Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right and all knowing master, I am only a child (serious, how old are you?)

End of this discussion

Personally I feel he walls the hell out of any grass type not named roserade carrying extrasensory or ferrothorn while lacking hp fire.

Everything's been said one way or another about his capabilities and uses and whatnot. One of the best defensives megas and overall just a good pokemon.

Last edited:
Gustavo I hear you, but I'm not trying the fill the void of a para user. I think grass would just be a great addition to my team, that and I can cleverly nickname him somedatpurp or murrahjane just for the lawls. BSME I think your getting the wrong idea of me, the continued sarcasm is just telling me your upset. Its just a forum where I can express my bias on pokemon, and even get your perspective (which I appreciate). So suck it up, buttercup.

So is mega-venasaur only good in stall? or can his defensive nature can be taken advantage of in a different way? see what im really curious about is moveset, and pokemon to team with him. ive heard stall (not over interested in a stall deck) and weather (can be a side thing but not a focus)

edit: i know this is noob of me but is there anywhere i can ask about team compositions? i mean more then simply rating a team. i cant find anything in these forums for that.

His defenses and movesets suggest it but he can fulfill the role of a tank that dishes out hits and has passive recovery in the form of giga drain (since he can't carry leftovers that is huge).

Some will suggest that synthesis is more reliable in terms of healing but you will sacrifice coverage. It's all up to you really.

Edit: the RMT section of the forum should help with that

Last edited:
What do you guys think of this stall build?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Protect
- Synthesis

Protect would be a whole lot better if it had leftovers, but since it doesn't, you could potentially use a different move there. Leech Seed, Sludge Bomb, ect.

But it looks good enough.
Thanks for the advice, I think i will try switching out protect for something.

What do you guys think of this stall build?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Protect
- Synthesis
try Knock off over Giga drain and Leech seed over protect.

Giga drain isn't good recovery, or damage for that matter, Knock off offers alot of utility for stalling , removing left overs/damage boosting items and it benefits not only venusaur, but the rest of your team

try Knock off over Giga drain and Leech seed over protect.

Giga drain isn't good recovery, or damage for that matter, Knock off offers alot of utility for stalling , removing left overs/damage boosting items and it benefits not only venusaur, but the rest of your team
Only problem with switching out Giga Drain for Knock off is taunt users. Giga drain has 75 base power (Plus STAB) vs 20 from Knock off. I will consider it though.

Definitely going to try leech seed instead of protect

Only problem with switching out Giga Drain for Knock off is taunt users. Giga drain has 75 base power (Plus STAB) vs 20 from Knock off. I will consider it though.

Definitely going to try leech seed instead of protect
Not this gen. Knock off got buffed to 65 base power plus a 1.5x boost if it knocks of the item. So that's a 97.5 base power attack, only a little less powerful than STAB Giga Drain

Though Mega Venusaur has a base 122 special attack, and only base 100 attack. Just because it's a stall set doesn't mean you can't use that. Giga Drain isn't reliable recovery, but it is more powerful than Knock Off, and also make MegaSaur much better at countering bulky waters. And without leftovers, any form of recovery is appreciated.

Knock Off is still a good attack though, so that could be used instead of Protect, but I don't like the idea of removing the STAB from a pokemon with over 120 base special attack, defensive or not.

Venusaur has access to Block, so would a Leech Seed/Sleep Power/Block/Filler set be viable?
Filler sets are never viable.

The main problem with block is that you usually end up blocking the opponent's counter. For example, what are you going to do if you end up blocking ferrothorn? It's immune to both your status moves and one of your stabs and 4x resists the other stab. Your set is just a free setup move for it and that's a bad thing indeed. My experience with block is that it's used to trap something that can't hurt the user, setup boosts, then sweep, and that's not a very good strategy to begin with for the reason given above.

PS. My phone autocorrects ferrothorn as 'ferret born' which I think is pretty funny

Last edited:
I really like Venasaur, it's always been my favorite of the three gen 1 starters (Even if it was overshadowed :( ) and it's only been getting better. I've been using this mega venasaur set:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpDef
Nature: Calm
- Sleep Powder
- Giga drain
- Sludge bomb
- Hp fire

And have had a lot of success. It took away my breloom and azumarill problems, and can tank quite a few hits. Sleep powder the first turn, then begin whittling away at the enemy's hp with surprisingly decent special attack. I'll be tweaking it as I go along (May invest a bit more in defense, as I've noticed it takes a bit too much) but it's been the decider of quite a few matches for me. Now that I look at it, this looks exactly like a chlorophyll set O.O.

After playing quite a lot and experimenting a few things I'm secure to say Venusaur is my most reliable Pokémon. I can't build a team without it. It's just that good.

That being said, I in doubt as to what grass-type attack to run:

Venusaur (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Energy Ball hits harder but Giga Drain seems to give back some of the life I miss from Leftovers. What are your thoughts?

Giga Drain still does it's job of hitting bulky water/ground types. The recovery is unreliable, but there have been a few incidents where it has saved me, especially when recovering from damage from Jolly, +6 Azumarill or Pain Split Rotom-W.

So I prefer Giga Drain, but I can understand why people would want more fire power.

ive enjoyed the time ive played mega venusaur online. Anyone else tend to use him as a special sweeper rather then a straight up wall? he has a lot of natural bulk and i find unless its a SE attack (wich you can usually predict) he will survive and counter.

I normally run
-giga drain
-sludge bomb
-hp fire
-uncertain thus far ive switched around a lot.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wait, are people actually using sets without Synthesis??

I guess... I'm using mine as a tank rather than a pivot, but still, MegaSaur needs recovery!

New to me! I might try it instead of Giga drain then thanks
even better news, or nightmare for stall team in the long term

knock off does *1.5 damage when you manage to knock off the item(thus bars mega evos), like we are not having enough reasons to take Venusaur just yet.

Though Mega Venusaur has a base 122 special attack, and only base 100 attack. Just because it's a stall set doesn't mean you can't use that. Giga Drain isn't reliable recovery, but it is more powerful than Knock Off, and also make MegaSaur much better at countering bulky waters. And without leftovers, any form of recovery is appreciated.

Knock Off is still a good attack though, so that could be used instead of Protect, but I don't like the idea of removing the STAB from a pokemon with over 120 base special attack, defensive or not.
This is part of the reason I somehow resist using Megasaur as a pure stall player. Seriously while it is almost the go-to mega for stalling (in some cases you may want scizor, I dunno), Megasaur is nowhere designed to be stall mon(as least not for my stalling style). It is tank which is >100% viable to be used offensively, and it does not possess the utility of similar mons like Heatran and Tyranitar(both got SR, the former a nice burn inducer and the later with weather), the only reason you only see it in stall teams is because people prefer using their mega slot for strong attackers in case they by any mean want to play offensive.

Wait, are people actually using sets without Synthesis??

I guess... I'm using mine as a tank rather than a pivot, but still, MegaSaur needs recovery!
perhaps i dont know what im doing but everytime ive ran it, no matter how i spread it, its underwhelming. does nothing but prolong the inevitable death, if that.

rather ive used him as a bulky way to check many threats. EQ for heatran, giga drain for azumarill, sludge bomb for fairies, hp fire for ferrothorn/scizor/skarmory. being able to hit so many common pokemon in the meta and being able to survive a hit is important. but whenever i sub one of those out for synthesis i find i dont have the coverage i want, and synthesis never seems to help venu win.

perhaps i dont know what im doing but everytime ive ran it, no matter how i spread it, its underwhelming. does nothing but prolong the inevitable death, if that.

rather ive used him as a bulky way to check many threats. EQ for heatran, giga drain for azumarill, sludge bomb for fairies, hp fire for ferrothorn/scizor/skarmory. being able to hit so many common pokemon in the meta and being able to survive a hit is important. but whenever i sub one of those out for synthesis i find i dont have the coverage i want, and synthesis never seems to help venu win.
What makes M-Venasaur so great isn't just his offensive capabilities, but his defensive stats matched with his offensive power. Synthesis (a reliable form of recovery) helps accentuate M-Venasaur as a tanky pokemon. I'd say Synthesis is THE most important move for M-Venasaur to have. Coverage is nice and all, but it shouldn't supersede the necessity of healing for a pokemon such as M-Vensaur. He can definitely take a hit and Synthesis allows him to stick around for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)