The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just beat the 4th dungeon. who else thought that boss was hella cool. best of the first 4 imo

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
4th dungeon boss was probably the best boss, it was incredible. The 5th one is pretty good too, you have a great fight to look forward to there.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm just about to start the 7th dungeon, but I'm not playing the main story until I do the side quest stuff first. I'm pretty much ready to go now as I have found and opened all of the goddess cubes/chests, have found all the graditude crystals and have found all the heart pieces (just have some more minor stuff to do such as upgrading everything and finding any treasures/bugs I don't have yet).

Speaking of heart pieces, I reckon that they are overall easier to gather than in Twilight Princess (probably because there are less to get). However, this one (I'll put it in hide tags for those who haven't done it yet) annoyed me:

I hated playing that game where you shoot arrows at pumpkins that Fledge throws across the yard. OMG that made me so angry. It took me about 40 tries at least. I remember getting close to 600 about two times in a row and lost because of silly mistakes. I was upset which made my hand shake (which ruined my aim, which made me score low, which made me angrier, etc.). Fustrated, I walked away from the game for a few minutes to cool off. I came back... and did it first try!

This one was lame too:

If you play the Fun Fun Island game and land on the 50 rupee square with a multiplier of 10, you get a heart piece. This took me many attempts, though the game is actually fun at least. I don't think I ever actually mastered the game because landing on the 50 rupee square was a fluke, but I did it in the end so whatever. I ended up breaking about even when it comes to rupees.

Gosh I gotta wait until I get some more money and thats to long. I hope to get an golden remote package one. (lip biter) I heard the golden wiimote messes up is this true?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Speaking of heart pieces, I reckon that they are overall easier to gather than in Twilight Princess (probably because there are less to get).
Yes and no. There are less, but several of them require you to find the cube on the ground THEN find the chest in the air.
However, this one (I'll put it in hide tags for those who haven't done it yet) annoyed me:

I hated playing that game where you shoot arrows at pumpkins that Fledge throws across the yard. OMG that made me so angry. It took me about 40 tries at least. I remember getting close to 600 about two times in a row and lost because of silly mistakes. I was upset which made my hand shake (which ruined my aim, which made me score low, which made me angrier, etc.). Fustrated, I walked away from the game for a few minutes to cool off. I came back... and did it first try!
^ took me hours and hours but I loved it.
This one was lame too:

If you play the Fun Fun Island game and land on the 50 rupee square with a multiplier of 10, you get a heart piece. This took me many attempts, though the game is actually fun at least. I don't think I ever actually mastered the game because landing on the 50 rupee square was a fluke, but I did it in the end so whatever. I ended up breaking about even when it comes to rupees.
Didn't even bother. Got all but that one heartpiece. Screw that man.

Gosh I gotta wait until I get some more money and thats to long. I hope to get an golden remote package one. (lip biter) I heard the golden wiimote messes up is this true?
Ummmmm... I played for 93 hours and never experienced any problems. I use that wiimote for pretty much everything else now too.

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
mattj said:
There are less, but several of them require you to find the cube on the ground THEN find the chest in the air.
once you finish the sandship and upgrade your sword's dowsing abilities you can dowse for goddess cubes and their chests after talking to a goron on eldin volcano so that's not a difficulty at all

I think I had a couple of issues with the golden wiimote when the batteries were really low, could have just been my imagination though. Whatever the case it certainly wasn't bad, just a little sensitivity issues that were fixed by recalibrating it.

Getting through the actual rings is easy, but the only difficult part of getting the heart piece is landing on the 50 rupee space. The trick is that once you pass through the last ring, the board always rotates 270 degrees (9 hours); if the 50 rupee space was at 12 o'clock when passing through the ring, it will end up near 9 o'clock.

You can farm thousands of rupees in only a few minutes using this method; 500 rupees each time, minus the entry fee.

Both playthroughs I couldn't figure out how to dowse for anything other than story stuff and hearts; can anyone provide a full list of how to find the stuff? You can't even dowse for hearts in hero mode :(

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just finished the game. So, obviously, endgame spoilers.

The final boss fight was absolutely amazing in terms of atmosphere. I LOVE ganondorf's new character design, and the map the fight takes place on (reminds me of the Dark Link map in the water temple).

Did anyone else think it was a really easy fight though? I mean, this isn't a hard game by any means, but I had more trouble with that stalmaster near the Triforce of Courage than I did with the final boss. I even stocked up on a couple of Heart++ potions and didn't use them at all. I don't know, maybe I've just gotten really good over time.

Either way, going to start playing Hero Mode. Is the only difference the amount of damage/lack of hearts or are there other differences in dungeons and puzzles too?

atsync

Dowsing for cubes makes them so much easier to find. Of course, you still have to figure out how to get close enough to hit them because it's not always a simple matter of walking up to them, but other than that they're honestly not that hard to find.

Getting through the actual rings is easy, but the only difficult part of getting the hart piece is landing on the 50 rupee space. The trick is that once you pass through the last ring, the board always rotates 270 degrees (9 hours); if the 50 rupee space was at 12 o'clock when passing through the ring, it will end up near 9 o'clock.
That was how I was trying to do it but I could never get my head around how far it rotates. Also, if you have to guide Link by tilting the remote, his falling speed increases which will throw you off a bit. That advice should still be helpful for those who haven't done it though, since it sounds about right. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I also have noticed that the remote decentres more easily if the batteries are low, but it still works well enough most of the time.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If anyone's willing to help me, that'd be swell. (Post 6th Dungeon)
I just got the Water Dragon's Song and according to several online sites, I'm supposed to go to the Edin region and the volcano will erupt before I choose a landing spot. The problem is that I'm not getting the eruption. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Have you done the Thunder Dragon's song yet? If you have, there's the potential that you accidentally set off the game breaking bug that makes the game unbeatable.

If not, I'd suggest rechecking the Faron region to make sure the water's drained (if it's not, I believe you cannot go to one of the other regions yet) signifying that you did indeed complete that arc. If that still doesn't work, you should probably try to do the Thunder Dragon's quest, as long as you make sure not to talk to the goron so you don't invoke the glitch.

Good luck :x

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Wait, and if I talked to the Goron, but did not do the thunderdragon arc, then the game is unbeatable? According to your link, I have to talk with the Goron, beat the thunderdragon arc, then talk with him again.

atsync

Just finished the game. The ending was great, and I actually found the final fight challenging (mainly the second part). Seriously, this is what the final fight with Ganondorf in Twilight Princess SHOULD have been like.

So I guess I could start Hero Mode now, but I don't think I'm gonna do it right now. This game took up way too much as my time and now I want to do other things. I will play it eventually though.

Wait, and if I talked to the Goron, but did not do the thunderdragon arc, then the game is unbeatable? According to your link, I have to talk with the Goron, beat the thunderdragon arc, then talk with him again.
My understanding of it is that the glitch only happens when you do the thunder arc and then talk to the goron before doing the water/fire arcs. However, theoretically, it might be possible for talking to the goron after finishing either the water or fire arc would reset it, making the other unobtainable.

Try to make sure that Faron is unflooded first, and if it is I'd suggest doing the thunder arc. If the volcano still doesn't erupt, you might be screwed :(

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Thanks, luckily, I have a brother who's made it to like the third dungeon I can copy off of if worse comes to worse.

You can't even dowse for hearts in hero mode :(
Relatively long post ahead; includes praise and criticism of the game.

You can... I unlocked said dowsing option in Hero Mode by having a Heart Medal in the pouch and talking to Fi when she gave that annoying low-health alert. Zelda games should have the option to turn off the low-health beeping...

I 100% completed the game on Hero Mode a while ago - all Heart Pieces, upgrades, Gratitude Crystals, etc.

I was impressed with the length of the game, the graphics style, the improved combat, and the World's Most Interesting Desert (normally I hate desert areas, but the Timeshift concept is one of the best ideas in the series). I also liked how the game incorporated distinctive elements from quite a few Zelda games... for example, the Silent Realms were like a combination of Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass (Guardians=Phantoms, Watchers=Phantom Eyes).

Disappointments:

1. I got excited upon receiving the dowsing upgrade that gives 8 possible targets - it made me wonder what all the things could possibly be, but there was an empty slot the whole time. And another slot is now permanently empty after completing all the side-quests... I guess they just made it 8 slots to be a neat circle.

2. The lack of a Cave of Ordeals-type challenge in a game that has better combat than any previous Zelda game... my heart sank. Also, if mattj happens to read this... know that I'm that Cave of Ordeals enthusiast who followed your lead and successfully completed it in TP with just 3 hearts.

At least they had a boss-marathon mode... it's a real challenge trying to beat all 12 of them on Hero Mode with no recovery. I always choose Tentalus first, since it's extremely hard to not get hurt in that battle.

3. Following from my above point, the inconsistent difficulty of boss battles bothered me. Fighting 2 Lizalfos in the 2nd dungeon was about as hard as the final boss... honestly.
The final boss may seem hard at first, but even without a Guardian Potion+ it's easy to avoid any damage... the hint video in the game shows how simple it is.

4. Unnecessary rewards... I'm talking about the two largest Wallets, especially the Tycoon Wallet. What use is carrying 9900 Rupees if you've already bought everything by that point!?

Difficulty:

The only time I got stuck in the entire game was with that 4-direction lock in the Sandship... the symbols under the sand are useless since there's no clue about their order; they're just spread around the floor in no specific order. I eventually did it by assuming you strike the lock in the order that you revealed the symbols under the sand... seemed to work. That's the only puzzle that didn't make sense to me. If anyone else could explain what it was about, that would be great.

With every previously Zelda game I've been seriously stuck at least once... somehow this game felt easier with the puzzles (less complex dungeons), but harder with the combat. Then again, the combat becomes just as easy once you figure out patterns... for example, those red guys with electric weapons just require a shield bash.

Anyway, now I'm depressed that we'll have to wait years for the next console Zelda title... but it should look awesome in HD. Hopefully a 3DS Zelda won't be too long before then.

User 40136

Banned deucer.
To above user

Fail on the Sandship puzzle....on the images you uncovered in the sand, the top part of the wheel on the drawings were colored red. The amount of sticks colored in on the wheel in the drawing told you the order. (So one red stick would equal 1st, two red sticks would be second, ect.

To above user

Fail on the Sandship puzzle....on the images you uncovered in the sand, the top part of the wheel on the drawings were colored red. The amount of sticks colored in on the wheel in the drawing told you the order. (So one red stick would equal 1st, two red sticks would be second, ect.
Oh wow... somehow, despite noticing the obvious red parts on the wheels, I didn't even notice that. Epic facepalm moment. I'll make sure I use my eyes from now on.

To make things more hilarious, I should mention that I wrote down all possible 4-hit combinations on that 4-sided lock.

(Luckily I can defend my intelligence by saying nothing else in the game perplexed me...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)