Tyranitar

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Tyranitar
HP: 100
Atk: 134
Def: 110
SpA: 95
SpD: 100
Spe: 61
Background info:
Tyranitar is just that one Pokemon whose usefulness extends far beyond the OU metagame. In GBU, this is certainly no exception - Tyranitar's incredibly massive movepool, Sand Stream ability, and combination of power and bulk allow it to perform many roles. Its excellent stats and SpDef boost from Sandstorm allow it to be extremely flexible with its EVs (which in turn makes it tough to point out a standard). I won't list out Tyranitar's movepool here (go click the link if you need it), because it's so big.

Singles Sets

Supporting Sasher
Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Crunch

This particular Tyranitar set is often seen with Substitute Garchomp, and it's not hard to see why. With Sandstorm + paralysis from Thunder Wave, Garchomp can set up Substitutes and Swords Dances with relative impunity, allowing it to ravage the opposing team. Ice Beam is excellent for taking out Ground types as they otherwise absorb the Thunder Wave, and also takes out Salamence and Dragonite. The fire move is for Steels who resist this entire moveset otherwise, and Crunch lets it threaten Lati@s, Gengar, and so on. Tyranitar is an amazing Sasher due to the fact that Sandstream can potentially eat away at opposing Focus Sashes, and also due to its large number of weaknesses.

Offensive Sasher
Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
EVs: Use Your Imagination
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam

This is what I'm currently using since I don't need the TWave support that badly. This particular TTar set focuses more on coverage. The EVs can be tweaked in however many ways you like it to be. In my case, I gave it enough bulk to survive 2 Specs Draco Meteors from Latios while having enough offense to actually hurt stuff. Some Speed is nice too.

Choice Band
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk(
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Same deal as your usual OU set really. You can invest in SDef for extra bulk. Also, most CBTars I've seen are faster than this so you may want to speed creep. Pursuit is the crux of the set here-guaranteeing a knockout on 1/3 of your opponent's team can be very devastating, but keep in mind that if you don't play this carefully, your opponent can take advantage of the choiced Pursuit and set up.

Doubles Sets:

"Standard?"

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Iron Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature / Brave Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / (+Atk, -Spd)
- Crunch / Fling / Payback
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect
I don't know what else to say for this. In doubles, Tyranitar appears to use less of its wonderful movepool. Chople Berry helps it survive weaker fighting moves...yeah I didn't need to explain this I suppose. Iron Ball is useful if you need to make it as slow as possible to guarantee the Sandstorm, and can be flung for massive damage, but Crunch is generally more reliable. Air Balloon is a lesser alternative - it helps TTar avoid Earthquakes from partner Excadrill/Garchomp/Landorus, but can be popped rather easily, so watch out.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
try iron ball + brave 0 speed for weather support in doubles / triples. almost guarantees sand set-up and gives payback ridiculous power o 3o

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i agree with muffinhead's suggestion, Tyranitar greatly benefits with Payback from going slower, and the added benefit of getting your weather up makes it well worth the reduced speed throughout the rest of the battle.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Lum Berry is an excellent choice on the doubles set, as TTar's sandstorm nullifies any sash Smeargle might hold, allowing Tyranitar to just Rock Slide for the KO, taking out both Sash and Scarf versions. In addition, Earthquake deserves mention over Low Kick. While Low Kick hits Scrafty and Rhyperior harder, Earthquake hits slightly harder on Metagross, which commonly is used to check Tyranitar, and 2HKOes 4 HP versions. It's also a spread attack, which is always useful.

Tyraniboah seems relevant for singles. I've been having success with it. Even had a couple of rage quits. Only thing different from the regular Smogon analysis is that I run mine with a Sitrus Berry.

*edit*

Here is an example of my Tyraniboah in action (along side a Rotm-Cut lead)...

Video #: 99-85554-09926 (8 turn battle)

and here's what my full set looks like...

Tyranitar @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 0 Speed
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/52 Atk/206 SpAtk
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Mine is running Ice Beam, but Thunderbolt works just as well.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
In Doubles/Triples, Tyranitar can use Ice Beam along with 148 Special Attack EVs to guarantee an OHKO on Garchomp (or a 2HKO if it's running Yache), which it can't do with an all-physical set. Ice Beam with the given EVs also 2HKOes 252 HP Hippowdon, which would otherwise take down Tyranitar easily. I've tested it, and it definitely seems worth mentioning.

How about mixed http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82790 without SR? (Sandstorm is enough vs most sashers and entry hazards aren't that important in offensive 3 vs 3) Works great for me, I love taking less than 50% from SE attacks and 2/ohko-ing in return.
I think I'll try Sitrus Berry, it would allow me to use Lefties on Scizor/Chomp/whatever I'll use in future because I want to try something else.

A Choice Specs Tyranitar can also become a major threat to some of the teams which come unprepared for it. Absorbing Will-o-Wisps and hitting them hard. Here's the set:

Choice Specs
Tyranitar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk(
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)