(VGC) Doubles Team: Trick Room

/Introduction/​

Hello everyone, and thank you for any advice you can give. This will be my first official post, so I apologize in advance for any formating hiccups.

I'd like any advice as to who to change for better coverage and/or general ability to cope with the current metagame. Thanks again.

/The Team/
Reuniclus @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / SDef
Nature: Quiet (+SAtk, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

I choose Reuniclus due to its relative bulk and impressive base Special Attack. Its speed is terrible, but quiet natured within Trick Room should let him outspeed most. His bulk is such that he rarely gets OHKO'd, and following the first turn will get first attack with his decimating Special Attack. Protect allows him to absorb a couple hits and allow his partner to eliminate any major threats to him.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers (may try Burn/Toxix Orb for 50% boost)
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brace Nature: (+Atk, -Spe).
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Mach Punch makes for a very nice priority, Drain Punch keeps him alive for far too long, and with his partner having protect, he can throw out massive EQs without fear of friendly fire. Rock Slide hits hard, and with Trick Room up, Conkeldurr can take advantage of that nice flinch chance. All in all a nice partner for Reuniclus.

Eelektross @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+Satk, - Spe)
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Acid Spray

Eelecktross with Levitate, aside from Mold Breaker Haxorous, has no weaknesses. Pure Electric typing with ground immunity and a fairly nice bulk let him take quite a few hits before going down. Thunderbolt and Flamethrower give great coverage, and Grass Knot fills in for any pesky ground/rock types. Acid Spray is an inverted Nasty Plot, that deals damage. It encourages switches, and lets anyone it hits get OHKO'd on the following turn.

Gigalith @ Normal Gem
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Explosion

Gigalith has amazing base atk, and in Trick Room just hits like a truck. Rock Slide for obvious multi-target STAB damage, Earthquake for a psuedo-QuakeEdge combo, and protect for aforementioned reasons. Explosion is a beautiful final attack, dealing massive gem-boosted multitarget damage. Whenever he's on the way out, he goes out with a bang.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leach Seed
- Protect

Let me just start with a little explanation of EVs and nature, Ferrothorn's base Defense is higher than its base Special Defense, thus Sassy brings the two to similar levels (actually putting SDef a tad higher). With EVs invested in both, Ferrothorn can eat a hit from anything not called Fire-type(Even Earthquakes). Also, with a relatively low HP, Leach Seed brings in more of a percent than an HP EV'd Ferrothorn would. Leftovers simply compliment Leach Seed, and make for a very hard to kill Ferrothorn.

Gyro Ball and Powerwhip fill in nicely for good STAB-ed hits, hitting surprisingly hard, give defensive EV and Nature. Sassy also makes Gyro quiet the threat.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Chandelure wraps up the team, adding another Trick Room user, given that Trick Room only lasts 5 turns, and a nice teammate for Ferrothorn. Flash Fire absorbs those nasty fire attacks and hits back with a Heat Wave, potentially boosted from Flash Fire. Focus Sash guarantees it can set up Trick Room, as its not quite as bulky as Reuniclus. Inside of Trick Room, it can abuse that nasty base SAtk to its hearts content, wreaking havoc on the opponent. Heat Wave is choosen over Flamethrower/Fire Blast simple for the ability to hit two targets.

/Conclusion/
Thats the team in a nutshell so far. I haven't actually gotten to debut the team in any competitive forum and I'm worried that I have a bit too much redundant coverage. I'm considering switching in Jellicent, simply for the reliable Ice Beam it would bring the team, compensating for my lack of coverage on Dragons. This team is planned for a Unova-only subset of battling, so the only real dragon uncovered here is Haxorous, as Hydreigon is covered well by Conkeldurr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)