The Tennis Thread

Yes, teams up with with Petzschner

Regarding Memphis' field, none of the players was in the top ten at the moment, while in most of the atp 250 there is at least 1 top-ten and sometimes even 2+. Plus the eight seeded player was around 40th in the rankings or something. I'm not saying Memphis isn't an important tournament, just that the ranking of the players is on average comparable to an atp 250 with a mediocre field (probably faces competition from Hamburg as the atp 500 with the worst field).

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Funny that Memphis is being compared to a ATP 500 here, because Memphis will become an ATP 250 in the next two years! The ATP 500 is moving to Rio de Janeiro, while the SAP Open (in San Jose) ATP 250 event is moving to Memphis, so that means San Jose is left with the short stick. Very curious to see what kind of tournament the Brazil Open will be.

If you needed to see any confirmation that Memphis (and Hamburg) have such inferior fields to other ATP 500s, just look at the field for Barcelona. Nadal is playing Janko Tisparevic, the 8th ranked player in the world, in the quarterfinals. That is something you would find at a Masters 1000 or a Grand Slam. In the quarterfinals, Milos Raonic is the lowest ranked and seeded player left (25 and 11, respectively).

I never understood why lower ranked players did not take full advantage of Memphis, Hamburg, Washington to an extent, etc. They serve as a great opportunity to increase the ranking - especially for lower ranked guys. Once you get at a higher ranking, all other tournaments become much easier in terms of the draw. Obviously the tournament may not be at the perfect moment (Hamburg between the Grass and Hard Court seasons...) but it would be a good tactical move for the rankings.

Looking forward to how Barcelona plays out, and of course Rome and Madrid before Roland Garros.

Yeh, I read that in the ATP World Tour webpage. However, is it going to be a hard court tournametn or a clay tournament, because there is another clay tourn (atp 250) the same week.

I think the category of the tourns should focus more on the average ranking of the players in the past 5 years or something, because right now it's totally based on the prize money.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
did you guys see this new clay court in madrid ? what a shame, this "blue clay" is ugly as fuck. Best players like nadal, djoko and fed were against this new color so idk why the ATP did it...
Nalbandian to win Roland Garros.... since that probably wont happen, im rooting for fed who is going to win wimbledon + us open

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Nah I disagree about the ugly part. I think, aesthetically, it's beautiful and it makes the ball much easier to see on streams/tv.

Admittedly I got bored of it two matches in though. I miss the red clay. Players from both the WTA and ATP have commented that the new surface isn't really good for anything except for the spectators. Heaps of inconsistency on the bounces but at the same time the ball flies through the court (mostly because of the altitutde of the location). Essentially, it's a blue grass court lol not very useful as a warmup for RG.

So we all know there isn't much of a chance that an American will win more than a couple rounds at the French. At best, maybe Isner makes the QF, but the chances of that are pretty slim. However, I'm more concerned with the amazing comback story of Brian Baker. I'm watching this guy play right now against Davydenko in the semis of Nice, and I'm very impressed (currently serving a set down, back on serve in the 2nd.) I started following him when he defeated a pro I used to watch train back in Savannah... the guy doesn't stop winning. On clay against Monfils? No problem (granted Monfils is having a terrible year and just pulled out of the French due to injury.)

Unlike most American males, this guy seems to have a legitimate clay-court game. Sure, he has a ranking of 200-something, but with a direct bye into the main draw of the French, I could see him eating Malisse and giving Simon a run for his money. Anyways, if you want to read more about this guy there are a couple good articles out there such as this one.

Looking at the French Open draws, its really hard to pick against Rafa. What I don't understand is the logic behind tennis seeding - especially high seeds. Why in the world would you ever want the 1 and 3 seeds to play in the semis? I know this practice has been around for a while, but I don't understand. The only logic that I can think of is that if you have the same players at the top, you want different match ups from tournament to tournament. However, this seems unfair for someone like Djokovic; he's earned his place as the #1 player in the world, why should he have to battle through Federer and Nadal whilst Nadal must only pass the winner of the two (and Murray... lol.) If someone could explain the logic behind this type of seeding it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Baker in the finals of Nice, this is unreal. Really hope he can take down Almagro... we'll see.

Looking at the French Open draws, its really hard to pick against Rafa. What I don't understand is the logic behind tennis seeding - especially high seeds. Why in the world would you ever want the 1 and 3 seeds to play in the semis? I know this practice has been around for a while, but I don't understand. The only logic that I can think of is that if you have the same players at the top, you want different match ups from tournament to tournament. However, this seems unfair for someone like Djokovic; he's earned his place as the #1 player in the world, why should he have to battle through Federer and Nadal whilst Nadal must only pass the winner of the two (and Murray... lol.) If someone could explain the logic behind this type of seeding it would be much appreciated.
The #3 and #4 seeds are randomly put into either half of the draw. The only certainty when it comes to draws is that #1 seed will be at the top and #2 at the bottom. There can be a #1 vs #3 semi or a #1 vs #4 semi. That's why they always announce stuff like "Murray In Nadal's Half Of The Draw" As for the seedings themselves, they tend to go by ranking, except in Wimbledon for some odd reason, where they seem to go by different criteria, such as past performance.

As for the French, truth be told I haven't been able to keep up with tennis lately as much as I'd have liked to, however I'll express a few opinions.

The bottom half of the first quarter seems quite interesting. I haven't seen Baker play, so I can't comment on his chances, but Simon, Andujar, Bellucci are all good claycourt players, and Tsonga with a home crowd is always a hard one to take out.

Can't see any one of them taking out Djokovic however, nor any of the guys in his route to the quarters, so I'm pretty sure he'll make semis, sans an injury.

Keen to see a Federer-Nalbandian second round, though Federer doesn't struggle against him as he once did. There's really no one else too threatening on his route to the quarters either.

Delpo-Montanes is going to be interesting and I could believe it as one of the big first-round upsets. Berdych has seemed in good form as of late, so a Federer-Berdych quarterfinal is definitely on the cards.

Ferrer looks like another solid quarterfinalist, being a top-class claycourt player with a pretty easy draw. Third round looks like the hardest one for him, and even that doesn't look too bad, seeing as neither Youzhny not Haase are playing as well as they have done in the past as of late.

I'd love to see a Haas revival in this tour, but Dolgopolov will be a tricky match for him if he gets to the second round. I'd also like to finally see Dimitrov make a splash and live up to the hype around him, but I can't see him beating Gasquet at all honestly, especially since he's been performing well. Murray, in my mind, is the only one of the top 4 who has a good chance of getting knocked out before the quarters. He's not that great on clay, and he's returning from injury, so I don't fancy his chances.

Bottom quarter looks interesting. Clay is Tipsarevic's weakest surface, and he's one of the more unreliable top 10 guys in terms of early round matches, so getting dumped out early isn't unlikely. I'd love to see a Kohlschreiber-Almagro third round. I'd say they're the two most likely candidates for the quarters from that part of the draw.

Monaco-Raonic looks like another interesting third round, with a good contrast of styles. Despite there being good players in that part of the draw, it's hard to ever predict against Nadal on clay, so I honestly see him making finals relatively easily unless he gets injured or plays Raonic on a day where he's hitting 12 aces and just as many service winners per set.

As a huge Tipsarevic fan, I will say that I don't like his chances - though he did just beat Kohlschreiber over in Dusseldorf (granted it went the distance.) Though if he manages to make it to (what should be) Almagro, I don't like his chances.. especially after watching him get destroyed by Simon in Rome. Oh, and he has to play Querrey round 1?

:evan:

Most of what Vuvuzela said I would have to agree with. Raonic is the only 'threat' (not much of one) in Nadal's quarter. The truth us, you can't beat Nadal at Roland Garros without some big weapons. If you like to grind and earn your win with consistency.. its going to be a looong day. However, it should be noted that Mayer has beaten him before (on hard) and played an amazing set against Rafa over in Rome (ended up losing the breaker.)

I really do like Dolgopolov's draw, though if I were a betting man I'd say Ferrer makes it out of that one. Murray has been far from impressive as of late.

As for the question dealing with seedings, I understand that the 3/4 and are placed at random, but do you know why that is the case? It seems like in all other sports they never deviate away from the 1/4 2/3 structure. Didn't know if there was some special tradition or underlying cause that I was not aware of.

As a huge Tipsarevic fan, I will say that I don't like his chances - though he did just beat Kohlschreiber over in Dusseldorf (granted it went the distance.) Though if he manages to make it to (what should be) Almagro, I don't like his chances.. especially after watching him get destroyed by Simon in Rome. Oh, and he has to play Querrey round 1?

:evan:

As for the question dealing with seedings, I understand that the 3/4 and are placed at random, but do you know why that is the case? It seems like in all other sports they never deviate away from the 1/4 2/3 structure. Didn't know if there was some special tradition or underlying cause that I was not aware of.

I'm a big Tipsarevic fan as well, and have been ever since I randomly caught him playing Mathieu in 2008's Monte Carlo(I hadn't seen the 5 setter vs Federer). His play at the moment just isn't that great. Even in the Kohlschreiber match yesterday(I only managed to see the third set) he wasn't playing all that well. He kind of reminds me of Nalbandian in the sense that he only seems to play his best when he's playing the big boys.
EDIT: Tipsa played well in as much of the Berdych match I saw. Hopefully Serbia will win the team cup and give him some confidence going into the French.

As far as why the seedings are left to chance, I don't really know. My guess would be to spice-up the ties, because there's like 12 tournaments a year that have all of the top 4 playing(London doesn't have seeding despite featuring them all and Monte Carlo hasn't had Federer for the last decade almost) , and two of them make one of the semis relatively often, so seeing the same matches in a bunch of semis would get monotonous.

I'm wondering what people think about Azarenkas chances to actually win this FO? I've heard some people call her the favorite but I'm honestly wondering why, considering she's not been playing her best and Sharapova and Williams are on fire. I'd put my money on either of them (or Li Na/Stosur, even) over Azarenka. Idk, I expect a meltdown, especially after watching her struggle to get her round one win... admittedly it was an impressive comeback, but still. I'll be rooting for Sharapova to finish her career slam. Would love to see Serena win too.

The men's interests me less this year, with Nadal being the heavy favorite as always and a chance of Federer or Djokovic taking it from him. I'll be rooting for Djokovic, unless by some longshot Murray or someone looks like they could do it. Wouldn't mind seeing an upset in the Men's at all.

I'm wondering what people think about Azarenkas chances to actually win this FO? I've heard some people call her the favorite but I'm honestly wondering why, considering she's not been playing her best and Sharapova and Williams are on fire. I'd put my money on either of them (or Li Na/Stosur, even) over Azarenka. Idk, I expect a meltdown, especially after watching her struggle to get her round one win... admittedly it was an impressive comeback, but still. I'll be rooting for Sharapova to finish her career slam. Would love to see Serena win too.

The men's interests me less this year, with Nadal being the heavy favorite as always and a chance of Federer or Djokovic taking it from him. I'll be rooting for Djokovic, unless by some longshot Murray or someone looks like they could do it. Wouldn't mind seeing an upset in the Men's at all.
After the first round...

Sharapova omonomnomnom double bagel gg

Serena

Of all the American women that could have lost, who would have guessed it would have been Serena. n_n

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Maria Yury-fucking-evna Sharapova becomes only the 6th woman in the open era to complete the career grand slam (alongside Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Serena Williams). So fucking happy right now I feel the need to stan here as well!!!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I almost wanted Errani to win both singles and doubles but Sharapova definitely deserves both the title and the #1 rank right now.

junior

so happy girl!!!!!!!!! omg. All these years of hardship as a Maria stan and she finally accomplishes everything she set out to do post-shoulder surgery.

It's really amazing how much she's worked on her claycourt game. To think it could be her best surface now going 30-3 in win-loss since 2011. Big credits to Hogstedt and his incredible ability to analyse other players and believing in Maria and joining her team when she was still slumping.

It's nice that the woman's No. 1 will finally again be someone who, you know, has actually won one of the 4 major tournaments instead of scooping up points from all the other tournaments you've never heard of.

junior

actually Vika became no. 1 after she won the Australian Open. We've had a slam champion as no. 1 for 19 weeks now!

as for the fate of the other slam champions, Wozniacki has slid down to as low as world no. 9 (fastest fall from the no. 1 position ever, even Ivanovic did better), Jankovic is in her worst slump yet, falling out of the top 20 for the first time since 2006? and Safina is semi-retired due to lower back injury. Both Woz and Jaja (:( so sad for jaja) lost before R3 of Roland Garros.

anyway as of this week Maria will be the the official no. 1 and also no. 1 in the race to the year-end championships.

as for the men's final, Nole also looks to complete the career grand slam just as Maria did, but even more prestigious he's looking at holding all four grand slam titles at the same time, something that hasn't been done since Rod Laver in 1969?

Meanwhile, Nadal looks at breaking his joint record with Bjorn Borg with most RG titles won - if he wins this'll be his 7th.

Head to head is 18-14 in favour of Nadal.
In finals they are 7-7.
On claycourts Nadal leads 11-2.
Nadal won their last two meetings in the 2012 MC masters final and 2012 Rome masters final both in straight sets.

Nadal has only been broken once this year at RG so far and has spent over 4 hrs less time on court than Nole. Nole is (imo) in his worst form since 2010 while Nadal is playing very well. Only Nole's willpower can get him a win here at RG imo, maybe his gramp's death might inspire him to complete the Nole slam in his honour.

Head says Nadal in 3, heart says Nole.

It's nice that the woman's No. 1 will finally again be someone who, you know, has actually won one of the 4 major tournaments instead of scooping up points from all the other tournaments you've never heard of.

I don't see why people make such a big fuss about players becoming #1 without winning a major. The rankings system is the way it is in order to encourage players to go and actually play matches and entertain fans. If the slam winners can't be bothered to haul their asses over to 250s and perform there, then not being #1 is their fault, and their fault alone. Also, there's also the fact that when you're not playing all these tournaments your chances of getting injured and of going into slams with fatigue or lingering injuries are much lower, meaning that you have an inherently greater chance to win going in. Is that a valid strategy for winning slams? Probably. Is a valid strategy for being #1 in the rankings? Hell no. Grand Slams are not the be-all and end-all of professional tennis, nor should they be in my opinion.

As for Rafa vs Nole, as it has been stated here previously, Rafa is definitely the favourite going in. Much less court time, and better play thus far in the tournament. The only way I can see him losing is a choke like in the Australian Open final combined with good play by Djokovic, but seeing as he's no longer on a losing streak against Nole and he's playing well, it's not particularly likely.

junior

I don't see why people make such a big fuss about players becoming #1 without winning a major. The rankings system is the way it is in order to encourage players to go and actually play matches and entertain fans. If the slam winners can't be bothered to haul their asses over to 250s and perform there, then not being #1 is their fault, and their fault alone. Also, there's also the fact that when you're not playing all these tournaments your chances of getting injured and of going into slams with fatigue or lingering injuries are much lower, meaning that you have an inherently greater chance to win going in. Is that a valid strategy for winning slams? Probably. Is a valid strategy for being #1 in the rankings? Hell no. Grand Slams are not the be-all and end-all of professional tennis, nor should they be in my opinion.
Jankovic didn't get much flack for being a slamless #1.

Safina did, however, because Serena was holding 3 slams at that time to Safina's 0. It was clear who the world's best player is and the ranking system did not demonstrate that.

In Wozniacki's case, she GAINED the no. 1 position through Serena's injury and sickness which put her off the court for 11 months and she began accumulating smaller titles. Clijsters could be blamed but she has a family to tend to. Kudos to Wozniacki for taking advantage of the transition era (2010-2011 where older generations were dropping like flies and the newer generation had yet to establish itself) but I still do not support the idea of her at #1.

Wozniacki ended 2010 and 2011 as the no. 1 player but the ranking is FAR from the truth. Serena was the dominant player of 2010 before the injury derailed her year. Clijsters was the next dominant player, winning 5 tournaments including the US Open and year end championships and was named player of the year.

In 2011 Kvitova had a more slams, more wins, much better win percentage, won the year end championships, had more top 10 wins - generally speaking did EVERYTHING better than Wozniacki that year. Kvitova ended the year ranked #2 and only 100~ pts behind Wozniacki. Kvitova was awarded player of the year and well deserved too.

Actually, how Wozniacki ended 2011 as no. 1 leaves me even more dumbfounded than her finish in 2010 did. Bombed out in R3 at Roland Garros, R4 at Wimbledon, failed to win a single match in Toronto and Cincinnati and flopped in the asian swing and YEC going like 4-4 in win-loss. The only top 10 players she also beat that year was Francesca Schiavone and Jelena Jankovic, both who dropped out of the top 10 not soon after. Pretty pathetic for the #1 player.

As much as I hate Azarenka, I'm glad she stepped up to the plate after she took the #1 title by winning the Australian Open. She went on to win Doha and Indian Wells, made the final of Stuttgart and Madrid.

In fact, the amount of points both Maria and Azarenka have earned this year so far is only about 500-1000 pts behind the amount Wozniacki earned all of 2011, and there's still over half the season left for them. So yeah, Wozniacki is a flop number 1. I think Safina and Jankovic were better #1s.

anyway nole nadal starting now. gl nole. :)

Jankovic didn't get much flack for being a slamless #1.

Safina did, however, because Serena was holding 3 slams at that time to Safina's 0. It was clear who the world's best player is and the ranking system did not demonstrate that.

I don't remember whether the current ranking system was implemented then or whether it was the old one, however Grand Slams have always had an amazing weight in the rankings. Yes, Serena was winning Slams, but Safina was making finals and winning Premier Events, and playing some damn good tennis doing so. It was not at all clear who the better player was. Safina was the one who performed better all year round(the year is not just 4 tournaments) according to the criteria the rankings go by and subsequently became #1.

In Wozniacki's case, she GAINED the no. 1 position through Serena's injury and sickness which put her off the court for 11 months and she began accumulating smaller titles. Clijsters could be blamed but she has a family to tend to. Kudos to Wozniacki for taking advantage of the transition era (2010-2011 where older generations were dropping like flies and the newer generation had yet to establish itself) but I still do not support the idea of her at #1.

Wozniacki ended 2010 and 2011 as the no. 1 player but the ranking is FAR from the truth. Serena was the dominant player of 2010 before the injury derailed her year. Clijsters was the next dominant player, winning 5 tournaments including the US Open and year end championships and was named player of the year.

In 2011 Kvitova had a more slams, more wins, much better win percentage, won the year end championships, had more top 10 wins - generally speaking did EVERYTHING better than Wozniacki that year. Kvitova ended the year ranked #2 and only 100~ pts behind Wozniacki. Kvitova was awarded player of the year and well deserved too.

Actually, how Wozniacki ended 2011 as no. 1 leaves me even more dumbfounded than her finish in 2010 did. Bombed out in R3 at Roland Garros, R4 at Wimbledon, failed to win a single match in Toronto and Cincinnati and flopped in the asian swing and YEC going like 4-4 in win-loss. The only top 10 players she also beat that year was Francesca Schiavone and Jelena Jankovic, both who dropped out of the top 10 not soon after. Pretty pathetic for the #1 player.

I agree that Wozniacki is one of the worst #1s tennis has had in a while, but sometimes the ranking system's flaws come to the surface as they're bound to. As you have made clear, the issue with Wozniacki wasn't solely that she was slamless, it was that she simply wasn't playing THAT well. Regardless, when you don't have someone dominating the big tournaments, the ranking system lends itself to becoming a free-for-all, and Wozniacki capitalized. Sure she may have not been the best player at that point in time, however there was no concrete way to establish who was.

As much as I hate Azarenka, I'm glad she stepped up to the plate after she took the #1 title by winning the Australian Open. She went on to win Doha and Indian Wells, made the final of Stuttgart and Madrid.

In fact, the amount of points both Maria and Azarenka have earned this year so far is only about 500-1000 pts behind the amount Wozniacki earned all of 2011, and there's still over half the season left for them. So yeah, Wozniacki is a flop number 1. I think Safina and Jankovic were better #1s.

anyway nole nadal starting now. gl nole. :)
Responses in bold.

Anyway, I quite simply don't feel players should be bashed for becoming #1. The rankings are nothing more than one way of measuring one's success as a tennis player. If someone doesn't think they're accurate, which in the last few years of the women's game they probably haven't been, then that person should ignore them instead of complaining about how terrible the players who top them are, because they're not terrible at all.

It's not like there's any surefire way to judge performance in any sport anyway. Sure, you can have the best win percentage in the world, but if a large percentage of those wins are due to your opponents choking does that make you the best? I don't think so, others might. I think people should just express their opinion on who the best player in the world is without having to call out other players at the same time.

I think Federer will win Halle as usual. Even though Nadal has some momentum, I still think even if he faces Fed in the final he will still lose :/

Halle is going as expected (for the most part.) However, I thought this was kind of funny. Look at all the seeds falling off - including Murray.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I want to give a big congrats to Masha for winning the French Open - I am very happy for her! I didn't start following tennis until 2009 so my first impressions of Maria were her coming back from her shoulder injury. To be honest I wasn't sure if she would ever make it back to #1, so I am very happy to see a great story achieved on the women's side.

I'm really loving the current numbers 1-5 in the rankings, and when Serena gets back in that mix I think it will be one of the best Top 5-6 Group in women's tennis for some time, with the only slamless woman being Aga (very sad, because she is my favorite player!). For once I am really fascinated by the women's game right now and I am looking forward to seeing who is going to step up for the next few months through the US Open.

As for the men, Rafa is just an animal. I still think Borg (for now) was a better player than Nadal, but there is no doubt Nadal is the King of Clay. He needs to do more work at the other Grand Slams to have a legit shot at being the GOAT though - 7/11 titles coming at one slam does not make a good GOAT argument.

I would love to see Roger win Wimbledon and the Olympics more than anything. Even though he has accomplished so much, I don't think there would be any doubt that either win would be the most satisfying of his career. It is hard to tell who the favorite is going into Wimbledon - my heart says Roger because this is the part of the year he has been waiting for, but my head is saying that Rafa has really picked up steam. It could really depend on the draw, but I think each member of the BIG 3 has a legit shot at winning. I give a slight edge to Fed and Nadal over the Djoker though.

As for this week, the seeds are dropping like flies at Queen's - I really hope this means Baby Fed (Dimitrov) can make a run to the finals. From looking at the draw, he could do it the way he has been serving this week. As for Halle, Roger has a tough task ahead with the always tricky Mayer and then Raonic if he beats Mayer. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger struggled this week, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he won Halle either. I expect Rafa to get upset - I don't think he has gotten to the final of Queen's since 2008 I believe. Should be a really exciting week for tennis to be sure.

junior

Responses in bold.

Anyway, I quite simply don't feel players should be bashed for becoming #1. The rankings are nothing more than one way of measuring one's success as a tennis player. If someone doesn't think they're accurate, which in the last few years of the women's game they probably haven't been, then that person should ignore them instead of complaining about how terrible the players who top them are, because they're not terrible at all.

It's not like there's any surefire way to judge performance in any sport anyway. Sure, you can have the best win percentage in the world, but if a large percentage of those wins are due to your opponents choking does that make you the best? I don't think so, others might. I think people should just express their opinion on who the best player in the world is without having to call out other players at the same time.
Yeah I know it's not Woz's fault nobody else could step up to the plate at the time. It was merely a weak transitional era with Venus and Serena out due to injuries and illnesses and Clijsters being a part time player.

I'm glad that leaders of "Gen Suck" (Kvitty, Vika, Aga, Woz) has finally been stepping up to the plate since Wimbledon last year particularly the former three who holds a few of the most prestigious titles (Wimbledon, YEC, AO, Indian Wells, Miami). Not to mention the emergence of Kerber as well.

Halle is going as expected (for the most part.) However, I thought this was kind of funny. Look at all the seeds falling off - including Murray.
Tsonga lost as well but I think it's because he broke his thumb. Hes going to get it scanned asap but at this rate his Wimbledon appearance is in doubt. :(

I want to give a big congrats to Masha for winning the French Open - I am very happy for her! I didn't start following tennis until 2009 so my first impressions of Maria were her coming back from her shoulder injury. To be honest I wasn't sure if she would ever make it back to #1, so I am very happy to see a great story achieved on the women's side.
It's been a very tough road for Maria and her fans - at one point she even apologized to her fans for not being able to step up but nobody blames her. She's one of the very few tennis players to have come back from a career threatening injury or traumatic experience and win a slam (Seles and Muster are the others that come to mind).

If you weren't aware, she was at the top of the game and dominating when the shoulder injury forced her out for 9 month.

This video summarises her struggle throughout the years from late 07 to Australian Open final this year. Brings me to tears every time I watch it.

This match is definitely her best performance since coming back from her shoulder surgery. Not as good as she was in 2006 and 2008 but still very high level.

I'm really loving the current numbers 1-5 in the rankings, and when Serena gets back in that mix I think it will be one of the best Top 5-6 Group in women's tennis for some time, with the only slamless woman being Aga (very sad, because she is my favorite player!). For once I am really fascinated by the women's game right now and I am looking forward to seeing who is going to step up for the next few months through the US Open.
sorry but I HAVE to bring this up: Aga is the only player in the top 15 who has never made it to the semifinal of a slam :evan:

But yeah for sure. It's been a while since women's tennis has had a completely dominant set of top players, probably the first time since Justine, William Sisters in 2007 or Justine, Amelie and Maria in 2006.

For the past 52 weeks we have Kvitova dominant on grass and indoor hardcourts, Azarenka during the winter hardcourt season and Sharapova on clay. Serena remains a strong force on the tour as well winning Stanford, Toronto, Charleston, Madrid.

I would love to see Roger win Wimbledon and the Olympics more than anything. Even though he has accomplished so much, I don't think there would be any doubt that either win would be the most satisfying of his career. It is hard to tell who the favorite is going into Wimbledon - my heart says Roger because this is the part of the year he has been waiting for, but my head is saying that Rafa has really picked up steam. It could really depend on the draw, but I think each member of the BIG 3 has a legit shot at winning. I give a slight edge to Fed and Nadal over the Djoker though.
Even though I'm not Fed's biggest fan (his game is beautiful mind you just his personality is a bit off putting) I wanted to see him at no. 1 again just to surpass Pete's record at no. 1 and he really had a chance, winning I think 8/10 tournaments he entered from indoors season last year till Madrid this year. He could've had a chance had he did better in slams.

What I think Fed's main focus now should be this Olympics. Forget about Wimbledon, he has a few more years to have a go at it but he's never won the Olympics and it's gunna be on grass this year so he should try to bring out his best tennis there to complete the career golden grand slam.

As for this week, the seeds are dropping like flies at Queen's - I really hope this means Baby Fed (Dimitrov) can make a run to the finals. From looking at the draw, he could do it the way he has been serving this week. As for Halle, Roger has a tough task ahead with the always tricky Mayer and then Raonic if he beats Mayer. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger struggled this week, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he won Halle either. I expect Rafa to get upset - I don't think he has gotten to the final of Queen's since 2008 I believe. Should be a really exciting week for tennis to be sure.
YES!!! I love Grisha. Hoping he takes out the title. Such a nice game (and such a babe too lol!!)

nerves of fucking steel sharapova winning that first set (against pironkova, if you arent watching)... impressive even for her.

a shame that maria and nole are playing at the same time, though. :/

edit: nadal is such a fucking pussy complaining about nothing I hope Rosol continues spanking him :justin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)