Touhou

Is anyone else totally psyched for the May 25 Touhou convention? I know I am.

Personally, I cannot wait for the full version of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. I played the demo that was released at Comiket, and from what I've played I actually like it a lot more than Immaterial and Missing Power. I'd say that the difference between SWR and IaMP is similar to that between SSBM and SSBB; the newer game is geared toward a less religious audience, and the mechanics have been significantly modified to the point where most old characters that were broken by virtue of physics will not continue to dominate the field. I'm really curious to find out what characters will be included in SWR. I wouldn't be too heartbroken to see the somewhat useless China and Remilia be elliminated since Aya retains both of their strengths without including too many of their weaknesses. (In Remilia's case this is mainly due to typing; sun and rain are half of the weather types in SWR.) However, I wouldn't mind seeing characters retooled; since the game is obvious engineered to appeal to the general Touhou crowd rather than hardcore IaMP fans, this isn't too unlikely either.

The other major attraction of this convention will be the release of the demo for Subterranean Animism, which is game 11 in the series. Unlike Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Touhou 11 will be a more traditional shmup. I'm mainly curious about what new characters will be introduced; my Touhou fandom isn't really based on the actual shmup games (which is probably why I'm more psyched about SWR than this).

Besides the canon stuff, there's already a bunch of doujinshi material that people are eagerly anticipating. There's a Touhou/300 crossover that we've already seen some frames from, which looks to be entertaining (although I'm not sure how quickly people will go about translating it). In music, probably the most famous Touhou song ever would be Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, and at Reitaisai 5, a new album will be released dedicated entirely to remixing this song. No joke, you can visit the official site if you don't believe me. I really don't know what to expect from this, but the demo clip on the site was enough to convince me that combining Touhou, IOSYS, and SSH can only result in pure unadulterated awesome. Also, the creator of the ever famous Touhou lossless collection promised an update shortly following the convention; I'm not sure what other music will be released, but I'll be sure to check out what does pop up.

I'm glad to see that the Touhou fanbase isn't really split on enthusiasm for this. I had expected to see a bit of resistance from some hardcore Immaterial and Missing Power players, but I've talked to several and from what I've seen, the IaMP community actually expects to gain inertia from the people who will likely try out IaMP after playing the new Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and becoming bored with it. No matter what angle you look at it from, there is no reason for any Touhou fan not to be excited about this event.

Touhoufag here. I wonder if you or any others recognize my epic avatar.

Can't wait for SWR or the demo of the new game.

I'll miss Meiling, but Reisen more than makes up for it.

By the way, character list:
- Reimu
- Marisa
- Alice
- Aya
- Sakuya
- Patchouli
- Remilia
- Youmu
- Yuyuko
- Yukari
- Reisen
- Komachi
- Suika
- New character (final boss)

I actually haven't gotten around to playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody yet, I've been too busy collecting music and playing the Subterranean Animism demo. It's mechanically similar to Mountain of Faith, but plays nothing like any of the previous shmups; the stage 2 boss was a lot of fun. One thing I noticed, though, is that it's possible to stand in the corner of the screen and not get hit by any bullets (although this will cause your cell phone signal to degrade over time and won't get you any points). It's probably a glitch that won't be in the full version of the game.

I actually haven't gotten around to playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody yet, I've been too busy collecting music and playing the Subterranean Animism demo. It's mechanically similar to Mountain of Faith, but plays nothing like any of the previous shmups; the stage 2 boss was a lot of fun. One thing I noticed, though, is that it's possible to stand in the corner of the screen and not get hit by any bullets (although this will cause your cell phone signal to degrade over time and won't get you any points). It's probably a glitch that won't be in the full version of the game.
I heard it was just in for debug purposes. It should be out in the full game.

Reimu B is amazing. Auto item collect come in extreme handy, as it can be hell hard to get to the POC in stage 3.

Also there's a girl in a bucket lol

The two new characters in SWR (boss characters) are Iku Nagae and Tenshi Hinanai.

I heard that the bomb system is the same as it was in MoF, but the craptacular rings are gone, and the old, cool spellcards are back. I also heard, though, that there's no master spark. Shame.

The two new characters in SWR (boss characters) are Iku Nagae and Tenshi Hinanai.

I heard that the bomb system is the same as it was in MoF, but the craptacular rings are gone, and the old, cool spellcards are back. I also heard, though, that there's no master spark. Shame.
A lot of them aren't that cool =(

Bombs
Reimu A: Nothing happens for a bit, then screen clears of bullets
Reimu B: Black hole thing that stays in place (think Suika's black hole from IaMP) It totally sucks =(
Reimu C: Tornado/black hole thing that follows you.

Marisa A: Doll fires a lazer in front of you. Lasts for practically NOTHING. At least you get 8 of em at max power.
Marisa B: Haven't tried
Marisa C: You get a barrier around you that acts just like the PCB cherry border. If you don't break it, you get 0.5 power back. If you break it, it clears the screen of shots.

They're all totally weird lol

Also SWR is awesome.

Oh man that's turd. What's with the weird spellcards? I love the MoF system, but we'd want our spellcards to be more, well, flashy.

I guess they don't really go together though, if they're more flashy they kinda ought to do bigger things, and for 1 power that'd be too spammable. Just like the spammable hideous rings, but at least they weren't that awesome.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
As to the music part...

Both Makishinsai(IOSYS's latest album), and the remixes albums(both) are way beyond awesome.

Makishinsai even has a (9) song =D, and Remilia@FullMoon is awesome, but my fav is Border of Extacy

is there a download to the new games yet?
Uh, doujinstyle if you want DDL I guess, although that's pretty slow. You could always try /rs/ or rapidsearch (if it still exists)
As to the music part...

Both Makishinsai(IOSYS's latest album), and the remixes albums(both) are way beyond awesome.

Makishinsai even has a (9) song =D, and Remilia@FullMoon is awesome, but my fav is Border of Extacy
I've always felt that IOSYS depreciated with age, but I'm glad to say that Makishinsai broke that trend, at least in my eyes. It seemed like they started out in a really nice niche and tried to broaden, but in that attempt simply became just noise to my ears in the process. (Sort of like fripSide; the fripSide NAO was more similar to the original material and superior in my opinion.) Border of extacy is nuts, but that's not really anything unique for IOSYS. But I do agree that Remilia@FullMoon is awesome; I love IOSYS's more jazzy or otherwise instrumental tracks. I also liked the last track on the album for the same reason.

Probably my favorite album from Reitaisai is Crossfire Barrage; Frozen Frog was always one of my favorite albums and I was glad to see Crow's Claw release a second Touhou album.

The gossun remix albums were actually somewhat disappointing. I guess this is probably because I set my expectations unrealistically high the moment I heard the SSH excerpt that appeared on the demo track. As a whole, I found the whole concept quite amusing and did get a lot of enjoyment out of both albums, but that was mostly with the company of friends. Admittedly, I did like the stuff by SSH and dBu a lot.

IMO best songs on the new IOSYS CD would be Remilia's theme and Eirin's theme. Reimu's one is pretty good too. The rest is not bad, and border of extacy is just lolz

COOL&CREATE's new album is AMAZING. I love every track on it. (aside from the no vocals and the bonus talking track but they don't count :P) I watched a bit of the live version of Flowering Night 2008 and that girl STILL can't sing. :V Luckily she sounds fine on this CD.

Alomestra Records (I think that's what they're called) also has a very good CD. BAD APPLE! is one of my favorites.

I had higher hopes for Innocent Key, but aside from their first track (MAID! KNEE SOCKS! PAD CHIEF!) it was rather disappointing. Gossun Remix was also a bit disappointing. The first CD is decent and definitely better than the second.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Touhou 11 is out

Apparently, Easy = Normal, Normal = Hard, Hard = Lunatic, and Lunatic is...

When commenting on the difficulty, ZUN said something like how he made hard equivalent to Lunatic and he really doesn't care because people out there are crazy and will beat Lunatic anyway.

On other news, Touhoumon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptY8nOLwVNQ

There's an experimental patch that patches Fire Red, but still pretty glitchy

Uh, it's not Reitaisai 5 time anymore. In fact, Comiket 74 has already come and gone.

Anyway, Subterranean Animism is amazing. I'm still going to agree with the old IOSYS adage that it's unforgivable to play on easy modo unless you're an elementary school kid, but I doubt I'll be beating it on hard any time soon.

I was going to name all of the boss music tracks that I liked, but when I thought about it, I couldn't think of any that I didn't like. The soundtrack is awesome.

On that note, I just realized that I haven't gotten a chance to grab any of the albums that came out at Comiket 74. I think I'll start with the IOSYS album, because I really enjoyed the last one.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I know, I couldn't find any other touhou threads so I just bumped this one

The SA OST is pretty epic indeed :3

Fair enough, topic title has been changed. Consider this a general Touhou thread.

You know, this Comiket 74 completely caught me off guard (I went online last Friday and learned that it had already started). With conventions taking place twice a year now, it feels like we have them every other week.

Anyway, what else came out at the convention that I should be aware of? I'm currently downloading the IOSYS album. Come to think of it, what happened to that Touhou/300 crossover thing that was supposed to come out at Reitaisai 5? Did it not come out, or have people just not gotten around to scanning it?

Fair enough, topic title has been changed. Consider this a general Touhou thread.

You know, this Comiket 74 completely caught me off guard (I went online last Friday and learned that it had already started). With conventions taking place twice a year now, it feels like we have them every other week.

Anyway, what else came out at the convention that I should be aware of? I'm currently downloading the IOSYS album. Come to think of it, what happened to that Touhou/300 crossover thing that was supposed to come out at Reitaisai 5? Did it not come out, or have people just not gotten around to scanning it?
Noone has scanned it as far as I know. It's too bad because it looks really epic.

SA is definately hard, but with practice it gets easier. I can currently make it to the third last attack of the Extra boss.

oh i didnt even notice this thread when i made my touhou thread

i can get to stage 5 on lunatic SA, then i always wipe because fffff its hard

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rock-solid. The difficulty's been ramped down a bit from the insanity that was Subterranean Animism, and the UFO system gives you a good deal of options in regards to what powerups you want (sure you can spam lives, but that means you have to give up bombs, or points, etc).

The characters are classic Touhou, to paraphrase, "Anoymous", "Silly girls with silly powers with silly backstories in a silly world". The first boss is a mouse with dowsing rods. The second boss has a ghostly umbrella that evokes Gastly's Lick attack. The 3rd boss of the demo has a cloud who, in a departure from the traditional rainbow colored bullets that characterizes the series, punches you. That's right. Punches you. Who said the series was getting stale?

It's still probably not good enough to bring in non-Touhou fans, but it's one of the most balanced Touhous in a while, and adds a few new wrinkes to please long-time fans.

Hey, Ive heard a bit about this, but I still exactly don't know what it is. Can someone help me out? What's the point of it and how do I get into this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)