The Purging

Hi guyz

I haven't posted an OU team in a while, so I thought I would post a team that I've been pretty unsure about what to do with it. The aim of the team is to set up for a Deoxys E sweep using residual damage. I'm pretty happy with all the changes made so far which is great =D.

Team at a Glance

---------------------------------
Monarchy (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Spd
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes

Nidoqueen leads my team to set up residual damage ASAP. Ice Beam deals with dragons while EQ eliminates Infernape and Nidoqueen. Lum Berry prevents sleeper leads from preventing this.
---------------------------
Dark Vortex (Spiritomb) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Dark Pulse

Used as an anti rapid spin unit, sleep talker and backup sweeper. Also used to help deal with bulky Psychics that give my late game sweeper trouble. Used over Dusknoir because it packs much more of a punch and isn't weak to pursuit.

------------------------
Pacifist (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def/120 SAtk/136 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Charm
- Ice Beam
- Light Screen
- Softboiled

Primary Special Wall. After losing Wish, Blissey's ability to benefit its team mates was severly limited. As spreading status will be generally ineffective because of the toxic spikes, I thought this version of Blissey would benefit my team the most as it can support my team through Light Screen and causing switches with Charm. Plus, it's really cool to see Gyarados switching out of Blissey due to charm ;D. Ice Beam is to hit Dragons.
--------------------------
Deep Blue (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Wish
- Protect

Wish support is used to keep my defensive pokemon alive (esp Nidoqueen who has no form of recovery) and is my primary Gyarados counter. A very valuable team member.
----------------------------
Heavy Metal (Skarmory) (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/96 Atk/156 Def/4 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Primary pyshical wall, phazer and spiker all rolled into one. Provides my team with useful resists because of its steel type. Shed shell is to prevent Wobb or Magnezone from trapping and disposing of one of my key members.
----------------------
Insanity (Deoxys-e) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 160 Atk/96 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Psychic

My lategame sweeper. Works beautifully with the residual damage as its insane type coverage allows it to hit many popular pokemon hard. Its insane speed also allows it to sweep teams, something that Vire was lacking.
----------------------------

Thanks for all advice, rates and fixes!!!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well if residual damage is as crucial to your strategy as you say it is then you definitely have to run Shed Shell on Skarmory, especially since you're using it to set up both SR AND spikes.

And if you're looking for a replacement for Electivire, consider Deoxys-e or SD Yache Chomp. Both are exceptionally amazing sweepers with residual support.

Well if residual damage is as crucial to your strategy as you say it is then you definitely have to run Shed Shell on Skarmory, especially since you're using it to set up both SR AND spikes.

And if you're looking for a replacement for Electivire, consider Deoxys-e or SD Yache Chomp. Both are exceptionally amazing sweepers with residual support.
Thanks for those suggestions. I'll look into both those pokemon, although Deoxys E's massive speed seems to appeal to me more.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Depends on the team you're facing. Let's face it, Electvire needs his boosts, and not every team is going to have a handy T-Bolt ready for you, especially since Vaporeon is the only "lure".

If not D-E or Yache Chomp (or even Scarfchomp), I think Dragon Dance Tyranitar could fill that role well for you too. Unless you trap-kill with Wobb, I don't see you getting through bulky levitators like Cress or Uxie all that easily.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't give this a full rate but I was just noticing that with your Dusknoir's move set you are basically asking for CB-Tar to come in an Pursuit you. Considering this is a "stall-ish" team you don't want your anti-spinner to die so all that effort you put in setting up Toxic Spikes/Spikes/SR just gets ruined. Maybe consider replacing Dusknoir with Rest-Talk Spiritomb? The lack of weakness to Pursuit is enough for it to be considered.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
Your lead is probably better off being your Toxic Spiker, as when you are using stall with Toxic Spikes, it is very important you get them out as soon as possible. You have huge problems with SD Garchomp at the moment, and I will help you to partially rectify them.

Your team's strategy is a gorg one, but your method of cleaning up afterwards is reliant on baiting your opponent's Electric moves, which not everyone uses. I suggest leading with Lum Berry Nidoqueen to provide you with an Electric immunity, absorb Toxic Spikes and counter Heracross and Lucario.

If you do go with Nidoqueen, I recommend using Ice Beam, Earthquake, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock, although Fire Blast is a decent option to deal with Bronzong and Skarmory, if you find yourself having trouble against them. Since replacing Drapion with Nidoqueen leaves you without a phazer, Stealth Rock on Skarmory should be changed to Whirlwind, which also helps against SD Garchomp. Thunderpunch on Dusknoir is not required, since you already have Whirlwind Skarmory and HP Electric Vaporeon, and since you lack a proper Magnezone counter, I suggest using either Brick Break, Focus Punch or Fire Punch on it.

Finally, Electivire is a good sweeper, but you really need an element of speed in your team, which Deoxys-S could provide. It would also give you a revenge killer to go to, rather than trying to beat sweepers that have already set up with your slower Pokemon.

I'd consider Fire Punch for Dusknoir if you want to block rapid spinning, since if it can't do anything back to Fortress, it will setup its own spikes.

Honestly, Electivire is a highly situational clean up sweeper. You can use Skarm to bait Electric attacks but most people hit skarm with fire attacks anyway.

In the last slot... Deoxys-E is the best clean up sweeper on a stall team. Period. It requires no set up and should just hammer battered up teams. Sure, they can try to stall by switching, but they just take more damage from your entry hazards. He can also be a useful revenge killer so you can keep your defense from being fully blow apart by a faster sweeper.

Your team's strategy is a gorg one
is that a reference to my team? :D:D:

you know what, after reading this thread? i hella wanna have deo e over scarfchomp on my subroost zapdos ts team :D

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
You'll have trouble with certain hard hitting pokemon that wield special attacks like fast Nasty Plotters or simple Choice Specs pokemons. The best way to solve this problem is, yep, you've probably guessed it by now; a special wall will do wonders in this team.

I would suggest you to replace Wobbuffet first up. From the looks of things, Wobbuffet is bound to be rebanned. Blissey could work here, but not as a lead of course. As it is your only special wall, you would want Blissey to take all kinds of special attacks, so the EV spread of 24 HP, 252 Def, 232 SpD and Bold would make sense. This allows you to take 2 SpecsLucario's Aura Sphere and SpecsTran Flash Fired Fire Blast.

I would suggest what Gouki recommended with replacing Drapion for a Nidoqueen. As bad as she may sound, she is actually very underrated and should get more credit. I suggest Fire Blast over Ice Beam though, simply because your inability to deal with Guts BandHeracross is frightening. Fire Blast Nidoqueen lets you deal with this beast effectively, resisting Close Combat, Megahorn and Stone Edge.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I would suggest to move SR from Nidoqueen to Blissey simply because you don't want all that stress to set up on Nido and because it gives you a free moveslot for Fire Blast. I would suggest to replace Charm on Blissey with SR as Charm as cool as it may sound isn't that good and you would benefit more with SR.

First of all, you have a big Band Heracross weakness. To fix this I suggest you do what Junior says, add Fire Blast to Nidoqueens since it is your only reliable counter to Heracross anyways by resisting all or 3/4 of it's attacks. Remove Stealth Rock, and then remove Charm from Blissey and add Stealth Rock. Your main reason for Charm as I can see is forcing a Gyarados out, well you can already do that with Vaporeon and Nidoqueen really needs Fire Blast to counter Heracross and Lucario. You can also eliminate a few threats early in the game with the moves on Nidoqueen, since I for one, started a sweep with her destroying two of my opponents vital Pokemon.

Also if Deoxys-S is banned from the OU Metagame, I must insist you use ScarfChomp as it can turn a whole game around. I use it on my primary team and it works wonders. Hopefully my changes help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)