FOR THE GUYS todd bonzalez's... smogoff rpg [postgame]

Oh man reading through these is super fun. I loved being on the evil team with earl but as the game progressed I did start to feel like we were missing out on a lot of the social aspects. Other people were clearly doing stuff that we weren't privy to because we were too busy killing them. So it's really cool getting to see other peoples' stories and internal chatter. Eventually I ended up trying to gather some intel only for the game to end literally on the next turn :psycry: The whole key puzzle seems like something I would have had a lot of fun with, but oh well.

Crazy to think that we could've gotten a second Quote Bubble... though, I'm not sure it would have helped us in the end. I won't spoil how it went down though, it'll be fun to watch I'm sure

Rip Check1Two... to die just two posts before Page 5....
did you kill them Blizihguh
This whole exchange gave me a big old giggle btw. I think I posted something in the group DM mourning Sala after they died too. Those blasted masked figures! >:( In retrospect we had no idea that they had spent the entire game standing around and barely missing people. What a tragic end to an equally tragic tale...

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mid game, pt 2 (cycles 18-26)
a reign of terror, the body count rises, new alliances are formed, and a team dispels the fog of mysterie

cycle 18
Troubadour1 makes a rare foray off the centre tiles, kills a Spambot that can't get through their armour, and then continues their D4 advertising campaign:

If you are cool come meet me at D4

Deep Vein Thrombosis are still on Albatross's tail, and run into the Spambot she set behind her at the Filthy Lurker shop at C2. they dispatch it easily; Drifting's Redirect Page combined with Voltage's Doubleposter's Doublet is a very powerful combination for dealing with non-player encounters. Drifting buys a Trojan Egg and a Broken Lock, and then uses two Trojan Eggs to plant Spambots on G1. i think these were planted blind, and just under the same principle as the Spambot planted on A1 to slow looters down, but it's a better target than perhaps they realised. before carrying on their pursuit, they look into their search lens to check H1...

... to find ThatOneSpork, who has finally made it here. ThatOneSpork tries the password prompt they picked up at H1, but no dice. they rest here to make another attempt, still not sure what they're looking for

just below them at H2 a slightly worse for wear Brambane arrives. they'll sit here to rest up for exactly as long as ThatOneSpork is above. i don't think either of them knows it

at G1 grape tylenol is at 9 HP, one rest away from being fully healed. just in time for the company she'll have next cycle

Albatross loots the treasure chest at D2 to claim its Blue Ink, and then checks ahead at E2. it's all clear, so she proceeds

BIG ASHLEY course-corrects, and begins heading up column E to meet her teammates

The Math Professors arrive at F7 to discover the Assassin and chimp's corpse. phoopes tries to talk to the Assassin, but he won't deal with moderator-aligned players:
"... I see. Those badges you wear... I know what they are. What you are.

"Errand boys for that poor fool. No, I'm afraid I haven't any interest in your kind."
with that, phoopes memorialises chimp, and then he and Mathy rest

Chimpin' ain't easy

cycle 19
grape tylenol has guests—the Spambots Drifting planted are here. she'll flee, but Deep Vein Thrombosis will use their Search Lens to check their handiwork before she does:

lololol ashley in shambles, this means spork is still solving the key shit btw
with this intel, they carry on South East in pursuit of Albatross

goon squad make it to E5, where they encounter CryoGyro, defiant in the face of superior numbers:
[Talk] well well well, if it isn't the Blowjob Brothers
they attack and take a chunk out of him, but are puzzled as their target appears to vanish into thin air before they can finish him off—@CryoGyro activates their Bookmark, returning to E4. it's just one tile away, but it won't incur any attacks on the way out

xzern successfully arrives back at the Editor, and dumps his scavenged into upgrading his Needle & Thread twice, buffing its damage spread from 0-4 to 2-4. personal quest complete!

cycle 20

as with cycle 10, the chests are refilled. players might have a sense, now, that this will happen every 10th cycle

grape tylenol arrives on F1, met by two Scrapers. she's just one tile away from Albatross, now, on F2, with Deep Vein Thrombosis right behind

Deep Vein Thrombosis search H1 to confirm the key and ThatOneSpork are still there. they've been talking about cutting ThatOneSpork off when (if) they leave with the key, and now Albatross is corralled up here, too. presumably feeling that isn't about to change any time soon, they resolve to double back for the treasure on their previous tile, D2

Albatross rings her bell and can see she has players in three directions—North West, North East, and South West. that's not as bad as it sounds, though, because she knows one of them is grape tylenol. this time with her Search Lens she scouts for grape tylenol, not for herself, and finds the much more appealing pool on E1:

grape tylenol heads toward it, and Albatross doubles back, too, i think imagining that she will juke Deep Vein Thrombosis in the event they carry on South East to chase her

ThatOneSpork gives up on their key at H1, and carries on crawling the perimeter

xzern picks up the Static status on F3, just South West of Albatross

Troubadour1 is searching farther afield now, stepping onto the Toxic Thread on C3, but they're immune thanks to their armour

The Math Professors step onto F6; while Mathy is thawed out from Frozen, phoopes is afflicted by Burned

to their North West, BIG ASHLEY runs into a Flame Troll on E6, and resolves to keep running. the troll rolls max damage, however, and also sticks BIG ASHLEY with a burn
oh for FUCks sake
CryoGyro rests up on E4 after their close shave with goon squad, who still lie in wait on e5...

cycle 21

Deep Vein Thrombosis loot a Sticky Note at D2, which will come in handy later. it prevents the target from fleeing the encounter it is used in. they search G1 to find out how their Spambot ambush resolved—the Spambots are both still there, but grape tylenol is gone. in her place is ThatOneSpork, who flees the encounter

Albatross scans H1 to confirm the key hasn't been looted yet. it's a bit dicey but she'll rest here for a turn to let grape tylenol finally meet up with her

grape tylenol arrives at the healing pool on E1 and interacts with it, healing back up after scraping through the last two encounters. these pools fully restore HP as well as status to OK, with a cooldown period after for them to restore that power. these might have made sense as locations to Bookmark and/or Hyperlink to or from, but perhaps owing to their location out on the perimeter, they ultimately didn't see much use

xzern discovers a Sticky Note of their own in a treasure chest, at E3, and adds it to their growing arsenal of tools

Brambane starts working their way down column H, running into (and then from) a clutch of Daemons

BIG ASHLEY falls into goon squad's ambush at E5
Let's turn BIG ASHLEY into BIG ASHES
the strength of their combined attacks plus the nasty Burned status is too much:
It's another direct hit. You stagger a few more steps before collapsing.

Everything seems to spin and blur around you, passing in a flash and slowly at the same time—the masked figures, the key, Lady Salamence, the H5 statue. You are both still and falling, and for a brief moment you can see everything, nowhere: posts, likes, even the Posting Points themselves. There is a sensation like a would-be obvious discovery, a light coming on—of course! The meaning of it all...

But it is just too late to grasp it, the message of a dream moments after waking, the truth in the corner of your eye.

And then everything fades.

You have been defeated.
giggling thinking about how devious we are. i wonder if anyone else is killing in this game
goon squad are now in a pretty strong position; they have a wealth of Likes, their pick of a handful of other players' items, and they're posted up in a location other players with the default win condition will need to visit. perhaps most importantly, they now have a Mysterious Key, looted from BIG ASHLEY's corpse. for now it is just a curious trinket to them

The Math Professors arrive at F5, and loot the Spam Mail

cycle 22

Deep Vein Thrombosis and Albatross and grape tylenol finally all run into one another on the same tile, E2. there's some confusion, though, about if Albatross and grape tylenol's alliance is secret, and the subterfuged is fumbled somewhat. there are too many people on one tile to merge parties, so Deep Vein Thrombosis are fishing for one of them to join up. Albatross and grape tylenol have already agreed to team up, but don't want this to be immediately obvious. it's pretty anti-climactic; everyone agrees to go home to their families... for now

CryoGyro runs in to Mathy and phoopes and a clutch of Daemons. there's a brief glimmer of hope, here, as they all seem to come to the unexpressed agreement that dealing with the Daemons comes first, and dispatch each of them, a team effort, in a single round of combat
[Talk] about time i saw someone else, what have you found
this might have been an opportunity for The Math Professors to gain their third party member; i get the impression that CryoGyro would have gladly joined up, and they could have shared a lot of intel. but Mathy had other ideas:
It's time to take him out
[Attack]
Attack attack
CryoGyro is forced to flee

xzern and Troubadour1 just miss one another, crossing at D3—E3

ThatOneSpork comes across a treasure chest at G2, but the posts give him pause

BEWARE MIMIC REAL
mimic deez nuts
It's a trap!

he opts to rest up before attempting to loot it since he's so low on health

goon squad realise they have the powerful Search Lens:
[Search] - Choose another location to view (ie, "G5")
Huh? Is that a thing we can do?
(you got it off chimp wayyyy back in cycle 9, and youve had that power ever since! not sure you've ever used it)
Lol I completely forgot about that
you grow numb to the death
and opt to use their Mysterious Key looted from BIG ASHLEY on the lock where they are on E5. they're flying blind, though, without knowledge of the wider puzzle or what the key inscriptions refer to—they denote the lock each key is for, and they aren't in the right place

There is a flash of red from the cube, and suddenly a clutch of Daemons is crawling out from around it, squabbling and jabbering and pointing their little bidents at you!
the Daemons are no match for them, but they send the message loud and clear that fumbling around with keys and locks is not the way to go. they opt to combine uses of their Alert Bell and Search Lens to ping for any sign of nearby players, and then take a look at any finds, and they hit the motherlode:
You ring the Alert Bell...

North WestNorthNorth East
Westgoon squadPing!
South WestSouthSouth East

You peer into the Search Lens...

This is F4.

CryoGyro, Mathy, and phoopes are here. There is a clutch of Daemons here.

It looks like they are fighting!
i'm not sure if what came next was intentional or an error, but in response to this information they discuss getting the drop on CryoGyro, who they know to already be weak, and then head North East (away from them) instead of North West

either way, goon squad leave the incriminating corpse of BIG ASHLEY behind and move on in search of more targets

cycle 23
Deep Vein Thrombosis carry on beelining South East with a view to catch ThatOneSpork. they search H1 again and discover he didn't manage to leave with the key after all; it's still there

goon squad run into Troubadour1, on E4:
Attack Check1Two
Troubadour1 pleads with them to stop:
[Talk] ayy woah woah chill out :(
... but goon squad carry on until it is done. this is the fourth player they have slain

the very turn Troubadour1 is slain, xzern arrives at D4. reading the following post, they resolve to wait:

Hey if I'm not here I'll be back in a sec

... but Troubadour1 will never return

CryoGyro arrives at G4 having fled combat, but The Math Professors got lucky guessing the direction to give chase in, and they're right after him. Brambane has also opted to veer in from the perimeter and come here. both players will flee from attacks, here, and the moderator-aligned players split their damage, but Mathy had a pretty interesting rationale for not attempting to focus down CryoGyro:
Do you want me to keep beating on CG or team up on Brambane?
Whomever you want, I just want to see if Bramb has any armor

Albatross and grape tylenol are finally able to form a proper, formal party, the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses. they head down to E3, ostensibly to meet up with BIG ASHLEY, who has decided to not reveal that they have died—and asked me to do the same. i'm not sure what the function of this gambit was, or where it interfaces with deadtalking rules... but perhaps it is funny? they scan E4, their destination:
ashelyDeluxe girlhandles Albatross's bell. It lets out a flat, unimpressed ring:

Ping!YouPing!
Ping!SouthSouth East

Then she peers into the Search Lens. The glass shifts and fogs...

This is E4.

There is a strange device here...

Check1Two is here. There are two masked figures in red robes here.
lol check is gonna get fucked
cycle 24

Deep Vein Thrombosis come across ThatOneSpork resting at the chest, talk, decide whether to recruit or kill. Drifting is pretty keen on killing spork and moving on, but voltage (perhaps rightly) suggests inviting him to team up. three-man parties are very powerful, and with ThatOneSpork on the team, this is the game's first. with that resolved, the party are able to loot the treasure chest, to discover the Message of Mending, a very handy trinket that will allow them to designate a party member as a healer. all the more reason to have three people on board

the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses cross paths with goon squad and discover the corpse of Troubadour1 at E4, and decide to try their hands at combat. grape tylenol decides to name them John and Olgilvie, since they are only presented as "Masked Figure #" to players outwith their party. Albatross is left very low, so they resolve to flee, but before they can :
As you turn to flee, Olgilvie does something rather strange: they stow their weapon.

Instead, they produce a Quote Bubble, and hold it aloft.

A second, ghostly Albatross appears:
Albatross is first to strike, launching herself at Olgilvie with a slash of her Scraper Knife!

Scraper Knife
1d2-3 = 3 - 1 (Defence bonus) = 2
... But instead of attacking Olgilvie, this Albatross attacks the first!

Before things can get any more horrifying, you escape.
Albatross is left with just 1 HP

xzern gives up on waiting for Troubadour1 at D4 and moves over to E4

i waited 2 turns for your ass

he'll pass goon squad as he does

Brambane arrives at the Editor and decides to rest up

The Math Professors loot G4 for the Hot Pepper trinket, which grants an Attack Bonus and the chance for attacks to inflict the Burned status. both of their quarries have evaded them

cycle 25

the Ghostlight Girlkeep Gatebosses finally discover BIG ASHLEY's corpse, and are gutted not only that she is dead, but that her key is gone. they ring the Alert Bell and discover that xzern is on E4. conscious that he might have the key (and that they are now a party member down), they ponder inviting him in. they are once again in a precarious position, and the will need to stay put to heal Albatross, who is still clinging to life with 1 HP

the goon squad carry on prowling for targets, narrowly missing xzern as they pass one another

The Math Professors catch up with Brambane, but the Editor forbids combat. Mathy takes the opportunity to upgrade both he and phoopes' weapons, and cures the latter's Burned status, for a total of 20 Likes. we could all use a friend like Mathy

CryoGyro discovers monkfish's corpse, but it has already been looted by xzern. they will continue roaming on the outskirts of the game, now

Deep Vein Thrombosis arrive at H2. they are just one move from claiming a second key

cycle 26
Brambane returns to G4, the scene of their earlier skirmish, only to find the chest there has already been looted

xzern arrives on E5 with the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses, and is formally inducted into their order. they share information, and they're now shored up pretty nicely with a mix of items. xzern's upgraded weapon in particular draws attention, and he reveals the existence of the Editor, on G3

The Math Professors arrive at G2, and ring their Alert Bell, which shows one party to their East

that party is Deep Vein Thrombosis, who have finally arrived at H1. Drifting enters the password, while Voltage explains how they determined this to ThatOneSpork. ThatOneSpork has taken up the mantle of team healer, and heals Drifting with their Message of Mending
Drifting steps up to the terminal to enter the phrase "hehehe"...

There's a delay, a few soft bloops, and then the quiet hum of something whirring up...

Before you know it, the key you had seen suspended in the tube disappears. In the same moment, Drifting is conscious that they now hold two mysterious keys!

You gained an item:

[Mysterious Key]
It bears an inscription:
"ST-TDC"
with the last key on the board claimed, change is coming. while Deep Vein Thrombosis ponder their next move, the fog around the key inscriptions and their significance seems to clear:
that sounds like a lot of work hmmmmm...

anyway I think this is referring to the Smogon Tour subforum (or Spanish Translations but i doubt we're getting toddy en espanol).

Let me look through to see what I can find
ohhhh TDC could be Trou Du Cul also... very interesting toddey...
wait, for B101-FDL, FDL is Firebot Development Lab, another closed forum like Trou Du Cul... I may be cooking Voltage
You're absolutely cooking hold up
Well ok I've figured out what the words mean but how does that even help

Battling 101 - Firebot Development Lab

Smogon Tour - Trou Du Cul
do you think it has something to do with the ID of each of the forums?

B101 (42)

FDL (38)

ST (49)

TDC (46)
oh shit hold up
If there's a way to convert the pairs on the keys from these letters to a coordinate square, then I think we're golden
Since it looks like none of us have actually been in the center and we've all gone along the perimeter or one in, let's start making our way towards E4, I think E4, E5, D4, and D5 all have the blocks. I confirmed E5 has one, so I'll [SCAN] D4 to see if this pattern holds and it is the middle ones, and ThatOneSpork should scan either E4 or D5

This is D4.

There is a strange device here.
Holy shit I just figured it out while playing smash.

The "-" on the keys isn't a hyphen; it's a minus

B101-FDL = 42 - 38 = 4

ST-TDC = 49 - 46 = 3

This means we have keys 3 and 4, and the ones we need will be 1 and 2. We have to put each key in the associated slot.

Do NOT tell anyone this information, this is a gamechanger
next time: the game is changed

Last edited:

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Albatross and grape tylenol are finally able to form a proper, formal party, the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses. they head down to E3, ostensibly to meet up with BIG ASHLEY, who has decided to not reveal that they have died—and asked me to do the same. i'm not sure what the function of this gambit was, or where it interfaces with deadtalking rules... but perhaps it is funny? they scan E4, their destination:
this is the funniest play i think i've seen so far rofl

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
this is the funniest play i think i've seen so far rofl
it would've worked a lot better and been a lot funnier if we hadn't been a few squares apart and about to meet up lmao. not entirely sure what i was thinking, tbh?

also, re: keys: i had the one with FDL written on it, and while we'd kind of figured out what the other initialisms were it took me a bit longer to figure that one out. felt pretty stupid that night, i tell you...! not sure i would ever have figured out the number correspondence, let alone the subtraction.

Last edited:

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Couple notes from this update from my end I'd like to add.

Seeing how Drifting was rightfully marching towards an end goal, and not knowing if it was actually legitimately possible for a party to win, or if todd was gonna pull a "there can only be one", when we happened upon Spork, I had to do everything in my power to not let Drifting just kill spork. It was always in the back of my mind that, until we were three, Drifting might just turn on me and claim the win for as a solo, or that in the event that to a teammate vs. teammate situation and it was me vs. him, we would have the upper hand with the redirect. Once we got spork in the party, I felt MUUUUUCH more comfortable. There's of course, also the fact that if the max party size was three, we would be best off together since that way we'd be able to hold more items, have more turns in PvP encounters, and perhaps distribute the roles of our party a bit more evenly. After finding the healing item in the chest, we designated spork as a healer, and were WAYYY better off as a party which really was validating for me lolololol

Couple notes from this update from my end I'd like to add.

Seeing how Drifting was rightfully marching towards an end goal, and not knowing if it was actually legitimately possible for a party to win, or if todd was gonna pull a "there can only be one", when we happened upon Spork, I had to do everything in my power to not let Drifting just kill spork. It was always in the back of my mind that, until we were three, Drifting might just turn on me and claim the win for as a solo, or that in the event that to a teammate vs. teammate situation and it was me vs. him, we would have the upper hand with the redirect. Once we got spork in the party, I felt MUUUUUCH more comfortable. There's of course, also the fact that if the max party size was three, we would be best off together since that way we'd be able to hold more items, have more turns in PvP encounters, and perhaps distribute the roles of our party a bit more evenly. After finding the healing item in the chest, we designated spork as a healer, and were WAYYY better off as a party which really was validating for me lolololol
I was absolutely expecting something like this as well, and was debating if I should just try and stab you guys in the back early on so that I could get outta the possible deathtrap with at least 1 new item, if not more from fighting. Definitely glad I didn't choose to do that, woulda been one hell of a mistake. Also, the fact that BIG ASHLEY died much earlier than I thought makes the attempted bamboozling later even funnier to me.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
late game (cycles 27-32)
players trigger a race to the finish. two rival teams establish themselves firmly as the frontrunners, and there's a bloodbath on E4

cycle 27

the administrators have arrived

threads have been bumped
the claiming of the final key triggers the spawning of four Administrators, one for each chamber. it isn't clear to players what their function is, but the ominous announcement seems to get the idea across—better run

the newly-formed Deep Vein Thrombosis move down to H2, and take the opportunity to scan the corner they just left with their Search Lens, curious about the Administrators:

Voltage peers into the Search Lens...

This is H1.

The terminal and container are here. An administrator is here.
holy fuck
jesus christ
the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses pass goon squad as they cross back from E5 to E4, having finally come to terms with the loss of BIG ASHLEY. the ringing of Albatross's bell shows both goon squad and Brambane nearby

goon squad are frustrated to be continually evaded, and ring their own bell to detect hapless posters. with a hit, they search the source...

This is E4.

The strange device is here.

Albatross, ashelyDeluxe, and xzern are here.

What remains of Check1Two is here.
Head Nor'easter'ly
the math professors receive a curious message:

You have arrived at F2.

There is a pool of water here. You cannot see the bottom.

As you arrive here, there is the crackling of static from each of your Moderator Badges, so that when the familiar voice of the swordsman comes through, it is in stereo:

"Hmm... Looks like there's no helping it—all four keys to the Posting Points have been looted by posters.

"They'll be taking them to the centre, now.

"We'll have to stop them. Good luck, hrm?"
with that, they check their surroundings for nearby players. with no-one adjacent to them, they dutifully do The Last Moderator's bidding, and begin traveling to the centre of the map.

Brambane arrives at F4 and runs into a Troll. they chance fighting for a spell, but eventually resolve to flee—though not without taking a couple of nasty hits to drop them to just 5 HP

cycle 28

Deep Vein Thrombosis run afoul of a clutch of Daemons—or more accurately, a clutch of Daemons run afoul of them, as they are dispatched in a single round. they scan ahead to D5 to make sure no-one is opening locks before them, and then head North-West

CryoGyro comes across the masked figure at F7, but pays them no mind. they look over chimp's corpse (already thoroughly looted), and then carry on their way

the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses discover the troll Brambane already took a swing at, and put it down with ease:

You draw your weapons as the Troll approaches, and ashelyDeluxe raises aloft the Redirect Page

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 3

... It's all unnecessary, however, as xzern springs into action first, and strikes the troll straight through the heart with a lightning-fast throw of their needle.

The troll falls down dead on the spot.

You each gained 2 Likes!
a ring of Albatross's bell shows two other posters (or parties) nearby, but a scan of their intended destination reveals it is clear—they are beelining now for the Editor at xzern's recommendation, and avoiding confrontation until they can power up is paramount, especially with Albatross still clinging to life with only 2 HP

the Math Professors arrive at F2, and phoopes picks up the Static status. eager to each the centre, they ring their bell and search the lock squares:

You ring the Alert Bell...

Ping!YouEast
Ping!SouthSouth East

After ringing the bell, you peer into the Search Lens...

This is E4.

There is a strange device here. What remains of Check1Two is here.

Brambane is here. There are two masked figures in red robes here. It looks like they are fighting!
already in bad shape, Brambane discovers a corpse, and the cause—goon squad are here. wisely, Brambane choose to flee:

As you turn to flee, both masked figures sweep their cloaks aside and draw their weapons.

Masked Figure 1 is first, whirling their needle about on its thread, and then launching it at you!

Needle & Thread
1d0-4 = 4

It's a devastating blow that sends you sprawling!

Before you can regain your feet, Masked Figure 2 similarly lets fly with a whirr and a rattle of their needle's spool!

Needle & Thread
1d0-4 = 3

The blow floors you. You try to struggle to your feet, but everything fades. The last thing you see is the pair of ominous figures stood over you, the masks on their faces impassive...

You have been defeated!
and with that, another poster falls

goon squad share their bounty of 23 Likes, and loot a vial of Blue Ink, and the elusive Hyper Quill. it's a pretty productive hunt

they ring their bell and search one of the locations it pings, revealing the Math Professors at F3, unawares they were spying on them only moments earlier. they resolve to move that way, in search of more kills

cycle 29

Deep Vein Thrombosis arrive at the Editor's workshop, and set about upgrading their weapons and reshuffling their gear to optimise the party build. they also walk away with a brand new Hyper Quill, and a healthy stock of three vials of Blue Ink. this just about cleans them out of Likes, but will prove to be a worthwhile investment. after finishing up at the Editor, they scan F3, and determine they don't like the look of the Static-afflicted flora, opting to path South-West instead

CryoGyro arrives at E7 and loots the chest there to also claim a vial of Blue Ink, although they have no Hyper Quill with which to use it

just one tile away, the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses arrive at G4, also headed for the Editor. they also have goon squad hot on their heels

as of looting Brambane, earl becomes the first poster to break 100 Likes. wow!! goon squad are thoroughly stocked up, and confidently prowling for more posters to kill. ringing their bell, they ping a few tiles, and opt to search G3, turning up both Deep Vein Thrombosis there and the existence of the Editor's shop, previously unknown to them. they head straight for it, with the three major parties all within a tile of one another

cycle 30

Deep Vein Thrombosis pass the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses as they leave the Editor, and collide with goon squad, at last. the unlooted treasure chest might otherwise do for a motivator to fight over, but both teams are in confident positions, and this showdown was inevitable—Deep Vein Thrombosis have a confident understanding of the game, a solid, well-rounded party build, and a good number of cards in their hand re: the endgame with two keys already in their possession

meanwhile, goon squad are outnumbered, and less well-geared, but with a long list of player kills to their name, and only a few more standing between them and meeting their win condition. whatever the outcome here will result in a huge shift in power. neither side will back down

... not least of all because Deep Vein Thrombosis, like many players before them, imagine the Masked Figures to be non-player enemies!
it's weird that the text says "include your message though", could these be enemy players in some sort of disguise?
Speed tie:
Voltage: 1d6 = 6
Blizihguh: 1d6 = 5
earl: 1d6 = 2

... ThatOneSpork pipes up, as Drifting cautiously prepares their Redirect Page.

In response, you draw your weapons!

Voltage is first off the mark, whirling their needle about by it's thread before hurling it at earl!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 2 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 1

Armour dampens the blow, but Voltage is not to be deterred; they somehow attack earl again!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2

This time the impact is a little more convincing.

Perhaps in retaliation for their ally, Blizihguh steps up and hurls a needle of their own at ThatOneSpork! But Drifting's Redirect Page held aloft sends the attack against earl, against their will!

Needle & Thread
1d0-4 = 4 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 3

earl takes a devastating blow, this time. Then they launch their own needle, finally, this one also directed at ThatOneSpork!

Needle & Thread
1d0-4 = 2 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 1

Again the strength of the blow is sapped by armour.
Speed tie:
ThatOneSpork: 1d6 = 1
Voltage: 1d6 = 4
Blizihguh: 1d6 = 2
earl: 1d6 = 3

Drifting once again raises their Redirect Page.

Flanking them is Voltage, who launches, recalls, and launches again their needle at earl!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 4 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 3

Under the unrelenting barrage, earl falls to their knees, and falls down, defeated.

Blizihguh steps up and lobs their own needle again, this time at Drifting... But Drifting redirects the attack, right back at them.

Needle & Thread
1d0-4 = 4 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 3

Finally, ThatOneSpork steps in, brandishing their Pushpin at Blizihguh!

Shimmering Pushpin
3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2
Speed tie:
Voltage: 1d6 = 1
ThatOneSpork: 1d6 = 4

ThatOneSpork strikes again with a thrust of their Pushpin!

Shimmering Pushpin
3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2

... But before you can be subject to any more punishment, you flee.
with earl down, and Blizihguh having turned tail, the goon squad party is broken, if not destroyed

Deep Vein Thrombosis loot earl (or Masked Figure 2, as they are known to them) for a whopping 105 Likes, and their pick from a plethora of items, not least of which is one of the missing keys:

Equipment
[Needle & Thread] (0-4 dmg)
"Sharp enough to pierce, with enough thread to bring it back to you."

[Quote Bubble]
Confers the Quote ability in combat.
"The same joke, just louder."

Inventory
[Hyper Quill]
Allows the inscription of hyperlink posts, to link two threads together. Requires Blue Ink.
"'The Hyper Quill is mightier than the Quill.' - Unknown..."

[Rusty Thumbtacks] - (0-2 dmg, twice)
"They held something in place, once."

[Firewall]
Blocks all incoming status effects. +1 Defence Bonus
"Get out, stay out."

[Mysterious Key]
It bears an inscription:
"FDL-IS"

[Trojan Egg]
Choose a location (eg "G5") to plant the egg. On the next cycle, a Spambot will appear there. Destroyed on use.
"Not sure horses come from eggs..."

[Ring of Refreshing]
Restores 1 HP at the end of each cycle.
"Spamming it doesn't appear to do anything."

They are also wearing, of course, a mask and red robes, but for some reason no matter what you try, you cannot remove them. Curious.
with three out of the four keys in their possession, this battle was a huge boon to Deep Vein Thrombosis, making them the clear frontrunners. they then peer into their Search Lens, revealing arguably the last remaining threat to them: the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses, just a stone's throw away at the Editor:

the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses upgrade their weapons, pay to have Albatross healed to full, and pick up a Hyper Quill for themselves, too. with a ring of the Alert Bell showing them the parties group on G4, they scan it to see the masked figures fighting Deep Vein Thrombosis, and opt to stay put for now

with a second Search Lens in Deep Vein Thrombosis's possession they are also able to scan F4 and discover three Spambots:

uhhhhhhh, how about no
this party may be powerful, but this late in the game the dangers out in the world have ramped up, too. with both Hyper Quills and Blue Ink at their disposal, Deep Vein Thrombosis elect to create the game's first ever Hyperlink:

Voltage produces their Hyper Quill and one of their vials of Blue Ink with a clink of glass.

They set to work inscribing a special kind of post, the whole contents of which are a link to E4. When it is complete, the text glows a promising blue.

E4

One of your Blue Inks was consumed.

Touching the link transports you to your destination...
my dumbass tried to click it
quite separate from all of the chaos, the Math Professors finally arrive at the centre tile of E4. the lock is intact, but it is an eerie sight:

they breathe a sigh of relief that all is not yet lost, and opt to double back to E3—since it is a tenth cycle, the chest there is replenished

cycle 31

as if on cue, Deep Vein Thrombosis warp in from their hyperlink, the creation of which is broadcast to the rest of the game:

a poster has fallen

a link has been formed

threads have been bumped
they look over goon squad's handiwork, but it is obvious the bodies have been picked clean, so they turn their attention to the locks

[Investigate]
You take a closer look at the contraption...

It appears to be very clearly unnatural. The cube's four vertical faces are each embossed with two vertical strips, and on its top is an aperture reminiscent of a keyhole.
Ah I see, this is for Key 2, and D5 is for Key 3. Key 2 happens to be the one we're missing anyway so we couldn't try it if we even wanted to.

Well we have two search lenses, where do you wanna check?
they resolve to check G4 first:

This is G4.

There is a treasure chest here, but it is empty.

There is a Spambot here. There is an Administrator here. earl is here.
nightmare blunt rotation
poor earl
poor earl indeed.

hold on a second, earl???

Pain, heat, dark, cold.

There is a sensation like everything ending, but you are sure that it begins, again, as though no time at all has passed.

Is that a voice? No, music...? You are briefly lulled into something like a dream, and then a terrible presence jolts you awake.

It is Cycle 31.

You are still at G4.

Your body is your own, once again. Looking around you, you can see that the fight is over, that Blizihguh is gone, and that your [Mask of Alt] has shattered. In fact, you are sure that everything has been taken from you—your weapon, your trinket, your items, every one of your Likes. But then you discover your trusty Rusty Thumbtacks.

There is no more time than that to contemplate matters, however:

There is a treasure chest here, but it is empty.

A glowing orb left here on the ground throbs and hums until a Spambot stands before you. And most terrible of all, there is an Administrator here.

It would be best to run.

There are posts here:

ugh. another "woke" tile. when will they start making tiles for men?
what does that even mean
slugma

Then, you notice something else: a different kind of post:

E4

Its text thrums with power.

You received 3 Likes from your posts.

Actions
[Attack] - Engage in combat. (Will equip your Rusty Thumbtacks)
OR
End cycle
[Flee] - Choose a direction in which to travel: NW, NE, SW, SE. You may be subject to an attack!
OR
[Travel] - Touch a link and travel to a new location: E4.

Please select your action(s).
I will travel
also wow this is definitely the revive of all time
revived by their Mask of Alt, earl is risen, and straight into hell. it is a small blessing that Deep Vein Thrombosis turned their noses up at his simple weapons, and an even greater blessing that they chose to create their hyperlink, at the site of his death—traveling via hyperlink, unlike fleeing, does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and so allows earl to escape the wrath of both the Administrator and the Spambot. with perhaps no other meaningful choice, earl touches the link, and enters into the unknown...

I am 100% sure Earl is coming here, and where we are is presumably the safest from Admins. We should Rest to take care of him asap
like, idk about you but if i'm on a square with the grim fucking reaper (and spambot buddy) i'm pressing the gtfo button given to me
fair assessment, but are you concerned by the fact that the admin could also get here at the same pace? Unlike you expect to have him hyperlink. I guess your logic holds since we know where the other three keys are, but we might be resting here for a while if we think earl has the last key.

edit: wait do we know if earl can fast travel?
One other minor thought, do you think the fallen characters get reborn as the hooded figures like the ones we took down and looted? That was my hypothesis but I don't have a great way to prove that beyond the fact that we dead party of two near a key block and we killed two red figures with a key
Definitely an interesting thought, have you guys encountered anyone other than me and yourselves?
that is also my current assumption voltage
Cool, so we should be wary that if we kill earl we might not be able to loot the body immediately
this exchange between Deep Vein Thrombosis was a ton of fun because they are so close to the truth on the masked figures, but with mostly inverted, and having ironically already looted earl. reading player analyses of the game was really, really fun, and Drifting, Voltage, and ThatOneSpork had a lot of these moments

perhaps inspired by the creation of Deep Vein Thrombosis's link, the Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses confer and resolve to purchase three vials of Blue Ink of their own:

After leaving her post, ashelyDeluxe produces her Hyper Quill and one of the vials of Blue Ink with a clink of glass.

She sets to work inscribing a special kind of post, the whole contents of which are a link to C4. When it is complete, the text glows a promising blue.

C4

One of your Blue Inks was consumed.

Touching the link transports you to your destination...

now alone, Blizihguh has the misfortune to run into an Administrator—or rather the Administrator runs into him. you see, each Administrator is bound to pursue the key it is responsible for, and with three of those keys with the Deep Vein Thrombosis party, they are bound to converge on one spot. i don't think earl and Blizihguh were communicating outside of the game, so what follows is a pretty desperate struggle for the pair to stay alive while searching for one another. perhaps fitting, following their villainous arc...?

the Math Professors loot the chest they travelled to at E3 for a Blue Ink, and then search E4. they don't like what they find:

This is E4.

There is a strange contraption here.

Drifting, Voltage, and ThatOneSpork are here.

The remains of Brambane and Check1Two are here.
we're screwed...

[Move] SW and hope for the best
it is a race against time, now, for the moderators

You have arrived at D6.

There is a treasure chest here.

There are posts here:

look closely at the chest - things are not quite as they appear..!
the hell do you mean LMAO free armor
The armor is free for a reason :o
CryoGyro refuses to be bullied out of treasure by superstition, and loots the chest for the Cloak of Proxy, a piece of armour that hides the wearer during scans via the Search Lens on their location

cycle 32

wandering perhaps aimlessly, CryoGyro stumbles into the cold tile at C6, and gains the Frozen status

after warping through their hyperlink, Ghostlight Gatekeep Girlbosses arrive at C4, home to some of Albatross's early game art. ah, memories!

You have arrived at C4.

There is a treasure chest here.

There are posts here:

If you are cool come meet me at D4

Albatross received 2 Likes from their posts.

xzern received 1 Like from their posts.
they loot the chest for a Reply Button, and then search another treasure tile, B5:

the gameplan seems to be to zip around the map with the Blue Ink and snag all of the treasure available, and it isn't a bad one at all. with B5 so close, however, for now they resolve to travel the old fashioned way via B4

Oh come on, where's my dude ;_; I guess back at the tree?

Flee NE, I just wanna get to somewhere that I can search and potentially link from orz
Blizihguh continues searching in vain for earl

elsewhere, all hell breaks loose

You are still at E4.

The strange lock is here.

The remains of Brambane and Check1Two are here.

earl, Mathy, and phoopes are here.
Deep Vein Thrombosis' plan to stay put pays off, as a hapless earl steps out of the frying pan and into the fire, and moderator-aligned Math Professors hustle straight back into an ambush

what follows is an absolute bloodbath:

Speed tie:
Drifting: 1d6 = 2
Voltage: 1d6 = 5
ThatOneSpork: 1d6 = 1
Mathy: 1d6 = 4
phoopes: 1d6 = 6

guys i’m literally broke and naked and just a little guy
earl's cry falls on deaf ears, as everyone else draws their weapons!

phoopes is first to strike, darting for ThatOneSpork and lunging with their pushpin!

Reinforced Pushpin
1d2-3 = 3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2

As the strike connects, there is a flash of electricity...!

BZZZZRRPTTT!

... Both phoopes and ThatOneSpork took 2 additional damage!

Then, phoopes strikes a second time!

Reinforced Pushpin
1d2-3 = 3 - 1 (Defence Bonus) = 2

It's another powerful blow, although this time there is no discharging of energy.

Voltage launches into the melee, instead targeting Mathy.

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 3 - 2 (Defence Bonus) = 1

Mathy's formidable armour keeps them protected from the worst of it, but Voltage, too, attacks a second time!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 4 - 2 (Defence Bonus) = 2

They must have felt that one, even through their armour.

In retaliation, Mathy brandishes their tagger at ThatOneSpork!

Empowered Tagger
3 - 1 (Defence Bonus = 2

A magical spark hurtles from the tip of the wand-like weapon to zap ThatOneSpork.

Now Drifting wades in, whirling a great knife around before slashing it at Mathy!

Scraper Knife
1d2-3 = 3 - 2 (Defence Bonus) = 1

Another fearsome blow, largely neutered by effective armour.

Finally, ThatOneSpork joins in to trade blows, charging Mathy with their pushpin!

Shimmering Pushpin
3 - 2 (Defence Bonus) = 1
Speed tie:
phoopes: 1d6 = 1
Voltage: 1d6 = 3
ThatOneSpork: 1d6 = 2

I am putting my hands up in the air
wait are you guys mods too?
Drifting produces their Redirect Page, and points it at Mathy... But nothing happens.

Then Voltage is rounding on phoopes, whirling their needle about by its thread, and letting fly!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 4

It's a devastating skewering, and for one reason or another phoopes seems like they are unprotected.

Not only that, but Voltage strikes again, reeling their needle back in and launching it at phoopes again!

Refined Needle & Thread
1d2-4 = 3

phoopes staggers, their own weapon at the ready, and then falls down, defeated.

With phoopes already downed, ThatOneSpork turns their pushpin on Mathy!

Shimmering Pushpin
3 - 2 (Defence Bonus) = 1

The precise thrusting of the blade is dampened by Mathy's formidable armour.
what does he means "mods"
If I had to guess, maybe “mods” are players that somehow work for the admins? I guess
erm what the smog???
Mathy wisely makes ready to flee, but Drifting has other ideas...

Drifting catches Mathy with a Sticky Note: they can no longer flee!

For good measure, Voltage holds up their Redirect Page pointed at Mathy, although it has no effect.

In the meantime, ThatOneSpork meditates on their Message of Mending, and restores 2 HP to themselves.
az said:
holy crap
well i hope yall are mods like me because im screwed otherwise
So Mathy... I have some questions. First of all (and most importantly), what's this "mod" you speak of? Secondly, do you know where any keys are? Lastly, have ya found anything interesting on the map and where might we find those interesting things?
Voltage produces their Quote Bubble:
... but instead of Mathy, it is earl that is the target. earl can no longer flee!

Drifting holds up their Redirect Page at Mathy, but to no effect.
holy crap
well i hope yall are mods like me because im screwed otherwise
So Mathy... I have some questions. First of all (and most importantly), what's this "mod" you speak of? Secondly, do you know where any keys are? Lastly, have ya found anything interesting on the map and where might we find those interesting things?
Voltage produces their Quote Bubble:
... but instead of Mathy, it is earl that is the target. earl can no longer flee!

earl, Mathy, and ThatOneSpork talk amongst themselves...
Evidently, the time for diplomacy is ended.

Drifting presents their Redirect Page and aims it at Mathy, but nothing happens.

Voltage produces their Quote Bubble, and a tear in reality appears:
... But instead of Mathy, it is earl that is redirected, but to no effect.

ThatOneSpork meditates on their Message of Mending, and restores 2 HP.

... With both earl and Mathy caught in this pattern of redirects and time looping on itself, it begins to lose meaning. Both are helpless to affect the plans of their opponents. Talk or fight, it is inevitable, now, that they will be defeated.

They are both held in stasis like this for what could be a single round of combat, or several, until ThatOneSpork is fully healed, and eventually they are both finished off.

When it is done, earl and Mathy lie defeated.
who knows what earl's plan was, here, but whatever game he was playing it didn't end well for him. without the protection of his Mask of Alt, he is gone for good, this time, and so too are moderators

also [post] "Phive here: don't believe anyone who claims to be a mod, they're lying for longevity."
after leaving some anti-moderator propaganda, Deep Vein Thrombosis pick through the items of the now-mounting pile of corpses here at E4

You go over each of the corpses...

You share 44 Likes!

earl

[Rusty Thumbtacks] - (0-2 dmg, twice) - Weapon
"They held something in place, once."

Mathy
[Empowered Tagger] (3 dmg) - Weapon
"The swirl at its centre thrums with energy."

[Firewall] - Armour
Blocks all incoming status effects. +1 Defence Bonus.
"Get out, stay out."

[Moderator Badge] - Trinket
Signifies the holder as moderator-aligned. There is a latent power within it. +1 Defence Bonus.
"Service with a smite."

[Feather Quill] - Item
Allows the user to [Post].
"Never seems to run dry."

[Search Lens] - Item
Allows the user to [Search] a location.
"Only lightly chipped."

[Bookmark] - Item
Allows the user to mark a location to return to once, at will. Destroyed on use.
"Right where you left off."

[Old Crest] - Armour
+1 Defence Bonus
"All that survives of the decorative design are two wings."

[Hot Pepper] - Trinket
Confers a chance for attacks to inflict Burn. +1 Attack bonus.
"Sprinkle for spicy takes and risky clicks."

phoopes
[Reinforced Pushpin] (2-3 dmg) - Weapon
"Its point promises a deadly thrust."

[Doubleposter's Doublet] - Armour
Allows the wearer to attack twice per turn. -1 Defence Bonus.
"Twice the posts, twice the infractions."

[Moderator Badge] - Trinket
Signifies the holder as moderator-aligned. There is a latent power within it. +1 Defence Bonus.
"Service with a smite."

[Hyper Quill] - Item
Allows the inscription of hyperlink posts, to link two threads together. Requires Blue Ink.
"'The Hyper Quill is mightier than the Quill.' - Unknown..."

[Bookmark] - Item
Allows the user to mark a location to return to once, at will. Destroyed on use.
"Right where you left off."

[Alert Bell] - Item
Allows the holder to [Ring] to detect players in adjacent tiles.
"It has a lonely sound."

[Spam Mail] - Armour
Afflicts attackers with the Poison status. +1 Defence Bonus.
"Geddit?"

[Blue Ink] - Item
Used with a Hyper Quill to inscribe links to other locations. Destroyed on use.
"The bottle says 'blue', but it keeps turning purple."

You have may to discard items to claim these.

All three of you use Bookmarks, two of them new, on the current spot. You can feel a bond to this area, and have each gained the [Return] action to come back to E4 at will.

You will discard the following items:

Old Crest
Scraper Knife
Deep Vein Thrombosis are now lousy with Likes, armed with an arsenal, and in great condition. for all of that, though, they still don't have the fourth and final key, and the one that corresponds to this lock

with nothing left for them here, they leave this mountain of bones behind

next time: the conclusion of smogoff rpg

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
this just reminded me of something

1695174759689.png

given what happened to ls but also how she tried to work with the ggg i wonder what plans ashely had for me...

edit: right she was trying to lead ls into an ambush. ashely thats not what you had in mind for me too was it...?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)