The politics of "glhf"

I say "glhf" before most matches and people's responses can range from saying "glhf" back to "gl" or "hf". Only responding with "hf" can indicate someone just casually typing a response, but I've often gotten this match in tournament matches, or from more competitive players, and I think they intentionally do not wish you good luck, they just want you to have fun losing to them. I've also gotten more than a few players who were baffled by my saying it and had never heard it.

Do you say it? Do you respond to people who say it? I find it usually elicits a friendly response from people and it's just nice to show a little friendliness in what can, at times, be an unfriendly environment.

I do respond to people who say glhf at the start of the game, it's pre nice to see them every once in a while. I don't say it myself but I do make sure to say gg after every game

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im a glhf / u2!! person at heart but i get uncomfortable when people i don't know expect to have a longer conversation with me, which is reasonably likely to happen across multiple battles/people/etc., given i have custom avatar/gvoice/room staffs, so i minimize greetings and respondings to greetings to prevent that from happening. tldr i dont say anything but i support yall positive-saying-things-ers

I say "glhf" before most matches and people's responses can range from saying "glhf" back to "gl" or "hf". Only responding with "hf" can indicate someone just casually typing a response, but I've often gotten this match in tournament matches, or from more competitive players, and I think they intentionally do not wish you good luck, they just want you to have fun losing to them. I've also gotten more than a few players who were baffled by my saying it and had never heard it.

Do you say it? Do you respond to people who say it? I find it usually elicits a friendly response from people and it's just nice to show a little friendliness in what can, at times, be an unfriendly environment.
gl=x2 chances of getting paraflinch

I don't battle.

But when I do, if it's with friends I'm a hfgl person. If it's with people I don't know, I just want the battle to be over ASAP

I used to say “glhf” a lot, but don’t much anymore. It doesn’t have to do with the people, I just have been forgetting to use chat lol. Whenever I see it in chat, I think the least you could do like be to respond with “you too”.

I only responded if someone else initiates and my response is based on what they say. Glhf = Same 2 u, gl/hf = u2, GL/HF = U2, Good Luck/Have fun = You too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)