Entertainment Video Games in Disguise: Are They Actually Pokemon?

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Along with Pokemon, there are many different video games that have Pokemon-like creatures in them. I was thinking that I could write an article about different video game characters as if they were Pokemon. So I would say stuff like what moves they would have, abilities, typing, stat spreads, etc. I would talk about what would be cool about it, some cool movesets they could maybe have and whatnot, etc etc.

Yoshi

Possible Type: Dragon
Possible Stat Spread: 80 HP / 105 Atk / 85 Def / 95 SpAtk / 75 SpDef / 130 Spe
Possible Abilities: Quick Feet, Gluttony
Possible Moves: Egg Bomb, Rollout, Fly, Flamethrower, Softboiled, Lick, Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Bounce, Flying Press, etc.

Possible Moveset:
@ Leftovers
Ability: Quick Feet
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Claw
- Flying Press
- Soft-Boiled

This moveset is gives it a good sweeping set. It can abuse Dragon Claw, Flying Press, and Flamethrower for a good mixed set, as well as have Soft-Boiled for recovery. It makes sense aesthetically too, as in some of the games Yoshi grows wings and breathes fire.

Kirby

Possible Type: Normal
Possible Stat Spread: 135 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 85 SpAtk / 70 SpDef / 75 Spe
Possible Abilities: Thick Fat, Trace, Gluttony
Possible Moves: Play Rough, Mimic, Double Slap, Metronome, Wake-Up Slap, Giga Impact, Body Slam, Recover, Assist, Stockpile, Spit Up, Swallow, Switcheroo, Heal Bell, Role Play, Me First

Possible Moveset:
@ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
- Play Rough
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Recover

Kirby would resemble more of a slower tank than a fast offensive threat. Play Rough and Body Slam provide good offensive coverage, while Recover allows it good staying power. Kirby even has Heal Bell to support the team and magic Bounce to reflect the opponent's moves back at them. It's moves make sense aesthetically, as well as it's abilities. Trace, for example, makes good sense because it is using the opponent's abilities against them by literally copying them as it switches in.

Donkey Kong

Possible Type: Fighting
Possible Stat Spread: 100 HP / 135 Atk / 85 Def / 30 SpAtk / 85 SpDef / 55 Spe
Possible Abilities: Iron Fist, Vital Spirit, Moxie
Possible Moves: Mega Punch, Rapid Spin, Rock Climb, Brick Break, Low Sweep, Power-Up Punch, Revenge, Focus Punch, Swords Dance, High Jump Kick, Earthquake, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Stone Edge, U-turn, Belly Drum

Possible Moveset:
@ Leftovers
Ability: Vital Spirit
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin

Donkey Kong can use his spinning ability to use Rapid Spin and clear hazards from the field for the team. It has the bulk to do this multiple times throughout the battle as well. It can also go a much more offensive route as well, with Belly Drum and Swords Dance to set up, as well as other moves like High Jump Kick and the Elemental Punches for coverage.

I know this was short and lame, so I will edit this in the morning. I just want to get this out there for now, and see if I maybe get a response. A lot of people seem interested in theorymoning when I brought up something about about Yoshi in the chat rooms, so hopefully you'll like it too. Thank you very much for your time. :) And like I said, it's 5 in the morning, so I am going to bed. I will edit it tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

Aaron's Aron

No Stockpile / Swallow / Spit Up for Kirby?
Great idea! I will add that! Like I said, it was 5 in the morning and I had a massive headache, so I just threw some randoms stuff together. Obviously I will have more when it's done haha. :)

And thank you, I added it!

Aaron's Aron

Valmanway , since you're here, do you have any ideas for some cool video game characters to add? I'm thinking maybe Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Falco? What do you think?

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only candidates I see are Kirby, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong for purely creature candidates, while Fox, Falco, Wolf, maybe Meta Knight, DDD, and Sonic are human-esque candidates, a total of 10-11 characters. I think going for the former group should have higher priority, since I'm not sure about the human-esque characters being Pokemon, but it's your article, so you can do what you see fit.

Aaron's Aron

The only candidates I see are Kirby, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong for purely creature candidates, while Fox, Falco, Wolf, maybe Meta Knight, DDD, and Sonic are human-esque candidates, a total of 10-11 characters. I think going for the former group should have higher priority, since I'm not sure about the human-esque characters being Pokemon, but it's your article, so you can do what you see fit.
Awesome, I'll try some of those. Thank you! :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I would divert from doing solely SSB characters if possible, but this is a neat idea. Kirby having better bulk than Donkey doesn't make much sense though, I would go with high HP but low defenses on the puffball.

A creature or two from Metroid and Pikmin would be cool, obvious crossovers with Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest are there, Navi or something from Zelda would be funny.

If you want to stray out of Nintendo, which I would encourage, there's a ton of things like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, The Flud from Halo, etc. you could do

Aaron's Aron

I would divert from doing solely SSB characters if possible, but this is a neat idea. Kirby having better bulk than Donkey doesn't make much sense though, I would go with high HP but low defenses on the puffball.

A creature or two from Metroid and Pikmin would be cool, obvious crossovers with Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest are there, Navi or something from Zelda would be funny.

If you want to stray out of Nintendo, which I would encourage, there's a ton of things like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, The Flud from Halo, etc. you could do
Yeah, like I said, it was just to give you an idea. Very subject to change haha. Thank you for your insight, I do agree with the high HP, and I will lower its defense some then. I will look into some other characters like you recommended. :)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess I'm the only one so far who doesn't see much merit with this idea, then. I mean, it's a novel idea to apply Pokemon attributes to well known video game characters, but since there's no particular guidance whatsoever when it comes to Pokemonifying them, it quickly boils down to only following the author's preferences. Granted, plenty of the things you've mentioned makes sense, but still, what's the allure of this article? What is it that will draw people to read your arbitrary choices?

Aaron's Aron

I guess I'm the only one so far who doesn't see much merit with this idea, then. I mean, it's a novel idea to apply Pokemon attributes to well known video game characters, but since there's no particular guidance whatsoever when it comes to Pokemonifying them, it quickly boils down to only following the author's preferences. Granted, plenty of the things you've mentioned makes sense, but still, what's the allure of this article? What is it that will draw people to read your arbitrary choices?
You are right that it ultimately comes down to what I feel would best suit them is what they get. But I will take input from others, as I already have a little here and on PS (without them knowing though). I asked in the LC room on PS (the room I am normally in) what would Yoshi have if it was a Pokemon, and everyone seemed really interested in each others ideas and theorymoning all the different possibilities. Just the fun of reading about how Pokemon attributes apply to different characters makes it exciting. It's okay in my opinion if others disagree as different people might have different opinions, and it is just for fun and to get people thinking on their own about what would these different characters be.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm still unconvinced that this would make for a decent article. Entertainment articles are more dependent on the author rather than the topic (for the most part) in order to be successful, but given the approach you've taken in the OP, it seems to be more of an objective analysis rather than humorous observations. I'm sure that your fellow chat people were intrigued by the idea, but most likely because the topic is more fun as a group discussion, rather than a stand-alone article. Layell and skylight are free to call me out, but I'm just not seeing it.

Aaron's Aron

I'm still unconvinced that this would make for a decent article. Entertainment articles are more dependent on the author rather than the topic (for the most part) in order to be successful, but given the approach you've taken in the OP, it seems to be more of an objective analysis rather than humorous observations. I'm sure that your fellow chat people were intrigued by the idea, but most likely because the topic is more fun as a group discussion, rather than a stand-alone article. Layell and skylight are free to call me out, but I'm just not seeing it.
Well I mean I would make it more humorous when I actually start writing, I just didn't want to go in and write up a whole bunch only to have it be rejected and have wasted my time, if that makes sense. If you don't think that it is good then I respect that, though. I just want to be sure it is clear that the actual article would have much more humor and be less facts and whatnot. I was just trying to show you kind of what it would be in the OP, which is why it doesn't have much there.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I absolutely love this idea; however, I have some suggestions that may help alleviate some of Bummer's concerns, which are quite valid. This could still be an Entertainment article, but I don't think it should have a focus on humor. I think an idea like this should really just focus on generating creative thought, being the crossover that it is here, which would be awesome on its own doing just that.

Note the parts I bolded here in Bummer's post. This could definitely cause negative reactions and a dislike for the idea simply because some readers might have a different idea of what traits some of these are supposed to have. This open end can be closed by sticking only to things that readers would find hard to argue with. Creativity is fun, but arbitrary choosing of some of this can backfire here. As such, a few recommendations I have for the examples you've compiled so far should really narrow the possibility of that happening:

Remove Levitate from Yoshi - Yoshi is only able to fly under certain conditions in the games it is found in and should only have Levitate in a Blue Winged form if it is to have one here.

Remove Magic Bounce from Kirby - I don't see the correlation at all here, and this can be expected of readers too.

Kirby should have Trace as an ability and/or Role Play and Me First as a move - Kirby's whole thing is copying what its enemy can do, so these would be very difficult to argue with. Gluttony is also an ideal ability that matches its seemingly endless ability to eat.

40 base Special Attack on Kirby is a joke - Kirby's special abilities are quite effective in most of the games it is found in, and are probably overall more effective than anything it can do physically.

Remove Drain Punch from Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong is obviously physically oriented, but there is nothing in any of the games it is found in that suggests it is able to drain health from its enemies in any way, making this a confusing addition to its arsenal.

100 base Speed on Donkey Kong is way too much - It's generally not that fast in any of the games it is found in, so readers would probably disagree with it having this much Speed.

If the moves, abilities, and stats for potential future additions to this project could be more practical according to what could be reasonably expected from playing with them in their games (Diddy Kong with Acrobatics would be great ^_^), this would be an amazing article and would interest a ton of Smogon users, I think. Overall, one of the freshest and most interesting concepts I've seen for a Smog article in a very long time, and I personally think this deserves a shot after working out some kinks.

Aaron's Aron

I absolutely love this idea; however, I have some suggestions that may help alleviate some of Bummer's concerns, which are quite valid. This could still be an Entertainment article, but I don't think it should have a focus on humor. I think an idea like this should really just focus on generating creative thought, being the crossover that it is here, which would be awesome on its own doing just that.

Note the parts I bolded here in Bummer's post. This could definitely cause negative reactions and a dislike for the idea simply because some readers might have a different idea of what traits some of these are supposed to have. This open end can be closed by sticking only to things that readers would find hard to argue with. Creativity is fun, but arbitrary choosing of some of this can backfire here. As such, a few recommendations I have for the examples you've compiled so far should really narrow the possibility of that happening:

Remove Levitate from Yoshi - Yoshi is only able to fly under certain conditions in the games it is found in and should only have Levitate in a Blue Winged form if it is to have one here.

Remove Magic Bounce from Kirby - I don't see the correlation at all here, and this can be expected of readers too.

Kirby should have Trace as an ability and/or Role Play and Me First as a move - Kirby's whole thing is copying what its enemy can do, so these would be very difficult to argue with. Gluttony is also an ideal ability that matches its seemingly endless ability to eat.

40 base Special Attack on Kirby is a joke - Kirby's special abilities are quite effective in most of the games it is found in, and are probably overall more effective than anything it can do physically.

Remove Drain Punch from Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong is obviously physically oriented, but there is nothing in any of the games it is found in that suggests it is able to drain health from its enemies in any way, making this a confusing addition to its arsenal.

100 base Speed on Donkey Kong is way too much - It's generally not that fast in any of the games it is found in, so readers would probably disagree with it having this much Speed.

If the moves, abilities, and stats for potential future additions to this project could be more practical according to what could be reasonably expected from playing with them in their games (Diddy Kong with Acrobatics would be great ^_^), this would be an amazing article and would interest a ton of Smogon users, I think. Overall, one of the freshest and most interesting concepts I've seen for a Smog article in a very long time, and I personally think this deserves a shot after working out some kinks.
Thank you very much for your suggestions and opinions. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)