The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another year, another season. Figured I'd get this up with August underway and the preseason fast approaching. I suppose we could discuss our seasonal predictions, with our picks for surprises and disappointments.

Also, on Favre and Vick. Who here thinks Favre is gonna play again? Is Michael Vick good enough to land a starting job somewhere? Discuss.

I'm just looking forward to preseason, I'll save any other comment until its started.

other than this one... Dallas better win a playoff game this year or I will be pissed.

Here's to another Super Bowl for the Steelers :pimp:

But how do you guys feel about the whole Ben Rothleisberger rape scandal?

Looking forward to Seahawks turning around last season's disaster. Little bit worried that Trufant is sidelining at the moment though, especially with the news that they've just signed another CB. Uh-oh.

Also, it's about damn time Curry got signed. Three days training camp missed is beginning to look a little sketchy.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To me there isn't a scandal. There wasn't enough evidence to charge him in a criminal case, which says a lot about the credibility of the accuser. To me, it's just another case of someone trying to get some attention for him/herself by taking advantage of an innocent athlete.

Seahawks ftw

I think it's telling that ESPN.com didn't have any stories about the Roethlisberger affair for over a week after it broke, and by telling I mean it showed how in the tank ESPN (and other mainstream media outlets) are for the Steelers.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To me there isn't a scandal. There wasn't enough evidence to charge him in a criminal case, which says a lot about the credibility of the accuser. To me, it's just another case of someone trying to get some attention for him/herself by taking advantage of an innocent athlete.
Completely agree. I think it's sad that people will openly lie and take advantage of a person's fame just to get money or get on TV, even if it means ruining a person's reputation and career. The problem is that, whether its true or not, it is now in people's heads, and alot of ignorant people will automatically side with the woman because of how rape and other sexual crimes are viewed in society's eyes. Now, I am not saying it's false either, as I have no access to any of the evidence, I am just saying this situation happens entirely too frequently in professional sports, and I refuse to believe that half of all athletes are rapists...

i think the chiefs will surprise some people.

i'm bummed about the roethlisberger thing. hope it doesn't affect our team this year.

The whole Crabtree situation is deplorable for the 49ers...he's seriously holding out and threatening to pull out and be re-drafted next year just cause he thinks he should be paid more than Heyward-Bey? Someone needs to slap him awake, actuality is, he was drafted below Heyward-Bey, and though he might have been rated as a better receiver, fact is he wasn't picked higher, and no way in hell should he get paid what he thinks he should make. Really, I say let him go off and get re-drafted, let him shoot himself in the foot.

i just hope tom brady is himself for this season, oh and the patriots better win their division this year or a will go completely mad. :)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I love how some team's fans take what they have for granted so badly. Us Bills fans would be happy with a season that WASN'T 7-9.

Giant's defense is absolutely impenetrable this season. The loss of Burress, Toomer, and Ward will hurt our offense a bit. Hopefully Nicks comes up big in his rookie season.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
I love how some team's fans take what they have for granted so badly. Us Bills fans would be happy with a season that WASN'T 7-9.
for real, i will personally service jim schwartz if the lions win more than 3 games this season

Hey, my team has had a lot of losing seasons. In fact, I'm not sure if they're going to do well this season = /

I'm hearing some talk around the water cooler that Vick is getting picked up by the Eagles? Anyone have a source?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
All teams have up and down times [except the Lions lol]. The Steelers spent their first 35-40 years of existence pretty much blowing hard before they got their shit together. Since then they've kind of alternated decades, being a dynasty in the 70s, crap in the 80s, decent in the 90s, and great again in the 2000s. Not sure what their all-time record is, but it can't be all that impressive. Does anyone know where to find the all time win-loss records for NFL franchises? I'd be very interested to see it.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
"Currently through the end of the 2008 season, the Steelers have a 556–522–21 (as of February 2, 2009) all-time record, including playoffs."

Yeah, pretty average overall. Slightly above .500.

Probably like everyone else, I find it a bit odd that the Eagles are picking up Vick; not to say this is a bad thing, I do think Vick deserves to play. But still...the Eagles? They already are solid at QB with McNabb, so you'd think that someone else would have picked up Vick...oh well.

Why would it be odd that the Eagles are picking up Vick. He brings them more attendance, he sits behind Donovan to learn more and then in about 6 to 7 weeks, when he's some what game ready, they can run some wildcats plays. They just jumped passed the Giants at the head of the NFC East.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)