ORAS Doubles OU the ladder queen (peaked 1918)

Fran

formerly Frania
is a Tiering Contributor

hi, frania here, ive decided to share with you all the team i had a lot of success on the ladder didnt get to use it so much in the tournaments, still i think its one of the best teams i build in oras and definetly my favourite.

edit: i managed to get to 1918 points on the doubles ladder, that beeing the highest peak in the history of oras doubles. i am very happy right now.

so it all started almost a year ago (december, 2015) when i decided to build a gardevoir team. at that time i didnt think it was going to be anything exceptional, i just wanted to try out a diffrent mega, also i loved how it matches the coloring of the standard chalk team. so i took the standard ladder team i was using at the moment (
) and replaced kangascan with the gardevoir. then i had to get rid of sylveon so i was left with 5. the sixth slot on these kind of teams is something that can push the team forward, provide extra pressure just like latios did on the other variation of the team with tailwind, or the sylveon with raw wallbreaking power. azumarill is a pokemon that pressures the opposing team the most, gives me a win-con, it can draw attention from gardevoir if i need it to. my gameplan is never based around azumarill setting up the belly drum but it is a strong tool i can use whenever i need to. i knew i wanted something that can punish heatran so i can free my gardevoir from running modest hp ground as i wanted to use it to its full potential. azumarill was a perfect pick. a couple months passed i didnt even fill out the movesets, not that i didnt think the team wasnt good, but due to me taking a break from doubles and not playing much in tournaments i it just never came up. in september i came back to the ladder, i was using the kangascan-sylveon team again and i held the no.1 spot for the most time. what i didnt not like about the team is how it was not good at all. effective versus the ladder, winning games rather quickly but not build well at all, when i was facing a good player i was put at a immediate disadvantige. i decided i want to use mega gardevoir as its the best mega evolution to use in doubles ou right now. i did not like how semi-trick room teams are often matchup reliant and definetly not good on the ladder i wanted a team with good balance between the bulk and offensive pressure, something that can win me every game despite the match up im facing. i rebuild the team from december as i realized how amazing it fits in the late oras doubles metagame.

the amazing mega evolution, timid nature lets it shine the most, you get a guaranteed hit of versus -1 kangascan (since you survive jolly and outspeed adamant) obviously outspeeding the av lando is key, icy wind is an interesting coverage option allowing me to beat diancie, landorus and thundurus also helps azumarill set up in more specific scenarios. if you check couple last doubles rmt's / successful tournament teams you will see this mon quite a lot. and for a good reason.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Protect

azu is another queen of doubles, some think its broken, obviously theyre are wrong, still, its one of the biggest ballers in the oras metagame. as i explained in my teambuilding azumarill is used to take advantige of heatran and put up big pressure, often id click belly drum just to take away the attention from gardevoir. i went with full bulk, no speed, since it helps me survive sucker punches better, only mons i'd concidered creeping for is aegislash and cresselia, the first one takes a lot of investement so i did not like that, the latter is not relevant.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

heatran is part of what makes gardevoir so amazing, punishes all the fairy checks, the best part is better they check my fairy, the worse they loose to heatran. i decided on safety goggles as it deals with amoongus better and i value that higher than another win concition (as opposed to sub tran). part of what makes this team so great is the little synergy cores like the heatran-amoongus or heatran-thundurus. i run it with timid nature that should be the absulute standard in the volcanion meta, obviously the heatran mirror is as important. overheat is a strong option that alows me to knock out aegislash in one hit and that is much appreciated.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Protect

the standard amoongus, with 172+ defense EV's to survive jolly metagross zenn headbutt, a key member of the team, provides redirection for gardevoir and azumarill, helps against kangascan, waters like rotom-w and kingdra, switches into thundurus, the latter two match ups is why i decided in favour of amoong, since i also concidered using jirachi in that slot. energy ball is prefered since it hits diancie harder, almost always knocks out azumarill after a belly drum and one rocky helmet damage. also guarantees a 2hko on terrakion and keldeo but thats irrelevant.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Energy Ball
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

the choice scarf landorus was something i knew i needed to have from the moment i decided to build with mega gardevoir. landorus-therian itself is concidered the best doubles pokemon and for sure the most splashable one, not only covers the biggest threats like kangascan or diancie but also synergizes so well with the mega evolution, there is nothing that can switch into fairy + ground/rock coverage, intimidate helps with the frail physical bulk. i went with choice scarf since i wanted to improve my speedcontrol, the team is rather slow, with just one pokemon outspeeding the base 100s it was a must. i put 44 EV's into hp, taking away from the speed as i prefer having the slower u-turn against opposing landorus while the lower speed doesn't matter in any other match up.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

fast thundurus is nearly essencial and definetly irreplaceble for this kind of bulky balanced builds. it's the last part of the bulky balanced core that dominated the vgc 15 format and that is still a very revelant in the doubles metagame. i almost had no doubt i want to run it with max speed and an atack boosting item since the team wanted another fast hard hitting atacker. priority thunder wave is my way of effecting the pace of the game. for coverage you can use either hidden power ice or flash cannon, the former helps with the landorus-incarnate match up, landoi while not a popular choice is a big problem for this team, while the latter coverage option improves my match up vs mega diancie, definetly more common threat but something i dont fear quite as much

Thundurus @ Zap Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

build by Memoric:

build by SamVGC:

build by Stax:

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Energy Ball
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Zap Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, gratz on the peak. You like laddering don't you :D.
Anyways, the team looks really solid, but won't it appreciate tailwind as a method of speed control as generally gardevoir builds love tailwind.(though it might make you little weak to diancie). Also, taunt> icy wind on garda + a little more bulk on her as keeping amoongus as your only TR check is not very wise though.

These are mostly optional, I personally think this is a pretty good team right now, so Best of Luck!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)