The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Just yesterday in the XY Battle Chateau now one, but the two, audinos of one of the kimnono girls was hell bent on using healing move in my pokemon. Uh, ok? Yeah those 10 HP points my Talonflame was missing are nice, thanks. I fly on it (because that talonflame is my hatching pokemon and I farm money at the Battle Chateau) and it faints. Then her next and last audino does exactly the same thing.

In eight years I have never had such a face palm worthy experience and that's counting all those useless stat boosting moves.

Boldore: "Uh oh, here comes a water type about to use surf. I better double my defense stat while my ability Sturdy remains intact."

Audino: "Oh, your HP is low!" *Uses Heal Pulse.

Well, for me, a particular battle subway/frontier Pokémon (a Claydol, I think) had access only to ground type and status moves. So after using substitute with my Gyarados I was able to maximise attack and speed with dragon dance while he continuously tried to EQ/Light Screen/Toxic me to death. No switching or anything.

In eight years I have never had such a face palm worthy experience and that's counting all those useless stat boosting moves.
What are you saying exactly here? Stats can be incredibly useful!

I remember that wild latios in black 2 who kept spamming heal pulse to heal my pokemon until i caught him. Can't remember his moves but was sure it had at least one damaging move
In Gen 5, a level 68 Latios has Heal Pulse, Dragon Dance, Psychic and Psycho Shift. So yeah, it could have damaged you unless you were dark type.

Regardless I think it's well established by now that wild Pokémon don't necessarily count in this; as five times out of ten they will do something dumb because they have no AI, their only programming being to choose a random move out of four (or run if they're roamers or gen 2 phanpy or whatever). I think the point of this thread is to call trainers and such out on making sub-par choices, because they actually have AI and hence it's much more surprising and humourous whenever they mess up.

This was a VS Recorder Rematch. My AI opponent had two Pokémon left, the active one was a Talonflame. It had used Flare Blitz and was apparently locked into it by a Choice Band. I had Vaporeon out. It never switched Pokémon despite that Flare Blitz did about 1/8-1/4 HP every turn, which thanks to Leftovers, Wish, and Protect, wasn't hard to get back.

Well, for me, a particular battle subway/frontier Pokémon (a Claydol, I think) had access only to ground type and status moves. So after using substitute with my Gyarados I was able to maximise attack and speed with dragon dance while he continuously tried to EQ/Light Screen/Toxic me to death. No switching or anything.

What are you saying exactly here? Stats can be incredibly useful!
I just saw this?
Yeah. But not when you are ridiculously outspeeded and overleveled and the other Pokemon is going to kill you in one move. We're not talking about competitive battling here when boosting oneself is expected and in most cases needed, we're talking about the AI. I say useless stat boosting moves because they just make them lose an opportunity to attack and offer no advantages. And boosting your Def when the attack is coming from the special side... useless.

My personal favourite for "dumbest" was a double battle (probably in the subway): one of the opposing mons (the faster one) used Dig, then the other one used Earthquake, KOing it.

More minor things include spamming Wide Guard in singles, and movesets that are completely walled by common things (such as high-level audinos that can be beaten by a freshly caught litwick). In particular, one thing that I've noticed a lot is that most AI "boss" trainers have a lead that's easy to set up against (almost the opposite of what you want in a boss), so that the X item spam strategy can let you beat almost any fight you want to.

(The only trainer I can think of offhand who defies this pattern is Grimsley from the gen 5 elite four; his honchkrow is almost impossible to set up against due to having super luck + a high-crit move and Haze. Only time I've ever seen an AI trainer use an actually competent lead.)

All those trainers who didn't evolve their Pokémon, despite it being above the evolutionary level. Thanks for pressing B a bunch of times to make the battles easier! Does make up for those with Pokémon at illegal levels (not just bosses - there is, for example, a Route 111 trainer in R/S/E with a level 18 Ninjask)

in Alpha Sapphire I seen a Virizion do such wonderful things such as spamming Swords Dance when it already maxxed it's attack. Then later Deoxys deicdes to use Cosmic Power similarly and later, recover spamming ... at full heath

Not exactly the dumbest but Brock's Onix definitely counts. Since I was spamming Quick Attack against it (this is Pokemon Yellow and I didn't know that Fighting beats Rock at that time), it will use Bide. Since I already know it is Biding, I happily spammed stats-lowering moves like Leer and Growl instead. You would think that Onix would have wised up and picked Tackle but nope. He continued Biding until I eventually kill him with Quick Attack.

The same thing happens with Lance's Dragonite in Red and Blue who spammed Agility against a Lv 7 Bulbasaur who wins with Leech Seed.

Helping my sis with the Delta episode, batting Courneny and a grunt and the first thing her mega Camerupt does? Earthquake, knocking out the Mightyena the grunt had. I'm not sure if's it was stuid or brilliant considering the trainer.

Ironiclay, it was an Earthquake from Steven's Aggron that did the camerupt in

Not exactly the dumbest but Brock's Onix definitely counts. Since I was spamming Quick Attack against it (this is Pokemon Yellow and I didn't know that Fighting beats Rock at that time), it will use Bide. Since I already know it is Biding, I happily spammed stats-lowering moves like Leer and Growl instead. You would think that Onix would have wised up and picked Tackle but nope. He continued Biding until I eventually kill him with Quick Attack.

The same thing happens with Lance's Dragonite in Red and Blue who spammed Agility against a Lv 7 Bulbasaur who wins with Leech Seed.
I take full advantage of that. If he starts using bide, I immediately switch to Rattata and start using Growl/Leer.

Happened with me while I was fighting Drayden in White 2 except it used Dragon Tail instead (which might or might not be worse depending on your perception).
Well, on the one hand, it's effectively a 360 BP move after STAB and 6 DD's. On the other, -6 priority and Haxorus' only average bulk makes it easy to take advantage of.

And for what it's worth, in BW1, Drayden/Iris' Haxorus has Dragon Tail as its only STAB iirc. On topic, when I faced it, it ended up spamming DD after it already got to +6. Maybe the fact that I managed to paralyze it (courtesy of Dragon Breath from Archeops) made it want to crank up its speed to make up for it.

Just yesterday, in my battle with archie, i had a skarmory with spikes and he had his muk. Because Skarm completely walls Muk, he should had just sacrificed Muk, but he decided to switch toward sharpedo (his mvp) as iwas up in the air using fly. As i had sword danced, i kod him after he mega'd, which just left the Muk.

Seriously, i wish the Evil Teams did not use use just Mightyena and Poison types, and at least taught them TMs.

Just yesterday, in my battle with archie, i had a skarmory with spikes and he had his muk. Because Skarm completely walls Muk, he should had just sacrificed Muk, but he decided to switch toward sharpedo (his mvp) as iwas up in the air using fly. As i had sword danced, i kod him after he mega'd, which just left the Muk.

Seriously, i wish the Evil Teams did not use use just Mightyena and Poison types, and at least taught them TMs.
Trainers are hard-programmed to switch if their current Pokémon literally can't do a single thing to your current Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)