Time for the Celebratory tournament!

So, each new game release, my friend holds a round robin tournament. While we usually do VGC style, with my recent becoming of a competetive battler, of which I am the only one in our group of friends, we decided to do one of the tiers used here. After looking over the rules and the Pokemon lists, we decided to do OU.

This is taking place on Saturday, not Sunday, so we cannot use BW2 tutor moves.

Pokemon that will be commonly seen
-Ice types. These guys all rely on heavy offense, and don't bother with moves that don't do damage, so they primarily enjoy use of STAB
-Steel types. It took months, but I finally tought them that Steel is a good type to have.
-Haxorus. THese people at least have a GENERAL idea about what constitutes a good pokemon
-Pokemon Banned in VGC, but allowed in OU. These poeple will be using Mew like there's no tomorrow

Things Rarely seen
-Hazards. The only one that uses these is the one that I am teaching how to battle competetively
-Grass types. While we see them as a mixed bag, these guys hate them
-Weather. These people see no utility in these.

Anyways, On to the team.

Changes in Blue.

At a glance:

In Depth-

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability-Serene Grace
EVs- 252 HP/252 Atk/4 spd
Nature-Jolly
Iron Head
Thunder Wave
Fire Punch
Zen headbutt

The thing I origionally wanted to test out. This tournament is what I usually see as a chance to test out things I haven't used before. This is the standard Paraflinch set with a little twist. So few Jirachi run Zen Headbutt, but I find it a usable secondary STAB move. This Jirachi is way more likely to stay in on a ghost type than a ground type, so T-wave is a more reliable option than Body Slam. The guys hate Choice items, and I might add that they don't know how to EV train, (usually using hacked rare candies to get the Pokemon to level 100) so This set allows me to outspeed all of their base 100s.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability-Intimidate
EVs-252 HP/248 def/ 8spD
Nature-Impish
Spikes
Taunt
Waterfall
Toxic Spikes

I, to my knowledge didn't change this set at all. Very standard, Tuant just in case they decided to try something new as well. Also used as a fire resist to help out Jirachi. Unfortunatly, it compounds my Ground weakness, but that hopefully won't be the biggest problem

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability-Levitate
EVs- 252 HP/ 252 def/ 4 spD
Nature-Bold
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Ice Beam
Earthquake

I took Claydol here as a Stealth rocker. I have found him to be excellent at this role, as he is bulky enough to take a hit and set up rocks, and can then, if he has not fainted, fire off a few hits. Rapid Spin>Psyshock so playing ladder will be possible.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spe
-Scald
-Recover
-Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp

This thing replaced Chansey because it provides slightly more poweress to my team, Chansey's Walling potential has dropped, and provides no real utility anymore. This thing DOES.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability-Levitate
EVs-4 HP/252 SpA/252 spd
Nature-Timid
Draco Meteor
Earth Power
U-Turn
Flamethrower

I have been using this Hydreigon for months, and have made some mild changes to fit a fast paced metagame that involves switches. I used to use Dragon Pulse, but added on Draco Meteor, because Choice Specs will make me switch a lot anyways. Since I hate using Focus Miss, I don't have Dark Pulse, because the main reason for using it is a STAB move combined with a move that adds amazing coverage. Also, since you can't have both as they are breed moves, and we are playing BW, not BW2, Earth power is what I prefer. U-Turn for easy Scouting, although if Hydreigon got Volt Switch, I would be over the moon, which used to be surf, I might add. Flamethrower just as a filler, although I will be Draco Meteoring EVERYTHING.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest
232 HP/ 240 SpA/ 36 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic
-Recover

This thing replaced my useless bronzong. The standard Tinkerbell not only gives offensive poweress to this team, something VERY needed, but also helps my Jirachi Throw Thunder Waves around to troll the opponent. No real Weaknesses are compounded, and this gets rid of my Keldo and Breloom weaknesses.

Anyways, this team is extremely defensive, and I wan't a little more Offensive Poweress so that it is more balanced. ANy recomendations? This team was tested with my friend who won't be in the tournament, and each reccomendation will be tested, so, ALL options will be tested and considered. THANKS!

Alrighty then, howdy and lets see what I can recommend.

Apart from Hydreigon, it looks like this team is quite stally. However, you said you wanted more offense so I will keep that in mind. Also haha I don't have a bunch of experience with rating to beat noncompetitive teams, so I'll just say what gives you the strongest chance of winning on the ladder, and it should apply here.

Stall teams appreciate a spinblocker, so the first step is to add a Ghost type. You don't like Bronzong, and screens on stall is quite strange, so lets replace him with the queen ghost of stall, Jellicent. With ample stallbreaking and defensive capabilities, Jellicent will spread needed status across the enemy team. Now you can protect the hazards that Claydol and Qwilfish lay down.

From here, a couple things need to be addressed. Chansey is not quite the wall it used to be, offering no key resistances and mostly acting as set up fodder. Right now the team is quite weak to Breloom and Keldeo, so a classic Tinkerbell Celebi will patch up these weaknesses and also provide you with a good offensive backbone.

I don't want to change anymore of your Pokemon and compromise your originality, so I will focus on what you have, though at this point Claydol does seem a bit inert. At least it provides a good Dragon and Terrakion check. I would change Earth Power to Earthquake so that CM Jirachi cannot set up on you. Rapid Spin also merits a slot over Psyshock if you play the ladder anytime, where people will use hazards.

Though I can't make this (or any team) perfect, I would encourage you to go play the ladder on Pokemon Showdown instead of romping on your noob friends. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Sets:
Jellicent @ Leftovers
248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spe
-Scald
-Recover
-Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp

Celebi @ Life Orb
232 HP/ 240 SpA/ 36 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic
-Recover

Alrighty then, howdy and lets see what I can recommend.

Apart from Hydreigon, it looks like this team is quite stally. However, you said you wanted more offense so I will keep that in mind. Also haha I don't have a bunch of experience with rating to beat noncompetitive teams, so I'll just say what gives you the strongest chance of winning on the ladder, and it should apply here.

Stall teams appreciate a spinblocker, so the first step is to add a Ghost type. You don't like Bronzong, and screens on stall is quite strange, so lets replace him with the queen ghost of stall, Jellicent. With ample stallbreaking and defensive capabilities, Jellicent will spread needed status across the enemy team. Now you can protect the hazards that Claydol and Qwilfish lay down.

From here, a couple things need to be addressed. Chansey is not quite the wall it used to be, offering no key resistances and mostly acting as set up fodder. Right now the team is quite weak to Breloom and Keldeo, so a classic Tinkerbell Celebi will patch up these weaknesses and also provide you with a good offensive backbone.

I don't want to change anymore of your Pokemon and compromise your originality, so I will focus on what you have, though at this point Claydol does seem a bit inert. At least it provides a good Dragon and Terrakion check. I would change Earth Power to Earthquake so that CM Jirachi cannot set up on you. Rapid Spin also merits a slot over Psyshock if you play the ladder anytime, where people will use hazards.

Though I can't make this (or any team) perfect, I would encourage you to go play the ladder on Pokemon Showdown instead of romping on your noob friends. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Sets:
Jellicent @ Leftovers
248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spe
-Scald
-Recover
-Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp

Celebi @ Life Orb
232 HP/ 240 SpA/ 36 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic
-Recover
Thank you! all of these were tested today, and I love it. With a set like this, I can actually have a chance competetively as well. I'm that guy that's in between good and crap. I can beat the noobs, but suck here.

try using porygon2/espeon set. porygon counters all dragons under +2 attack, spreads paralysis, and sweeps with charge beam/ice beam while espeon heal bells, bounce hazards and toxic, trick choice items and wish support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)