ORAS OU [Top 10] Easy (1859+)

an ORAS OU RMT

"I know it sounds funny,
but I just can't stand the pain..."

Introduction:

Hey everyone, I'm back with probably my last OU team. I've been playing this game for about two years now, and it's been full of hax and other stupid things; but I also had a pretty good time through everything. I thought it would be nice to leave with an RMT of my most recent successful team, so that's what I decided to do.

Anyway, I decided to run an offensive team that utilized a very underrated boosting core in the metagame: Sub SD Hawlucha + Sub CM Raikou.

These two on their own create great offensive synergy, by eliminating the other's checks. Not to mention that the pair both have access to an amazing speed tier, allowing them to beat out opposing boosting Pokemon.

With this team, I was able to reach 1800+ thrice on different alts. My highest peak being one battle over 1859, I can't remember anymore. Theoretically, I could reach a lot higher, but I think that rating is fine for an RMT. (No Johns)

Proof of Peak:
Before Hoopa was introduced in the meta.

After Hoopa was introduced in the meta. (Current)

Teambuilding Process:

As promised, I started off with Sub SD Hawlucha and Sub CM Raikou. I chose Hawlucha because it's a great clean-up sweeper. It's got the stats, moveset and ability for it. Raikou was there to sponge and dish out Electric STABs; and because it has a form of stat boost, it can also act as my second win-con.

It was time I chose the mega for my team. I quickly settled on Gardevoir, because it just demolishes anything that switches into it. Particularly, it beats Mega Sableye and Quagsire with ease. (Two Pokemon that my Hawlucha doesn't appreciate. Raikou doesn't like the latter either.)

I needed some sort of priority. It was a toss up between Bisharp and Scizor. I felt like my team would benefit more from the former because of the STAB Knock Off and the ability to pick off a weakened Mega Metagross. After which, I never bothered looking back at my decision.

Since Raikou wasn't AV, I needed something to take Special Attacks while also acting as a pivot. That's where Tornadus-T came from. It also added another cleaner once Mega Gardevoir weakens the opposing team.

Finally, I needed a bird check. Raikou isn't going to be taking a +1 Flare Blitz anytime soon. I also needed a Pokemon that could set up rocks to get some guaranteed KOs for Hawlucha. At some point, Landorus-T was considered, but I didn't want to be too Rotom-Wash weak if ever I sent it as a lead. Then I noticed a rise in the defensive Garchomp set usage. I decided to run it, so that I could beat other physical attackers through chip damage.

The Team:

Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
♦ Substitute
♦ Swords Dance
♦ High Jump Kick
♦ Acrobatics

"Why in the world would anybody put chains on me?
I've paid my dues to make it."
This Pokemon is such an underrated and under-prepared for threat in the current meta. With access to a great offensive typing and good STABs to abuse it, Hawlucha can steamroll through the opposing side after just one mistake.

HJK is your main STAB move, doing a decent amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, thanks to its 130 base power (not including STAB). It does come with a 10% miss chance, but if you used Focus Blast before, then you have no reason to hesitate with this move.

Acrobatics should only be used after the depletion of Sitrus Berry, or if you're facing a Breloom and you want to force it out. After the item loss, this move doubles power, leaving you with a 165 BP move (after factoring in STAB).

The set itself is easy to understand. Try to Swords Dance against a Pokemon that can't do much back, then use Substitute until you use the Sitrus Berry. 12 EVs in HP is pretty much standard in order to get a Sitrus Berry number (HP divisible by 4), 252 in Attack and the rest into Speed. (368 won't be out-speeding anything that 366 doesn't.)

Against more offensive teams, you don't even have to click Swords Dance; just sub up until you activate Unburden and proceed to destroy your opponents HO squad.

Against Balanced and Stall, you'll find several opportunities to set up when you force switches or predict a certain move.

There is a very obvious drawback with the use of Hawlucha, and it lies in the fact that he can only set-up once. After which, Unburden will be canceled out once switched. Hawlucha also won't be doing much damage without SD, due to his mediocre base 92 Attack. So you have to play smart with him.

Raikou @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
♦ Calm Mind
♦ Thunderbolt
♦ Hidden Power [Ice]
♦ Substitute

"Everybody wants me to be what they want me to be.
I'm not happy when I try to fake it."

Electric typing has always been one of the better offensive types in Pokemon. That's because it gets STAB on one half of the infamous BoltBeam combo. This Raikou aims to use its perfect neutral coverage in order to sweep with Calm Mind boosts.

I chose the CM set over Specs and AV, because I wanted something that could hold up in a CM war versus other Pokemon such as Sylveon, Magic Guard Clefable or Suicune if it needed to. This team wouldn't really miss the Volt Switch momentum anyway.

The set itself is very bread and butter. 252 EVs placed in both Sp. Attack and Speed; in order to maximize damage output, while speed tying with other base 115 Pokemon, such as Starmie.

Raikou fits in so well with this team, because it takes out Skarmory and other Flying-types which can be pests for Hawlucha.

Gardevoir-Mega (F) @ Gardevoirite

Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
♦ Hyper Voice
♦ Psyshock
♦ Focus Blast
♦ Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Substitute

"I wanna be high, so high.
I wanna be free to know the things I do are right."

Mega Gardevoir can handle stall all by herself. Of course that's a hyperbole, but she does a pretty impressive job. Nothing wants to switch into a neutral Hyper Voice, bar Chansey and Blissey; but they won't be able to do much when Gardevoir uses Taunt.

Gardevoir's goal on this team is to help pave the way for a Hawlucha or Raikou sweep by weakening the opponent, through her amazing STABs.

Apparently, this is the most optimal spread, with 24 EVs in defense to avoid the 2HKO from Latios' LO-boosted Psyshock. Max Speed is there to be able to get the guaranteed 2HKO on opposing Modest Nature Mega Gardevoirs, while avoiding the 2HKO herself.

The moves are self explanatory. Hyper Voice is a monster STAB move after Pixilate. Meanwhile, Psyshock acts as a good secondary STAB option reserved for Poison-types and Pokemon that resist the former move. Focus Blast is the best third move, being able to hit Ferrothorn and Heatran super-effectively, while also putting a dent on Scizor and Skarmory. The last move is up to personal preference. I found myself wanting each of these moves on different occasions, but the moves above are listed in most favorable to least. Taunt is there mainly to prevent the opposition from using status moves that could potentially heal their team or limit Gardevoir's usage. Will-O-Wisp is to weaken physical attackers. Substitute is there if you're the kind of player that's too scared to make a prediction.

Bisharp @ Life Orb

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, - SpA)
♦ Knock Off
♦ Swords Dance
♦ Iron Head
♦ Sucker Punch

"Yeah, I wanna be free, just me, oh, baby."
Knock Off is just an amazing move, and there's no Pokemon that abuses it better than Bisharp (arguably). A Dark STAB move coming from a base 125 Attack stat is no joke; couple that with an SD and an LO boost, and you've got yourself a demolition derby.

Anyway, Bisharp is just amazing in this meta. It can actually sweep teams, due to his STAB priority in Sucker Punch. Its secondary type is pretty helpful too, the ability to 2HKO fairy Pokemon is a great asset.

I initially chose Bisharp as a Pursuit user, but then I realized that my team did just fine against Psychic-types, so instead I opted for the SD set. In the end, it became one of my best win conditions, while also supporting the team with Knock Off. Bisharp forms a great dual offensive core with Mega Gardevoir. As the former can usually sweep offensive teams, while the latter takes care of stall.

The EVs are pretty standard. I use Jolly to take out Defensive Landorus-Therians that speed creep to beat Adamant Bisharps.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
♦ Hurricane
♦ Heat Wave / Focus Blast
♦ Iron Tail / Hidden Power [Steel] / Knock Off
♦ U-Turn

"That's why I'm easy, baby;
Easy like Sunday mornin'."

This is Part One of my two piece defensive core. Tornadus-Therian is probably one of the best pivots in the OU environment. He can take a special hit, U-Turn and recover any damage it had taken.

Not much can be said about the set. It's fairly obvious that the AV allows Tornadus to sponge hits from pokemon like Keldeo and Alakazam.

The EVs maximizes Tornadus' ability as a special pivot. Max Speed allows him to outrun anything slower than + Nature base 121, while also getting the OHKO on Keldeo with Hurricane after Stealth Rock damage. The rest is dumped into HP.

The moves are also quite standard. Hurricane is a great STAB move (except when it misses). Heat wave is used to take out Ferrothorn and Scizor more reliably, effectively helping out Gardevoir, while Focus Blast can be used for coverage (we see the Flying-Fighting coverage again) over it. The third move is the only thing that's a bit odd: Iron Tail has the first priority when it comes to choosing a move, because it gets the OHKO on Mega Diancie (which is a big threat to my team) regardless of Tornadus' Timid Nature. HP Steel can also OHKO, but only if Diancie is running Naive or Rash, otherwise it won't even have a chance to KO.
Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie:
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 204-240 (84.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 224-264 (92.9 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie:
0- Atk Tornadus-T Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 240-284 (99.5 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

The choice between Iron Tail and HP Steel really depends on how much you're willing to risk a miss. On the other hand, you can run Knock Off, but I don't recommend it, because it could potentially hinder a Bisharp sweep. Lastly, U-Turn is a staple move used in order to gain momentum.

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
♦ Stealth Rock
♦ Earthquake
♦ Dragon Tail
♦ Toxic / Endure / Fire Blast

"That's why I'm easy, yeah;
I'm easy like Sunday mornin'."

Garchomp acts as the other half of my defensive duo. He takes physical hits like it's nothing. Rocky Helmet is also a great item in tandem with Rough Skin, as it takes away 7/24 of the opponent's HP.

This is also my Stealth Rock setter, limiting the times Flying-types can switch into the field, thus allowing my Hawlucha to have an easier time.

The EVs maximize the tanking potential of Garchomp, while also allowing him to outspeed and proceed to kill Jolly Bisharps.

The moves are simple to explain. Stealth Rocks for obvious reasons. Earthquake is a good STAB option. Dragon Tail is a nice phazing move to have, in order to rack up damage with the rocks; not to mention that it gets a STAB boost as well. The last move slot is dedicated to weakening Garchomp's counters. Toxic is great for Hippowdon and Mandibuzz, while Endure can be used to gain extra chip damage on opposing physical attackers. Fire Blast is also decent in order to OHKO certain Scizor variants, while also denting Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Conclusion:
It was nice being able to make teams like these in the past few years, but everything's got to end at some point. Hopefully, you'll like the team and the potential it possesses. All the song rights go to whichever company owns it.

Change Log:
Bludz 7/24/15 - Changed Tornadus' EV spread. Heat Wave replaced as first option.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-252213380 vs. Offense (CM Raikou really shines in this battle.)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-252214779 vs. Balanced
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-252211649 vs. Semi-Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250402513 vs. Shedinja + Mega Sableye Stall

Importable:
Bird (Hawlucha) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Dog (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Woman (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Trade (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bird #2 (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Iron Tail
- U-turn

LandShark (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Note: Please keep the nicknames, if you want to test this team out.

"...Girl, I'm leaving you tomorrow."

Last edited:
Threatlist:

Certain Fairy Types - Some of these are really frustrating. Tornadus deals with the latter two, as long as you don't switch into Psyshock or Diamond Storm. Azumarill cannot be stopped. You have to sacrifice something for it...

/
+
Sand Setter + Excadrill - It's pretty easy to deal with actually. The key to this match up is to keep Garchomp healthy for Excadrill, weaken Hawlucha's counters and let it sweep.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

I find that you're very weak to offensive fairies, so I would suggest running Choice Band Scizor over Bisharp. I realize that you lose some cleaning and wallbreaking ability in this exchange but your team already features some good breakers and cleaners. CB Scizor gives you a good switch in to mega fairies and also completes a Volt-Turn core with Torn-T.

The second thing I would recommend is changing your Tornadus-T spread. Max speed is almost necessary in this metagame even on AV variants, as they cannot reliably check LO Alakazam or other Torn-Ts without it. I would recommend a spread of 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe with a Timid Nature. 100 SpA is all you need to OHKO Keldeo after Stealth Rock damage with the rest in bulk and speed.

I suppose these changes make you slightly weaker to Mega Charizard X, but Bisharp is not exactly the greatest check and your team was already quite weak to it, so I'd probably keep Endure on your Garchomp.

Last suggestion I would make is Heat Wave over Focus Blast on Tornadus-T. This gives you a better way to deal with Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn while still hitting Excadrill and Bisharp. Tyranitar and Heatran checked by a lot of the team so I don't think you need Focus Blast.

Thanks for the rate bludz!

I have used Banded Scizor on this team before, and it didn't really work out. Maybe I'll try a bulky SD set.

I actually had Heat Wave as the second option over Focus Blast, because Ferrothorn really annoyed me, but I guess that's because I ran Fire Blast on Garchomp. Now that I run Toxic on it, I'll definitely try Heat Wave again.

Thanks for the Torn-T set; it definitely looks much more effective on the get go compared to the set I currently have.

Again, your comment is very much appreciated, and I'll definitely make the appropriate changes to the team.

How's it rollin! This team is very well built, however, I see a major weakness to Diancie (Mega). If you get a free switch in, yes, Bisharp will win. However if your opponent predicts the switch and EP's, you really have nothing else. Gardevoir may be able to combat it but it isn't guarenteed. If I were you, I'd take out Tankchomp in place of Mold Breaker Excadrill w/ Air Balloon with SR. It's a better counter to Mega Diancie. I know Mega Diancie is on your threatlist, but I thought I needed to elaborate.

On the subject of Tornadus, while Iron Tail is reliable, it will miss 1/4 of the time. If you don't want to take these suggestions, then just stick with HP Steel. Of course, Azumaril and stuff.

100 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 212-252 (87.9 - 104.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

That poses a probem with Iron Tail missing and HP Steel not KOing all the time. Then you get Diamond Stormed. It ain't fun.

I'm not too fond of the idea of replacing Garchomp with Balloon Exca. First of all, Garchomp acts as my Bird Check and Exca can't take a Flare Blitz. Another thing is that Air Balloon Excadrill is not a counter to Mega Diancie, seeing how Exca can't switch into it in fear of losing its balloon.

Torn-T only runs Iron Tail as a last resort, more than a lure. You don't really want Torn-T facing Mega Diancie 1v1 anyway.

Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)