The Everything NHL Thread

I really enjoyed watching luongo get torned apart by my goal scorers and having my goalie Biron outshine him

PHI 8 VAN 2

oh yes.
Clearly Luongo is injured....but he's too big headed to admit it. He definitely didn't play like his usual self.

Not to take anything away from Philly....they deserved the win

Rare Synre post that isn't related to fantasy or the Wings:

ESPN.com said:
The NHL has taken a liking to opening its season outside North America. Expect the same for the 2008-09 season.

The league will usher in next season in Prague, Czech Republic, with a two-game set between the Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins, The Hockey News reported Wednesday on its Web site.

The 2008-09 opener would also start a "compressed" schedule, according to the Hockey News' report, that would push the regular season back a week to begin either Oct. 9 or 10 and do the same with the early portion of the schedule to avoid the season running a week longer.
Thoughts? This seems like a much better choice than London to me since there are actually Czech NHL Players! Team choice is good too IMO, rivalry is weaker but both teams are offensive Stanley Cup caliber teams which should make the games exciting.

EDIT: Also on another note... has Carolina looked amazing the last two nights or what? Outside of almost choking tonight they beat an Ottawa squad that got to the finals last year and was looking like the best team in the league out of the gates, leading pretty much the entire game including a 4-1 lead, and embarrassed a Maple Leaf team that repaid the favor to the Islanders tonight to prove they aren't as bad as the Hurricanes made them look. I was also interested in the fact that while a lot of the goals against Toronto were the fancy shit you tend to see on highlight reels the first three goals against the Senators today were off of rebounds so they are forechecking well atm too. They're finally starting to look like the team two years ago and the goaltending has been absolutely stellar, I wonder if they can keep this up!

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hah synre not my fault my team is jacked.

Also lol leafs talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. Also the whole debacle of mats sundins record setting point was hillarious. He got an assist but he was shocked, you could clearly see him say "I didnt even touch the puck". Then the assist got taken away int he third period and the fans booed, but then he scored again!!!

And yea the only team that has looked better than the canes are the wild ^_____^

hah synre not my fault my team is jacked.
lol I came off as a little more whiny than I meant to but I just think it is funnier than anything, it would be an awesome week against anyone else but your team is having an even more awesome week so it doesn't even matter, haha

Where the hell is shutout on my Ryan Miller stats??
Don't worry buddy you got it, stats don't roll into the matchup thing until tomorrow(I am unsure when exactly but judging by times I've been up this week its later than 3 AM!!).

Also speaking of fantasy news I have discovered I feel better about my team than i thought I did after noticing I drafted a few people (I'm looking at YOU, Vyborny) later than I thought I did. Still probably willing to trade to boost my defensemen core a bit if anyone wants to trade though, haha.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thoughts? This seems like a much better choice than London to me since there are actually Czech NHL Players! Team choice is good too IMO, rivalry is weaker but both teams are offensive Stanley Cup caliber teams which should make the games exciting.

It is an excellent idea. I liked how they started the season in europe this year but really wondered why in hell they picked London considering how many european hockey centers there is in Europe.

Gladly this time, they actually picked a city where people know what hockey is.

I've always wanted the NHL to expend to europe, because there is a market there and this seems like a somewhat first step towards at least considering it.

Okay I don't know how I failed to post this previously but what do you guys think about this? (hit 15s or so in)

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3058234&categoryId=2459791

I think 20 games is definitely the absolute minimum for him, but he has a history of firing cheap shots(suspended from the OHL for an entire year and convicted of assault!) so I would really go more severe than that if I was the commish. Honestly I'd throw his ass out, and frankly what kind of dumbass CROSSCHECKS SOMEONE IN THE HEAD WHILE WINNING 7-2! Jesus fuck at least if you're going to be fucking stupid do it while you're losing like Anaheim's lovely captain!

I'd really knock him out for the year although I would probably just release him where I the Flyers.

And man Melrose gave ANOTHER positive Detroit segment, I'm concerned the apocalypse is coming...

Jackal

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
he got 25 games, deserved.

also dont look now but spezza/heatley/alfredsson are 1-2-3 in league scoring xD

one line team?

also dont look now but spezza/heatley/alfredsson are 1-2-3 in league scoring xD

one line team?
I don't know how far I want to read into that considering they've played 6 games when most other team have only played 3 or 4(Anaheim is the only other team with 6 and only the Islanders, Maple Leaves, and Hurricane have 5) but they are definitely starting the season strong. I almost think they are less of a one line team than last year though, the second line is being somewhat productive and even goons like Neil are being a little less useless offensively than normal.

although I'm beginning to wish I took Heatley

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Marty McSorley never played again after the stick swing he took. Bertuzzi, Simon, Boulerice, all their asses should be out of the fucking sport.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
McSorley was really nearing his retirement though at that point. He was probably playing his last season.

I decided to bench Drury in favor of Nylander(facing old team value+++) and Datsyuk, expect him to get a hat trick tonight

I'm with DM with the possible exception of Bertuzzi(partially because the head slam thing did most of the damage and probably wasn't exactly what he was trying to do, and partially because I think it's a situation where a goon got outgooned by a bigger goon which sort of caps my pity), I just don't think people who are intentionally trying to hurt other players that way belong on the ice. There's a huge difference between landing a big hit or even fighting and doing that type of shit... obviously it's a physical game but there's a gap between being physical and endangering other players. I don't like using Moore as an example since I think that kind of got overblown but that's only the tip of the iceberg of what can happen with some of these injuries, I think the NFL should be showing us right now how serious some of these hits to the head(yes I realize the way that happened would be almost impossible to occur in hockey but you get the point) can be.

EDIT: Man the Rangers are outplaying the Caps, 1-1 thanks to Ovechkin being fucking amazing though, god he is fun to watch

3-1 now, Kolzig has been good in spite of that and the second goal should have been waved by goalie interference anyway! Caps cant seem to figure out how to stay out of the box, lol... 5 penalties led into 20 shots in one period, terrible ;/ Ovechkin was pretty close to making it a one goal game though, funny how one player nearly made what should be a 3-0 game 3-2, big difference that guy makes!

EDIT many: lol Zetterberg just had the most bs goal ever, banked a shot off Sopel and in, haha, that's what you get for leaving Detroit jackass

EDIT many+1: lol Khabibulin let in the worst goal ever, terrible shot that might not have not even made it to the line if he hadnt knocked it over himself, this just isnt his game lol

EDIT many+2: lol the bullshit has been mutual, Detroit had a goal negated by a penalty that wasn't a penalty and then Chicago scored their third goal on another penalty that was an awful call, the officiating in Detroit/Chicago games hasn't been too impressive this year! ...and a bad whistle wasted 5 seconds at the end but whatever, Washington and Detroit both lost and it was a bad fantasy night for me, pretty much the worst case Hockey scenario!

Jackal

btw Jackal, send the mail to the yahoo guy about the yahoo-id switching? Just wanna know if they're on it :p
i read that last night but it was late and i put it off till today and then i forgot ^__^ I sent it now.

Also should I change this thread title to "Synres Live NHL blog thread"????

haha jks man i enjoy your enthusiasm!

yeah probably !!

trying to find something to do while I lag through center ice online, my computer's specs are all 3-4x what is suggested and my connection is a little better than 15x the requested speed but for some reason it still lags like I'm on 56k ?_? this is beginning to look like it wasn't a very good investment !!

EDIT: center ice internet decided to be slightly less bad during the surprisingly exciting boston/LA game which almost made up for the fact it froze up as the GWG was being scored in the Dallas game, lol 8-6, 5 points for Savard, hat trick and an assist for Kessel, two points for about eight players for both teams, and somehow stupid Chara only managed to leech two assists ! Fun game though, it made a terrible hockey evening a little better! (even if it did make my fantasy night even worse)

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
my +/- stats are awesome this week, on -10 already, hope tonights games will be good for my team, hope i can keep my advantage on Vineon.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I watched the Detroit/Chicago game at the bar last night and it was not fun. I wanted my team to win but at the same time I really wanted a win from Khabibulin. Seeing as how close my head to head matchup is I'll take that W instead of a Wings victory.

Big night tonight for hockey... pretty much all of my players have games besides my two from Anaheim. Luckily I'm not torn on who to bench besides one but considering I'm pretty far behind on Assists already I'm going to shoot for some more PIMs to hopefully take that category. Best of luck tonight guys as this will probably be key in deciding who wins this week.

I haven't quite got to the point where I'll root fantasy over the Wings yet although at least I got a goal from Seabrook, lol :/ Tonight should be exciting though!

also lol

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We are currently working to resolve the issues
with NHL Center Ice Online. We apologize for any inconvenience and
appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

NHL Center Ice Online Support Center

At least I guess that means 'it's not you, it's us' but I had thought I stopped working with Blizzard's shitty PR when I stopped playing WoW but I guess not ?_?

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The way I look at it is pretty simple. The Red Wings just need to lose only when it helps me and win all the other times where it doesn't matter.

Jackal

im torn between which goalie to start...Gerber at NYR or Mason home to Calgary...tough choice.

Also hmm leafs lose 7-2 then win 8-1 what will happen tonight against the pens...heres to hoping malkin has 5 points cause i have him in all three of my leagues!

prediction: leafs lose 6-3

The leaves are confusing me so very much lately :( I have no idea what to expect from them anymore >:0

My two favorite non-Detroit teams are playing each other tonight so I am hoping that will distract me from panicking about the various fantasy players I have today(although I guess between Nylander and Kolzig I'm not really avoiding it).

here's to hoping your decision works out about as well for you as benching drury for nylander did for me yesterday jackal, haha, although I am sure sitting vyborny for neil will work out as well as that last move did

Kinda worried about center ice online, going to be :mad: if I get slideshowed during the Caps/Sabers game although the devils/thrashers pre-game isn't lagging so maybe they fixed it!

Kind of terrified about Kovalchuk though, in response to a reporter asking his coach why he has a new winger on Kovalchuk's line was basically 'ehhhhhhhhhh I dunno'

EDIT: lol, I went from +3 when the 1st periods were ending to -3 when the 2nd periods were ending, crazy evening tonight haha >< although my fantasy team scored 3 of its first 4 shots today which was kind of funny although not QUITE as funny as Brodeur attempting to play goalie

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
Never thought I would be thrilled by massively buffering streams. I'm watching my first live NHL game ever atm, lots of buffering but it's watchable outside it :p

Watching it on SopCast streaming, which I got told about today by some norwegian guy I know. It's just so awesome that I can finally follow some games from now on. Crap quality but it's hockey and I love this already :>

Sucks that I benched Horton for tonight, missing out on some points atm, so hope Sakic will get some points in tonight, as he is still on his cold streak.

I am moderately impressed by the Bruins, they had two ugly wins two nights in a row, but they did them completely different ways so they are finding a way to win. I had to watch them two nights in a row because they were the only 10:30 est game and thus went way later than the other ones and they looked a lot better than I thought they would. Ended up getting exciting with Michalek tying the game with like 20 seconds left but then Boston untied it 11 seconds later, haha.

I saw Buffalo/Washington which was kind of painful since as much as I like Buffalo Washington is my other team this year :( Ottawa/NYR also pained me deeply, largely because Drury really should have scored twice(not that I particularly need goals but he could have fixed his +/- and caused one of my least favorite teams to lose) on a puck that ended up hitting his skate and a shot he hit the post with, and NJ/Atl was uh... interesting although Brodeur has been pretty awful thus far this year! I was really bummed to see Phoenix choke their lead with like three minutes left just to lose in regulation too :(

Also looks like you got your wish gr33n, hows a hat trick for some points, lol

I ended up having a pretty good fantasy day (5g4a+1 4pim 6ppp 28 shots) but I'll be lucky to even get 3-7 on the week(although 2-8 is more likely), partially because Jackal's team was also hot this week and partially because Brodeur is slightly worse in net than xocmin's little sister(who evidently is actually good!). Wish I could cash some goals in for assists though, ugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)