topic of cancer: share stories, good or bad itt

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Recently I told my parents that I could possibly be passing blood in my stool. This could be because of a hemroid or worse.. A tumor. So, this thread will sere as my final goodbyes and apologies to anyone and everyone in the likelyness of my death, as it could also be colon cancer or something (cancer is very, very common in my family).

My question is: have you ever had anything like this happen to you? To a loved one? How has this affected you? We're they in the hospital long? What kind of treatment did they go through? Have you had any similar expiriences with this kind of subject? How did you find out? How did your family take the news?

My apologies go out to any of those whom I've annoyed on this forum as well on irc, since I know I'm pretty annoying.

Best of wishes bro, be optimistic about it :) Cancer treatment has improved greatly over the years. My mom had a tumor 4 months ago, and her surgery went fine, and she's recovered and well now. It will be the same with you CJ! You kick that disease's ass!

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have had two surgerys since March to remove cancerous tumors and death passed through my mind a lot. Just hang in there man, you'll be fine. I currently have another disease but you can't live your life all depressed, smile and make the best of every situation.

Maybe signs of internal bleeding? Not sure why you're automatically assuming that it's a tumor.

And yeah I have a cousin that had some type of rare cancer (a tumor on his right hand). He once asked me at the time he was going through chemotherapy if I thought he would go to heaven if he would die. Feelsbadman... still haunts me. He's still among us today and goes for a check up every 6 month.

anyway, gl and stay positive :toast:

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, guys.

I have had two surgerys since March to remove cancerous tumors and death passed through my mind a lot. Just hang in there man, you'll be fine. I currently have another disease but you can't live your life all depressed, smile and make the best of every situation.
I am, and I'm trying.
Maybe signs of internal bleeding? Not sure why you're automatically assuming that it's a tumor.

And yeah I have a cousin that had some type of rare cancer (a tumor on his right hand). He once asked me at the time he was going through chemotherapy if I thought he would go to heaven if he would die. Feelsbadman... still haunts me. He's still among us today and goes for a check up every 6 month.

anyway, gl and stay positive :toast:
Cancer is the most likey diagnosis, but it could also be a slew of othe things. Cancer just runs in the family. Most everyone in my family had died from it or has it

My stepsister had leukemia. She was in a hospital bed of her life, there was much she did not get to do. She was constantly in pain because of the chemo, and I am sure the sporadic weight changes and hair loss were extremely tough on a young girl. She finally received a bone marrow transplant but her body rejected it, and she passed away at age fourteen.

I hope you're okay. Cancer is a terrible thing.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i think youre having a little bout of hypochondria here dude

bloody stool could be a literal endless number of things, and if you havent even had any tests run i wouldnt assume the worse

just because cancer runs in the family doesnt mean youll get it at 15 and die

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
remember guys, if you spot blood in your stool its most likely cancer.

but seriously, does it hurt when you sit or something? its way more likely that it is a hemorrhoid (internal one if you cant feel it from outside) or an anal fissure, or even an infection. dont diagnose yourself, go to the doctor, get a proper diagnosis, and chill out.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Have you seen a doctor?

If you didn't, book an appointment right now. Don't belittle the people who DO have cancer by making a scare thread without a diagnosis.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Have you seen a doctor?

If you didn't, book an appointment right now. Don't belittle the people who DO have cancer by making a scare thread without a diagnosis.
That's how I feel I guess. Having gone through so much with this, I can't help this is almost just a 15 year olds cry for seeking some attention. If you jump to such a conclusion like that, it almost makes it seem as if you want something like that to happen to you. And I assure you, you definitely don't dude.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
Back from the ER

Not cancerous, not tumorus, but not normal either.

I mainly made this thread to discuss things that have happened like this to anyone you might know. Just in case it happened to me it would be nice to know how anyone else felt with it. I didn't make it so we could poke fun at the scared 15-year-old.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Back from the ER

Not cancerous, not tumorus, but not normal either.

I mainly made this thread to discuss things that have happened like this to anyone you might know. Just in case it happened to me it would be nice to know how anyone else felt with it. I didn't make it so we could poke fun at the scared 15-year-old.
It's normal to be paranoid about something like this, and you being 15 years old, I'm honestly relieved you acted mature about it. You should feel proud. You faced 'death' with a lot of maturity for your age, you didn't do anything stupid or started saying negative things. You were just being realistic. I gotta say I got some respect for you.

Now that the doctor has cleared this up, it will stop bothering you somewhat. Shit like this will make you stronger mentally, especially at your age.

Cancer is the most likey diagnosis, but it could also be a slew of othe things. Cancer just runs in the family. Most everyone in my family had died from it or has it
Cancer is actually the least likely diagnosis, the most common is hemorrhoids. Though like you said, it can be many things.

Edit: It's good to here that it wasn't cancerous or any tumors. Though I just want to add that if they would of found something cancerous and it was early in it's stage, the survival rate is 90%, if that makes you feel any better.

Your reaction seems like the standard uneducated 15-year-old response to seeing blood in your shit.

Don't say goodbyes or raise drama until you get the diagnosis, honestly.

You'll probably get through it, one way or another.

Yeah, a lot of "what ifs" are going to run through your mind, but don't let any of them catch momentum. Just wait for a real answer.

Until then, stay calm and keep being whoever it is you are.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your reaction seems like the standard uneducated 15-year-old response to seeing blood in your shit.

Don't say goodbyes or raise drama until you get the diagnosis, honestly.

You'll probably get through it, one way or another.

Yeah, a lot of "what ifs" are going to run through your mind, but don't let any of them catch momentum. Just wait for a real answer.

Until then, stay calm and keep being whoever it is you are.
Stop being so thick and unsympathetic. Anyone would be paranoid about cancer, especially when it runs through the family, and instead berating him, how about extending some sympathy and some understanding about his situation, especially taking into account his young age.

Anyways, I'm glad it's not cancer and I hope you feel better. We're definitely rooting for you.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This shit can be very scary. I have had my fair share of medical scares in my 29 years, and I don't hold it against you at all that you were assuming the worst. Humans are afraid of their own mortality, and the stress of the situation makes us jump to the worst possible conclusions.

I'm glad to hear it isn't cancer, but you said it still isn't normal. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

By the way, cancer doesn't cause instant death. There probably would have been plenty of time for you to actually get diagnosed before making this thread. I don't think you would have succumbed to cancer before then.

How much blood did you pass in your stool? I pass little cracks of blood sometimes when I'm constipated. It usually happens once, but sometimes it takes two or three times before it stops. I'm sorry if that sounds graphic, but this is a thread about poop, so honestly it's expected. The only time where you should be REALLY worrying is if you are spurting blood like a fountain and/or you are pooping blood regularly and/or pooping is excruciatingly/mildly painful.

I'm sorry about your feces.

Based on family history and other factors, I'm very likely to develop skin cancer in my life. I've already thought about it enough to understand and accept it, but waiting to get cancer is thoroughly scary. It will almost definitely be easily remedied but I'm still not looking forward to its arrival. I also have a very small fatty tumor on each of my legs which are strange but totally harmless.

It's just another inevitable part of accepting death. And just in case anyone in here doesn't know already: If a man lives to be 80, he is extremely likely to develop prostate cancer. It seems like a long way away, but it will come eventually

breh

強いだね
Did you perhaps eat any borscht or, for that matter, beets recently? With what frequency did you pass blood?

I had a 4cm-diameter brain tumour surgically removed last year, which I've talked about quite a bit here, but here's my story ^_^; Don't read it if you're squeamish... I don't want to upset anyone! It's a novel, sorry, I like detail...

Last year I noticed (after replacing my headphones...) that I couldn't hear in my right ear. I also began to get dizzy and fall in the shower constantly, to the point I had to have special modifications made. I didn't realise this was related, but in about March and April, I began to feel so constantly nauseous whenever I moved, my head constantly spinning from the slightest motion, that I threw up several times a day. I was told I had permanent right ear hearing loss and it was most likely from a virus I'd had around the time I noticed I couldn't hear. About a week later I got sick of throwing up (threw up literally nine times in a morning, I counted -- I threw up food, then water, then acid, then began to dry retch after the ninth time because I ran out of things to throw up). I went to the hospital several times about it; they'd put me on the IV and I'd lie still in bed, so then I'd stop throwing up and they'd send me home. A doctor in the ER recognised my symptoms because his mother had had them, though, and ordered an MRI. It is quite possible that this saved my life, and it blows me away even a year later.

When I had the MRI, I was exhausted (I stayed awake all night so I could sleep in the machine, because I've had MRIs before and the noise and confinement scares me) and not even thinking straight. But I just thought it'd be routine and they wouldn't find anything. I asked them, 'How long do you think this will take?' 'Half an hour.' They woke me up and I asked, 'So how long was I in there?' 'About an hour.' I just figured I'd moved in my sleep and they'd had to take new images because I messed them up or something.

They made me wait at the hospital, which (as a medical veteran) I was not anticipating, and I just slept fitfully, but eventually I became fairly concerned. At 5 PM my mom yelled at the nurses and they made the doctor come and tell me I had a brain tumour, which was causing significant intracranial pressure and had caused a lot of damage to my 8th cranial nerve (the vestibulocochlear/acoustic nerve, which controls your hearing and balance -- no wonder!), and I would have to go to another city to be treated, due to my local hospital lacking a neuro ward. I was in shock and cried a lot. I wrote letters to a lot of my friends on my iPhone because I couldn't sleep and I thought I would surely die.

The next day I was taken by ambulance about five hours away to the hospital where I'd live for the next month. I was in a fairly cheerful frame of mind and felt hopeful that I could be treated, since that is what I was told. I arrived there and my neurosurgeon visited me. He didn't say a word to me, just asked for my MRIs. He looked at them and said, 'This will be challenging; she will die soon if we don't get it out.' The words 'This will be challenging' (or he might've said difficult, idk anymore, I was sleep deprived and in shock) made me cry hysterically. I thought again for sure I would die that night.

After talking to my medical team the next morning, that changed. I would have surgery in two weeks on my brain. I wasn't afraid because I'd be anaesthetised. I thought, 'Isn't the worst part waiting?' I felt really bad for my mom because I would just be knocked out for the ten or so hours the surgery ended up taking. I trusted my doctors to make me better and I had no choice anyway. I realised that it was having that surgery or dying. If I died from the surgery then so be it, I didn't want to die at all but I would've died anyway. But chances were that I'd live and I'd have a new chance at happiness, and I wanted to get better.

At the time I'd been severely and suicidally depressed for seven years. I sat around on the internet and deep in thought most of the time, and I was able to work through this depression because I finally realised I was grateful for the love of the people who supported me during this time, to be alive, to have another chance to experience all the beauty and wonder in everyday life and the world as a whole, and I was oddly happier than I'd ever been in my life before then. I was not afraid.

I know many people around me were afraid and I was scared of my facial nerve being severely damaged and living with facial palsy, since I was told that almost certainly would happen. But I was looking forward to having the future back. The heavy steroids I was on got rid of my nausea; as someone who's always sick, I felt physically better than I'd ever felt in my life. They also made me severely hyperglycaemic with lasting effects, so I had to take insulin, which meant my diet was severely restricted. I struggled a bit with having no freedom because I was stuck in the hospital taking insulin (and was also in a wheelchair because of my balance problems making it dangerous to walk), which made me cry a few times, but on the whole I was happy.

I have never felt so bad physically as after my surgery. I had no idea... had no idea of the sheer level of the exhaustion brain surgery gives you. I could not walk. I could not open my eyes. I struggled to think. I was in pain and constantly on morphine. It took me a week of starting to practise walking again to learn to walk more than a few steps. At the start, I'd walk to the door and collapse and they'd have to put me back in the bed, where I'd sleep for hours. Nothing prepares you for that kind of weakness and fatigue. I spent the first three days after the surgery fighting pneumonia too, hallucinating constantly and utterly delirious. It was terrible, nobody had told me I could be so sick and weary, that it would be so hard to recover. I knew it was going to take months to get back to normal, but I did not know I would be unable to even walk, to even sit up.

Coming out of that heavy anaesthesia at around 10-11 PM felt like waking from a coma. I was so dry and ill and dazed and didn't understand much, but I knew I was alive, and I was happy. I whispered thank you and then started bitching with all my strength about wanting water and the nurse gave me some (although you're meant to have crushed ice). I promptly threw it up. Yeah. I had a really awful night in intensive care, but I was glad I'd made it. And I was glad I had the support of everyone.

One day my neurosurgeon came to visit me in the morning and he saw that I was lying back, wan and drained, on my pillow. I'd eaten breakfast lying down. He said to me, 'You have to sit up straight to make your lungs stronger. If you don't then the pneumonia will carry you away.' I bolted upright, despite how tired I was. I was terrified of the thought that this chance at happiness I had been given by his capabilities (and others') would be wasted, that after all the fucking trials I'd been through because of a brain tumour I'd die to pneumonia. So I sat up and he petted me on the head and told me I had to sit upright in a chair for three hours a day. I couldn't do it. It was so tiring, so unbearably tiring, that I'd sit in for an hour and beg to be let go. So my mom would give in and I'd collapse in the bed and sleep for hours. Yup. That's what recovering from brain surgery and pneumonia is like. Eventually I was able to be wheeled outside and the feeling of the fresh air filling my tired lungs was so invigorating.

I wanted to go home really badly, so after my neurosurgeon visited me, I willed myself to make it happen. I threw myself into everything except sitting in a chair. Constantly practised walking, did my breathing exercises every hour as instructed, sat up whenever I could, went outside for fresh air. The doctors were surprised by how fast I was recovering from the double whammy of brain surgery and pneumonia, but it was partly because I'm young, partly because they were capable, and partly because of my willpower, I know that and they told me that too. I knew I was lucky to have the strength to fight, so I had to fight with all of it.

Soon I could walk a decent amount, and I was given a walking frame to deal with my severe and permanent imbalance issues. I cannot walk very far safely without it even now, and I daresay I will have it all my life. I don't mind at all, whatever helps me walk safely is a great thing in my eyes. I constantly tripped over and stuff before (partly from the damage to my nerve, partly because I have other neurological impairments), and now that isn't really the case when I'm using my frame, so I was glad. I walk better now than ever. My mom thought I would be too proud to use it, but no, I was thrilled because it was so fucking easy to walk holding onto that thing. I don't see why I shouldn't be proud to use it. I get stared at a lot as a young girl with a walking frame, but I don't care that much, since I used to get stared at a lot anyway for how I'd just kind of teeter all over the place like a Spinda ~_~ So I didn't feel bad about it at all.

They let me home early and I had to be readmitted locally several times with symptoms from my pneumonia, severe headaches after surgery (these eventually went away, but I was taking a cocktail of painkillers every night because one type would wear off before I was allowed to take it again, so I was prescribed about three or four types + paracetamol), and then whooping cough, which I'd caught in that city despite being vaccinated in February (caught it for the second time, mind you) and suffered with all winter :P

It was a long and hard recovery and I'm still pretty sickly, but when I compare myself to how I was last winter, or the winter before that, I'm happy to know I've made such an improvement. I know that I was in really good hands (my neurosurgeon was really well-qualified, head of the huge neuroscience department at that hospital, etc.) so I trusted them. Having everyone support me and just accepting that I couldn't do anything about it but fight as hard as I could helped me be strong. I won't say that it was easy because it was anything but. It was physically and emotionally gruelling, but most of the time I was happy and peaceful because I'd arrived at a kind of inner resolution. I also felt lucky to be able to deal with it so well and try to be strong for people like my mom. I know that it's a lot different when it's your daughter and you're helpless to make her better and when it's yourself, so I don't judge her for falling to pieces. I think it's perfectly normal to if someone you know / yourself gets sick.

It changes your life, you cannot look at the world in the same way, it is difficult and takes all your strength to get through. I understand completely why you are scared and I commend you on getting this checked out right away. It's not a good sign but it could be a lot of other, milder things, and I hope whatever it is can be treated and you won't have to worry anymore. I really wish you the best and if you ever wanna talk about anything, my PM box is open, etc. I didn't have to have chemotherapy or radiotherapy (although, if it comes back, I will probably have to have radiotherapy to halt its growth, but I got my 12-month all-clear in May!) -- my tumour was too big, I had to have it out right away because I only had a short time left to live otherwise. Now I will hopefully have a long time. I'm really grateful I didn't have to go through such long, trying treatments. And I hope you won't either. I don't know anything much about this particular symptom, but I can see why you'd be terrified, so don't feel ashamed of that or like you're overreacting. It's a normal fear, same as the fear we experience when we find strange lumps on our body etc., even if it's completely harmless. Just make sure to get all this seen to!

Remember that everyone who loves you is there for you right now, even though you're scared, regardless of whether your suspicions are right or not. I hope my post could give you a little insight and teach you that life goes on :)

And if you need any context for my experiences, I'm an eighteen-year-old Australian girl. I've been disabled since birth and stuff, so maybe my perspective is a little odd, I don't know ^_^;

ETA: I forgot to include a detail. I'm actually really fortunate. There was very slight damage to my ocular nerve, but my facial nerve was completely untouched. I can smile perfectly fine. The doctors didn't believe it when I smiled after coming out of the anaesthesia, in the weeks thereafter they kept making me smile to prove it since it was a foregone conclusion I wouldn't be able to smile properly anymore and they might have to graft my nerves etc. to give me proper control of the side of my face ;p So, yeah, I felt reallllyyy grateful for that. And that they didn't cut much hair off, you couldn't even fucking tell because I have a lot and I could just flip layers over my scar. (Which is not conspicuous, sadly I do not have an awesome battle scar...) Due to my unwellness in the months thereafter, I lost a lot of hair, but it's all grown back now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)