ORAS Ubers The Flames of Hell: An Ubers RMT, Peaked #1 at 1878 elo

Hey guys, its PurpleGatorade here, this time with an Ubers rmt. I usually play Anything goes, but a few months ago I decided to try out Ubers since it seemed very similar. After tweaking one of my old AG teams a bit, I was able to construct a Ho-Oh Balance Squad that peaked #1 on the ladder. So without further ado, let's get into the team!
Teambuilding Process
I wanted to start out with a choice band Ho-Oh, because it's a monster in this meta with precious few checks and counters.

The next choice was obvious: Primal Groudon is the best pokemon in Ubers. It checks geoxern and sets up rocks.

At this point I really wanted to deviate from the standard mega diancie/ho-oh core, so I opted for my favorite mega evolution instead: Mega Mence. It provides a good answer to opposing Ho-Oh and is a late-game sweeper.

I really wanted a reliable darkrai answer and a revenge killer, and scarf xerneas fit the bill perfectly.

The team seemed extremely weak to any and all physical attackers, so I added one of my favorite mons- physically defensive yveltal.

Obviously, my biggest weakness at this point was rocks, so I added the obligatory defogger in the form of arceus-ground.
A Closer Look at the Team

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Ho-Oh is absolutely fantastic in this metagame, particularly its choice band set. I preferred this over life orb because it can 2hko most variants of primal groudon, ohko certain variants of primal kyogre, and destroy salamence switchins. Sacred fire is the way to go at first, as its 50% burn chance cripples physical attackers greatly, allowing the other team members to handle threats like mega salamence and ekiller far more easily. Brave bird is the nuke button which severely dents anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake is here for the occasional rockceus, and is sometimes used to hit Primal Groudon a little harder. Sleep talk is honestly just here as a filler move because the team already has a reliable darkrai counter in xerneas. Most of the time you will be clicking brave bird or sacred fire.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

The King of Ubers himself. Primal groudon is a must-have on any Ubers team, and this one is no different. I opted for a max spdef set because it's the only reliable xerneas check this team has. Stealth rock is self-explanatory, precipice blades hits all grounded pokemon extremely hard, although it misses a little too often for my liking. Lava plume greatly annoys typical switchins to primal groudon such as yveltal, mega salamence, and giratina-o. The burn rate coupled with ho-oh's sacred fire make for a reliable way to check physical attackers. The final (and perhaps most important) move on groudon is roar. I always click roar if I switch in on a geomancy from xerneas, especially if it is at full health. Precipice blades misses when it really counts, so roar is always the safer and better play.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Facade
- Roost

With its incredible bulk and devastating attack stat, Mega Salamence is an extremely valuable asset to the team. Whether it's checking Ho-Oh, revenge killing kyogres, or setting up for a sweep late-game, it is always very useful. Dragon Dance is the obligatory setup move, Frustration is a reliable stab attack (I used to use double edge but I didn't like the recoil), facade allows it to check Ho-Oh and other hazard spammers, and roost is obviously to regain health. Not much else to say, really. When played smartly Mega Mence can sweep through opposing teams with ease.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Geomancy

Scarf Xerneas provides a ton of utility for this team, countering darkrai, revenge killing dragons, and simply blowing holes in opponent's teams. Moonblast is used to severely damage every pokemon that doesn't resist fairy, sleep talk allows xerneas to check darkrai, and geomancy is there just in case it gets knocked off by a yveltal. In balance vs balance matchups, Xerneas can also be used as bait to get ho-oh or mega salamence in on a double switch (for example if there is an obvious ferrothorn switchin).

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 236 HP / 248 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Yveltal is one of my favorite pokemon, and for good reason: It punishes nearly every single physical attacker with its nasty foul play, threatens the latis and deoxys-a with a dark aura-boosted sucker punch, heals itself with roost, and gains tremendous offensive momentum for the team with u-turn. Since yveltal forces out so many pokemon, u-turn can be used quite liberally to get Ho-oh into a wallbreaking position or safely bring in arceus-ground to defog. Yveltal can sometimes single-handedly destroy teams once opposing xerneas have been taken care of.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

Ho-Oh Balance can't possibly exist without a defogger, and arceus-ground performs that role admirably. I used to use an arceus-water, however I found that it didn't force out primal groudon nearly enough and gave free switchins to other mons like klefki and ferrothorn. I usually lead with arceus-ground to scare opposing primal groudons away and prevent rocks from the very beginning. Judgment is the obvious stab move which ohkoes many variants of groudon. Ice beam ohkoes mega salamence and rayquaza, and also provides a way to hit giratina-o for decent damage. 56 speed evs are used to outspeed neutral nature rayquaza and ohko it before it deals any damage. Arceus-ground is extremely useful as a check to mega salamence, because it leaves yveltal free to beat up on ekillers and the lati twins.

Threatlist

Arceus-Rock is probably the single greatest threat to this team. It ohkoes half the squad with one move, cripples arceus-ground with will-o-wisp, and also does decent damage to primal groudon. The best way to get rid of it is to weaken it to the point where a banded earthquake from ho-oh kills it. However, if it has adequate team support, I usually lose.

Even with two fairy resists, xerneas is still a pretty big threat. If primal groudon is weakened it can take it out with a +2 focus blast or HP ground, and Ho-Oh can only reliably check xerneas if it isn't at +2. Most of the time, however, it isn't an issue.

Life orb yveltal can punch holes into this team, as the only resistance I have is xerneas which is 2hkoed by oblivion wing. Arceus-ground can threaten it with ice beam, and mega salamence can come in when it's at low health and revenge kill it as well.

Ho-Oh is also a very potent wallbreaker, however mega mence can usually handle it and punish any sacred fire burns with facade. Yveltal can also switch in on life orb brave birds and do massive damage with foul play.

Proof of Peak

I laddered Ubers on one of my alts, DarkStar729 and peaked at 1878 elo.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-427300206 (Somehow beat a rockceus team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-428545359 (Haxed him pretty bad but I don't have better replays lol)

Team Importable

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Facade
- Roost

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Geomancy

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 236 HP / 248 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

Shoutouts
Don't know many people in the Ubers community, so I'll just give shoutouts to my friends from the AG room.
Chloe. Thanks for being a great room owner and it's always fun battling you :)
Thimo Your memes are the best lol. I will never stop using barb/
TylerWithNumbers You've been one of my closest friends on this site for like 5 months. You really need to ladder ag again lol
Legendoftsih You're a real homie man, and your teams are really inventive and interesting. Sorry for haxing you every time lol
Quantum Tesseract Shed is disgusting <3
Fardin Stall is shit. You're good. Ur "RTM" is ugly. Thanks for all the great battles.
DontStealMyPenguin You're a really great friend and it's always a pleasure to battle you. I hate your darkrai tho :/
Yuga42 Pigeons you're an amazing player and it was really fun hitting you on ladder when you used to play. You should come back again :)
Catalystic Thanks for testing all those teams with me and the fun battles. No thanks for always beating me with that diancie team tho :(

Conclusion
I'm still not a very good Ubers player, but I'm pretty happy that I was able to peak the ladder with this team before the end of Gen 6. Feel free to use it and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey there PurpleGatorade. Congrats on coming first in the ladder. Ur team is really good. a few suggestions I would like to give though.

On primal goudon I would run this ev set: 252 hp, 56 def , 200 sp def. Then I would run stone edge>lava plume. Stone edge helps to take care of annoying birds and is comparatively more useful than lava plume. Plus u already have a fire type move on ho-oh, so no worries about removing it. The reason why I gave it 56 is so that it can take hits from cb eq ho-oh. 200 sp def is enough for primal groundon to take hits from scarf.geo xerneas. It serves the same purpose, and a bit more now that it has stone edge.

I'm not worried much about xerneas being a threat to ur team bc u have ho-oh and pdon to take care of it. Even Yveltal is not too bad since u have scarf xerneas for that.

That's all I gotta say. Good luck and have fun playing gen 6 ubers till it lasts :)

Hey there PurpleGatorade. Congrats on coming first in the ladder. Ur team is really good. a few suggestions I would like to give though.

On primal goudon I would run this ev set: 252 hp, 56 def , 200 sp def. Then I would run stone edge>lava plume. Stone edge helps to take care of annoying birds and is comparatively more useful than lava plume. Plus u already have a fire type move on ho-oh, so no worries about removing it. The reason why I gave it 56 is so that it can take hits from cb eq ho-oh. 200 sp def is enough for primal groundon to take hits from scarf.geo xerneas. It serves the same purpose, and a bit more now that it has stone edge.

I'm not worried much about xerneas being a threat to ur team bc u have ho-oh and pdon to take care of it. Even Yveltal is not too bad since u have scarf xerneas for that.

That's all I gotta say. Good luck and have fun playing gen 6 ubers till it lasts :)
Hi, thanks for the rate! I will definitely try out the set changes you mentioned.

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey PurpleGatorade and grats on your peak.
Triple bird will make you instantly lose against every HO team since its way too easy to set up SR and sweep afterwards. Also are two sleep talkers really unnecesary which is why you should drop one or change the set. Here are my suggestions for improving your team. Firstly I suggest changing your CB Ho-Oh to Ferrothorn. This will give you a better defensive backbone against stuff like Lati@s and Primal Kyogre. Secondly I would replace your defensive Yveltal with a Defog Giratina-O. Defensive Yveltal in general is a bad choice and with Giratina-O you are able to phaze opposing Pokémon. Another change I suggest is to use an Arceus-Water instead of Arceus-Ground. Your team is really weak to Ho-Oh and can't do anything back when Salamence is weakened. Lastly I will suggest you some better EV spreads. Hope I helped.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

EVs: 200 HP / 132 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Roost

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Geomancy

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 216 SpA / 40 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Hey PurpleGatorade and grats on your peak.
Triple bird will make you instantly lose against every HO team since its way too easy to set up SR and sweep afterwards. Also are two sleep talkers really unnecesary which is why you should drop one or change the set. Here are my suggestions for improving your team. Firstly I suggest changing your CB Ho-Oh to Ferrothorn. This will give you a better defensive backbone against stuff like Lati@s and Primal Kyogre. Secondly I would replace your defensive Yveltal with a Defog Giratina-O. Defensive Yveltal in general is a bad choice and with Giratina-O you are able to phaze opposing Pokémon. Another change I suggest is to use an Arceus-Water instead of Arceus-Ground. Your team is really weak to Ho-Oh and can't do anything back when Salamence is weakened. Lastly I will suggest you some better EV spreads. Hope I helped.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

EVs: 200 HP / 132 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Roost

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Geomancy

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 216 SpA / 40 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
Hi Lacus Clyne,
Thanks for the rate. I will definitely use the salamence and xerneas spread that you changed, however I disagree about a few of the other choices. You mentioned that it was far too easy to set up rocks and sweep, but I found that in nearly every situation arceus-ground was able to deter pdon enough to keep rocks off the field. My biggest issue with gira-o was that it didn't have any recovery, despite the leech seed support, and was thus unable to handle both primal groudon and ekillers. While ferrothorn was extremely useful, this team was originally meant to be ho-oh balance so I decided to keep it. That being said, I definitely agree that two sleep talkers is unneccesary, so I was wondering if I should change Ho-Oh to a life orb+ recover set? Once again, thanks for your help.

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi Lacus Clyne,
Thanks for the rate. I will definitely use the salamence and xerneas spread that you changed, however I disagree about a few of the other choices. You mentioned that it was far too easy to set up rocks and sweep, but I found that in nearly every situation arceus-ground was able to deter pdon enough to keep rocks off the field. My biggest issue with gira-o was that it didn't have any recovery, despite the leech seed support, and was thus unable to handle both primal groudon and ekillers. While ferrothorn was extremely useful, this team was originally meant to be ho-oh balance so I decided to keep it. That being said, I definitely agree that two sleep talkers is unneccesary, so I was wondering if I should change Ho-Oh to a life orb+ recover set? Once again, thanks for your help.
I mean we can take sample HO as an example. What is stopping Deoxys-S from using SR? Deoxys-S isn't your only problem though. Cloyster will be quite problematic since your team doesn't have an answer to that Pokémon too.

I mean we can take sample HO as an example. What is stopping Deoxys-S from using SR? Deoxys-S isn't your only problem though. Cloyster will be quite problematic since your team doesn't have an answer to that Pokémon too.
Nothing stops deo-s from using sr, but I've faced sample ho so many times on ladder and it always goes the same way: I lead ho-oh vs deo-s and kill while it sets up sr, then they inevitably go to pdon/mence and i get a free defog on groundceus. I misspoke earlier when I said that groundceus deters rocks, I meant that it's fairly easy to find opportunites to defog. Again, with cloyster i usually lead xerneas and ko it while it sets up one tspike, and then i just go right back to groundceus to defog. I see where you're coming from but I have rarely been swept by a hyper offense team.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This team has three Stealth Rock weaknesses, Defog Arceus-Ground as the anti-hazard support, and elects not to use Magic Bouncers or Spikes. I'd say the culmination of these things puts this team in a poor situation when trying to wage hazard war against bulky offenses and balances. Defog Arceus-Ground and Scarf Xern provide these teams with additional breathing room for what is typically their most potent wallbreaker: Ho-Oh. Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre and Stone Edge EKiller are also problematic. Since the purpose of this team is to construct a Ho-Oh balance with Mega Salamence my rate tries to fix some of these issues without replacing Ho-Oh or making significant changes to the other choices in team members.

Using Ferrothorn over Yveltal on this team has a variety of advantages. It gives this team a much needed Steel-type and allows for the setting of Spikes. Additionally, Ferrothorn checks Primal Kyogre and helps to cover Stone Edge EKiller for this team. The addition of Facade Mega Salamence helps to cover problems with Ho-Oh, but I feel Ferrothorn + Defog Groundceus gives Ho-Oh too much room. My best solution to this without compromising Mence + Ho-Oh or incurring Darkrai problems by trying to add a Giratina-O is to just run support Arceus-Dragon. The team has adequate options for handling incoming Klefki and Mega Diancie thanks to the addition of Ferrothorn, and Xerneas is checked between Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Ferrothorn. Your Xerneas set should be made Rest + Geo for the purpose of status sponge + wallbreaking + increased longevity.

Summary:
- Replace Yveltal with Ferrothorn
- Replace Arceus-Ground with support Arceus-Dragon
- Change Xerneas to Geomancy + Rest

This team has three Stealth Rock weaknesses, Defog Arceus-Ground as the anti-hazard support, and elects not to use Magic Bouncers or Spikes. I'd say the culmination of these things puts this team in a poor situation when trying to wage hazard war against bulky offenses and balances. Defog Arceus-Ground and Scarf Xern provide these teams with additional breathing room for what is typically their most potent wallbreaker: Ho-Oh. Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre and Stone Edge EKiller are also problematic. Since the purpose of this team is to construct a Ho-Oh balance with Mega Salamence my rate tries to fix some of these issues without replacing Ho-Oh or making significant changes to the other choices in team members.

Using Ferrothorn over Yveltal on this team has a variety of advantages. It gives this team a much needed Steel-type and allows for the setting of Spikes. Additionally, Ferrothorn checks Primal Kyogre and helps to cover Stone Edge EKiller for this team. The addition of Facade Mega Salamence helps to cover problems with Ho-Oh, but I feel Ferrothorn + Defog Groundceus gives Ho-Oh too much room. My best solution to this without compromising Mence + Ho-Oh or incurring Darkrai problems by trying to add a Giratina-O is to just run support Arceus-Dragon. The team has adequate options for handling incoming Klefki and Mega Diancie thanks to the addition of Ferrothorn, and Xerneas is checked between Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Ferrothorn. Your Xerneas set should be made Rest + Geo for the purpose of status sponge + wallbreaking + increased longevity.

Summary:
- Replace Yveltal with Ferrothorn
- Replace Arceus-Ground with support Arceus-Dragon
- Change Xerneas to Geomancy + Rest
Hi, thanks for the rate. I tested the team on the ladder with the changes you made and although I was a bit weaker to ekiller and mega salamence I felt that the general defensive utility of ferrothorn was worth it. I also liked the change to arceus dragon, so I will most likely make that change permanent. The only thing I'm not sold on is resttalk geoxern because I feel like scarf deals with darkrai a lot better, but ig they both have their ups and downs. Thanks again for helping!

Nice team :) Minority Suspect gave an nice Suggestion. Yeah , Change your Yveltal to a Spike Ferrothorn and DragonCeus is nice too.

I am currently testing your team with my version of CM Wisp Arceus-Rock , Defog Latias , Banded Ho-Oh , Scarf Xerneas , Impish DD Refresh Mega Mence and Specially Defensive Primal Groudon. Currently testing it with my Friends , Ladders and Tournaments. If it works well , i will give you the Sets. See ya :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)