"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto has been burned!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Gust!"
Finally, now one more Ember and you're dead Falkner!
"Volkner used a Potion!"
"Nintendo DS fainted!"
Broken_Nintendo_DS.jpg

F*** anyone that only uses Roost or any other healing move to waste my PP.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
'Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto has been burned!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Roost!"
"Cyndaquil used Ember!"
"Pidgeotto used Gust!"
Finally, now one more Ember and you're dead Falkner!
"Volkner used a Potion!"
"Nintendo DS fainted!"
View attachment 117921
F*** anyone that only uses Roost or any other healing move to waste my PP.
Do you mean Falkner?

But yeah, in GS this was me but with Whitney.

Though now Latias in Ultra Moon is giving me a hassle. It has Wish to heal and Psycho Shift to transfer status ailments. *frustrated sigh*

I was playing a double battle in my last play through of Emerald and I had a Magneton and Swampert on my side facing I believe a Claydol and Lunatone (in Tate and Liza's Gym). First, the AI Skill Swapped my Magnet Pull onto their Claydol, so I couldn't escape with Magneton (and I thought "oh damn, I'm trapped and about to get KO'd by a x4 EQ). However, then they proceeded to skill swap both levitates to each of my pokemon and the second Claydol that entered the field spammed Earthquakes which I was now immune to while their previously immune pokes were now getting hit by earthquakes lol. It's a glorious sight to see a Claydol and Lunatone get hit by EQ.

The AI went from a surprisingly smart move to a really dumb move very quickly lol

I remember I was doing double battles in the mansion. The opponent had a Jolteon and a Leafeon. Jolteon used rain dance. Leafeon used sunny day. This was on the same turn. I swear if it would turn into a loop of them trying to change the weather if I didn't knock them out.

Playing through Episode RR, I’m up against Lysandre. He has his Mienshao out against my Oricorio-F. I decide to try and exploit his High Jump Kick and use Fly, but his Mienshao outsped me and got some damage off.

So with his Mienshao known to outspeed me and Lysandre knowing it won’t hit me because my Oricorio hasn’t come down yet, what move does he use?

High Jump Kick.

Playing through Episode RR, I’m up against Lysandre. He has his Mienshao out against my Oricorio-F. I decide to try and exploit his High Jump Kick and use Fly, but his Mienshao outsped me and got some damage off.

So with his Mienshao known to outspeed me and Lysandre knowing it won’t hit me because my Oricorio hasn’t come down yet, what move does he use?

High Jump Kick.
Could be worse. You could have a Sensu Oricorio :P

So I'm replaying Ultra Sun and I'm up to Lusamine:

>I have Leafeon on my side of the field
>She has Lopunny
>Sun is up due to my Torkoal's Drought ability
>Her Lopunny uses THUNDER PUNCH
>And didn't even think to use Fire Punch until AFTER sun ran out

In the same battle, her Clefable used Charm on my (Liquid Ooze) Tentacruel, despite having Psychic in that thing's moveset. Though that may be excusable since maybe the AI thinks I'm using physical moves on my Tentacruel. (Why would I lol) But the Lopunny thing, even if it doesn't take into account weather, the AI SHOULD'VE used the Fire-type move on my Grass-type. Or even Ice Punch would be less stupid than this since Grass is also weak to Ice.

I would assume that similar behavior is due to how the AI picks moves on facilities (thus, potentially, on boss fights in USUM):

The move picking is very likely based on weighted rolls: this means that even though there's a very high chance highest damage move is selected, it's not completely guaranteed and there's always a minor chance it does something else :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I'm replaying Ultra Sun and I'm up to Lusamine:

>I have Leafeon on my side of the field
>She has Lopunny
>Sun is up due to my Torkoal's Drought ability
>Her Lopunny uses THUNDER PUNCH
>And didn't even think to use Fire Punch until AFTER sun ran out

In the same battle, her Clefable used Charm on my (Liquid Ooze) Tentacruel, despite having Psychic in that thing's moveset. Though that may be excusable since maybe the AI thinks I'm using physical moves on my Tentacruel. (Why would I lol) But the Lopunny thing, even if it doesn't take into account weather, the AI SHOULD'VE used the Fire-type move on my Grass-type. Or even Ice Punch would be less stupid than this since Grass is also weak to Ice.
Maybe the AI was trying to go for Paralysis with Thunder Punch?

I was doing the Rainbow Rocket episode in USM and I had my Primaria out against an Arbok. Arbok used crunch for some reason. Did Arbok really not have any stab attacks on it? Looking it up of Serebii the Arbok had thunder fang, I wonder why it didn't use it.

I was playing pokemon crystal when I got to the Ecruteak City gym. The trainers there were rather fond of using curse, at less than half health, on their last pokemon...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was doing the Rainbow Rocket episode in USM and I had my Primaria out against an Arbok. Arbok used crunch for some reason. Did Arbok really not have any stab attacks on it? Looking it up of Serebii the Arbok had thunder fang, I wonder why it didn't use it.

I was playing pokemon crystal when I got to the Ecruteak City gym. The trainers there were rather fond of using curse, at less than half health, on their last pokemon...
Did Crunch crit or get a Def drop? The AI can sometimes see the RNG seed and will prioritize using a move it knows is getting a secondary effect.

Well Team RR Grunts aren't exactly paid to be smart...

So, I give the AI more healing items in my Ultra Moon hack. So what happens? They go on to rarely use those healing items unlike earlier Gens. I swear there's fights they could've won if they'd just pop one of said healing items. But no, they have to just "fight back" and fight "cinematically" and not try to win with everything they've got. The Gen 7 AI is definitely a step up from previous Gens' AI overall I'd say, but it's still really dumb.

I don't know if not using healing items that weren't programmed to exist in their inventory to begin with makes them "dumb"
They use the same AIs as the other Trainers that originally used items, so it's not that. And I'm not sure how much healing item usage is tied to how "smart" and AI is. It is tied to the amount of Pokémon a Trainer uses (since at least Gen 4), but even then the Gen 7 AI uses healing items less than previous Gens' AI.

I was playing Pokemon Battle Revolution. I had a Gible and Corsola on my side and my foe had out a Flaafy. The trainer proceeded to use thunder shock on my Gible, twice in a row.

We have talked about Hau, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning the actual time Hau's AI's horrible understanding on Z-Moves could directly screw you up? Admittedly this only happens if one picked Rowlet (and I picked Popplio in both games).

I meant, multi-battle (particularly in Aether Raid). Primarina's Z-Sparkling Aria. On your Pokemon's face thanks to the AI thinking it'll do something great with Sparkling Aria's secondary effect of curing Burn, even greater with Z-move (doesn't help that it becomes 1-target-specific move), resulting in "here, I'll help you cure your nonexistent burn with Z-water right on your face, what can go wrong?" [insert stupid grin here]
(Naturally this applies to every Primarina carrying Z-water and Sparkling Aria, so be careful in picking your Tree's Multi partner)

We have talked about Hau, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning the actual time Hau's AI's horrible understanding on Z-Moves could directly screw you up? Admittedly this only happens if one picked Rowlet (and I picked Popplio in both games).

I meant, multi-battle (particularly in Aether Raid). Primarina's Z-Sparkling Aria. On your Pokemon's face thanks to the AI thinking it'll do something great with Sparkling Aria's secondary effect of curing Burn, even greater with Z-move (doesn't help that it becomes 1-target-specific move), resulting in "here, I'll help you cure your nonexistent burn with Z-water right on your face, what can go wrong?" [insert stupid grin here]
(Naturally this applies to every Primarina carrying Z-water and Sparkling Aria, so be careful in picking your Tree's Multi partner)
The AI actually hitting partner (human or not) with spread moves actually is relatively standard on tree, but yes, the fact Hau can actually hit your face in SM was a pretty significant oversight in the AI design.

I actually don't think that can happen in USUM though... I don't remind if they removed that double battle completely, or simply improved it, been too much time.

Was doing UM semi-blind, got completely flatfooted by a surprise Hau battle in Malie with a team that is completely unprepared for his Raichu. The only pokemon I had that wasn't weak to either electric/psychic were all close to OHKO'd anyways (not even x-item could save me), but while desperately shuffling mons around I noticed one thing - for some reason, he completely does not want to attack Murkrow with Electro Ball and will instead bash it with Quick Attack. Two Thieves later and I managed to get past that battle with only one casualty.

The AI actually hitting partner (human or not) with spread moves actually is relatively standard on tree, but yes, the fact Hau can actually hit your face in SM was a pretty significant oversight in the AI design.

I actually don't think that can happen in USUM though... I don't remind if they removed that double battle completely, or simply improved it, been too much time.
It's been changed. Hau's starters don't have their signature moves, and are holding the generic type-specific Z-crystals. (so his Primarina can launch a Hyrdo Vortex off of Water Pulse)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)