The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all are going waaaaayyy too in depth into this
but I shouldn't be complaining because my coaches tell me what I'm supposed to do everyday.

I'm in Powerlifting at my HighSchool, and what we do is simple. We just alternate legs and arms everyday. We rotate the order of the workouts as well. They are pretty standard for arms: Incline Press, Bench Press, Tricep Pulldowns, Bicep curls, Military Press, etc. And for legs: Squat, Pause Squat, Front Squat, Power Clean, Deadlift, Straight legged Deadlift, calf raises, etc.)
For protein supplement I just eat a lot of meat. A lot. Tons of it. I may eat a protein bar every now and then, but its not everyday. I usually do chicken, if not then Fish. I like eating beef but I've had to cut down on it due to its large fat content.

50% of a bulk in protein though is a lot, don't you think? 1200 calories of protein is pretty hard for someone his size (and lack of ability to drink milk / eat nuts i think?), wouldn't you agree? just sayin that might be going overboard until he can handle more food.

agree with no abs only days. abs are assistance work imo, but even if you treat it as non-assistance, abs only days are dumb.

agree with tuna. not too fond of the taste, but fuck, great protein.

also a fan of arms / legs splits like Zenotwapal does; they're cool too. easy, simple, fun stuff.

also no such thing as too in depth lifting discussion! especially with splits :D

vvvvvv good post -ratcheesy

Split routines are best suited for intermediate weight lifters as the individual has already gained sufficient muscle.
Beginners tend to rush into lifting without proper knowledge of exercise technique nor knowledge of rep ranges.

People always forget one important factor that is the Principle of Overload
which states that a greater than normal stress or load on the body
is required for training adaptation to take place. The body will adapt to
this stimulus. Once the body finally adapts then a different stimulus is
required to continue the change. In order for a muscle (including the heart)
to increase strength, it must be gradually stressed by working against
a load greater than it is used to. Most weight lifters tend to train muscular
endurance when in fact its more beneficial to train muscular strength.

Exercising above the target zone is counterproductive and can be dangerous.
The Principle of Progression implies that there is an optimal level of overload
that should be achieved, overload should not be increased too slowly or
improvement will not occur.

The Rep ranges if I can recall are as follow:

1-3 Reps: This has very little impact on size gains but increases in strength
will be effective. Typically this would only work for strength purposes.

3-5 Reps: This is perhaps the best rep range for increasing strength, as there
is better balance of load/work done for hypertrophy. Beneficial rep range for
heavy compound movements.

6-10 Reps: Simply put this range does not increase too much strength, increase
in size, what bodybuilders usually train for. This is considered the best rep
range according to science, especially for a bodybuilder.

10-15 Reps: More fatigue occurs in this range and no increase in strength
and minimal increase in size.

More than 15 Reps: Muscular endurance occurs

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you mentioned that you can't squat. I think you might be able to and don't know it, but you know your body best. I am sure that at the very least you can leg press, since that doesn't really hurt your knees. lots of heavy compound movements will get you very strong very fast. according to every competitive bodybuilder I've ever heard of, strength is exactly the foundation you are looking for.
I actually can't squat or leg lift any significant amount of weight because the cartilage in my knees is completely shredded, and frequent I get bone-on-bone grinding. I'm in need of knee surgery for sure, but 1) insurance won't cover it and 2) I'm heavily involved in soccer and knee surgery would keep me out of action for too long.

@popemobile - Sorry I blew up at you, I felt a little insulted by your post because it seemed like you were targeting me. I just wanted you to know that I AM aware of the missing parts of my workout, I'm just looking for ways to fill them but still gain the bulk in my desired areas.

For all intents and purposes though, I am limited in my leg workouts to low impact exercises that put little to no pressure on the knees. Anything with high range of motion and flexion is out, so leg press, leg extensions and squats are a no go. I can still work my calves and ankles with toe raises, and hit the inner thighs with the squeeze machine (hell if I remember what they are called), but I don't have a ton of options.

I'll work on a more refined workout program in the next few days, then I'll repost for further critique. I think what I posted before was a bit too basic and raw to get a good judge on, and thus caused all this misunderstanding.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Alright my $0.02 for everyone based off of what I have read

-Do your squats, I don't care what you're trying to tone or work. Squats release the most natural human growth hormone out of all other exercises, meaning if you do squats, your other exercises will be more effective. No excuse as to why you can't squat at least once a week. I can understand if someone has bad knees but honestly from the stories I've read if you have proper form your knees will only improve over time.

-50% of your diet being protein seems like a lot... If you're consuming more grams of protein per day than your bodyweight in pounds, be sure you're eating a lot of fiber as well or you can actually fuck up your liver.

-Split routines are ok I guess but I much prefer working multiple bodyparts per day and working them 2x a week (I squat 3x a week lol madcow!!!) because your body only needs 48-72 hours to recover (this goes especially if you're a beginner).

-Waterbomb, I'm siliar to you in that I don't do abs at the gym, I work them at home on my "rest" day. Nothing wrong with that imo.

-If you're having trouble gaining weight eat more food, gosh. Eat until it fucking hurts. Eat cottage cheese and/or peanut butter straight up. Use whole milk (lactaid, really?). If you're still having trouble you'll have to do less cardio, sorry.

-If you have no gym but have a little weight do weighted pushups, weighted pullups, weighted chest/tricep dips, and weighted chinups (best bicep exercise).

Hey guys join #lifting on IRC

thanks for all the responses guys c:

haha so i did my first "workout" ever yesterday!

so basically i did like 1x20 one armed pushups per arm
then i went and did 1x15 wide armed pushups (my shoulders hurt too much to continue :c)
then i finished with 1x20 close grip pushups

then i went and did like 2x10 weighted (dumbbell) pistol squats per leg
then i did 2x10 unweighted pistol squats
then i did 2x10 unweighted regular squats

then i went and did 1x25 dumbbell curls per arm and i wanted to continue but at the end my arm was so tired... haha, they didn't even hurt but i couldn't even move them at the end anymore, it was weird. they hurt now though lol

my abs are annoying to workout since situps get boring incredibly quickly but meh, i work out my core pretty well anyway

my whole body hurts so much today haha but it actually isn't bad pain if you get what i mean

i've been eating like ~2 eggs a day, 3 sandwiches (albeit pre-packaged meat), rice and meat basically per day.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
thanks for all the responses guys c:

haha so i did my first "workout" ever yesterday!

so basically i did like 1x20 one armed pushups per arm
then i went and did 1x15 wide armed pushups (my shoulders hurt too much to continue :c)
then i finished with 1x20 close grip pushups

then i went and did like 2x10 weighted (dumbbell) pistol squats per leg
then i did 2x10 unweighted pistol squats
then i did 2x10 unweighted regular squats

then i went and did 1x25 dumbbell curls per arm and i wanted to continue but at the end my arm was so tired... haha, they didn't even hurt but i couldn't even move them at the end anymore, it was weird. they hurt now though lol

my abs are annoying to workout since situps get boring incredibly quickly but meh, i work out my core pretty well anyway

my whole body hurts so much today haha but it actually isn't bad pain if you get what i mean

i've been eating like ~2 eggs a day, 3 sandwiches (albeit pre-packaged meat), rice and meat basically per day.
looks pretty good.

rice + beans = cheap and awesome bulking food.

Anyone heard of Paleo diet, its pretty much called the Caveman diet.
Here's a brief explanation of what's it about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

The core of this eating style involves avoiding processed, harsh additives and fake foods. That is a cornerstone to humans should be eating, clean non-processed foods.

My only advice is to research for yourself. I do not wish to sell anyone on this eating style. I have done my own research and am comfortable with it.

I will say this...if you avoid processed foods, fake foods (like margarine) and additives (like MSG) you will be doing your health a big favor.

It can be very restrictive but you have to start with a basic plan of implimenting this lifestyle for the long-term. Planning 1 cheat meal per week is a good way to keep you sane.

a little birdy by the name of giga punch informed me there was a nutrition thread here on smogon. I couldn't believe it because most pokemon players are pasty pale nerds with no lives, but alas here I am.

Personal stats
5'7 157lbs
Squat 215 5reps
Deadlift 235 5reps
Bench Press 160 3reps
Overhead Press 105 3reps

The best advice I can share for anyone wanting to get into lifting is to SQUAT...then SQUAT SOME MORE...and once you can't take it anymore...SQUAT AGAIN.

Since we are on this topic, my maxes are as followed:
Bench Press: 225
Incline Press: 205
Squat: 315 ( I can do more I'm sure)
Power Clean: 185 (Weakest lift)
Deadlift: 315+ (I've repped 315 twice while working out)

Since we are on this topic, my maxes are as followed:
Bench Press: 225
Incline Press: 205
Squat: 315 ( I can do more I'm sure)
Power Clean: 185 (Weakest lift)
Deadlift: 315+ (I've repped 315 twice while working out)
fucking beast mode dude. I'm sure you can deadlift hella more if you can squat 315. what is your bodyweight/height?

I think I just strained a hip flexor while squatting. Hurts like a mf, obviously I need to stretch more.

Don't neglect your stretches, kids.

I don't know my maxes, but using a online max calculator I got these numbers, rounded to nearest 5 lbs:

Bench: 255 lbs
Squat: 300 lbs
BB Row: 200 lbs
Overhead Press: 145 lbs

Best lifts are Pullups and Dips but can't really 1RM on those without a weighted belt, which I don't have. Can do close to 20 reps of each @ 185 lb bodyweight. Lower body strength has always lagged behind upper body strength, mainly because of flexibility issues on squat. I don't do deadlifts for personal reasons which I've mentioned before itt.

fucking beast mode dude. I'm sure you can deadlift hella more if you can squat 315. what is your bodyweight/height?
I'm 5'8" 180 lbs. And I'm 16 years old.
I think I just strained a hip flexor while squatting. Hurts like a mf, obviously I need to stretch more.

Don't neglect your stretches, kids.

I don't know my maxes, but using a online max calculator I got these numbers, rounded to nearest 5 lbs:

Bench: 255 lbs
Squat: 300 lbs
BB Row: 200 lbs
Overhead Press: 145 lbs

Best lifts are Pullups and Dips but can't really 1RM on those without a weighted belt, which I don't have. Can do close to 20 reps of each @ 185 lb bodyweight. Lower body strength has always lagged behind upper body strength, mainly because of flexibility issues on squat. I don't do deadlifts for personal reasons which I've mentioned before itt.
Just to let you now that the computer might be wrong. Its harder to actually lift the weigbht than you might think (though you should know that lol)
I stretch before every workout. I also jog to the weight room instead of walking, it helps a lot to me.
Without stretching I can't lift as well at all. Especially my hamstrings.

well those are based off of:

bench 225 x 5
squat 260 x 5
BB Row 165 x 5
OHP 125 x 5

I don't really ever max out though so honestly i don't know how hard it is to lift those weights once. Honestly I don't really care what my max is because it's not part of my program to find out.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone have any advice for someone who's been perpetually sick the past two weeks (losing fluids fast, and losing weight). I've been having intestine problems, and, coupled with the huge loss in appetite, haven't been working out also because of exams and sickness.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eraddd you want to make some time for light workouts, but while you're sick you don't want to overexert. Very light cardio would help, don't do any lifting if you're having intestine issues as that's going to put alot of pressure on your core. Also it goes without saying but you need to be pushing the fluids extra hard if you're losing them that fast. Don't worry so much about the weight loss, you'll be able to gain it back when you're healthy.

I'd say early mornings would be ideal time to squeeze in workouts because you will be fresh off sleep so you won't feel as sick, and it'll energize you for the day so you'll feel better and perform on your exams.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'd go see a doctor. If you're "perpetually sick the past two weeks," that could be a sign of something more serious. You can't get diagnosed on a message board, go see a professional.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have, he told me to sit tight, after effects of a stomach flu that's slowly getting better. I had a fever for the first half, and then apparently my intestines decided that was the best time to stop performing.

It's been better but stresses of exams along with the aforementioned sicknesses have taken a toll on me. I"m starting to regain my appetite and am able to eat without wanting to vomit an hour later. Thanks for your advice.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
In that case, work back into an exercise routine slowly. Don't overdo it right off the bat, there's no point in losing your breakfast/lunch if you're already having trouble getting it down. Start with some light cardio and see how that feels, then progress from there as you feel better. First and foremost, listen to your body and don't go beyond its boundaries.

Hang in there man, you'll be fine soon. I know the feeling, it sucks.

That was funny to read.

"After just one week of taking 2 scoops of protein powder a day I was transformed into an aesthetic god that rivals the likes of Zyzz."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)