The Revenge

Hello, for those of you who don't recognize me (most likely everyone), I'm Pareidolia. I'm somewhat new to the competetive battling scene but have been getting constantly better now that I've found my style. I started VGC last year but didn't make it past the first round for two main reasons, 1) a combination of thunderus and landorus spamming thunder and fissure, and 2) I had no set strategy. This year is going to be different, but I feel that I may need some help.

The Team

Accelgor @ Bug Gem
Hydration
Stats: HP 252 / SpA 4 / Spe 252
Nature: Hasty
-Bug Buzz
-U-turn
-Sludge Bomb
-Final Gambit

The ninja bug. He is possibly my favorite bug type in existance. Bug Buzz and Sludge Bomb provide those nice hax and coverage that I always like. U-turn is for scouting, but is removable just because scouting is so situational in VGC. Final Gambit is for removing pokemon that would otherwise wall my team.

Archeops @ Flying Gem
Defeatist
Stats: HP 4 / Atk 252 / Spe 252
Nature: Jolly
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Acrobatics

Archeops is one of my favorite pokemon out of Gen V (out of maybe 6). With his massive speed and equally massive attack, he can hit anything for massive damage. Dragon and Ground-type moves provide excellent coverage outside of a small amount of mons, which rock slide and acrobatics can hit for neutral damage. Acrobatics is that move that really helps against Gastro just for major early damage.

Tyranitar @ NeverMeltIce
Sand Stream
Stats: HP 72 / Atk 248 / Def 92 / SpD 92 / Spe 4
Nature: Adamant
-Rock Slide / Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect

Combined with Dnite, he can create a very deadly combo that many people can't predict because of the combination of abilities no one predicts anymore. Rock Slide and Earthquake create a psuedo-EdgeQuake and Ice beam is to hit those levitaters harder. Protect is Protect not much to say about it. Rock Slide can be replaced for Stone Edge for higher damage and higher crit. I opted for a slightly faster and more defensive set so it can be able to take a hit and return one without getting smashed to pieces.

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Inner Focus
Stats: HP 4 / Atk 124 / SpA 128 / Spe 252
Nature: Lonely
-Extremespeed
-Hurricane
-Dragon Rush
-Thunderbolt

Mixed Dnite??? In doubles??? WHAT??? Yep, with Dragonite's ability to counter rain and sun, he easily deserves a spot. Most people will automatically assume that Dragonite is carrying multiscale, so Hitmontops will target him with fake out to make sure he can't get an attack. Inner Focus also allows him to work with Tyranitar inside a sandstorm with no fear of having sandstorm able to horribly backfire. Extremespeed for +2 priority, hurricane to abuse rain and flying STAB, Dragon Rush because it doesn't lock you into an attack and still does major damage, thunderbolt for coverage outside of rain.

Chandelure @ Shell Bell
Flash Fire
Stats: HP 12 / SpA 248 / Spe 248
Nature: Timid
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fighting 70
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball

This happens to be ooh_shiney's Chandelure. Useless information aside, Shadow Ball and Fire Blast are for STAB. HP Fighting grants a counter to heatran, and energy ball provides coverage on water types if he gets forced in for whatever reason. He doesn't run TR as he is 1) too fast for it, and 2) he can't afford to use a negative priority with relative frailty. I'm thinking of changing one of his moves to protect and changing his item, but I can't decide. Suggestions would be nice.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf / Expert Belt
Levitate
Stats: HP 4 / SpA 252 / Spe 252
Nature: Modest
-Dark Pulse
-Draco Meteor
-Surf / Protect
-Fire Blast

Hydreigon is possibly my all time favorite dragon type currently. Hydreigon is able to counter the major weaknesses to this team. The set is rather standard, but I'm having major trouble deciding on whether to use the choice scarf or expert belt. Choice Scarf helps him outspeed some of his major threats, but expert belt makes for a way to switch moves and deal massive damage to almost anything in the game that doesn't have a water type. I will only run protect if I run the expert belt.

Well that was my team. Thanks for reading and please leave a rating. I'm open to try anything that isn't ridiculously hard to get a hold of (such as heatran, I can't get him anymore). I'm thinking of adding some odd pokes, mainly stuff like Maractus, but I have to go testing before I'll add him or anyone else.

Wow, you didn't even need to say you were new to VGC, it was pretty obvious by the team. So here's a couple minor things:

• You won't get far at all if you don't know your EVs, if you didn't EV train correctly, then i suggest you start over or posting with EVs you will have.
  • Protect is one of the best moves to run on Pokemon in VGC, because unlike in singles, you can protect with one Pokemon while attacking with another.
  • Entry Hazards are not viable in VGC, mainly because it's a waste of a turn, and there isn't much switching out involved.
  • Invest in attacks like Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge, because Rock Slide hits multiple opponents while Stone Edge only hits one.
Before people can begin to legitimately rate your team, you should fix the basics.

I'm not sure why I forgot to post EVs over stats, I was tired last night. Thanks for catching that, I'll make the changes now.

EDIT: Fixed

Few nitpicks I would like to point out:

>Change up Chandelure's EVs. HP Fighting requires 30 IVs in Everything except HP (Atk is irrelevant) so a spread of 12 HP / 248 SPA / 248 Spe will maximize your SpA and Spe at Lv. 50 while not wasting EVs.

> Multi hit moves rock! I recommend switching Fire Blast for Heat Wave on Chandelure for the ability to hit two targets rather than one.

> Why a Hasty nature on Accelegor? If you're using U-Turn just for scouting, the damage won't be high anyways so may as well run Timid.

> Your team needs more Protect. Like what Saboros mentioned, Protect is the best Move in Doubles.

> Since you're using Tyranitar, why not try playing with Sand a bit? Garchomp and Excadrill are great (although cheap) partners which are allowed for VGC gameplay.

> Nevermeltice has never been a good item, try Chople Berry to prevent certain KOs such as Hitmontop's Mach Punch.

Few nitpicks I would like to point out:

>Change up Chandelure's EVs. HP Fighting requires 30 IVs in Everything except HP (Atk is irrelevant) so a spread of 12 HP / 248 SPA / 248 Spe will maximize your SpA and Spe at Lv. 50 while not wasting EVs. Yeah, this is the least time consuming thing on the list too.

> Multi hit moves rock! I recommend switching Fire Blast for Heat Wave on Chandelure for the ability to hit two targets rather than one. I'm kinda iffy on heat wave because of the 75 (70?)% damage that spread moves do in doubles.

> Why a Hasty nature on Accelegor? If you're using U-Turn just for scouting, the damage won't be high anyways so may as well run Timid. Hasty is the only speed boosting nature I got in 60+ breeds. I'm probably going to try again and hopefully get Timid, but this is what I'm going to stick with until then.

> Your team needs more Protect. Like what Saboros mentioned, Protect is the best Move in Doubles. Odds are this will replace U-turn on Accelgor. Other than that I can't find a spot on Chandelure or Dnite, regardless of whether he actually needs it.

> Since you're using Tyranitar, why not try playing with Sand a bit? Garchomp and Excadrill are great (although cheap) partners which are allowed for VGC gameplay. I love sand. Sadly, I had Excadrill, who doesn't seem to ever work for me. However Garchomp is excellent, I've had an un-EV'd version in storage for awhile (wondering if it has a good nature) and was bred to get fire fang. I'll think of adding Garchomp, but I'm not sure who to replace, probably Dnite.

> Nevermeltice has never been a good item, try Chople Berry to prevent certain KOs such as Hitmontop's Mach Punch. I would use Chople, but I can never seem to get one. I've been working with it on PO and it has done wonders, but I'm kind of afraid I won't get it in time. I also like the boost Nevermeltice gives to Ice Beam.
Thanks for the rate ^.^

EDIT: Changed the EVs for Chandelure, haven't yet test out Heat Wave or Chople berry on Ttar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)