SM RU Trying a trick room team

I built this team by just looking at the meta and seeing what could work while still getting type coverage.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Bronzong is my lead as he is fairly tanky and can almost always get off a trick room to start the game. Once I get the trick room out I can get out a stealth rock, then either stall by going for toxic and protect to try and get another trick room in before switching, or just switching after stealth rocks.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Alolan marowak is a very strong attacker in my team who can usually knock out anything if he has the super effective move without swords dance. if I need a swords dance then I can usually knock everything out of my way as long as I have trick room up.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

Cresselia is another trick room setter, but is also good at stalling, and has access to lunar dance if needed. Moonlight helps stall and ice beam is a pretty good coverage move, although cresselia's special attack in underwhelming.

Vikavolt (F) @ Buginium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Vikavolt is a strong special attacker who can also run away if needed with volt switch. other then that he has bug buzz a strong stab move that can also be a z move, and thunderbolt as another good stab move.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Synthesis

Shaymin is a very powerful special attacker and has strong seed flare stab as a move that will hurt even if it is not super effective. earth power is great coverage and the same goes for hidden power ice. synthesis is good to keep shaymin alive and good in a pinch. shaymin is also the fastest on the team, so if needed, I can run shaymin outside of trick room with slower opponents, and in trick room with faster enemies.

Hoopa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

For the last spot on the team I was debating between hoopa and mega audino as another trick room setter, but ended up with hoopa because hoopa can be used as a strong attacker as well as being able to get into trick room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me any advice for this team as I'd like to get into the format more, and I'd like to know what improvements I could make.

you dont need that much trick room setters 2 is nuff imo i think u should replace the trick room n hoopa for something else,also replace protect with gyro ball (on brongzong) so u can get some good dmg b4 u die there si prob more u could do but this is what i saw for now

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi!

Minor adjustments:

RE: Bronzong :bronzong:

I recommend ditching Protect and Toxic on this set in favour of Skill Swap and Explosion. Skill Swap allows Bronzong to set up Stealth Rock versus Xatu and Espeon whereas Explosion ensures you get the most out of your Trick Toom turns. Maximum attack investment is worth here to increase the damage output of Explosion and because Bronzong possesses good natural bulk anyway but if you find that you need to survive a specific attack you can tailor the EV spread accordingly. Personally, I would opt for Heatproof over Levitate to help the lead matchup versus Fire types such as Salazzle and Arcanine (and let's be real here, nobody ever EQs Bronzong anyway). Mental Herb should be used over Leftovers to prevent Taunt.

RE: Marowak :marowak-alola:

Incredibly small nitpick but unless I'm missing something Earthquake is still superior to Bonemerang due to the higher accuracy (there isn't any relevant Focus Sash/Sturdy user that Bonemerang would help against as far as I can tell). Anyhow, Low Kick is likely the preferred option in the third moveslot here overall because it has a higher chance of OHKOing Gigalith and Tyrantrum while also helping versus Curse Thick Fat Snorlax.

RE: Cresselia :cresselia:

Moonlight is not worth the trouble from my experience because you'll end up wasting your own Trick Room turns (Cresselia can't make use of TR turns itself and hard-switching into your abusers can be risky). Instead, I recommend you use Psyshock to have some means of damaging Virizion, Dragalge and Roserade in case the scenario arises where you do not need to heal up a member by using Lunar Dance (though it is often still more optimal to sacrifice Cresselia instead of wasting another turn by potentially having the opponent switch).

Major changes:

These changes focus on giving you better TR abusers.

Shaymin :shaymin: --> Machamp :machamp: / Hariyama :hariyama: / Crabominable :crabominable:

Shaymin is not a good TR abuser, to put it bluntly. Fighting is one if not the best offensive typing in RU to date and TR should certainly make use of that. Machamp and Hariyama are both great options for a Fighting type abuser because of their Guts ability which is activated by Flame Orb. Machamp is slightly stronger but Hariyama is a little slower which can come in handy in some cases (versus base speed 30s like Steelix, Slowking etc.) and somewhat bulkier on whatever defensive side you choose to invest in. Mind you, however, that it takes a turn to activate the Flame Orb so you might want to switch them in directly so that you can start attacking with Guts boosted attacks right away (Lunar Dance is also slightly unfitting because it cures the burn but what can you do). Crabominable is a personal suggestion of mine that has amazing offensive presence with Ice + Fighting STAB and Electric coverage from Iron Fist boosted Thunder Punch. Substitute eases prediction and gurantees you at least one kill.

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Crabominable @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Hammer
- Thunder Punch
- Substitute

Vikavolt :vikavolt: --> Araquanid :araquanid:

Vikavolt is an interesting option for sure and is undoubtedly a strong special attacker but its STAB combination does not convince me for it to be worth on TR. Electric in particular is likely to be taken advantage of due to nearly every team possessing a Ground type that can absorb its attacks while Bug does not grant it the best coverage alongside Electric either. It's by no means unviable but I think you've got better options to choose from. Araquanid has better defensive utility and provides the team with a Magic Coat user which helps evening the scores in case the opponent attempts to lay Spikes which are particularly annoying to a playstyle like Trick Room that can't fit removal. Splash Plate boosted Liquidation seriously messes up teams that lack a Water immunity and paves the way for Crabominable or Marowak to pick up KOs where they couldn't have before. Keep Vikavolt if you like it better but I think you'll get more utility out of Araquanid.

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic
- Magic Coat

Hoopa :hoopa: --> Aromatisse :aromatisse: / Porygon2 :porygon2:

Focus Sash Hoopa has some utility if you can prevent hazards from going up but its generally too easily picked off by priority and fails to pick up important KOs despite its high special attack stat. While it does learn Nasty Plot to boost its damage ouput, Hoopa simply lacks the bulk to make proper use of it. Aromatisse on the other hand sports reasonable bulk with a much better defensive typing in Fairy, prevents Taunt and Encore by nature of its signature ability Aroma Veil and too has access to Nasty Plot. While it does fail to overpower Steel types like Registeel you can take advantage of this by doubling out into either Marowak or the Fighting type TR abuser of your choice. Porygon2 is a more conventional pick that can set up Trick Up multiple times throughout the match thanks to its access to Recover (which unlike on Cresselia makes sense here because Download allows it to dish out some actual damage so it's much more self-sufficient). What's more, P2 has a vast coverage pool to choose from so you can make it fit your team's needs (Thunderbolt + Ice Beam is often used but STAB Tri Attack + Shadow Ball is also a reasonable choice).

Aromatisse @ Fairium Z
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Recover

Here's two games I grabbed with this version of the team and it's worked out fairly well (ladder was super dead but whatever):

Replay #1 & Replay #2

I hope you enjoy the team and if you got any questions/remarks whatsoever just fire away. Let me know how these changes work out for you! :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)