CAP4 weak to hp ground / Psychic
CAP5 weak to aura sphere
CAP6 weak to air slash / psychic
CAP7 weak to hp ground / neutral aura sphere
CAP8 weak to hp ground
CAP9 weak to aura sphere
CAP10 weak to hp ground
CAP11 weak to aura sphere / air slash

So i was thinking about what some one said about how half the caps are weak to ground. They also seem weak against flying and fighting which togekiss + voodoom covers pretty well with just 1 move each.They both learn aura sphere, psychic and (derp) hp ground.

Between the two of them they hit 7 caps with Stab Super effective moves. Togekiss with hp ground would hit all of the caps for SE and Voodoom can run psychic for coverage. Voodoom is the fastest fighting cap, there are also no flying caps. I'm not sure if this means anything, but i thought that was interesting.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I believe I was talking about Colossoil and how the metagame was very weak to Scarfed variants without solid Ground immunities in Salamence / Latias. That doesn't apply so much in a Voodoom metagame with Flying-types absolutely everywhere, but the point stays the same - many CAPs, and particularly the defensive ones, share common weaknesses to types like Flying, Grass and Ground, the former of which has led to quirks like the increased viability of Bounce Gyarados and Staraptor.

A most interesting development. Perhaps the next cap should be something that doesn't share either of those weaknesses?

Granted the number of flying pokes might go back down after the playtesting is over. They still don't make solid counters though what with Stealth Rocks being so popular. Keeps 'em from switching around alot, with the possible exception of roost carriers..... which now that I think about it seems to be mandatory thanks in large part to SR.

that pokemon is awesome tpying but looks very dumb
doesnt look like a fighting type at all
btw i think rotom-a would be a great partner of this

that pokemon is awesome tpying but looks very dumb
doesnt look like a fighting type at all
btw i think rotom-a would be a great partner of this
Too bad a large portion of the community likes it.
And what the fuck do you think you are accomplishing by posting this?

Too bad a large portion of the community likes it.
And what the fuck do you think you are accomplishing by posting this?
people have there own likes and dislikes
im trying to accomplish something?
i dont take pokemon too seriously like you,sorry for not accomplishing something...

The general consensus is "no moping that the design of a CAP you preferred didn't make it."

This is a discussion on CAP 11's presence on the OU Metagame. Aesthetics are not important.

Agreed, not to mention starting a flame war over the appearence of any pkmn even one we have some say in would be counter productive to the objective of the CAP Project. Which is to come together and try and better understand the competitive pokemon environment.

More on topic.... I think it'll be really interesting to see how Voodoom plays once the other CAP pkmn are put back into play again. And it'll be even more interesting reading the feedback on what the other CAPs do to Voodoom's synergy in the game.

I am going to post here to remind everyone that the direction of any given CAP project is entirely independent of how that Pokemon functions in the CAP metagame. The CAP metagame is an afterthought of the process. Please keep discussion of Voodoom's Playtest period exclusive to how Voodoom performs in the Playtest metagame (OU + Voodoom).

Halfway impressions:

Voodoom + Togekiss isn't bad, but it's still kind of lame. I don't want to go on about how "CAP 11 should have been Ground", but honestly there's still something missing with the pair, and I strongly suspect that Voodoom's typing is a reason for this. I think that Togekiss's biggest problem is the difficulty it has with switching in, THEN setting up, THEN becoming a major threat to the opponent; Voodoom doesn't provide that switch-in opportunity. The other problem is that Voodoom is quite a good Pokemon whose primary failing is in being easily weakened by residual damage from Life Orb and possibly Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which Togekiss hardly addresses at all. I'm inclined to abandon this pairing. At least Baton Pass chains seem to "work" for them...

Voodoom+Gyarados I'm less certain about, but it's still pretty lame. An idea I had for the pairing back when stat spreads were being submitted was Bulk Up Voodoom + Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados. However, Bulk Up, as expected really, is not that good, even on Voodoom. Voodoom doesn't really have enough really solid switch-in opportunities to pull this off, and I often find it not doing anything. Gyarados doesn't really need it, either.

Voodoom itself is thankfully nowhere near broken, but I've found it a bit too easy to build a team to exploit its presence. Right now, I have a 14-4 record with a team that I built to test the OU environment's ability to adapt to Voodoom, and I don't see that record getting much worse. I don't want to talk about this too much right now, but we'll see what happens at the end of playtesting.

I've yet to test Voodoom + Gengar, Voodoom + Zapdos and Voodoom + Rotom, but I have high hopes for them. Tyranitar, a huge threat to all three of these partners, seems to be far less common than it is in OU, so that should help a lot.

I've yet to test Voodoom + Gengar, Voodoom + Zapdos and Voodoom + Rotom...
I've tested only Voodoom + Zapdos, and the results are really amazing. Zapdos can AgiliPass or SubPass really easily to Voodoom.

I would also like to say that Rock Types that can KO Voodoom are really powerful in this metagame.

I've been using Choice Scarf Voodoom as a revenge killer, and had some considerable success with it:

Voodoom @ Choice Scarf
Modest - Volt Absorb
6 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
~Aura Sphere
~Dark Pulse
~Filler?
~Filler?

Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere are the only main attacks. For the last two slots I've been using Hidden Power Electric (mostly for Gyarados), but I have no clue what to do with Slot 4. Perhaps make this Rash/Mild and use CC for Blissey/Snorlax?

So, any thoughts? It has worked very well and usually nets one or two kills per match.

I have used a Scarf Voodoom (I used HP Ice), and it was good, but being locked into a move was really unfortunate when using Voodoom, because it prevents it from freely using its (near) perfect STAB coverage. Also, Voodoom really appreciates the boost in power that Life Orb gives it, and losing the 2HKO with SR on Defensive Zapdos really hurts Voodoom.

I personally have been using a Choice Specs set for my Voodoom. It actually works very well since it apparently outspeeds quite a lot that isnt carrying a scarf. and the boost is always nice.
Though it gets absolutely walled by most zapdos, who swicthed in on a locked aura sphere.
Actually HP ice only does half... :/

The problem with togekiss + voodoom is that zapdos is better than togekiss. Zapdos can pass agilitly, while togekiss can pass nasty plot, so they both have their uses. Nasty plot voodoom gets revenge killed by *insert gay scarfed poke*, now both of them have to switch back into SR for 25% damage, gyarados gets hit with 25% damage as well. If your baton passing you need to pass with over 25% health or you die when you switch in again.

I think the best use for voodoom is something like a life orb timid starmie, comes in late game and cleans up with speed + power + coverage, I'd argue starmie outclasses voodoom coverage wise, has more powerful attacks with ice beam, surf and T bolt as well as a 50% recovery move. Voodoom has the better defensive typing, a stab priority move and more bulk though...

With everyteam based around countering 5 or so pokemon it's hard to tell what would actually work in a standard match. Moral of the story, use a starmie with ice beam and t bolt.

I've tested only Voodoom + Zapdos, and the results are really amazing. Zapdos can AgiliPass or SubPass really easily to Voodoom.

I would also like to say that Rock Types that can KO Voodoom are really powerful in this metagame.
I've actually tested a few of my regular teams to see how hard it is to take care of a Voodoom without having one of my own. I found that a rain dance team renders the AgiliPass fairly useless. If the opponent sends out a Zapdos to counter the water types, I just Stone Edge it with a SwiftSwim Kabutops, which has a 35% chance of OHKOing a physically defensive Zapdos.

Moral of the story, use a Starmie with ice beam and t bolt.
Amen.

Also Hydro Pump.

Testing out ZapDoom, it was kind of underwhelming. I...can't really explain it, but it's like...they didn't solve each other's problems enough or kill enough stuff to use over other stuff. I have never seen it used effectively against me, either, but that's because I anti-metagame a bit.

Don't hurt me.

With ZapKissDoom, I felt it was kind of hard to get an Agility and Nasty Plot going. People used Electric attacks regardless of whether I popped out Voodoom or not, which really crippled Togekiss. I have never seen it used effectively against me, either, but that's because I anti-metagame a bit.

GyaraDoom failed spectacularly. I hate Zapdos, especially HP Flying Zapdos.

Capefeather suggested Gengar+Voodoom. That...really didn't work. Not enough resistances to be using two frail pokemon.

In conclusion, Voodoom hasn't really worked out for me. I haven't tried plain old Bulk Up sweeper Voodoom, though. It seems decent, but Low Kick and CC both have ugly disadvantages, and Night Slash sucks.

I've been running VooDoom as the mixed sweeper set. I use it with Gyarados, which works amazingly well (Except when that motherf***ing Lucario gets a Stone Edge crit on Gyara). It also serves as a lure for some counters to a certain other Fighting-type sweeper... who then owns face once I know the counter.

Capefeather suggested Gengar+Voodoom. That...really didn't work. Not enough resistances to be using two frail pokemon.
Actually, I got the idea from the theorymon analysis and reachzero's suggestion of TauntSplit Voodoom. I used SubSplit Gengar and TauntSplit Voodoom in tandem. However, yeah, it's quite an unstable paring.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Playtesting will end at the close of ratings tonight, which occurs at 11:30pm eastern time for the CAP server. I will be out of town today and tomorrow, and will have sporadic internet access. But, I will try to post the Playtest Champion tonight.

The Playtesting Champion gets a custom title and will be listed in the Credits of Voodoom's dex page on the website. So, get your rating as high as possible today!

from my time playtesting voodoom, i basically learned: physical voodoom is pretty underwhelming, especially since you don't have many chances to bulk up. i like the tauntsplit set mentioned earlier in the thread, since its p. badass imo. and voodoom is really powerful on the special side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)