Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only trouble with Curse is his coverage, far too many things are 4x resist or immune to Grass, Poison and Ground, or a combination of. That and he's still susceptible to Burn, which is everywhere, and not a bad idea since he's immune to Toxic and Leech Seed anyway. It's why I enjoy mixed Growth sets more which are harder to wall. Get a turn in Sun somewhere to get +2 in both and you get mixed Edgequake coverage with Earthquake and HP Rock. PEtal Blizzard is more accurate than Power Whip and has better PP, so its a far safer option.

The only trouble with Curse is his coverage, far too many things are 4x resist or immune to Grass, Poison and Ground, or a combination of. That and he's still susceptible to Burn, which is everywhere, and not a bad idea since he's immune to Toxic and Leech Seed anyway. It's why I enjoy mixed Growth sets more which are harder to wall. Get a turn in Sun somewhere to get +2 in both and you get mixed Edgequake coverage with Earthquake and HP Rock. PEtal Blizzard is more accurate than Power Whip and has better PP, so its a far safer option.
You bring up a good point. Clorophyl Venusaur in Sun is just a much better sweeper than Mega Venusaur. Mega Venusaur is much better suited to a defensive role.

A support/Mixed Wall mega venusaur for a Stall team could be pretty great.

Venusaur@Venasuarite
Thick Fat
Calm/Careful 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
~ Knock Off/Giga Drain
~ Leech Seed/Roar/Toxic/Reflect/Protect/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder
~ Toxic/Roar/Leech Seed/Reflect/Protect/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder
~ Giga Drain/Synthesis/Leech Seed

With support moves like Knock Off, Reflect, Toxic, and Roar, Venusaur can alleviate a stall teams problems with powerful physical attackers like MLuke and MPinsir, Knock off crucial items, wear down walls, and phaze. The first slot is to make sure you aren't taunt bait, the second and third slots are your support moves, and the last slot is your form of recovery. Protect is there to scout and stall a turn away to rack up Leech Seed and/or Toxic Damage. The slots as well as the EVs/Nature are extremely flexible, I just wanted to get a support set out there.

Why don't people run subsitute on mega venusaur? I think with Synthesis and leach seed with Toxic and subsitute would work well? Just wondering xD, tho I know it's probally not that great.

Why don't people run subsitute on mega venusaur? I think with Synthesis and leach seed with Toxic and subsitute would work well? Just wondering xD, tho I know it's probally not that great.
That's not a bad idea actually, the Venusaur I run is:

(Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

And as is the only things I'm scared to send him out against are Talonflame, Scarmory, Mega Pinsir/Heracross, and Mega Alakazam. Anything else cannot seem to take this guy down. (Though I'm probably missing someone besides something that is boosted or if they wait it out 20 turns. I imagine swapping Sludge Bomb with Substitute would give people headaches, I might have to try it.

I love it when people sit there are try to hit him with flamethrower/ice beam over and over and over again, it really brings a smile to my face.

That's not a bad idea actually, the Venusaur I run is:

(Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

And as is the only things I'm scared to send him out against are Talonflame, Scarmory, Mega Pinsir/Heracross, and Mega Alakazam. Anything else cannot seem to take this guy down. (Though I'm probably missing someone besides something that is boosted or if they wait it out 20 turns. I imagine swapping Sludge Bomb with Substitute would give people headaches, I might have to try it.

I love it when people sit there are try to hit him with flamethrower/ice beam over and over and over again, it really brings a smile to my face.
If you want to run subsitute I would remove leach seed instead, that way you still have sludge bomb so grass doesn't wall the crap out of you. Lol. I find subsitute would be awesome considering Mega Venusaur is hard to take out. tho it's merely a Suggestion, and I'm not sure how sub works on him, and if it's Viable or not.

If you're going to run Substitute its to stay safe from status, run it with Sleep Powder, otherwise without Leftovers or Leech Seed you'll simply run dry without any breathing space. Simply use Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb after that and stay away from Steel types pretty much. Overall though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, if I want to run a special tank megasaur with synthesis, would it be a good idea to run giga drain or a more powerful move like leaf storm?

Is there anything that venusaur can really benefit from outspeeding? I was running enough speed evs (100) to outspeed jolly Azumarill and most Defensive Rotom. Is there anything that I should really be aiming to outspeed or should I drop the speed evs altogether?

I was running this but its a bit all over the place at the moment

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 100 Spd / 244 HP / 80 SDef / 84 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

If you plan on sticking around with Synthesis then Leaf Storm is the last attack you'd want to use. Petal Dance is powerful but you get locked into it and then there's confusion. That leaves you with Energy Ball and Giga Drain.

If you plan on sticking around with Synthesis then Leaf Storm is the last attack you'd want to use. Petal Dance is powerful but you get locked into it and then there's confusion. That leaves you with Energy Ball and Giga Drain.
Energy ball is a little bit more powerful but I think with Venusaurs bulk and the lack of leftovers Giga Drain is the superior choice in most cases especially with Sythesis low pp

Is there anything that venusaur can really benefit from outspeeding? I was running enough speed evs (100) to outspeed jolly Azumarill and most Defensive Rotom. Is there anything that I should really be aiming to outspeed or should I drop the speed evs altogether?
Who runs jolly azumarill? I wouldn't bother with speed at all really, Venusaur's supposed to take a hit and then retaliate with giga drain and get the health back. Maybe you'd want to speed creep other uninvested venusaurs but that's all I'd bother with myself.

Who runs jolly azumarill? I wouldn't bother with speed at all really, Venusaur's supposed to take a hit and then retaliate with giga drain and get the health back. Maybe you'd want to speed creep other uninvested venusaurs but that's all I'd bother with myself.
Jolly Azumarill with belly drum outspeeds defensive rotom and knocks it out with play rough then sweeps. but yeah I suppose the speed isn't necessary thanks to Venusaurs healing

8 Spd EVs isn't a horrible idea since you share a tier with Mamoswine, Dragonite, Togekiss and other Venusaur. Do most Togekiss go Timid or bulky?

If you're going to run Synthesis I think Energy Ball may benefit in the long run with higher power and the occasional SpD drop to your enemy.

I was strongly considering megavenusaur because...well...i love venusaur. but im a noob and have merely tried to come up with a team that doesnt share weaknesses.

megavenusaur, aegislash, charizard, rotomW, haxorus, florges

I think the general idea wasnt so much stall, but just a lot of bulk (wich i know char doesnt follow that)

What has anyone else found so far with this magnificent beast? experiences?

I was strongly considering megavenusaur because...well...i love venusaur. but im a noob and have merely tried to come up with a team that doesnt share weaknesses.

megavenusaur, aegislash, charizard, rotomW, haxorus, florges

I think the general idea wasnt so much stall, but just a lot of bulk (wich i know char doesnt follow that)

What has anyone else found so far with this magnificent beast? experiences?
Don't use regular charizard. Ever.

As for cores, heatran and mandibuzz make a great starting defensive core.

Alright before I make an ass of myself I read 3 pages of the forum, not the full nine. I have read these smogon forums for too long now, but today I joined mainly because the lot of you appear misinformed. Venusaur does not learn STUN SPORE, I read bulbapedia and seribii and was even misinformed by being told that bulbs learns it in FR/LG little update for you guys the breeding websites disagree! so whoever was the genious who figured it out, let me know already!

Alright before I make an ass of myself I read 3 pages of the forum, not the full nine. I have read these smogon forums for too long now, but today I joined mainly because the lot of you appear misinformed. Venusaur does not learn STUN SPORE, I read bulbapedia and seribii and was even misinformed by being told that bulbs learns it in FR/LG little update for you guys the breeding websites disagree! so whoever was the genious who figured it out, let me know already!
ok why would you want to run Stun Spore when Sleep Powder exists. if you wanna spread paralysis and your a horrible person, Klefki and Thunderus-I are your go to guys.

I understand, I have a spore user already first of all. Venusaur is much more bulky if it can outspeed its threats using synthesis and paralysis, with sleep they can potentially wake up after 2 moves and paralysis doesn't end unless prepared for; which through my expiriance people struggle to do. basically imo sleep power fails to save venusaur as well and stun spore. thunderus is cool but i prefer not to use legendaries because i like to breed IV's onto pokemon. I'll end with my final point being fuck klefki, that stupid god damn key chain, it couldn't possibly look any more terrible. I built mega absol entirely for people who use that sack of garbadge.

I understand, I have a spore user already first of all. Venusaur is much more bulky if it can outspeed its threats using synthesis and paralysis, with sleep they can potentially wake up after 2 moves and paralysis doesn't end unless prepared for; which through my expiriance people struggle to do. basically imo sleep power fails to save venusaur as well and stun spore. thunderus is cool but i prefer not to use legendaries because i like to breed IV's onto pokemon. I'll end with my final point being fuck klefki, that stupid god damn key chain, it couldn't possibly look any more terrible. I built mega absol entirely for people who use that sack of garbadge.
Then you're going to hate heatran then, and genesect, and landorus......

There's nothing wrong with using legendaries if they aren't banned, what is wrong is not using something just because it's in a particular category.

Your wrong actually, everyone you just listed has a x4 weakness. Besides that i generally play just with my buddies and we are all OU, but online i have yet to struggle against uber teams. imo klefki belongs in ubers, but now we are off topic. How does the bulbs get stun spore. Bumpppppppppppppp

Wow this kid, is still.... off topic. I never said those legendaires were bad, your actually only projecting your own presumptions of them; by talking about them in a negative way. You have only proven your own concerns about them, ohh you naive child. Sarcasm just doesn't suit you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)