VGC Team - First Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never participated in a VGC tournament before, so I want to make a viable team. This is my current plan so far, but suggestions and tweaks would be appreciated.

Lycanroc
Adamant
Keen Eye
Holding a Choice Band
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

Accelerock
Stone Edge
Crunch
Fire Fang

Lycanroc is the Choice Band attacker. With an apparent lack of Sandstorm setups (from my perspective so far), I choose Keen Eye, but viable set ups for Sandstorm would be nice. Accelerock is good to get the 1-up on those that would outspeed it, Stone Edge is just a good move, and the latter two moves are for coverage.

Crobat
Jolly
Infiltrator
Holding Black Sludge
252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Speed

Haze
Brave Bird
Roost
Toxic

Crobat serves as a support; it can remove major stat changes on pokemon and can use Toxic on them. It has Roost to restore HP, and Brave Bird serves as a means to attack. I'm not keen on Hyper Fang, but it might be viable depending if its good for the format and would replace Brave Bird.

Ninetales (Alolan)
Timid
Snow Warning
Holding Light Clay
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed

Moonblast
Freeze-Dry
Encore
Aurora Veil

Ninetales is a viable lead-in; it's goal is to set up Aurora Veil, and if it encounter a Pokemon trying to set up, it'll use Encore to trap them in the move. It's a bit weak as it only has its types for its moves, but Freeze-Dry allows it to fight off water types effectively.

Primarina
Modest
Torrent
Holding Choice Specs
168 HP/ 88 Def/ 252 SpA

Moonblast
Hydro Pump
Psychic
Energy Ball

The Choice Specs attacker, although it's not the fastest. I forsake its speed to pump its defense up a bit. Suggestions on spread or other options are nice. The first two moves are its STAB, while the latter two are its coverages, and with the lack of grass moves on the others, I choose Energy Ball, but Ice Beam is also viable.

Mimikyu
Adamant
Disguise
Holding a Red Card
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed

Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Play Rough
Shadow Claw

Hrm, there seems to be an abundance of fairies....but I like the idea behind Mimikyu. It's goal is to build its attack until it gets hit. It then tries to kill whatever comes out. Shadow Sneak is to quickly get in a hit, and the other two are its STABS. Leech Life might also be considered, but what would get replaced?

Kommo-o
Naughty
Overcoat
Holding Dragium-Z
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Speed

Dragon Claw
Brick Break
Poison Jab
Draco Meteor

An unexpected sweeper, Overcoat allows Kommo-o to pair well with Ninetails and protect it from the types it is bad against. No one ever expects a Z-Move to be used with Draco Meteor, and since the Z-move doesn't lower stats, the original Draco Meteor can be used once more before switching back to its physical moves. Brick Break over Sky Uppercut due to A) being more accurate and B) viability to break walls. Poison Jab is its coverage against the fairies it is oh so weak to.

I will appreciate suggestions or swaps for this team. Again, this is meant for VGC and thus only legal options would be liked. Thanks for looking over!

First thought. You team is to fast, and by that I mean trick room will easily be able to set up and run threw this team. However a very easy quick fix would be to add something with Taunt or whirlwind/roar.

First thought. You team is to fast, and by that I mean trick room will easily be able to set up and run threw this team. However a very easy quick fix would be to add something with Taunt or whirlwind/roar.
Yeah, can crobat learn taunt this gen?

I know gyarados can learn taunt and roar, so if the fairy stab isn't too important maybe replace primarina with gyarados

No protect on ninetails? Brave man! General wisdom is unless you're using a choice item gotta have that protect, but I'm a noob so feel free to disregard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)