The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just come to say that the season has ended on the best possible note. The patsies losing it is almost as good as if the Broncos had won.

Congrats, Philly, and thanks for beating the Empire.

If I were the Browns right now I'm trading for Foles with our #4 and drafting Bradley Chubb first overall but that's not my team so what do I know lol.

McDaniels introduced as Colts coach, before backing out after a discussion with Kraft/Belichick.

End of an era here, I've read ten million rumors about Belichick/Brady leaving/retiring after this year but no way McDaniels stays unless he's been promised Bill's job sometime in the near future. Or maybe money CAN buy everything.

Wow, maybe Kraft gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

There's been more and more reports going around about issues between the three heads (which could have stemmed from the Garappolo situation).

this seems like the type of thing the Patriots would lose a first round draft pick for
Maybe this is some sort of payback for DeflateGate.

In any rate, the Colts got fucked and have no coach. Pagano's out at least, so they could still have a chance to fix themselves.

It would be hilarious if Luck's progress had anything to do with it.

*Edit*

Apparently, the Colts have yet to hear from McDaniel's himself regarding the decision. If it's true, that's a shitty thing to do. He's not going to be liked around the league when he eventually takes over as HC. I'm predicting an epic downfall of the Patriots in his reign. What a storyline.

Last edited:
Real talk, I'm happy for eagles fans that finally got to see their team win a super bowl. As a fan, nothing can really match that feeling of seeing your beloved team be crowned as the champions, and I think every fan deserves to experience that elation at least once.
Thanks Man

What McDaniels did is unprofessional as fuck and he will never get a head coaching job again
I agree but Bill Belichick did the exact same thing to the Jets. Must be the Patriot way. Be unpatriotic

Last edited:
Thanks Man

I agree but Bill Belichick did the exact same thing to the Jets. Must be the Patriot way. Be unpatriotic
Well Bill was different. Bill got hired because he was promoted from within. And he didn't like the cards he was dealt - nothing wrong with that, it was unforeseeable before when he signed his contract. He went to New England because he wanted a fresher start where he wasn't part of a huge ownership change. What Josh McDaniels was just disgusting - he took the job, signed all the contracts, and then got bribed to go back to New England. Had the Colts not foreseen this and got more backup interviews, this would've FUCKED them. They're better off without them, he was just an average coach in Denver.

No contracts were signed.
So he gets lumped in with deandre Jordan as someone who will amount to nothing and be forgotten by the sports world within the next five years. He was terrible in Denver and would have been once again imo.

On a similar note I don't have a ton of faith in patricia's ability to fix our problems in detroit. This season was a litmus test of his ability to turn chicken shit into chicken salad on defense and I'd say he failed. Even if you remove the bizarre choice to cockblock butler's from the SB (which I blame on belichick's ego) he still was barely competent

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So he gets lumped in with deandre Jordan as someone who will amount to nothing and be forgotten by the sports world within the next five years. He was terrible in Denver and would have been once again imo.

On a similar note I don't have a ton of faith in patricia's ability to fix our problems in detroit. This season was a litmus test of his ability to turn chicken shit into chicken salad on defense and I'd say he failed. Even if you remove the bizarre choice to cockblock butler's from the SB (which I blame on belichick's ego) he still was barely competent
Barely competent? Did you see how talentless that D was outside of Gilmore and Hightower (who got hurt really early in the season)? The fact that this d improved as much as it did over the second half of the season is an incredibly positive reflection of Patricia's coaching. He had amongst the worst on paper defenses in the entire league and turned it into an above average unit by seasons end.

No contracts were signed.
This is technically true, though it barely matters. It's like splitting up with your new wife after the wedding ceremony but before you made it to the courthouse. Half his staff was already hired, he probably had an office and a parking spot with his name already on it and a hotel booked for the next month. It would have been a disastrous mess if Irsay hadn't kept the assistants who actually had already signed contracts.

Hard to place all the blame on McDaniels though, hopefully this is the deciding factor in changing NFL hiring rules, though to what is unclear. Falcons had to wait until February to hire Dan Quinn, and I read somewhere recently that the last several assistants accepting a job after the SB have all lost the game (Quinn, Shanahan, McDaniels/Patricia, Bill O Brien come to mind). McDaniels has every right to do what's best for himself, and while the way he did it was totally a Dick Move, staying with the Patriots vs heading to a dysfunctional Colts organization is a no brainer. Can't really blame the Patriots either, they are obviously better with him, though I honestly suspect if it was to a team/owner Kraft liked he wouldn't have tried so hard to keep Josh.

Hopefully it works out for him in New England, because I certainly can't see anyone else trying to hire him as their head coach for a long time to come, which is exactly what people said last time he was a head coach.

Barely competent? Did you see how talentless that D was outside of Gilmore and Hightower (who got hurt really early in the season)? The fact that this d improved as much as it did over the second half of the season is an incredibly positive reflection of Patricia's coaching. He had amongst the worst on paper defenses in the entire league and turned it into an above average unit by seasons end.
I'd pin that on belichick more than patricia. People do tend to forget that belichick cut his teeth as a defensive expert before he had Brady to run the offense and he is still really good at scheming against teams. Matt Patricia is probably an all right DC but there isn't a doubt in my mind he has coasted on billy's coattails many times. I'd rather have New England's special teams coach tbh

fwiw Vic Ketchman, who was a beat writer for the Steelers, then covered the Jags, then covered the Packers, has a Q&A blog in his retirement, and it's pretty cool. the man has 40+ years of covering football to pull from, and has great stories and insights.

https://www.askvic.us/

By the way, any Bortles talk is useless. Just remembered about his wrist surgery. And the next season begins next month. His contract will guarantee, chaining the Jaguars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)