ORAS Ubers The Gunner Special

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
shoutouts Lacus Clyne for artwork

Hello and welcome to my first and last ORAS Ubers showcase. Over the course of the past one and a half years, I've been attached to this metagame very deeply. Even though ORAS Ubers has been highly criticized for its staleness and overpowered pokemon, I've found it in me to enjoy it. I've built several teams over generation 6 and I wasn't keen on showcasing any of them, but here's one that I've built very recently which I have really enjoy using. Special shoutouts to orch who came up with the Mega-Gengar and Wobbuffet core in Ubers, I just felt the need to optimize it to the fullest because of how great it is.
Let's get right into it:

TEAM AT A GLANCE

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

I came up with this team idea when I saw how powerful of a core Mega-Gengar and Wobbuffet can be. The Shadow Tag ability combination pressurizes balance/stall teams, especially support Arceus' and non-attacking Pokemon. I wanted to optimize this core with the right teammates so I could efficiently face any sort of match-up. I feel I ended up making a team that can end up winning vs any sort of match-up provided I have a little (hitting 1 hypnosis in 2-3 tries) luck on my side. The teambuilding process obviously began with me electing Wobbuffet and Mega-Gengar as the primary Pokemon.

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Destiny Bond

Bulky trapper that completely renders support Arceus forms useless. I can usually bring it in vs defoggers and encore them, switch to Mega-Gengar the turn after if they click Defog and Substitute from my end, or click Mirror Coat if they choose to attack me. Objectively there is no correct play for the opponent, it all depends on his/her situation in the game. Moreover, Wobbuffet can also trap Klefki which is always a threat and pivot into Mega-Gengar/Primal-Groudon the turn after. Wobbuffet can also live a +2 Moonblast from Xerneas at full health, and can trap Choice Scarf Xerneas and Mirror Coat it. Those are just some of Wobbuffet's main roles, however because of its incredible bulk it can switch into a variety of Pokemon and proceed to cripple them.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

Mega-Gengar is the backbone of this team. The combination of hypnosis + substitute makes it possible for it to trap almost every Pokemon in Ubers and proceed to eliminate it. However, because of Hypnosis' poor accuracy, I seldom get myself into a position where I'm forced click hypnosis to win a game. The key here is to use Wobbuffet as a blanket and encore a Pokemon so that Mega-Gengar can enter the field safely and substitute. Let it be known that the lack of protect on this does make it hard to Mega-Evolve sometimes, but the most optimal set for hypnosis Mega-Gengar doesn't run protect. Moreover, there are several opportunities within games to Mega-Evolve safely on slower Pokemon.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Transform

The aforementioned core can easily break balance / stall teams with good enough support, but the relevance of hyper offensive teams in the meta pressurize the core to a certain extent. Keeping this in mind, I picked Ditto as the third slot for my team, since it exhausts the effectiveness of offensive teams. Ditto's sole presence creates a question within the opponent's mind whether he/she wants to click a setting up move or not. Moreover, Ditto also acts like a pivot lot of the times. Usually when I play my games, I like to keep Ditto alive for as long as I can vs offensive teams. That gives me an upper hand because I can always revenge kill any set-up Pokemon etcetera. Ditto however does completely flop vs calm-mind Arceus forms' like Rock and Ghost - it's essential to be aware of those and play accordingly. Note: when Ditto is imported into the teambuilder, PS automatically nullifies its attack IVs. Remember to fix that before entering a battle.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades

No team is complete without Primal-Groudon, so I obviously had to use it on my team. It acts as the Stealth Rocker as well as the primary Primal-Kyogre check. It's debatable whether the max special defensive set is optimal for this team, or something more on the offensive side; I chose max special defensive as I wanted to be completely safe versus Xerneas and Kyogre, however I'm willing to view any other set options others may have.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Refresh

Looking at the team with the above four Pokemon, it was evident that I was quite weak to flyiny-types, namely Ho-oh, Rayquaza and Salamence. Arceus-Rock is a great choice to overcome that weakness, moreover it also takes on Yveltal which my team would otherwise struggle against. My reasoning for selecting Refresh > Will-o-Wisp is basically that Refresh helps me completely shatter Ho-oh balance / balance in general teams. Usually those teams take on Arceus-Rock with Klefki and Primal-Groudon combination, both which can be overcome by Arceus-Rock. I've linked a replay below of a game I had recently which practically explains my point. The counter argument of running Arceus-Water over Arceus-Rock is incorrect in my opinion, bascially because Arceus-Water doesn't inhibit any sort of sweeping ability and just walls other Pokemon. Further, with Arceus-Water makes me weaker to Yveltal and makes the team a slower as well.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SpA / 140 Spe
Rash Nature
- Magic Coat / Defog
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic

For the last slot, I wanted something that could beat Arceus Extreme Killer and Primal-Groudon: Giratina-o seemed to be the best option. The set on this is quite unique, and it's open to one's preferance on they want to use. On my team, I run magic coat over defog, which is more of a gimmick. magic coat bounces back Primal-Groudons stealth rock and Klefki's spikes. Since my team isn't quite weak to hazard, applying pressure with my own hazards seems like a more optimal option. On my version I also use shadow ball > hex, since shadow ball hits steel types harder and the toxic plus hex combination takes two turns to complete although I only need to get off some damage with Giratina-o off sometimes to get into a good position. Obviously defog and hex are appropriate options if one chooses to use them.

THREATS
Darkrai

There are only a few Pokemon the team struggles against, the first one being Darkrai. Right off the bat, it seems as if the team is too weak to Darkrai, however my strategy vs Darkrai is usually to lead with Ditto and threaten them out. After that occurs, all I need to do is Mega-Evolve Gengar and trap it, and the combination of sludge wave plus substitute allows me to do so. Usually I would have to trade a Pokemon vs Darkrai, but unfortunately most Ubers teams have to do so, or at the most at least sleep fodder a Pokemon. Overall, after several tests I've concluded that Darkrai is a threat, but it sure as hell doesn't pierce through my team.

Calm-Mind Arceus

Calm-Mind Arceus forms' are really annoying to face. I have a number of options against them, though. Sometimes I can go Wobbuffet and encore them (Wobbuffet even likes a +1 Judgment from 0 SPA Arceus-Ghostceus), other times I can go Primal-Groudon and roar. Worst situation are when I have to go to Mega-Gengar and Hypnosis or have calm-mind wars. In the end, however, I do have counter play options, and I can choose which one I want to use. The best method of dealing with calm-mind Arceus is detecting in advance whether or not they are calm-mind, this allows me to prepare better during the game.

REPLAYS
versus Problems
In this game I was able to use my Arceus-Rock well and hence always had the upper hand in some way. The fact that I had refresh on it made the game a lot less difficult

versus The Trap God
The game came down to the wire, and I had to get myself into a position where Mega-Gengar could sweep behind a subsitute. I needed hypnosis once out of two tries, which it did.

IMPORTABLE
Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Destiny Bond

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Transform

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Refresh

Rash Nature
- Magic Coat
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic

SHOUTOUTS
Let me just start off by saying these will be short and sweet. I've made way too many friends on this site I'm grateful to all of you for tolerating me, but I'm just going to name some people who I adore in the long ass time I've spent here.

Hack Pohjis ShadowQuinn
The true Netflix and Chill squad. Man I fucking love you guys and the time we spend, it's so much fun. We've learnt a lot from each other and we've all come a long way (except Hack lol) let's continue dominating in SuMo. Special individual shoutouts to Hack for being a mentor to me always, Pohjis for giving me the best laughs on this site and being there since day 1 and Shadowquinn Yamma "the god Yamma" Yamma for the fun memes etcetera. Much love bros.

Californium Aberforth
Both the Pommans ahhh I can't tell you how much I love fucking with the both of you (cwl). In the end no matter what I say and whose leg I pull, your both the best and I mean no harm. Pomman also thanks for being my mentor back in the days and standing up for me and believing me, was really special. Cranham you're my favourite remember always no matter how mean I am to you. :*

James Jimmy Mysterious M Dominatio ZoroarkForever hyw
We've had some great times in the past and ya'll are fun to talk to and just dick around on the site. Thanks for those great chats and tests!

Astounded
Best oras players hands down come back bro miss you

Chloe. Megazard HunterStorm Thimo flowre
The Anything Goes Community in general for getting my into competitive pokemon. You guys are great to talk to and I hope the OM reaches greater heights next gen.

Literally everyone else the Ubers room who I've talked to and shared some good moments with, I appreciate you all for making my time here great. I would make a list but there are too many people and I don't want to forget any. Thanks for all the great times guys, I hope I could've impacted you in some positive way in my time here and I hope I continue to do so. See you all in Sun and Moon.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the shoutout, hopefully ill see you in UPL, since I would consider you a top 5 buy and you should shoot for a spl spot too. Anyways, I guess I will give this team a rate, while keeping the initial team concept.

The team is quite solid as it is and is very effective against current metagame trends and this team is designed to feed off those.

The main thing that irks me about this build, is the weaknesses to offensive darks and the team really wants to be an arceus water build to deal with Hooh balance better. Though your concerns with me on PS is lacking the winning condition (Cm Arceus rock) and I can fully understand its place on this team.

Keeping the double trap team concept, I felt ditto is the weakest link on the team and I wanted to go with an Arceus Water. Replacing Ditto with a Rest Geomancy Xerneas gives you a solid winning condition and a means of dealing with dark types and a somewhat reliable sleep absorber for Darkrai. Arceus Water also helps retains the role of dealing with Ho-oh, mence and Rayquaza while improving your matchup against excadrill / sand offenses as well. Though this opened up a hole to Extreme Killer so I opted for Will-o-wisp over toxic to help combat this, especially since gengar lacks protect. With these changes Giratina-o really needs defog to control the hazard game since you lack ways to deal with hazard stack such as klefki teams.
Anyways below is my interpretation of the team with my changes, sorry I couldn't give this a more solid rate and it's great to see you get the consistencies and achievements you did throughout ORAS

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Destiny Bond

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 168 HP / 96 Def / 200 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast
- Geomancy

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Rash Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic

Last edited:
I'd argue running something like scarf Xerneas > Ditto and Arceus-Water > Arceus-Rock would reinforce the build's match up against Darkrai, Yveltal and Pdon. It would probably leave the HO match up slightly worse (still doable).

It's an interesting concept overall, I'd argue some sets and spreads to be slightly off:
  • wisp on Rockceus - more utility and it's one of the few Arceus that can afford it+ you have stallbreaking methods anyway),
  • Leftovers+Safeguard Wob - custap dbond only holds utility vs choiced Ray/Ho-oh which you have Rockeceus for anyway, safeguard is just nice utility to have.
  • probably just run a standard hex gira, also the spread is awful here. Never run HP on Giratina-O, and idk why its important to be that fast either. If you feel like missing sneak makes Deo-A too big of a thread you could run colbur berry Wobb
The biggest threats to this team are special attacking dragons (Latios especially and probably mix Ray as well), due to the lack of dragon resists. The scarf Xern change therefore makes a lot of sense to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)