Triple J's Hottest 100 2014

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The Hottest 100 is an annual music poll by Australian radio station Triple J. It's the largest music poll in the world, with last year's poll attracting around 1.5 million votes. Voting for this year's poll opens at 8am December 15, AEST, and the songs will be played on Australia Day (January 26).

To give you an idea of what songs to expect if you aren't a regular listener, here is the top 20 songs from last year's list:

1. Vance Joy - Riptide
2. Lorde - Royals
3. Daft Punk - Get Lucky
4. Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
5. Flume ft. Chet Faker - Drop the Game
6. Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
7. Lana Del Rey - Young & Beautiful
8. Matt Corby - Resolution
9. The Preatures - Is This How You Feel?
10. London Grammar - Strong
11. Haim - The Wire
12. Lorde - Tennis Court
13. James Blake - Retrograde
14. Violent Soho - Covered In Chrome
15. Lorde - Team
16. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
17. Daft Punk - Lose Yourself To Dance
18. Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
19. The Kite String Tangle - Given the Chance
20. Kanye West - Black Skinhead

Have any of you planned for who you will vote for? Also, what songs do you expect to place well in the countdown?

I'm expecting Chet Faker, Kimbra and Hilltop Hoods to get a few songs in each and perhaps even get one or two in the top 10 of the countdown, I'm still mostly undecided on what songs I will vote for, but I'm considering Jack White and Ball Park Music at the moment.

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
Haven't tuned into jjj in so long now, mainly due to the fact that whenever i do i get unlucky and they're playing aussie rap, and I don't bother tuning in for another month only for the same thing to happen

I'll probably vote for DZ Deathrays, but I don't think they'll place well overall. Hilltop Hoods should get a top 10 because everyone loves their stuff, Chet Faker has been pretty popular for a long time as well so I agree with you those 2 should do well. 360 released an album this year, and he always seems to get something in there when he does, so ill tip him to have something get on there.

EDIT: expect foo fighters to make an appearance

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn I was gonna do this thread when the voting had actually started lol

I absolutely love the hottest 100 (I get into the 200-100 countdown they do the week after more tbh). I spend way too much time trying to perfect my top 10, almost like it's a way of unintentionally showing off how much of a fucking musical hipster I am. I have an itunes smart playlist that adds songs to itself that have the year 2014 and at least 4 stars, mostly just because when voting comes around it's hard to remember what was good early on. I'm still not sure what I'll vote for yet but I'll list a couple things I've liked as I scroll through the list.. (mostly electro stuff)

Sable - Feels So Good

Cashmere Cat - Pearls

RL Grime & What So Not - Tell Me

Vindata - All I Really Need

Skrillex - Fire Away

Chet Faker - Gold

Fortunes - Keeper

Hermitude - Ukiyo

L D R U & Yahtzel - The Only One

Alison Wonderland - I Want U

Safia - Paranoia, Ghosts & Other Sounds

Jesse Boykins III - Plain

Jamie xx - Girl (bonus points for cool video)

20syl - Ongoing Thing

Bonobo - Duals

RL Grime - Core

SKULS - Graves

Vic Mensa - Wimme Nah (prod. by Kaytranada)

Kaytranada - Leave Me Alone

Penthouse Penthouse - Last Stop (feat. JNTHN STEIN)

Carmada (L D R U & Yahtzel) - Maybe
(On Fire is pretty good too but I only heard it the other day with the release of their EP...)

Flying Lotus - Never Catch Me (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
(my favourite track off the album is actually Coronus, The Terminator)

Andras & Oscar - Everytime I Go (probably my #1 tbh)

Les Sins - Don't Bother (cool video)
(not sure whether I like this or Talk About better)

So yeah that's basically what I've been enjoying this last year. Gotta cut it down to 10 eventually..

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I still haven't really come up with a top 10 for my own yet, but there are some songs I'm very sure of so far

Kimbra - Miracle
Kimbra - 90's Music
Jack White - Lazaretto
Jack White - Would You Fight For My Love?
Kucka - Unconditional
Safia - Take Me Over
Chet Faker - Talk Is Cheap
Ball Park Music - Tripping the Light Fantastic
The Preatures - Better Than It Ever Could Be

I can never think of all the songs I like when I'm on the spot like this though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I've seen the hashtag trending on both Twitter and Facebook. In all honesty, I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened. I really hope it doesn't make it but it probably will. Imagine if jjj pulled all the votes for her and she didn't even make the countdown, there would be an outrage! I've read countless articles on how people think that they're the 'illuminati' of Australian music, manipulating what becomes popular in the country etc. etc... If Taylor Swift doesn't make the list at all after the popularity of this trolling it will just add fuel to that fire.

Anyway I came here to actually share my top ten, so here it is:

1. Andras & Oscar - Everytime I Go. Easy number one for me, had this on high rotation since it came out.
  2. Childish Gambino - Telegraphe Ave ("Oakland by Lloyd"). Didn't even know this was eligible any more, I voted for 3005 in last years. This has been a favourite for a long time now
  3. Jamie xx - Girl. Fucking love this track, the video by Young Turks is cool too. The bass that kicks in at 1:06 though.... Are the lyrics "I want your love," "I want your life," or "I want your blood"?
  4. Chet Faker - Gold. Been listening to Chet for a long time now, this was easily my favourite from his album. Pretty fucking psyched to have gotten front row lounge tickets to his Melbourne Show in March for Christmas
  5. Jesse Boykins III - Plain. Not even sure what it is I like about this song, it's kinda cool to have a pop song with some actual meaning behind the lyrics I guess. I play this song a lot, so much that my girlfriend asked if I was trying to send a message haha
  6. Hermitude - Ukiyo. Huge fun of Hermitude here so they would probably get a vote no matter what they released to be honest, lucky this is actually a cool track. They put on a crazy live show so I would recommend checking them out
  7. Vic Mensa - Wimme Nah (Prod. by Kaytranada). Fucking love Kaytranada so I needed to get a vote in for him. I heard this beat a while ago in a mix he did for Hypetrack, cool to have Vic Mensa use it
  8. Flying Lotus - Coronus, The Terminator. You're Dead is such a cool album, this was probably my favourite individual track
  9. Bonobo - Duals. Yep I love Bonobo (Cirrus is one of my all time favourites) so the lone track he releases this year gets my vote
  10. Les Sins - Bother. Toro y Moi's side project. I just think the video is funny as fuck, it's where my avatar is from...
Cannot wait to listen to the countdown (Taylor Swift and all) on Aus Day!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
NO TAYLOR SWIFT HAHAHAHA

everyone is getting so butthurt that they've denied her a spot. been reading articles all day with titles along the lines of 'fucking hipsters' etc etc... I think it's pretty funny they have a go at what triple j plays but want to take part in their vote anyway and get upset that their trolling didn't work. fucking mainstream kids

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
NO TAYLOR SWIFT HAHAHAHA

everyone is getting so butthurt that they've denied her a spot. been reading articles all day with titles along the lines of 'fucking hipsters' etc etc... I think it's pretty funny they have a go at what triple j plays but want to take part in their vote anyway and get upset that their trolling didn't work. fucking mainstream kids
Haters gonna hate hate hate, I guess.

This has been a very good countdown, probably the best in years for mine. I love how much Australian representation there has been.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Haters gonna hate hate hate, I guess.
lol, read that a few times today already :p

Enjoying the hottest 100 so far, get ready for peking duk and hopefully RTJ in the top 10
Take Me Over got pretty high, I predicted it at #4 so only just missed! Running Too Fast went pretty early imo, it got heaps of air time this year so thought it would poll higher for sure. Only one thing I voted for made the list (chet faker - gold) so I guess I'm a dirty fucking hipster then haha

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
lol, read that a few times today already :p

Take Me Over got pretty high, I predicted it at #4 so only just missed! Running Too Fast went pretty early imo, it got heaps of air time this year so thought it would poll higher for sure. Only one thing I voted for made the list (chet faker - gold) so I guess I'm a dirty fucking hipster then haha
I put three songs in the top 20 I'm their correct positions; "Stolen Dance", "Take Me Over", and "Yellow Flicker Beat", so I'm proud of that. I voted for 1, 5, 19, 29, & 99 this year, and for the first time in a while, I'm looking very forward to the 200-101 countdown.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo I didn't even know this existed. Good shit. I'd honestly be surprised if I knew half the artists on the countdown, but I'm stoked because all this new music I get to listen to. I'll probably make a playlist on Spotify and play it through or some shit.

Also, fuck people trying to ruin a good thing. I don't like Taylor Swift, but if she earned her way onto the countdown, I'd respect it. But if she made it onto the countdown with all the trolling involved to get her there, I'd be salty as fuck.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg

Bumping because this music video is relevant and awesome. A band covered/mashed-up all of the countdown's 100 songs in half an hour and it sounds really good. They did this before for 2012's countdown, but this one has a great video to go with it.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
tkay maidza being absolutely amazing and made the top 100 again. She's gonna be big some day I reckon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)