The Action Replay debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does AR give you an advantage in a battle if your pokemon aren't hacked to have illegal moves, stats, IVs, or EVs?

If you cheat, at least do the people who have put time and effort into their teams a favor and say so. I will still go up against a perfect 31 team with my legit Pokemon but I would like to know beforehand.

As for hacking rare candies and masterballs and all that, I have no problem with it because most people abuse the GTS glitch with the same result. I also think Nintendo's publicity policy of only holding events in NY instead of over wifi is bullshit so hacking their items is fine imo. Just remember, at the end of the day, Nintendo is going to view both GTS cloning and using AR as cheating (much like they don't acknowledge "glitch" japanese Darkrai and Shaymin), so use at your own risk.

The game is a lot funner if you don't cheat your way to perfection, by the way. All you have to do is breed a few decent guys while watching TV or whatever, clone and trade them for everything else you need, and you're done, AND you'll feel better about your team.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As for the people who "don't have time", why in the world are you playing a role-playing fantasy game where battles can take over 30 minutes?
Pokemon battling is not the same as pokemon breeding. I know they both start with "B" which can be tricky but please try not to confuse the two. Breeding for a single pokemon requires more time on average than battling does. Battling also requires six of these pokemon.. This is first and foremost a competitive battling site.. not a competitive breeding site. We focus on the strategy involved with battling and specifically human vs human battling. The core of this community is here because they like battling. I'd rather waste hours of my time playing the part of the game I actually enjoy instead of the part that Jumpman does while driving 80mph. Yes, breeding requires that much brain activity.

I see where the "time and effort" thing comes into play and making it unfair for competition when someone spends five minutes versus your 50 hours on a team. At the same time, however, you chose to spend those 50 hours breeding. You could just as easily have gone online and found the equipment needed to shark your pokemon. In a Smogon tournament I will be all about using only pokemon I've bred/"legally obtained." For casual battling, I have no problem with anyone sharking anything so long as it can be done in the game as well. It all comes down to how much you value your free time and how much of it you have. Jump could probably come in here and argue with me but that's how I feel about it in general. To me 60 bucks seems cheap for the amount of time I save.

I'm pretty sure most the people complaining they "don't have enough time" are full of BS. Do you watch TV? Movies? Go on the internet? Just breed while doing these things. Unlike one 30 minute battle, once you've bred something once you won't need to spend time doing it again.

Do people actually hack their team or do they just hack the parents? Cuz, hacking the parents just makes it faster, and why is that an advantage? I wouldn't hack my actual team to have the IVs that I want, I think that that would be a little mean even though I have no problem with others doing it.

I don't like personally using it, but that's just me...

My problem is battling people who've used it, to say, give their Pokemon perfect IVs, or as some of them say "make them seem legit" by giving them 28-30 in all of them. (To the topic maker, you Gallade thing was cool, just as long as you only battle people with access to those kinds of tools.)

Basically what I'm trying to say is people can use it if they want, just don't battle/trade me if you do.

ok, I used it for things like unlimited TM's, getting things I normally can't,ect. but I don't think that the all 31 cheat is legal at all. Yes if someone told me they used it in breeding for their team, i don't care- but if they used the same all 31 poke against me, i'd be pretty mad.

but I have tried the cloning code- but it doesn't work><

heck, i'll admit to using super parents on my game, but even then they were only ditto.

but my super Roselia/D-nite weren't ones made from the ditto- in fact D-nite was completely random in itself when I tried for a Male Dratini.

but I will say that I would miss it if my DS's L & R buttons broke ><

but does anyone else use the Super Exp cheat?

I only use AR for:

1) All TM/HMs
2) Rare Candies
3) Hold/Evo items
4) Max Cash

I do all breeding, EVing, etc. by myself.

I find leveling to lvl. 100 to be a waste of time, and while I will usually be battling with Wi-Fi set at 100 anyway, I still like seeing completed Pokemon in my Box.

I would consider things like quick breeding/EVing to be cheap. Not exactly cheating. But very cheap.

Obviously, stat hacks would be cheating in my book.

cloning code does work actually. you might be doing something wrong firewater. or you may have the wrong code.
I notice that people say that AR is 'cheap' which is ironic since it costs almost as much as the game. Now if gettting AR costs money then that is the 'hackers' way of paying for their team, while 'non-hackers' pay for their team with time and deication put into breeding for it.

I use to use my friends AR on my Sapphire, and personally it ruined the feeling. When I looked at my within legal boundaries (Not all 31 IV's, legal movesets and EV's) they just didnt give the same feeling as I get now when I look at the Pokemon that resulted in hardcore breeding. I have no problem with item obtaining, but creating shiny pokemon (Once again, it ruins the value when you catch one for REAL) and hacking for "Legal" stats WILL give you an advantage, so I'm against it if you don't tell the other player.

Oh really? it ruins the value of when you catch a shiny pokemon? then don't catch a shiny pokemon and the value wont get ruined. lets say that someones dream is to catch a shiny dialga, and they reset infront of it for years, and never get one, when they could have jus used AR instead. which one sounds smarter?

You guys are very nice to AR and Co.
In Germany, Guys don't even accept cloned PKMNs :P
They complain'bout... any PKMN should be unique... Cloning makes rare PKMN unrare... can't be helped.

to AR: Cloning is Ok.
Use for privat is Ok.
Use in Competive Gaming is NOT ok.

Two years ago, I saw one of my friends using an AR for his GBA game to get through it in seconds. So I bought one and I had some fun with it, getting infinites of a lot of items and such. Last year, after the JAA tournament in Philly (which TTS beat me in D:), I used it to go to Navel Rock and Birth Island and get the legendaries there.

In DP, however, I used mine for one purpose and that alone: to get the event Pokemon (Shaymin, Darkrai and Arceus).

Oh really? it ruins the value of when you catch a shiny pokemon? then don't catch a shiny pokemon and the value wont get ruined. lets say that someones dream is to catch a shiny dialga, and they reset infront of it for years, and never get one, when they could have jus used AR instead. which one sounds smarter?
Except for the fact that this scenario is highly farfetched (However you spell it)

I don't have an Action Replay (I may get one for cloning), but I'm ok with the use of it for things other than hacking pokemon with perfect IVs (actually I'm ok with that too as long as you aren't trading with or battling me...it's your game), but something that bothers me is when people use "not having time" as an excuse for hacking stuff. It is very unlikely that if you have time to actually play the game and post on online forums like this, that you don't have enough time to make Action Replay not be a necessity. Just say you don't want to spend the time, rather than you don't have time.

Also, having 31 IVs pokemon and perfect natures across the board aren't requirements for putting together a decent team and battling online. It may put you at a disadvantage, but having perfect IVs and natures does not guarentee a win in pokemon at all.
But I don't hack anything. I've never used the AR to change any values of any kind, natures included. I've just used it to pop wild blisseys to get 3 HP ev's at a time, or to get multiplue EQ/Swords Dance/Thunderbolt TM's as opposed to going with coin cases. Just to wrap up the tedious things...because I honest don't have time. I don't use that as an excuse to hack, because I don't hack anything.

As for the people who "don't have time", why in the world are you playing a role-playing fantasy game where battles can take over 30 minutes?
Well now that's just silly. Because it's a great game, lots of fun, and takes up a whole lot less time than selling your soul to an MMO. Plus, strategy games (imo) are a whole lot less of a waste of time than fps's.

AR to modify iv's is something i am totally against, even if they are legal. People spend time breeding for stuff to get the advantage only for someone to come along and take it away by creating something with perfect ivs because "they dont have time" and its "still legal"... totally unfair if you ask me.

As said though, it doesnt really take that much effort to get most of what you want legally, you just need to breed one thing thats really good and then you can use that to get a large bulk of what you want.

I have no problems with editing ivs if you both have access to it, eg. in a shoddy battle environment.

Saying this though, i don't really care if you hack items, rare candies/tms etc but ivs is a no from me

Hacking wild blisseys for EV training is about the same as just hacking your EVs without EV training at all.

And "popping" blisseys is a hack, because they don't just pop up (at lv2) in the grass normally. You had to hack the game to get it to do that.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AR to modify iv's is something i am totally against, even if they are legal. People spend time breeding for stuff to get the advantage only for someone to come along and take it away by creating something with perfect ivs because "they dont have time" and its "still legal"... totally unfair if you ask me.
How is it unfair? You can buy the tools needed to modify all this stuff as well. It's not like only certain people can buy an Action Replay and others can't. It's unfair to you because you don't have one or don't use it for this purpose. Understandable to feel this way if you take the time to breed for pokemon... but by this logic wouldn't it be unfair for a person who has less time to breed battling a person who has more time? You said it yourself you breed to get an advantage so suddenly it's unfair when it gets taken away and we're put on an even playing field??

Actually Carl, although I'm speaking on behalf of myself, not everyone can buy an AR. I certainly can't, only getting games as a present from Christmas or birthdays, so I feel I would be at a disadvantage and instead make up for it by breeding although having an AR will admittedly save time.

Hacking wild blisseys for EV training is about the same as just hacking your EVs without EV training at all.

And "popping" blisseys is a hack, because they don't just pop up (at lv2) in the grass normally. You had to hack the game to get it to do that.
AR code, not a 'hack' in the traditional sense of the word. I still had to spend a good week of EV training where I so rarely get time to sit down and dedicate time to it, but this just made it go faster. I did trade for pokerus though, I couldn't bring myself to AR that.

I think if you want perfect monsters without effort, go for NetBattle or wait for Competitor. If you're too busy to put effort into the game, rather than cheat, play something that you can actually enjoy for itself. Don't waste money on Pokémon. Or just battle fellow hackers with perfect teams made effortlessly. Don't battle other players just so you can cheat them out of a fair match. Racking up a win record by cheating to do what? Impress people online? Become 1337? Gaia Online has tons of members swarming Smogon now.. people with Wonderguard Spiritombs, Sleep Powder Honchkrows, etc. Scams have been getting pretty sick too. People trading fakes and pawning them off as real - then others finding out that the monster is fake because it turns into a bad egg or is banned from PBR. Darkrai and Arceus are nice, but I don't give a crap if they're available or not. I don't want them. Most people ban legendaries in battle anyway. With cloning and WiFi trade, people can easily spread official Arceus/Darkrai/Shaymin when they're actually released. It's not like back in the older games where only people who actually went to Nintendo Events can get a Celebi or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)