Project usum teambuilding workshop [closed until further notice]

Status
Not open for further replies.
sand rush excadrill balance

as requested by Hyper Zergling

this is an adaptation of a team i made during the sm zard-y meta; the original lineup being: tyranitar / z-move excadrill / ash greninja / fast sd knock m-scizor / toxapex / scarf lando-t.

as with any sand rush excadrill team, sand support was required. i went with cb tyranitar as opposed to hippowdon thanks to its ability to more readily check broken heatran (especially firium-z sets), trap or eliminate zapdos, a rising threat that acts as a roadblock for excadrill, and to generally open holes during the early-to-mid game for excadrill. looking at this core, it was blindingly obvious that a solid kartana+water spam check was required; enter av amoonguss, which is one of the most liberating changes to happen to the team thanks to the decline of zard-y (which meant no pex was needed). people also have a tendency to double from opposing koko into an offensive water anticipating your excadrill to come in, so you can use this to your advantage with a well-timed prediction and grab momentum with amoonguss. from here on out, the rest of the team was just rectifying issues i found with the sm iteration of the team, such as, but not limited to: an over-dependancy on spikes gren+tyranitar for breaking common balance cores, as matchups such as that had to be played perfectly and were often drawn-out ordeals. firium-z heatran was added to mitigate issue with toxapex cores and act as a general balance breaker+secondary steel. firium-z is cool because ladder goons never, ever earthquake heatran with lando-t when you have your own lando-t, so you can nuke them and get them out of the way for excadrill asap; furthermore, if you know it's defensive lando, just click that shit and send it packing. this is also the team's only real way to properly apply pressure to mega sableye, so try to get as much value out of it as you can vs fatter teams. baiting in gliscor to aid excadrill is also important. threw on a defensive lando-t as the team's ground resist, which is obviously mandatory with heatran+tyranitar+excadrill, and general physical sponge. went with toxic to stop the team completely folding to broken hawlucha, as with that+sand residual you can limit the damage it can do. you can also nab zapdos, m-latios, and tangrowth with toxic, aiding excadrill even further. last up, i needed some sort of speed control outside of excadrill in sand, as the team was abysmally slow. scarf protean greninja is a great fit for a multitude of reasons, such as: it revenge kills volcarona without forcing you to basically sack tyranitar, it synergises amazingly with magma storm heatran thanks to the pokemon it tends to u-turn on, and it also provides spikes, which are amazing on a team with rapid spin in usum.

~~~~~notes on the team~~~~~

the team is honestly far from perfect, but it's most certainly effective/workable in the current meta. a few threats that spring to mind are lele, especially fightium-z variants, or ones that aren't choice-locked in general, as they're nigh impossible to trap; m-pinsir is also difficult but toxic+sand+iron head from excadrill does the job. keep your eyes superpeeled for nasty plot hoopa-u, which decimates the team and is pretty much the only reason excadrill is jolly as opposed to adamant. if you're not facing many non-choiced hoopa, feel free to run adamant. you can also run stealth rock > wisp on heatran, and replace rocks with protect or u-turn on lando-t, i just have an odd penchant for wisp tran and always will do. it's important to play heatran well in a lot of matchups (which you will realise). feel free to toy about with movesets, try out z-steel driller and leftovers standard magma tran if you feel like it, but you'll struggle a hell of a lot more vs fat and m-sableye will beat the whole team at lead. have fun, and i'll be picking up a couple more requests in the near future.

when you stack weakness such as tyranitar+excadrill+landorus, builds can become very formulaic and there are a lot of tradeoffs in certain matchups depending on the water resist(s) and speed control you can choose. i just went with what made the most sense in the context of the team with amoonguss and scarf gren. have fun, and i'll be picking up a couple more requests in the near future.

sand rush excadrill balance

as requested by Hyper Zergling

this is an adaptation of a team i made during the sm zard-y meta; the original lineup being: tyranitar / z-move excadrill / ash greninja / fast sd knock m-scizor / toxapex / scarf lando-t.

as with any sand rush excadrill team, sand support was required. i went with cb tyranitar as opposed to hippowdon thanks to its ability to more readily check broken heatran (especially firium-z sets), trap or eliminate zapdos, a rising threat that acts as a roadblock for excadrill, and to generally open holes during the early-to-mid game for excadrill. looking at this core, it was blindingly obvious that a solid kartana+water spam check was required; enter av amoonguss, which is one of the most liberating changes to happen to the team thanks to the decline of zard-y (which meant no pex was needed). people also have a tendency to double from opposing koko into an offensive water anticipating your excadrill to come in, so you can use this to your advantage with a well-timed prediction and grab momentum with amoonguss. from here on out, the rest of the team was just rectifying issues i found with the sm iteration of the team, such as, but not limited to: an over-dependancy on spikes gren+tyranitar for breaking common balance cores, as matchups such as that had to be played perfectly and were often drawn-out ordeals. firium-z heatran was added to mitigate issue with toxapex cores and act as a general balance breaker+secondary steel. firium-z is cool because ladder goons never, ever earthquake heatran with lando-t when you have your own lando-t, so you can nuke them and get them out of the way for excadrill asap; furthermore, if you know it's defensive lando, just click that shit and send it packing. this is also the team's only real way to properly apply pressure to mega sableye, so try to get as much value out of it as you can vs fatter teams. baiting in gliscor to aid excadrill is also important. threw on a defensive lando-t as the team's ground resist, which is obviously mandatory with heatran+tyranitar+excadrill, and general physical sponge. went with toxic to stop the team completely folding to broken hawlucha, as with that+sand residual you can limit the damage it can do. you can also nab zapdos, m-latios, and tangrowth with toxic, aiding excadrill even further. last up, i needed some sort of speed control outside of excadrill in sand, as the team was abysmally slow. scarf protean greninja is a great fit for a multitude of reasons, such as: it revenge kills volcarona without forcing you to basically sack tyranitar, it synergises amazingly with magma storm heatran thanks to the pokemon it tends to u-turn on, and it also provides spikes, which are amazing on a team with rapid spin in usum.

~~~~~notes on the team~~~~~

the team is honestly far from perfect, but it's most certainly effective/workable in the current meta. a few threats that spring to mind are lele, especially fightium-z variants, or ones that aren't choice-locked in general, as they're nigh impossible to trap; m-pinsir is also difficult but toxic+sand+iron head from excadrill does the job. keep your eyes superpeeled for nasty plot hoopa-u, which decimates the team and is pretty much the only reason excadrill is jolly as opposed to adamant. if you're not facing many non-choiced hoopa, feel free to run adamant. you can also run stealth rock > wisp on heatran, and replace rocks with protect or u-turn on lando-t, i just have an odd penchant for wisp tran and always will do. it's important to play heatran well in a lot of matchups (which you will realise). feel free to toy about with movesets, try out z-steel driller and leftovers standard magma tran if you feel like it, but you'll struggle a hell of a lot more vs fat and m-sableye will beat the whole team at lead. have fun, and i'll be picking up a couple more requests in the near future.

when you stack weakness such as tyranitar+excadrill+landorus, builds can become very formulaic and there are a lot of tradeoffs in certain matchups depending on the water resist(s) and speed control you can choose. i just went with what made the most sense in the context of the team with amoonguss and scarf gren. have fun, and i'll be picking up a couple more requests in the near future.
Thanks! I will definitely be giving this a shot. I do have on question though; what EV spread (full SpD as I've seen from XY or full Def to deal with Kartana?) and moves do I put on AV Amoonguss? There is currently no SM analysis for it, so I am not entirely sure.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks! I will definitely be giving this a shot. I do have on question though; what EV spread (full SpD as I've seen from XY or full Def to deal with Kartana?) and moves do I put on AV Amoonguss? There is currently no SM analysis for it, so I am not entirely sure.
If you click on the team there is a Pokepaste. I posted it here to help find it:

https://pokepast.es/6c1f2443a58769cc

Mega Medicham CB Weavile Balance

requested by axdiaz00
Here’s the Weavile team that I built with my friend King Kdot. The team started around the ORAS core of Weavile + Mega Medicham, which is still effective in the current metagame. Weavile weakens/removes lefties from Clefable for Medicham and can trap psychics like Mew and Lele that annoy Medi. Medicham pressures Weavile switch-ins such as Mega Scizor and Magearna, allowing Weav to clean late game. Ferrothorn + Mantine forms a nice defensive core that handles Koko, Greninja, Heatran, Volcarona, etc. and provides hazard removal for Weavile. At this point the team didn’t have a reliable Zygarde answer, so bulky Landorus was chosen as the scarfer. The EV spread outspeeds timid Mega Zam (and +1 adamant Zygarde). Tapu Koko fit nicely in the last slot, checking Mega Pinsir and Tornadus T as well as forming a volt-turn core with scarf Lando to get Medi and Weav in as much as possible. Physical Z move Koko works well since it can potentially remove AV Magearna for Weavile. At this point the team struggled with some common threats such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Lopunny, and shift gear Magearna. We decided to make Ferrothorn chople berry w/ gyro ball and hp fire to compensate. Leftovers aren’t missed too badly since Mantine acts as the primary Greninja switch in.​

Last edited:
Mega Medicham CB Weavile Balance

requested by axdiaz00
Here’s the Weavile team that I built with my friend King Kdot. The team started around the ORAS core of Weavile + Mega Medicham, which is still effective in the current metagame. Weavile weakens/removes lefties from Clefable for Medicham and can trap psychics like Mew and Lele that annoy Medi. Medicham pressures Weavile switch-ins such as Mega Scizor and Magearna, allowing Weav to clean late game. Ferrothorn + Mantine forms a nice defensive core that handles Koko, Greninja, Heatran, Volcarona, etc. and provides hazard removal for Weavile. At this point the team didn’t have a reliable Zygarde answer, so bulky Landorus was chosen as the scarfer. The EV spread outspeeds timid Mega Zam (and +1 adamant Zygarde). Tapu Koko fit nicely in the last slot, checking Mega Pinsir and Tornadus T as well as forming a volt-turn core with scarf Lando to get Medi and Weav in as much as possible. Physical Z move Koko works well since it can potentially remove AV Magearna for Weavile. At this point the team struggled with some common threats such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Lopunny, and shift gear Magearna. We decided to make Ferrothorn chople berry w/ gyro ball and hp fire to compensate. Leftovers aren’t missed too badly since Mantine acts as the primary Greninja switch in.​
Yo, thanks for the team!

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys loving your work, I've been trying to build a team around OTR Staka and Bulu taking advantage of the Grassy terrain with Staka, with mixed success, and I'm curious to see what you guys can do with the core:

OTR Staka core

If possible I'd like to keep the LO on Staka, as the gyro boost comes in really handy, and the recoil is reduced by the grassy terrain.

Thanks in advance, KUTGW!

Edit: just a quick request to please avoid full TR if possible.

Requesting team around staraptor

5F4C4E38-F7A9-4C4D-ACE6-76ACD3F52F95.gif

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Azumarill
latest.jpg

To be honest I absolutely love Azumarill, nothing gives me more joy than watching blue egg smack huge intimidating monsters with grace and force of a train hitting a sheep going mach 5.
Azumarill (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
Azumarill's main job is to set up and sweep the opposing team, with Aqua Jet and Play Rough being the main STAB moves, Knock Off is there to help ease the match up between Azumarill's main counters in Ferrothorn and Toxapex, finally Belly Drum is obvious setup move. I would like if Azumarill was built into a bulkier team rather than an Hyper Offense Team.

Last edited:
Hi! If I'm not mistaken, there isn't any Kartana team here with it actually being the focus mon yet. If that's the case, lemme help fix that:

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

From SM meme to USUM S-tier, Kartana is one of the best offense mons in OU right now. With Kartana ideally being the focal point it'd be much appreciated if it's the sweeper set. Set can be pretty flexible with Grassium, Darkinium; as always, up to builder discretion. Archetype can be anything, too. Thanks again!

Could someone please build me a team around the Tapu Koko+Kyurem-B core?

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Taunt / Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Freeze Shock

Tapu Koko U-turns out on common switch-ins such as Tangrowth or Mega Venusaur and brings in Kyurem-B to do the wallbreaking stuff.

Could someone please build me a team around the Tapu Koko+Kyurem-B core?

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Taunt / Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Freeze Shock

Tapu Koko U-turns out on common switch-ins such as Tangrowth or Mega Venusaur and brings in Kyurem-B to do the wallbreaking stuff.
There’s already a team with this core posted

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
I would like to request a team based around Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound.

hoopa-unbound.gif

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Description:
With a massive 170 special attack and excellent dual STAB, Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound seems like it would be a fearsome special wallbreaker. I would like to see a team that takes advantage of the raw power this pokemon has.

Requesting a team around Max Defense Tapu Lele (preferably semi-stall or fat balance, but offense can work too)

Preferably something that can pressure stall and harass steels.

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock

Last edited:
I would like to request a team based around Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound.

View attachment 102245
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Description:
With a massive 170 special attack and excellent dual STAB, Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound seems like it would be a fearsome special wallbreaker. I would like to see a team that takes advantage of the raw power this pokemon has.
Yeah I want this too.

Requesting a team around rest talk zygarde

B11561BF-9535-44A9-BF8D-247CF699F634.png

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 192 HP / 108 Def / 176 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Thousand Arrows
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Dance

The rest talk variant of zygarde provides a bulkier alternative to normal dragon dance with reliable recovery and a method of protection from toxic. In exchange for rest and sleep talk, zygarde loses coverage moves, which causes it to struggle against mons like bulu and tangrowth.

Requesting a balanced team around Mega Zard X

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Zard X is a deadly wallbreaker on its own. It has very little switch-ins in the tier. Also has a good defensive typing that lets it switch in into many things.

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Band Tyranitar + Keldeo
Requested by malomyotismon
1519354274779.png1519354287356.png1519354327461.png1519354339147.png1519354301246.png1519354309120.png
Old time effective core here centered around Tar trapping Latis for Keldeo to go in. Band Tyranitar is a fierce hitter which many teams have no real switch-ins to, mostly relying on Defensive Landorus to take its hits. I decided to make Keldeo specs contrary to scarf in your import because I feel it would be able to do a lot more in battle. I feel like scarf Keldeo in the current meta is way too weak and find that in most games it can just be a dead slot while using Specs or Z can offer so much more potential. Standard moves with HP Poison in the last slot to bop AV Bulus on the switch. The core still fills the same role with Keld being specs, so anyways onto the rest of the team. Deciding I wanted a defogger that can also play an offensive role I put Tornadus-T on the squad. Z Fly to lure in defensive mons and also take out weakened pexes is nice for Keldeo. Hurricane, Knock Off, Defog for the moves with either U-Turn or Superpower depending on what you prefer. Next, I wanted to add a scarfer seeing as I had made Keldeo Specs, so I put defensive scarf Landorus-T on the team. Filling the role as a Pinsir check/lure with rock slide and a solid form of momentum in u-turn, scarf Lando is always lovely for a mon like Keldeo to have. The team was lacking any real solid defensive backbone, so I decided to add Clefable. A nice stop to cheese like Hawlucha and Zygarde, Clef does the job nicely. Calm Mind also gives my team a substantial win con, with TWave to help neuter mons like Lele and the Zards so they can be trapped or picked off by Tar and Keld. Now I needed a rocker and a sturdy Ash Gren/Tapu Koko check, so I added Ferrothorn. SR, Leech Seed, Power Whip are standard, with Protect to be able to scout vs. Choiced Lele, and also help to heal more with leech seed. Well, theres the team, a bit annoyed by fatter pex builds but that's just going to be the case when using Keldeo, hope you enjoy!

CLICK ON POKEMON ABOVE FOR IMPORT

Attachments

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
-------------
zodiac shit

requested by woofmasterarf and OverlordDerp
-------------
i felt inspired to make this team after logging a decent amount of time using a gliscor + pex team i saw flamingvictini use in spl. for whatever reason that team really resonated with me, and it was the first team i had fun playing with in usm ou (i even beat tricking in g1 of our ost series while using it). the archetype isnt massively varied; note that abr brought a similar team-style with his build of mega scizor, gliscor, ferrothorn, clefable, tornadus-t, heatran later in spl, and those two teams now pretty much sit as the benchmarks for this type of style. however, despite that i thought i might as well throw my hat in the ring when i found this core in the shop. gliscor + pex is a highly potent balance core, with gliscor especially proving its worth in the current spl (7 uses - 100% winrate). the team is ordered the way it is for the aesthetic, but i'll talk about it on order of how it was built.

as soon as i saw the core i knew that i'd be changing gliscor from defog to swords dance. defog gliscor is really only usable on stall, and that wasn't the route i intended to take this team. i opted for facade as the secondary attack due to its ability to deal greater damage to pokemon such as landorus-t, tapu bulu, tornadus-t, zapdos, and also opposing gliscor. the evs are standard, with the heavy speed investment allowing gliscor to reliably check heatran, taking pressure off of toxapex. toxapex remained standard. toxic spikes is the best option for this type of team as not only does it chip away at potential gliscor switchins, but it also provides additional hazard pressure, an important facet for a team without removal. ferrothorn is a natural partner to the gliscor + pex core, providing a sturdy electric resist, but also a check to psychics and dragons. ferrothorn sets spikes and fits perfectly with the hazard-stacking goals of this team. i opted for knock off in the flex slot in order to rid zapdos and heatran of their item, however, toxic is another viable option which can catch pokemon like mega charizard-x and volcarona, while also pressuring zapdos. after the core of gliscor + pex + ferro is constructed, these archetypes usually look to pack a fighting-resist. usual options are clefable and mew, however, since both of those had already been done with abr and fv's teams i decided to go with reuniclus instead. beside being a fighting resist, reuniclus can be a fun win-condition when used in conjunction with all the hazard pressure that this team exerts. after some deliberation i opted to run iron defense in the 4th slot since you're rarely going to be trying to win until quite late in the game, at which time iron defense can make reuniclus almost impossible to break through for opposing balance/offense teams. next i needed a kartana check, so tornadus-t slotted right in, able to chip away at pokemon like heatran, zapdos, landorus-t while also checking other threats like tapu bulu and mega scizor. heatran occupies the last slot, setting up stealth rock and being the main counterplay to mega mawile, another sizable threat to this archetype. spd heatran also adds a backup check to sg magearna, which can sometimes get out of hand if ferrothorn has been tasked to check a specs/zmove tapu koko or something like that.

i hope you enjoy ٩(๑•◡-๑)۶

Mega Medi + ClefPexSteela

requested by Roseybear

The normal mon you add with pex steela is clefable but I didn't wanna be too basic and imo those teams get too pressured by stuff like band tar and heatran. So instead of the standard clef I chose to use sp def hippo since it provides good role compression by checking tran,koko,lopunny,zygarde, as well as providing a ground and stealth rock. Then since I had a solid backbone I wanted a core of breakers so mega medicham and specs ash gren were added. Uturn on ash gren because you click it when they have a bulu or like a toxapex you just uturn and go into medicham and collect a kill. Defog was still needed as well as a scarfer and something that appreciated stuff like landorus being worn down as well as spikes being up so scarf lando t was added since it fit the criteria.

Fly Z Torn T VoltTurn

requested by DiegoP

Ok so with torn-t I realized it'd fit great on volt turn and I went with taunt because taunting stuff like lead drill and fatter stuff like pex and gliscor is really nice. Then I wanted a solid defogger to keep rocks off so torn can come in without being punished by rocks so I chose defog zor which also helps form a nice volt turn core. After that I slapped on everyones favorite mon landorus-t because it checks so much provides a ground resist as well as stealth rock as well as provides more uturn support for torn t. From there I realized I was super weak to ash gren and koko as well as different magearna variants so I dug a little deeper and added gastrodon. I had all this volturn and a nice solid backbone so I chose CB hoopa as the last member since even though I had torn-t the matchup with fatter teams was still a struggle.
Love these teams. Sorry teams never lose.
Band Tyranitar + Keldeo
Requested by malomyotismon
View attachment 103022View attachment 103023View attachment 103027View attachment 103028View attachment 103024View attachment 103025
Old time effective core here centered around Tar trapping Latis for Keldeo to go in. Band Tyranitar is a fierce hitter which many teams have no real switch-ins to, mostly relying on Defensive Landorus to take its hits. I decided to make Keldeo specs contrary to scarf in your import because I feel it would be able to do a lot more in battle. I feel like scarf Keldeo in the current meta is way too weak and find that in most games it can just be a dead slot while using Specs or Z can offer so much more potential. Standard moves with HP Poison in the last slot to bop AV Bulus on the switch. The core still fills the same role with Keld being specs, so anyways onto the rest of the team. Deciding I wanted a defogger that can also play an offensive role I put Tornadus-T on the squad. Z Fly to lure in defensive mons and also take out weakened pexes is nice for Keldeo. Hurricane, Knock Off, Defog for the moves with either U-Turn or Superpower depending on what you prefer. Next, I wanted to add a scarfer seeing as I had made Keldeo Specs, so I put defensive scarf Landorus-T on the team. Filling the role as a Pinsir check/lure with rock slide and a solid form of momentum in u-turn, scarf Lando is always lovely for a mon like Keldeo to have. The team was lacking any real solid defensive backbone, so I decided to add Clefable. A nice stop to cheese like Hawlucha and Zygarde, Clef does the job nicely. Calm Mind also gives my team a substantial win con, with TWave to help neuter mons like Lele and the Zards so they can be trapped or picked off by Tar and Keld. Now I needed a rocker and a sturdy Ash Gren/Tapu Koko check, so I addedFerrothorn. SR, Leech Seed, Power Whip are standard, with Protect to be able to scout vs. Choiced Lele, and also help to heal more with leech seed. Well, theres the team, a bit annoyed by fatter pex builds but that's just going to be the case when using Keldeo, hope you enjoy!

CLICK ON POKEMON ABOVE FOR IMPORT
Nice throwback to oras
SD Mawile + SD Rocks Chomp

requested by ℓσℓι + Thy lord Mega Sceptile
So with mawile I wanted to pair it with some offensive rocker that checked heatran and put a ton of pressure on landorus t so I used SD rocks dragon z chomp which hasn't been used much lately but its still super good imo. Since i wasnt using landorus and I didnt wanna be super weak to physical attackers and didn't wanna use celesteela I used volt switch phy def zapdos. This checks stuff like lopunny and kartana, as well as tapu bulu. It also gives me defog and with volt switch you lure in ttar and can volt into a breaker of your choice. From there i wanted another steel type since mawile doesn't really check lele and i also wanted something for tapu koko and ash greninja so ferro did all of this + gave me spikes. Thunder wave is for luring volcarona since that mon is always a threat but it also lures zard x which is nice. At this point I didnt really have any form of special pressure and blacephelon looked super annoying so specs greninja with ice beam was added to lure av tapu bulu since it looked annoying. Last mon I added was scarf lando t since this mon just does so much. It provided me a scarfer + a defogger as well as a blanket check to physical attackers and some more volt turn to bring in my breakers.​
Thanks for making this team. The matchup is almost always winnable and I was able to peak with this team.

Mod Edit: please don't triple post, you can reply to several messages in a single post.​

Last edited by a moderator:

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
SD Kartana

requested by Gareth de Voir

sd kart is one of the best breakers of the USUM metagame. it's arguably the single biggest threat to any fat/defensive team made atm and forces specific pokemon to be used in order to not be completely dismantled by it. this is where mega tyranitar comes in; it is able to get rocks up against most defoggers(the only one that stops it is really m-scizor, which is uncommon and still fears fire punch) as well as pursuit trap possible roadblocks to kartana(zapdos, torn, amoonguss etc). it also offers valuable defensive utility, sporting monstrous bulk and useful resistances as well as pursuit support for threats like heatran, choiced lele, zapdos etc. the ev spread is pretty simple, with max attack making its edges and pursuits hurt as much as possible. the speed outruns CB tyranitar, mega mawile and some slower tapu bulu and heatran spreads with the leftovers going to HP.

shuca tapu koko is a great offensive pivot that can provide kartana with setup opportunities or tyranitar with pursuit victims. it's also one of the most reliable hawlucha checks in the tier since poison jab is rare and roost allows it to stay healthy. shuca allows it to check zygarde and pinsir(even switching into the latter) with a lot more ease while luring and eliminating mindgames against scarfed lando-t. the ev spread allows it to take +2 stone edge from hawlucha after rocks damage and outspeed weavile.

the next slot has 2 possible sets; the one in the importable is protect heatran but wisp heatran is also fine. the point of protect is to be able to check fightinium z tapu lele, which would otherwise be a huge threat(although tyranitar does check as well if the z crystal isnt used on it). it also scouts against ash gren, scarf lando, cb tar, specs koko and more, allowing for big momentum swings. the extra leftovers recovery is also very appreciated since this team doesn't have a tapu bulu, as well as the extra chip on stuff like zygarde. wisp on the other hand can burn something like a zygarde or a tyranitar on the switch and ease your time against them. the spread on protect allows it to tank z-focus blast through protect into a regular focus blast from lele, outruns jolly bisharp and anything below and the spatk OHKOs offensive heatran every time(and a couple other uses, sth with hippo and zygarde that i cant recall rn)

bulky scarf lando offers fantastic role compression; it is able to defensively check a myriad of things, including zygarde and lopunny, 2 big threats to this build. it's not the most reliable defogger but the team won't offer too many setting opportunities. the evs outrun mega alakazam and zygarde at +1 while making hp ice always 2hko max hp landorus through leftovers. the defensive evs tank mawile's play rough into sucker punch after rocks in the most efficient way.

av amoonguss rounds this out by being the team's main greninja/koko SI/scout, whilst also switching into and beating most kartana sets(besides SD smart strike+rocks chip). it also lures in heatran and removes it, which could otherwise cause problems. you could run double spore in place of stomping tantrum and one of giga drain/sludge bomb, or even toxic instead of one of the two to still lure heatran, but i believe av fits best.

overall, neat team. the counterplay against psychics isn't the best and zyg can be problematic but there's definitely the potential and room to outplay.
enjoy :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)