The NEW Platinum Glitch Field Research Thread

THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR DISCUSSING WHETHER OR NOT THE GLITCH* SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED. THIS THREAD IS PURELY FOR FINDING THE MECHANICS OF THE GLITCH*. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

*or mechanic if you prefer ^^

Ok so I'm sure a lot of users are either confused as to how exactly the glitch works, or they want to test out more about the glitch. I've been skimming through the old topic to try and figure out the full effects of this thing (though I stopped around page 7). As more users posts about this I will continue to update the OP, but I would like to compile a list of exactly what this glitch does so that a)users have a better understanding of it and b)IF it is ever implemented then programmers have all they need to know about the glitch in one post.

So basically what needs to be put into this topic (I'm sure there are posts containing this information on the other toipc but I cannot find them):

It is obviously most important to note that this glitch is only activated when the host is the user of the move Pursuit. The opponent HAS to switch for the glitch to activate.

Pursuit KOes a switching foe when used in Sandstorm:
- Sandstorm and Rain animations occur, both doing 1/16 damage each to non Rock, Steel, or Ground-type pokemon (in the order of Rain, Sandstorm if it matters).
- Pokemon get buffeted by SS in both animations.
- Pokemon with the Magic Guard ability are not damaged.
- Pokemon with Air Lock and Cloud Nine negate this.
- Fire is weakened and Water is boosted.
- Swift Swim is activated, giving a x2 boost.
- Rock-types gain a 1.5x SpDef boost.
- If the original Sandstorm was activated by the move Sandstorm, permanent Rain is created when Pursuit is used (on a switching poke), but SS stops after 5 turns. (Platinum Video: 26-72324-54088)
- In theory this gives all the other boosts that Rain does but has this been proven yet? Yes
  • How does Dry Skin/Rain Dish/Hydration work?
  • Does Thunder have 100% accuracy? Yes.
  • Does Sand Veil give immunity (hint: Use Cacturne to test this) to this, and does it raise evasion? Yes
  • How does SolarBeam perform?
- What type is Weather Ball?
- What is Blizzard's accuracy?
- The weather Sandstorm, Sun, and Hail clear this. Rain will not.

- Do Castform/Cherrim glitch in this condition?

Pursuit KOes a switching foe when used in Sun:
- Rain, Sandstorm, and Sun animations occur (in that order), doing 1/16 damage each.
- Pokemon are damaged by their ability.
- Pokemon with the ability Air Lock or Cloud Nine negate this.
- Pokemon with the Magic Guard ability are not damaged.
- Cherrim and Castform shift back and forth between formes, forcing a tie.
- If the original Sun is caused by Sunny Day, when Pursuit is used (on a switching poke), Rain, SS, and Sun do damage, but 5 turns after Sunny Day was used it fades into just Rain and SS doing damage.
- SolarBeam has a one turn charge. Power of it is undetermined.
- I don't know much about the Sun so I'm basically just asking questions for this:
  • Is anything immune to this?
  • Is Chlorophyll activated? Solar Power? Leaf Guard?
  • Are Fire moves boosted and Water moves weakened?
  • What is the accuracy of Blizzard and Thunder?
  • Do Rock pokemon get boosted SpDef?
  • Do Swift Swim/Rain Dish activate?
  • How does Dry Skin perform?
  • How does Hydration perform?
- Sun and Hail clear this from the field. Rain and Sandstorm will not.

Pursuit KOes a switching foe when used in Hail:
- Rain, Sandstorm, Sun, and Hail animations occur, doing 1/16 damage each..
- Pokemon with the ability Snow Cloak are not damaged and recieve an evasion boost.
- Pokemon with the ability Dry Skin do not take damage.
- Pokemon with the ability Magic Guard are not damaged.
- Cherrim and Castform switch back and forth between formes, forcing a tie.
- Pokemon with the ability Ice Body are healed in each animation IF they are already damaged. If not then they are hurt.
- Rock-types get a 1.5 SpDef boost.
- Water moves are boosted, and Fire moves have a power drop.
- Sand Veil boosts evasion.
- Chlorophyll gives x2 Speed.
- Rain Dish works in Rain.
- Leaf Guard works.
- Hydration activates.
- I'm not really sure on much concerning Hail either:
  • How do Blizzard/Thunder perform?
  • Swift Swim/Solar Power?
  • What type is Weather Ball?
- Hail clears this from the field. Sun, Sandstorm, and Rain will not.

- If the original Hail is activated by the move Hail, does it have a set number of turns or is it permanent? (Likely you'd end up with what would happen in Sun, and Hail would fade after 5 turns. Needs to be tested.)

Other things concerning this glitch:
As we have recently discovered, other field effects are also affected by this. Are there other things to potentially test for that are affected by this (like Tailwind or something)? How exactly are all of these things fully affected?

All I know is this:
Intro1827 said:
Me and pkmndaisuki from GFAQs have been testing the weather glitch and found out it can also be activated while Uproar, Gravity, Fog or Trick Room are in effect (that's the priority order, meaning Uproar will activate Uproar and every weather, Gravity will activate Gravity, Uproar and every weather and so on). An interesting thing is that Fog can be cleared with Defog without interfering with the glitch. A video can be found on the GTS, it's number 71-58349-79250
Fog damages pokemon when active.

If you are going to post your findings, please link either a youtube video or a video number.

I've read the original thread and seen several videos, and there are a few things I found in there that you listed incorrectly:

- Acid Sand does NOT hurt Pokemon by their abilities, as shown by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pH0ohPZJiM
- Acid Hail DOES hurt Ice-type Pokemon, although Pokemon with the Ice Body ability are only hurt by the various weather if they are at full health; otherwise they gain health back as their ability dictates. I'm not sure if a video exists with this happening, but it was stated often in the original thread. *EDIT* Here's a video, thanks to Elevator Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aN2xKY82Sc

I have one question, and then I'll see what I can do.

Can the weather (I hate calling it a glitch) occur when fighting D/P (Platinum host of course)?

Yeah yeah, simple Q&A. I feel I'll get a more accurate and reliable answer here. Sorry.

Can the weather (I hate calling it a glitch) occur when fighting D/P (Platinum host of course)?
Yes, IPL and I tested it like that back in January with Jap Plat, and I just did this with my own Diamond and English Plat.

Wait, if the weather-inducing moves cause permanent 'lower-ranked' weather, despite the original weather still lasting 5 turns, would Trick Room cause infinite Gravity? I hope a 'higher-ranked' effect is found, so I can abuse infinite Trick Room :P

EDIT: I can't remember; was it shown that you have to KO an opponent for it to work?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
According to this GameFAQS thread, Trick Room activates Rain, Sand, Sun, Hail, Fog, Trick Room, Uproar, and Gravity. The order of the last 3 effects is uncertain.

Can anyone please post a YouTube video of this specific variation? For those of us who don't have Platinum?

Wait, if the weather-inducing moves cause permanent 'lower-ranked' weather, despite the original weather still lasting 5 turns, would Trick Room cause infinite Gravity? I hope a 'higher-ranked' effect is found, so I can abuse infinite Trick Room :P

EDIT: I can't remember; was it shown that you have to KO an opponent for it to work?
I don't think anything has been stated about non-permanent weather even being able to activate the glitch or not. As far as I know, all that's been determined so far is that permanent Rain does not cause the glitch under any known circumstances.

And yes, Pursuit must kill a fleeing opponent (important! non-fleeing foes do not activate the glitch!) to activate the glitch.

*EDIT* Same time post, woo!

I know it causes Gravity, but the Gravity caused is infinite like the other weather conditions, right?

Pursuit KOes a switching foe when used in Hail:
- Rain, Sandstorm, Sun, and Hail animations occur, doing 1/16 damage each..
- Pokemon with the ability Snow Cloak are not damaged and recieve an evasion boost.
- Pokemon with the ability Magic Guard are not damaged.
- Cherrim and Castform switch back and forth between formes, forcing a tie.
- Pokemon with the ability Ice Body are healed in each animation IF they are already damaged. If not then they are hurt.
- Hydration activates.
- I'm not really sure on much concerning Hail either:
  • How do Blizzard/Thunder/SolarBeam perform?
  • Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Solar Power/Leaf Guard/Rain Dish/Dry Skin/Sand Veil?
  • Do Fire/Water moves get boosts/drops at all?
  • Do Rock-type pokemon get a SpDef boost?
  • What type is Weather Ball?
- Hail clears this from the field. Sun, Sandstorm, and Rain will not.

- If the original Hail is activated by the move Hail, does it have a set number of turns or is it permanent? (Likely you'd end up with what would happen in Sun, and Hail would fade after 5 turns. Needs to be tested.)
I tested this out. Abomasnow started the Hail and Scizor Pursuited.

Something I've found.

• The animations do occur in that order (Rain, Sandstorm, Sun, Hail)
  • Pokemon get hurt by their effects. It says "The "insert Pokemon here" was hurt by it's "insert ability here".
  • I was using Sunflora with Solar Power everytime a weather effect was used it said "Sunflora lost some HP because of it's Solar Power" which means that Sun is active during Rain, Sandstorm, and Sun, and Hail.
  • Sandstream's effect of buffeting a Pokemon isn't active.
  • Rain Dish only activated during Rain.
  • Dry Skin is activated during Rain, Sand Stream, Sun, and Hail and you do not lose HP during Sun. So basically you do not lose any HP.
  • You do not have to wait a turn to use SolarBeam.
  • When using Sunny Day in the glitch it says "But it Failed" so you cannot use Sunny Day.
  • When a Pokemon with the ability Sand Stream comes into play it doesn't say "insert Pokemon here" started a Sandstorm.
  • Chlorophyll boosts a Pokemon's Speed x2.
  • Leaf Guard prevents a Pokemon from getting affected by Status.

So I believe the abilities do work. Rain Dance acts during Rain and so does Swift Swim so maybe Swift Swim gives a x2 Speed boost and Hydration can heal a Pokemon from status? Although a lot of the abilities didn't make a lot of sense. Such as why didn't Toxicroak get hurt and why did it heal HP in each weather effect?

That leads me to believe that all weather effects are active in another weather effect.

I do not know what percentage of damage this is but when Tyranitar (288 Special Attack) used Flamethrower on 448 HP/226 Special Defense Vaporeon it did around 34 damage.

Vaporeon's Surf (270 Special Attack) hit Tyranitar (337 HP/236 Special Defense) at 50%> probably at 45-48% and left it with a little bit of HP. After doing calcs it does 46%-55% so I think both Rain Dance and Sand Stream are in effect cancelling each other out.

Edit: Forgot to mention I think Sand Veil works. I wasn't paying attention but Endeavor didn't affect Cacturne at all and my Pokemon had different HP.

ok so this is all for Hail... cool.

Did Sunflora lose HP for every weather or only once?

Could you possibly run a calc on that Flamethrower? It lets us determine if SS boosted Tyranitar's SpDef or if Sun lowered the power of Water moves.

ok so this is all for Hail... cool.

Did Sunflora lose HP for every weather or only once?

Could you possibly run a calc on that Flamethrower? It lets us determine if SS boosted Tyranitar's SpDef or if Sun lowered the power of Water moves.
Yeah. I'm going to do Sun next.

Sunflora lost HP every turn.

Tyranitar's Flamethrower does 9.60%-11.38%.

How does the glitch work in double battles? Would it activate if the host Pursuited their own Pokémon?

Well I figured that haha.

I mean does it lose HP for every weather (like losing it for Hail, then for Sun, then for SS, then for Rain), or did it just lose health from Sun? EDIT2- This is for Solar Power if that wasn't clear.

EDIT- OK so that means that Fire has a power drop in acid hail.

According to this GameFAQS thread, Trick Room activates Rain, Sand, Sun, Hail, Fog, Trick Room, Uproar, and Gravity. The order of the last 3 effects is uncertain.

Can anyone please post a YouTube video of this specific variation? For those of us who don't have Platinum?
The order is Rain, Sand, Sun, Hail, Uproar, Gravity, Fog, Trick Room. I might upload a YouTube vid, but the quality will be horrible
Other things concerning this glitch:
As we have recently discovered, other field effects are also affected by this. Are there other things to potentially test for that are affected by this (like Tailwind or something)? How exactly are all of these things fully affected
We've also tested Perish Song, Tailwind and the Sports. None of those activated the glitch

Just checking:

Pursuit KOs a fleeing pokemon + Trick Room in effect = Quadruple Weather + Fog + Trick Room + Uproar + Gravity, right?

What happens if Pursuit KOs a fleeing Pokemon + Uproar or Gravity in effect? What about those 2 + Trick Room, making everything in affect?

Does Dry Skin heal during Rain and then hurt during Sun?

Edit: Rock/Ground types still get hurt by their ability during Sandstorm. Proof video here (6:01):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL1VJcS4GBE

Castform, Clefable (Magic Guard), Cherrim, Walrein (Ice Body), Golduck (Cloud Nine) tested in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acra-LkNfYg
- Interesting point: Walrein heals from all weather effects when HP is NOT full, gets hurt by all weather effects when HP is at full.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yeah yeah, simple Q&A. I feel I'll get a more accurate and reliable answer here. Sorry.
The glitch (I will not call it a mechanic) can even occur when D/P is the host, as long as a Platinum game is involved.

Well I figured that haha.

I mean does it lose HP for every weather (like losing it for Hail, then for Sun, then for SS, then for Rain), or did it just lose health from Sun? EDIT2- This is for Solar Power if that wasn't clear.

EDIT- OK so that means that Fire has a power drop in acid hail.
It affects the Pokemon for every weather.

So does that means that Water attacks and Special Defense are boosted and Fire drops in Acid Hail.

Does Dry Skin heal during Rain and then hurt during Sun?
I think it heals when you don't have full HP and you lose it when you have HP from what I've tested.

First, let's just mention that it is definitely a glitch because Cherrim and Castform will cause infinite loops of form-changes, eventually causing the game to either freeze, or you have to shut it off. It will NEVER END.

Now...

Oh, I just realized that this is taking effect in a series by order.

The order of occurances are the order of importance of weathers, in this case, the weathers' order will be Rain -> Sandstorm -> Sun -> Hail -> Fog

Any sequential event will activate any event BEFORE that, starting in #1, so since Rain is #1, Rain will activate just itself. Sandstorm will activate both Rain + Sandstorm. Hail will activate all 3 in front of it and then itself.

Now taking this a step further, Uproar, Gravity, and Trick Room also adds further effects onto this. Now, the question is, is there Anything Else that contributes to this glitch? Such as... (These following ideas must be active during the turn of Pursuit's Switch-KO)

First, I'd like to mention Perish Song, which is a move that is similar to Weathers, Uproar, Gravity & Trick Room, AFFECTS THE ENTIRE FIELD.

Then here are a few moves that only affect certain users/sides. These probably do NOT contribute to the glitch but I'll list them anyways:

Aqua Ring, Ingrain, Future Sight, Doom Desire, Light Screen, Reflect, Leech Seed (With or Without Liquid Ooze on the opponent), Wish, Yawn, Whirlpool/Bind/etc. attacks.

Although these moves do NOT affect the entire field like Uproar or Trick Room, it may still be possible; I don't have Platinum so I can't test these or else I would.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
"First, I'd like to mention Perish Song, which is a move that is similar to Weathers, Uproar, Gravity & Trick Room, AFFECTS THE ENTIRE FIELD."

Intro said:
We've also tested Perish Song, Tailwind and the Sports. None of those activated the glitch

Edit: Rock/Ground types still get hurt by their ability during Sandstorm. Proof video here (6:01):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL1VJcS4GBE
Uh, that was during Acid Hail. Ground/Steel/Rock-type Pokemon are not hurt at all during Acid Sand (when the glitch activates during permanent Sandstorm).

Any sequential event will activate any event BEFORE that, starting in #1, so since Rain is #1, Rain will activate just itself.
I already stated that Rain does not activate the glitch at all... Testing was already performed in the original thread for it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Does the Fog hurt everyone like the other acid weathers or is it "regular"?
According to the video I downloaded on my Vs. Recorder (the one with the Trick Room glitch/mechanic), Fog does hurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)