit, letting Rhyperior set up with ease.
  • Swords Dance - After one Swords Dance, Rhyperior's attack jumps to an astounding 800, something Salamence only wishes it could do. At this level, very few Pokemon stand a chance of standing up to Rhyperior without the ability to both resist its moves and very large amounts of bulk.
  • Stone Edge - Rhyperior's first STAB allows him to hit Flying types, Levitators, Grass types, and just about anything that resists Earthquake for just as damning damage as Earthquake normally strikes for. This move allows Rhyperior to take care of Celebi, Latias, Rotom-A, Skarmory, and Gliscor, all Pokemon who are 2HKO'd at worst.
  • Earthquake - The other STAB move that gets the most use. Allows Rhyperior to eat through most Steel, Rock, and Fire types, paving the way for other Pokemon on this team to have free reign.
[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Rhyperior is, as stated, simply one of the best wallbreakers available. Whereas Heracross has fallen out of favor due to its lack of bulk and priority, Rhyperior can make up for that with so much defensive bulk and attack power as to make its weaknesses and slow speed almost irrelevant in most matchups. Not even +2 Life Orb Metagross can manage to OHKO this behemoth, let alone any Salamence. With Sandstorm in play, its poor Special Defense is partially shored up, letting Rhyperior destroy even more Pokemon 1 v 1.

[*]EVs & Nature:

• 16 Special Defense is mostly filler, but it does allow Rhyperior's subs to survive certain special attacks. It gives Rhyperior a Special Defense of 150, which, when combined with Sandstorm, increases it to 225, a number which is not all that bad. (For reference, your standard Gliscor only has 187 Special defense, AND less HP than Rhyperior, AND typically less Defense unless it's running Impish over Jolly.)
  • 196 Attack is the maximum attack allowed given the necessary bulk investments.
  • 132 HP gives Rhyperior 404 HP, necessary to resist Seismic Tosses.
  • 168 Speed allows Rhyperior to outspeed Swampert, Porygon2, and Machamp, assuming they don't invest in much speed.
[*]Considered Changes

N/A

Zapdos @ Leftovers *** HOLY SHIT WTF
  • Pressure
  • 248 HP l 148 Defence l 108 Speed
  • Bold Nature[+ Defence, - Attack
  • Moveset
  • Discharge- Now, our team is made to support a Rhyperior sweep, and one of the best ways of doing this is by Parylizing the opponent. Discharge has a 30% chance of Parylisis, which is very good for our team. The drop is power isnt that significant, as it still maims Bulky Waters such as Suicune and Vaporeon.
  • HP Ice- HP Ice serves as a great check to many pokemon. It has good type coverage with T Bolt, hitting the grass types that resist T Bolt, and the Ground types. Flygon like to Outrage I have found, and an Outrage from ScarfGon does around 35-40%, so I can destroy it with HP Ice.
  • Heat Wave- When we decided on Zapdos, Scizor was a problem to our team. Heat Wave just destroys it, 0HKOing even SP Def Scizor. Heat Wave also destroys Celebi, who can easily stop Rhyperior with a Leaf Storm, as it has Naatural Cure, so Paralysis doesnt hinder it. This is very important if we are to secure a Rhyperior sweep.
  • RoostPeople might just say " It heals my pokemon when its at low health." It does much more than that. As well has healing me, it helps stall out weak super effective moves, especially with pressure. Countless times I have stalled a Rotom in hail team with Blizzard, only taking 20% every time I roost. This could have stopped my Rhyperior sweep, so even a move that doesnt seem that significant is actually pretty important..
[*]Why this pokemon?:

At the time, we needed a Scizor counter, and we were looking for something that synergized well with Rhyperior in terms of taking out his counters. Zapdos fitted this role, while also being able to help out Rhyperior with Discharge. Zapdos gave us a way to beat Scizor easily, as it was a pain to both Ttar and Rhyperior. Zapdos has one of the key players for the team, often killing off Bulky Waters such as Cune, or just Parylizing threats such as ScarfRachi.

[*]EVs & Nature:

• 248 Hp EVs enable Zapdos to switch 5 times into Stealth Rock, where as if we had 252 we would only be able to switch in 4. We still retain alot of bulk.
  • 108 Speed lets us outpace Max Speed Breloom and other max speed Base 70s and below.
  • 148 Defence and a Bold nature give us maximum Defensive bulk after the other evs have been distributed.
[*]Considered Changes

Maybe Toxic>Heat Wave, since Scizor is dealt with very well by Rotom and Zapdos, and it is easy to kill without the aid of Heat Wave. Toxic could help against CM Cune, who is a pest at the worst of times.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers *** I KILL JEWS
  • Levitate
  • 252 HP | 168 Spe| 70 SpDef
  • Timid Nature [+Speed, -Attack]
  • Moveset:
  • Substitute - Once again, Substitute comes in great handy for blocking otherwise fatal attacks and allowing me to scout the opponent's moves. Thanks to Pain Split, the 25% HP cut isn't even that bad.
  • Pain Split - This attack works amazingly well, restoring usually in excess of 20% HP on an otherwise recovery-less Pokemon as well as damaging the opponent. Thanks to Substitute, this number can usually be increased even higher, for great returns using this move.
  • Will-o-Wisp - Rotom's almost iconic move, Will-o-wisp allows Rotom to shut down any non-fire type physical attacker, making them helpless in the face of Sub-Pain Split.
  • Thunderbolt - Rotom's final move allows it to attack for great effect on most Pokemon not resisting Electric, as a base 107 Special Attack is definitely considerable with STAB.
[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Rotom's toughness, great typing, and ability to burn opponents makes it a must-have for this team. It makes Scizor a complete non-issue and also turns most physical attackers into setup fodder for the incomparably bulky Rhyperior.

[*]EVs & Nature:

• 252 HP Allows Rotom to have a usable HP, as base 50 isn't very good for a wall. 252 HP allows Rotom to make do in standard play with 304 HP.
  • 168 Speed and Timid lets Rotom outspeed all base 80's and below, letting Thunderbolt get the drop on most Suicune as well.
  • 88 Special Defense lets Rotom take special hits marginally better, as it has pretty much no defense against them besides its bulk and toughness.
[*]Considered Changes

None, really.

Latias @ Leftovers *** PROSTITUTION
  • Levitate
  • 96 HP l 168 Special Attack l 240 Speed l 4 Defence
  • Timid Nature+ Speed, - Attack
  • Moveset
  • Calm Mind- Calm Mind is one of the moves that makes Latias so dangerous. If I have a Sub up, and I get a Calm Mind up against a weak special attacker with Ice Beam, like CroCune, I can start to cm in its face and smack it as hard as I can. Without Calm Mind, Latias wouldnt be as big a threat.
  • Substitute- This move works very well with Latias. I can bring it in on something I threaten, and sub up, essentially scouting for Tar and Scizor, or even a CB Snorlax. This is very helpful, as I can switch to an appropriate counter. Tar also troubles Zapdos, so being able to scout it is very good.
  • Dragon Pulse- Dragon Pulse is Latias main attacking move. Every thing that is hit neutrally by a +1 STAB Dragon Pulse is gonna get hurt, and those that are hit super-effectively, well, its a bad day for them.
  • Surf- Surf has great coverage with D Pulse, hitting those pesky Steel types who try to wall Latias. It hits Ground types very hard, such as Gliscor who my team has trouble with, especially TauntToxic Variants..
[*]Why this pokemon?:

Latias is generally a very good pokemon. It has very good coverage with Tyranitar, and helps the team against annoying pokemon that would otherwise pesker our team, such as Gliscor. Latias also serves as a scout, utilising Substitute to search for Ttars and Rhyperiors. Before we didnt have a Latias, but sometimes Rhyperior failed to do his job, so we needed something to fill in the holes it left. Latias provided this for us, while having good synergy with the other teammates.

[*]EVs & Nature:

• 96 HP Gives us maximum bulk after the other evs have been distributed.
  • 240 Speed and a Timid nature allow us to Outspeed Infernape and Salamence. We lose speed ties with Gengar however.
  • 168 Special Attack give us maximum power after Evs have been distributed.
  • 4 Defence gives us a little Defensive bulk after evs have been distributed.
[*]Considered Changes

Grass Knot>Surf could be an option, though we lose the option to hit Gliscor harder.

CONCLUSION
Rate team plox.
THREAT LIST:
Seaking can OHKO my whole team with Rain Dance in effect. FUCK YEAH.

In fact, both Rain and Sun are pretty scary. Bar Tyranitar, there's no real options here for most of our Pokemon to deal with it. Hail gets shat on by Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Rhyperior, so no worries there.

If you want a wallbreaker why not use the standard mixmence set? It can beat walls much better than period and doesn't have such bad typing. Sorry I'd give a larger rate bit I'm on my iPod.

MixMence over Rhyperior?! Rhyperior is what the team was built around, and I was saying that it functions as one aswell.

What I don't like about this team is that it won't beat stall. Blissey sits on half the team and someone like Gliscor sits on the other half the team. I want to say your allout Utility Jirachi needs to be replaced since he provides little utility against stall (Thunder Wave works against opposing offense, stall doesn't care), but then you open yourself up to opposing dragon attacks to hammer your team and you would still have to find room for Stealth Rock.

I don't think I really have a fix, it is more of just a comment on your team. I see what you're trying to do, but I just don't see this team beating well played stall. Jirachi, Zapdos, Latias, and Rotom are all suspect pokemon that might need to be shuffled around to help your team compete against stall. One of those members will have to give to help your team out. I would lean on Rotom being replaced, though a somewhat bulky Zapdos and Stealth Rock would leave you really weak to U-Turn spam CB Scizor still. I would maybe look for a balance on a pokemon that can handle Scizor, but can also help your team break down stall. The more I type I realize that a +Speed, Life Orb Heatran with something like Fire Blast/HP:Grass/Earth Power/Explosion would help you out. You would need Tyranitar to take care of Latias since she appears on stall more and more each day, but if you found a way to trap Latias and let Heatran loose Heatran can help shake up the core of a stall team by blowing up on Blissey if necessary and still providing utility against Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)