ORAS Doubles OU We Have a Sub Today

This has nothing to do with the RMT, but haxiest move in dubs?

• Swagger

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Thunder Wave

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Rock Slide

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
I made this really neat team based on Substitute Azumarill, but it gives way too many free turns to things like Bunnies and whatnot. I want to preserve the Substitute Azumarill idea as much as possible while not losing to Bunnies, and I can't think of what to do.

Here's the squad:

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Protect

The whole reason why I wanted to use this set was because Belly Drum Azumarill was literally every Azumarill set and I wanted to try something different. I thought about running a Life Orb set but that ended horribly. Since my speed stat is like 218, I outspeed the common Rotom-W as well as Amoonguss and can avoid status moves by just using sub against them. It also lets me not take a -1 from Landorus-T switching in. This set as a whole is less of a suicidal Belly Drum attacker and more of a preserved offensive Azumarill.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

A pretty standard Amoonguss set. I run Relaxed over Sassy for Mega Metagross, which the rest of the team dislikes. The reason why I went with Amoonguss in the first place should be obvious of course since Azumarill and Amoonguss are pretty much inseparable. It also makes my team less vulnerable to Trick Room because Spore with base 30 speed=death to Trick Room.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

This is my cool setup mon that benefits from Amoonguss redirecting Keldeo and Rotom-Wash. It also seemed neat because Azumarill killed Landorus-T's for Volcarona without having to set up Belly Drum : ). Quiver Dance Volc deals quite a bit of damage to a lot of threats to Azumarill+Amoonguss in the first place, namely Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Mega Kangaskhan, and Rotom-Wash thanks to Giga Drain. Leftovers just preserves Volcarona.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell
- Protect

This set is pretty standard aside from Heal Bell. Heal Bell is on there to remove Thunder Waves/Will-o-wisps that fuck me over on other things, or even Spores on Volc/Azu. Pixilate Hyper Voice is a great way to kill the Dragons that threaten this team, and Psyshock helps me against Amoonguss. Timid>Modest because I want to move before Adamant Kanga and Modest Charizard.

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Intimidate is helpful for my team. Fake Out is also nice to set up Subs/Spore tr setters/set up QD/get a free Hyper Voice. I went with Ice Punch as a coverage move to further aid Volcarona and Gardevoir in the battle against Landorus-T. This also serves as one of like 2 legitimate Kangaskhan checks on the team lol.

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Quash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swagger
- Foul Play

I call this set "'competitive' -kylecole"

But seriously I ran Quash to help Azumarill, Amoonguss, and Gardevoir (and occasionally Volcarona) do their jobs really well. Will-o-wisp is good vs Kanga, Metagross, and Landorus-T, all of which I have problems with. Swagger is nice because it's "'competitive' - kylecole", and Foul Play works really well with Swagger.

Closing notes: I hate Mega Diancie, Bunnies, and maybe Sand/Sun, pls help

It helps me deal more damage. I give too many free turns with this team, and I don't want a Sitrus Scrafty or whatever to make me lose a game.

Also I guess it is to ensure that I do better against Mega Kangaskhan because it deals more damage to it and heals relatively the same amount if LO recoil is accounted for.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Yo guest o/ Team looks pretty uh, original. Some cool sets but some glaring weaknesses that I hope I can patch up. To put it simply, your team gets absolutely bodied by Talonflame and Mega Diancie. The former has 0 switchins and the latter only has 1, a shaky one at that. Also no CharY switchins ;___; also Heatran's a serious issue ;____;

I'm going to start this rate with a reaaaaaaally unorthodox set but one that would work very well with your team: Special Lando-T > Scrafty. I don't see the need for Scrafty on the team in all honesty, as it just makes your weakness to common threats notably worse. Special Lando-T with Stealth Rock and HP Ice gives you a way to kill Diancie, Charizard Y, Talonflame and Landorus-T while getting up Rocks to deter the two Fire Types from coming in. Another advantage is killing Heatran before they can set up a Substitute. You still keep the Intimidate that this team thrives on while having much better synergy. All in all, a much better fit for the team than Scrafty.

Secondly, Sableye doesn't fit the team very well. Sableye provides absolutely 0 offensive presence for the team and is never much of a threat. On a team with an Amoonguss and easily walled Pokemon already, it's sometimes more of a liability than an asset. To help check Diancie while still having a pseudo-Kanga check, I'd use Wide Guard Aegislash > Sableye in this spot. This pick provides some offensive pressure and a way to block Charizard-Y and Landorus-T from steamrolling through your team late game. Quash is pretty nifty but these issues are much more pressing for your team than speed control, which a bulkier offense-ish team doesn't rely on as much.

A few moveslots also need some tweaking. The most important of these changes is HP Ground > Heal Bell on Mega Gardevoir. On a build reliant on Volcarona to sweep late game, Heatran must be eliminated as soon as possible. Luring it in with this coverage move is the easiest way to do this, as it does not change up the rest of the team too much. Rocky Helmet > Sitrus on Amoonguss is something I'm going to suggest, as it helps with your Kangaskhan matchup. You have no way of OHKOing it and Helmet damage from Amoonguss on contact should be very critical to getting it into range for some of your mons. Last on the small tweaks, try a bulkier spread on Azumarill. Although outspeeding Rotom-W is cool and all, your team doesn't struggle against it at all. In fact, it's just a dead weight on the field once Garde comes out to spam Hyper Voice. Max HP with Adamant might just be better in order to get more damage and check Pokemon like Talon and Diancie in a pinch.

Sub azu is a cool idea and I hope it works out ^_^
>

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 236 SpA / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

stone edge kills chary with modest anyways. also rocks set bulky chary into kill range for timid gard psyshock 93% of the time !_!

>

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon / Substitute
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

(both work on the team)

HP Ground > Heal Bell on Gardevoir
Rocky Helmet > Sitrus Berry on Amoonguss
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe Adamant on Azumarill

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, cool team :] i agree with qusnus' changes to the team tho, LO scrafty is pretty ehm.. weird hah. Btw: make an import for the team so people can use it for their self too

well , qsns pretty much covered most of the changes i would have made. most notable change is removing swagger, which would make almost any team better imo. so supporting the aegi change heavily

After testing this team a lot I have come to the conclusion that sub azu is just shit lol
The most recent version of this team has Belly Drum/Ajet Azu and HP Ground Mega Gardevoir as well as the mon changes (FUCK Germanslash though I stuck with Flash Cannon) and it's still stupidly weak to Sun unless they mispredict and switch out zard while I set rocks. I've been considering adding a Fire resistant Tailwind setter so that Landorus-T always KOs Charizard or at least like sets rocks safely, though I've also had the idea of replacing Volcarona with something like Goggles/Shuca Heatran, any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)