Strategy & Metagame This Really, Really needs to be done (title will change if approved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Introduction:

Assault Vest is one of the new items introduced in the sixth generation of Pokemon with a competitive use: it boosts the holder's Special Defense stat by 50%, but in exchange the holder can only use attacking moves. At first this looks like a pretty good tradeoff right? Well, believe it or not using this item often isn't worth it over better options. In this article i'll be explaining why contrary to the belief of new players, Assault Vest isn't an item that you can simply slap on every offensive Pokemon and expect to work, show some examples of poor Assault Vest users, and give examples of what Pokemon can actually use Assault Vest effectively. This particular article will be geared toward the RU tier, but the general point of this article should apply to every other tier as well, although the Pokemon in question will be different.

But wait, what's wrong with Assault Vest?

Although the general tone of this article might suggest otherwise, i'll get this out of the way early: Assault Vest isn't an objectively bad item. There are definitely cases where the right Pokemon can use the item effectively, but that's the thing, you need the right Pokemon to make it worthwhile at all. New players in all tiers have a tendency to simply slap Assault Vest onto every offensive Pokemon in sight, often simply hampering the Pokemon's effectiveness in the process by not using better options, and not getting the full benefit out of the item itself at all. If you're going to use Assault Vest right, you need to think long and hard about whether the Pokemon in question actually works well holding one.

Types of Pokemon that shouldn't be using Assault Vest.

1) Frail Pokemon

This is by far one of the most common mistakes i see with Assault Vest. A 50% Special Defense buff on a frail offensive Pokemon might seem like a good idea on paper, but it really doesn't play out effectively in practice. For starters, a frail Pokemon holding Assault Vest will often still be too frail to take a hit even when holding the item. Things like Assault Vest Durant will still be dying to pretty much every special attack thrown at them even with the buff to their special defense, which means it really simply isn't worth it. On top of this, there are several items that function significantly more effectively for Pokemon like this, including Choice Band, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, and Life Orb. By giving Assault Vest to frail Pokemon, you're missing out on all the added benefits the aforementioned items could give you, all for a Special Defense buff that, at least on a Pokemon with defenses that low, probably won't even matter in the end. While these Pokemon aren't frail per se, Pokemon that rely Close Combat in particular also fit into this category, as the drawback of the move itself is completely counterproductive with what Assault Vest is supposed to accomplish.

2) Pokemon that rely on their support movepool

So you've scratched frail Pokemon out of your list of Pokemon to slap an Assault Vest onto, and start looking at the more defensive/supportive side of the tier to find a Pokemon that can effectively hold the item. The problem? Assault Vest's drawback makes it so a Pokemon thats holding it can only attack, it can't use useful defensive moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Sleep Powder, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover to support its team and keep itself alive for longer, respectively. No matter what youtubers such as BlameTruth tell you, the Special Defense buff simply isn't worth it on these Pokemon when you end up losing access to moves this valuable in the process. For example, this means that Assault Vest Qwilfish is completely unable to set up those valuable Spikes you should be using it for in the first place, while Assault Vest Whimsicott loses out on its entire plethora of support moves to abuse Prankster with, pretty much defeating the purpose of using Whimsicott in the first place. Assault Vest Amoonguss and Assault Vest Hitmontop might not look quite as bad as the former two at holding Assault Vest (the former was even believed to be a solid holder of it in the first month of the XY metagame, although of course that simply isn't true now), but the former sorely misses its access to Spore, while the latter is unable to use Toxic and Foresight to get past the various Spinblockers in the RU tier, making it much less effective at what its actually aiming to do: Rapid Spin away hazards.

3) Pokemon that don't hit hard

Given that when the only thing a Pokemon holding Assault Vest can do is attack, its a given that a Pokemon that can use that item effectively should be one that can do as much damage off the bat as possible, yet somehow Assault Vest still finds its way onto Pokemon that simply don't have the initial offensive presence to utilize it effectively. Pokemon such as Registeel and Lanturn might seem good on paper with an extra buff to their already good defenses, but they simply don't hit hard enough to make running a fully offensive set without an item boost a viable option. Pokemon that rely on boosting moves to sweep also fall into this category, Pokemon such as Drapion and Slurpuff might be perfectly fine at sweeping, but if they need a Swords Dance/Dragon Dance/Belly Drum boost to do so reliably, they obviously aren't good users of Assault Vest given they can't use these moves as long as they're holding them.

4) DOUBLADE (and NFEs in general)

Just.....no. Putting an Assault Vest on Doublade is one of the worst possible things you could do with it. Not only do you lose access to Swords Dance to boost your Attack stat while using it, but Eviolite does the same thing to Doublade's Special Defense stat, while also giving the same boost to its already excellent physical bulk and still allowing it to use Swords Dance. The same applies to every other NFE in the game as well, there's no reason to use Assault Vest on them when Eviolite's around.

So what Pokemon should be using Assault Vest?

So now that i've shown what kind of Pokemon make bad Assault Vest users, now its the time to explain what can actually hold the item effectively. The select few Pokemon that should be holding Assault Vest are slow, bulky tanks that can afford to take a hit and dish out some major damage in return. These Pokemon should have a method of recovering their HP in the form of moves such as Drain Punch and Giga Drain, or the ability Regenerator to recover HP passively. If they can't do this, they can still get away with it if they have resistances to common Special Attacking types such as Water, Electric, Grass, Fire, Fairy, and Psychic (that means you Rhyperior). All while not fitting or only minimally filling the qualities stated above. Three good examples of RU Pokemon that fit these qualities are Slowking, Druddigon (a scream echoes from TROP's homeland guatemala), and Escavalier, all of which sport the item excellently.

The exception:

Reuniclus

At first glance, Reuniclus might look like it fills all the qualities of a good Assault Vest Pokemon, its bulky, hits hard, and has a great ability in Regenerator to keep itself healthy. However, Assault Vest still isn't a good item on it. Why? Because it has other things it'd rather be doing than packing an Assault Vest. By holding an Assault Vest, Reuniclus loses out on three of its most important moves: Calm Mind, Recover, and Trick Room. While Reuniclus can get away with not using these in theory, it really misses the ability to break through defensive teams, Recover HP on the spot without switching out, and turn the tables on faster offensive teams, respectively. Tacked onto this unfortunate case is the fact that while Regenerator is a fantastic ability for sure, Reuniclus's other ability Magic Guard is simply better overall. Lastly, Assault Vest Reuniclus recieves competition from Assault Vest Slowking, Who has more special bulk as well as important resistances to Fire, Water, and Ice-type moves.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, Assault Vest is an item that might look good on paper, but in practice mindlessly throwing it on every Pokemon you see simply isn't a good idea. Assault Vest does have its uses on a select pool of Pokemon yes, but you need to be careful to make sure your choice is worth its salt (ha icecream joke).

Final disclaimer: as sad as it seems: i have seriously seen every pokemon mentioned in this article holding Assault Vest, no matter how bad they are.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The article above is a rough draft (will fix grammar/spelling later on, possibly add more content if needed). Anyways, as the title of the thread suggests, looking at the quality of the ladder in all tiers at the moment, an article about this item in particular genuinely needs to be done x_____x.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can / should probably expand the Doublade section to -any- Pokemon with Eviolite. There are seriously probably some people out there that don't understand why.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
I'd approve this straight away but... http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/32-bs-biting-the-bullet-assault-vest.3493444/#post-5049332 Amoonguss is referenced here as a "yes" but a "no" for you. I don't think we should go back on what we've said months ago, so how would you work around this article if yours was approved?
From what i saw in that article it was more of a look into what *could* end up being effective with Assault Vest in theory. Amoonguss was added there because i'll honestly say, in theory AV Amoonguss doesn't seem too bad. But now that XY has developed more and everyone has more experience in the metagame, its now been shown that while Amoonguss *does* have some of the qualities of a good AV Pokemon, that the loss of Spore isn't worth the SpD buff a lot of the time. Correct me if i'm wrong though :x.

EDIT: Zebraiken, updated the Doublade section. Also, while it doesn't pertain to RU, do you think adding this (LC item usage stats for goomy), would be a good idea to show section 4 is a legit problem?

17:28TIBot_Eviolite 57.774% | Assault Vest 10.540% | Choice Scarf 9.328% | Damp Rock 6.858% | Focus Sash 6.407% | Berry Juice 6.215% | Other 2.879%

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From what i saw in that article it was more of a look into what *could* end up being effective with Assault Vest in theory. Amoonguss was added there because i'll honestly say, in theory AV Amoonguss doesn't seem too bad. But now that XY has developed more and everyone has more experience in the metagame, its now been shown that while Amoonguss *does* have some of the qualities of a good AV Pokemon, that the loss of Spore isn't worth the SpD buff a lot of the time. Correct me if i'm wrong though :x.
It'd probably be worth referencing the older article and clarifying, then. n_n

EDIT: Zebraiken, updated the Doublade section. Also, while it doesn't pertain to RU, do you think adding this (LC item usage stats for goomy), would be a good idea to show section 4 is a legit problem?

17:28TIBot_Eviolite 57.774% | Assault Vest 10.540% | Choice Scarf 9.328% | Damp Rock 6.858% | Focus Sash 6.407% | Berry Juice 6.215% | Other 2.879%
I think that'd be okay, though it should just be used to hammer the point home and not really as an aspect of discussion.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While it's true that we had an earlier article on the subject, it only brought up the good examples and didn't ellaborate too much on what makes an overall good user of AV, and neither did it bring up bad examples. As I've personally been enthusiastic abou this item myself, I could use a lecture on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)