SM Ubers The Spirituality Series (Peaked Ubers ladder with several variations)

So I'm not usually into making RMT's for teams of mine that I feel did well, but considering how popular this variation got, as well as its extremely unconventional sets and success on ladder and tours alike, I feel like this RMT has been a long time coming. The team idea came to me as a random thought whilst preparing for a UPL VI game, when I was trying to fill a slot for a team. The slot needed to be my speed control slot while also having some longevity to it. After trying several scarfers, I came up with the idea of regenerator + scarf to boost longevity in game while having blanket speed control throughout. Ho-oh was an obvious choice, but due to its major issues with hazard control, it didn't quite fit the team. However, I thought it would be cool to abuse scarf on Ho-oh due to amazing coverage, speed control and defensive longevity. Moreover, I also noted that a major chunk of the meta would be extremely vulnerable to this strat, notably - Marshadow, Mega Gengar, Necrozma-Ultra, Kyogre-Primal and other glass cannons. USM had also adapted to punish passive stall, with several wallbreakers per team. However, from the very beginning, the idea of this team was to be more balance/BO than stall. Anyway, without more of my rambling, let's dive into the team.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Toxic/Earthquake
- Defog/Earthquake

As noted before, the set that started this team was Choice Scarf Ho-Oh. Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Deoxys-Attack/Pheromosa, as well as other scarfers like modest Yveltal/Xerneas and +1 Zygarde. Adamant Ho-Oh is an option too, however, for those who feel these speed tiers are not too important for their team to achieve and prefer cleaner 2hkos vs uninvested Arceus, or a very good OHKO chance on Mega Gengar without rocks. Earthquake has been slashed as coverage for Rock-Arceus/Primal Groudon switchins, as well as guaranteed OHKO vs Mega Gengar. However, on most of the Spirituality variations, I'd say both toxic and defog are necessities.

While I worked around this team, another set that grabbed my attention was fat Lunala. I was testing some teams against Melee Mewtwo when he brought Will-O-Wisp Lunala against me, which almost walled my entire team. I noticed how Lunala's defog set saw little to no usage, despite being an amazingly efficient blanket wall and being able to chip out a majority of the defoggers in the meta. It also was one of the most reliable Dusk-Mane + Ultra Necrozma checks that I could find, with comfortable rolls vs both of their sets. Unlike most other walls that checked these sets, it also checked Calm Mind variations of Ultra Necrozma, which was a huge positive as well.

Lunala @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 144 HP / 164 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Moongeist Beam

This set provides immense utility for Ho-Oh to function, and contrary to popular belief, it actually is a fantastic hazard control set with moderate team control. Using both Lunala and Ho-Oh also means that just not having Stealth Rock on my side allows me to look past the flaws of both Lunala and Ho-Oh defensively, and have them function much better than how they would without hazard control. It also meant that both my rocks-weak Pokemon had the ability to defog against Stealth Rockers directly, which balances any loss of momentum that the team may have suffered in case they were handicapped when a rocker came in. 144 HP + 164 Def allows Lunala to tank all Dusk-Mane/Ultra variations, which is a major comfort zone to be in. The only niche set that does break this Lunala would be SD Knock Off Ultra or toxic Dusk-Mane, which thankfully for me, were easily filled out by my next slot in the team.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

This slot was originally dedicated to Mega-Diancie, as I wanted the team to be as offensively potent as possible. Moreover, Diancie was also my Stealth Rock slot, as this team originally was triple defog (Arceus slot as the third defogger). However, I soon realised the Diancie was kind of a liability defensively, and greatly affected the team in the longer run. While discussing with James Jimmy about potentially great teams in the meta, I passed him my Diancie variation (posted below). He then contributed one of the most important changes to the team, which was Sableye-Mega over Mega-Diancie. While I was initially worried about it making the team a bit too passive, I realised that Sableye's longevity would allow me to function properly with just two defoggers instead of three, allowing my Arceus/Dusk-Mane slot to be the rocker. It also gave me the opportunity to afford a different Arceus type due to a lessened weakness against Primal-Groudon. My first choice, immediately, was Arceus-Fairy.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

Fairyceus suddenly seemed like a brilliant choice for this team. It provided amazing defensive utility to Lunala (and also the fairy/dark + ghost combination which led to the christening of this team), a brilliant stealth rock slot as it threatens a majority of the common defoggers in the meta, as well as an amazing blanket wall in general. It was also a reliable Yveltal check; something the team lacked at that time and point. I have EV'd it to outspeed Palkia, which is a handy speed creep in most scenarios. Rest of the EVs invested into bulk to give it a sturdy walling option, as well as tank +1 Z move from Marshadow. It also proved to be my soft-check for Zygarde, Mega Salamence and Rayquaza.

An alternative that I developed for Fairy-Arceus over time was Dark-Arceus.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

While the sets and EVs are similar, Arceus-Dark provided a solid answer for Lunala/Gothitelle for the team, both of which were a major threat in the past. It also notably checks Yveltal, albeit lacking the same efficiency as Fairyceus. However, a major drawback of using this set is more of a vulnerability to Marshadow/Zygarde, however, Mega Sab/Scarf Ho-Oh/Lunala often appropriately cover this issue.

While most of the Spirituality variations usually packs the core mentioned above, the last two slots are extremely flexible. I'll try to cover most of the sets that I have used over time, and the reason why which I chose said set as part of the team.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Swords Dance
- Morning Sun
- Earthquake

An obvious slot as the team's Xerneas check, Dusk-Mane provides a much needed stability to the team, as well as the team's primary toxic immunity. I used Swords Dance + Earthquake over the usual toxic set in order to pressure Balance and deal with opposing bulky Dusk-Mane. It also punishes Ferrothorn while Mega-Sableye negates Spikestack, and has often been a very important slot for the team.

Necrozma-Ultra @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Neuroforce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake

Ultra was another slot that got major gamechanging representation, as most teams do not expect to come up against an SD sweeper variation on this team. It maintains its position as a Xerneas check by remaining in its base form, while it gains a major inflow of momentum by the Ultra transform vs non-Xerneas teams. Ultra's ability to take out 1-2 consistently is a huge help for this team. However, it is extremely crucial to not go for Ultra form before Xerneas is eliminated, as that more or less results in the team entirely losing its Xerneas check. It is also important to go for Fairy-Arceus over Dark-Arceus on Ultra teams, as Fairyceus limits the setup opportunities provided to Xerneas, while Darkceus is entirely setup bait.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic/Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

An incredibly useful team slot, Primal Kyogre is excellent pressure for this team once the Primal-Groudon has been chipped out. It also functions as the team's status absorber and soft-check for Dusk-Mane, especially the toxic variants. While Kyogre is threatened by Primal-Groudon, it is also notable that it has the potential to hard switch into Groudon without worrying about the consequences at least once per game, as it has been equipped with a timid max speed set with defensive EVs, allowing it to tank, outspeed and OHKO most groudon variants. Even though this is a defensive set, it is incredibly difficult to switch into Primal-Kyogre, which means that most Primal Groudons will take their chance and get baited into a fast scald.

These variations almost always end up as being one of the most reliable ladder teams if played right - offering solid answers to webs offense, standard HO, balance and stall alike.

Some of the most common variations of this team along with importables -

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic

Careful Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Swords Dance
- Morning Sun
- Earthquake

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Moongeist Beam

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Fake Out
- Recover

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Defog
- Toxic

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP
- Transform

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Moongeist Beam

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Recover

Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic

EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Moongeist Beam

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption

Blissey @ Shed Shell
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Confide
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 26 Spe
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar
- Rest

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Diamond Storm

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
- Moongeist Beam

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Toxic

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Heal Bell

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Fake Out
- Recover

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

Lunala @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Defog
- Toxic

Blissey (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Confide
- Heal Bell

James Jimmy for being a major reason why I picked up the old Diancie variation and re-built the team to form the new core.
dewtios KyogreF4N Serial EKiller for being avid testers/builders to shape up the team
Ransei for helping me out with the RMT
DEG for being a pimp irl
DonnotheFirst for being a chimp
EzyRider for being a bro and helping with tests
Arushi for picking up the team and laddering (I'm gonna need the replays btw)
Customary s/o to the AG Gang Thimo bdov PurpleGatorade Arushi Chloe Megazard Zenithial Zesty43 Pigeons Catalystic cromagnet42 (sry if I missed anyone out)

Peace

Last edited:
Thank god ,

Finally an rmt of a team with a clear game plan and a good overall strategy that is not HO.

Love the synergie of your pokemon and that you describe the purpose/usage for each.

Would be cool to also add this to the uber samples team.

If you have additional time it would be awesome to see some more standard balance teams (without sableye)
as an rmt. New players really have no choice to go HO if nobody provides them with working combination of sets.

Keep up the great Work

Best regard

L3mN

Fudo De Yusei

Banned deucer.
Really awesome team man, easily the best Ubers RMT in recent months. I would suggest submitting this as a Sample Team, it's easy to use and represents an excellent image of what a great Balance Team should ideally look like right now. The use of Scarf Ho-Oh was very innovative and it's an unexpected revenge killer to beat Marsh, which can otherwise prove difficult for this team to face.

Marshadow is neutered by the 2 best counters it has in the entire game, with fairyceus and mega sableye. The latter even avoids to be trapped by gothi/mgar, so you shouldnt have issues with marshadow :)

Fudo De Yusei

Banned deucer.
Marshadow is neutered by the 2 best counters it has in the entire game, with fairyceus and mega sableye. The latter even avoids to be trapped by gothi/mgar, so you shouldnt have issues with marshadow :)
I agree. It honestly depends on the variant that is being used though, with Darkceus present and Sableye weakened, Scarf Ho-Oh becomes the saving grace of this team. With Fairyceus however, Marshadow is adequately checked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)