Weather-less-Semi-Stall

Greetings Smogon! This is DartMonkey, also known as Chomp29 here posting my first RMT FOR NON-SMOGON DW. This is important to note as the team is not meant for a tier in which Chandelure is legal.

This team has been by far my most successful team ever. While I do not play much anymore on big servers, I have got to #1 on numerous smaller servers such as PBC with it. I have peaked at 5 (technically 4 since there is now proof that the #1 player cheated for ranking), on the PO DW OU ladder with a CRE of 1606.

The team is a re-vamped version of my good friend Weiss's team which can be found here: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?7822-Stall-Team

During the time this team was re-vamped and made, Weiss was retired, but looks like hes back and as good as ever,
all the more reason for me to try and get high with this team again.

Team Building Process:

Step 1:

Start with Weiss's team:

Step 2:

I took Dragonite out as my lead, and put Genesect in his place. This was because even though Dnite netted an amazing amount of kills as a lead, after he was dead/crippled my team was getting DESTROYED by fire. I replaced Brick Break with Fire Punch to fit his new role.

Step 3:

My Skarm/Chansey core was doing a fine job, but 2 things kept happening. For one, physical attackers like Terrakion were able to switch into Chansey un-challenged and pose an immediate threat to my team. 2nd, the team was having major problems with Rotom-Scizor cores. I replaced Counter with Thunder Wave on Chansey and gave Skarmory a Rocky Helment (look at Skarm's in-depth for a detailed explanation as to why).

Step 4:

Xatu was doing a phenomenal job. I mean, you talk about a Pokemon putting in a TON of work. But the problem was, even though I took Dragonite out of the lead position, my team was still being murdered by fire attacks, especially Toxic Heatran. One day it just sort of hit me, and I realized that Starmie could perform a very similar role to Xatu, only he resisted fire. I ended up running a bulky version as I really need Starmie to stick around.

Step 5:

I ran a spread of 252 HP, 224 Speed, and 32 SpA, with Scald, Recover, Rapid Spin, and Ice Beam. However in light of the increase of Gengars
I was seeing, I have now changed it to: 228 Hp, 4 Def, 52 SpA, and 224 Speed, with Scald, Recover, Rapid Spin, and Psychic. With this spread I can out-speed, and OHKO 0/4 Gengar, and it lets me take on Keldeo better. Additionally, the 4 Def makes opposing Genesect download their SpA, and therefore makes it easier for me to switch into Chansey.
At a glance:

Peak (I will update if and when it gets higher): http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=4230

The Team In Depth:

Genesect@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Naive Nature (+Speed-SpD)
Evs: 252 Speed, 252 SpA, 4 Atk
Moveset:
U-Turn
Thunder Bolt
Ice Beam
Flame Thrower

Unlike the team it is based off, I lead with Genesect rather than Dragonite. This spread is about as standard a spread as you can get really. U-Turn for scouting and doing rather heavy STAB damage. The other 3 moves are to give maximum coverage. I run Naive nature so as to hit a little harder with U-Turn. I don't often mind the special defense drop as I find my self switching more often into physical hits.

Chansey@ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure

Bold Nature: (+Def-Atk)
Evs: 252 Defense, 252 SpD, 4 HP

Moveset:
Stealth Rock
Seismic Toss
Softboiled
Thunder Wave

Chansey is an extremely valuable member of this team. She is able to tank special hits better than any other Pokemon in the game, and she has a very underrated amount of physical bulk as well. Seriously, Genesect's attack boosted STAB U-Turn does about 30%! She is also valuable for setting up Stealth Rock in order to keep pressure on my opponent. I suggest scouting first with Thunder Wave, as Xatu and Espeon can be a pain if they are allowed to bounce back rocks. It is also amazing to get a surprise paralysis on an incoming Terrakion. Softboiled and Seismic Toss are for obvious reasons. I reccomend that you Softboiled even if you've lost just 25% of your health, as this will allow Chansey to constantly be able to tank otherwise 2HKO's on the physical side.

Dragonite@ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale

Adamant Nature (+Atk-SpA)
Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Earthquake
Fire Punch

Dragonite is the glue that holds this team together. He stops scary defensive threats from setting up with the power of his Outrage, and revenge kills pretty much anything he wants to with Extreme Speed. Earthquake nails heatran and does a number to Tyranitar, it also lets you hit pretty hard without locking yourself into Outrage. Fire Punch is for Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Genesect, Scizor, etc, and lets you KO certain things you otherwise would have to Outrage to KO.

Skarmory@ Rocky Helment
Ability: Sturdy

Impish Nature (+Def-SpA)
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk

Moveset:
Roost
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird

Everything about this Skarmory is standard except for the item. I first encountered Rocky Helment Skarmory when I was facing off against a friend of mine; Porii Sames. Throughout the match, my team's Scizor-Rotom core was struggling because Rocky Helment caused a TON of damage to my Scizor over time. Once he got rocks down, the core was rendered all but useless. That is the main reason I started using it. These team does struggle with Scizor-Rotom without it, and that is inexcusable. It is also a BIG help against opposing Dragonite as it forces them to break Multiscale, and does a heck of a lot of damage if they lock themselves into Outrage. I never really miss leftovers recovery as I generally Roost like crazy and let the Rocky Helment do the talking.

Starmie@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

Timid Nature (+Speed-Atk)
Evs: 228 HP, 224 Speed, 52 SpA, 4 Def
Moveset:
Recover
Rapid Spin

Scald
Psychic

Starmie is the only member of this re-vamped team that was not on the original. Previously, I had used Xatu. Xatu was doing such a flawless individual job that I failed to see the problem that popped up again and again: The over-reliance on Dragonite (and sometimes Chansey) to take fire hits. This team was having such a difficult time dealing with Toxic Heatran (which I saw an ungodly number of). 3 fire weaknesses and only 1 resist just wasn't cutting it. That is where Starmie came in. Rapid Spin was similar to Xatu's Magic Bounce, and Natural Cure meant that it was also able to absorb status like Xatu. It had reliable recovery just like Xatu, and pseudo-status in the form of Scald. I have tested more offensive vairents and they just don't cut it. Starmie has been so incredibly useful to this team as a whole.

Breloom@ Fight Gem
Ability: Technician

Adamant Nature (+Atk-SpA)
Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:
Spore
Swords Dance
Bullet Seed
Mach Punch

Breloom serves as this teams late game cleaner, and is an additional check to bulky waters. It can also revenge kill if the need should arise. The moveset is fairly standard. I opted for adamant as I kept barely missing out on KO's when trying to sweep late-game. With a Fight Gem, Breloom can take out even some Pokemon who resist Mach Punch, especially when Stealth Rocks are down. The main reason for Fight Gem though is that it does not damage you like Life Orb does. Breloom can usually take a hit, but if it has a Life Orb, 1-2 Mach Punches will kill it, especially if Sandstorm is up.

Playing with the team:

The idea behind this team is to keep constant pressure up, be it offensive or defensive. Let opponents wear themselves down against your hazards, walls, Rocky Helment, U-Turns etc, and you will leave a late game sweep wide open for Breloom, Genesect, Or Dnite. KEEP SKARMORY ALIVE! Do not be foolish and spikes at the cost of a lot of HP. It is much better not to get spikes down and live to fight again than to get them down and jeaprodize your Skarm. Roost constantly to keep it at or near full health. Especially since you don't have leftovers.

When in doubt, U-Turn with Genesect. Don't ever make the foolish mistake of getting an "easy kill" only to find that you just Ice Beamed on an incoming Magnezone.

Finally, Even with Starmie added to the team, Heatran can still be a problem. Killing it should be your #1 priority. Do anything you can to eliminate it.

I will probably add a threat list in the ensuing days.

Oh yeah, and here is the importable version:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Stanley (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Breloom (F) @ Fight Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Feel free to comment/criticize the team, or even to use it for yourself. It is fairly easy to learn to play and very effective. It has the added bonus of being easily modified to your preferences.

Credit:

1. Weiss the Immaculate for the original concept of the team, and for being one of the main people to help me get good at this game. He's sorta my favorite Pokemon player of all time.

2. Porii Sames for being the person to teach me competitive Pokemon. His methods were, let's say, unconventional, but he did the job nevertheless. He also gets credit for introducing me to Rocky Helment Skarmory which is a key facet of my team.

3. Blade for being there to help me test the team constantly, and kept me pretty much on my toes during our frequent ladder matches.

4. Gangstarr for letting me into PTOB (a former PO clan). While in the clan I became much better and started using this team.

5. TDG (jayjay) for being the nicest person on PO. He is pretty much the reason I found out about PTOB and one of the reasons I wanted to join.

Final look:

Yes that actually sounds like a very interesting idea. You mentioned it to me before but I don't think I actually followed through. I shall test it and see what happens.

I notice your teams seems a little scarf-chandelure weak--5 team members are OHKOed (dragonite if its multiscale is down or is locked into extremespeed or fire punch, and genesect if locked into anything but u-turn). Doesn't seem like your team really needs the spinning for anything other than dragonite--maybe replace starmie with a "counter" for chandelure? Dugtrio or a pursuiter could work--tyranitar is probably the best, but not sure if you want to have a weather starter on your team. Tyranitar also helps to cover your fire weakness.

Also, a question about starmie's EVs: what do the speed EV's get you to?

And I ditto the suggestion on CB terrakion.

Solid team overall.

His team isn't really for DW OU on Smogon per se, which explains the lack of Chandelure counters. So that's where that comes from.

Yeah I like the idea of a CB terrak too. Not gonna say anything else cuz your team looks pretty solid, and im awful and rating/helping if it comes down to small details of a team.

Ps: This is Blade, but I use " -Wildwind- " to ladder with on smogon server so...

Sorry, thought this thread had gone dead.

@Kidogo, yes the team is totally destroyed by Chandelure. Which explains the VERY FIRST SENTENCE XD: Greetings Smogon! This is DartMonkey, also known as Chomp29 here posting my first RMT FOR NON-SMOGON DW. This is important to note as the team is not meant for a tier in which Chandelure is legal.

Nah man its all good, anyone could have made the mistake (:

And yeah, everyone seems to agree, so I think I will un-retire this team and test it with CB Terrakion on PO DW.

And Blade, I think you know this team better than anyone in existence save me. Seeing as you battled against it like 37 times.

It's no problem bro.

And I just noticed your Starmie question:

The given speed evs allow me to outspeed Timid Tornadous, which is nice because I am only running 12 additional speed evs to do that.

It also has the unintended affect of letting me out-speed Thunderous who I just discovered is un-banned while it is being re-voted PO.

I'm aware that this team isn't meant to take on Shandera, but after losing Chansey, you'll become weak to Gengar, Genesect, and even with Chansey you'll still have problems with Kerudio. I apologize for being unable to provide a more detailed analysis, but all i'm good at doing is battling. I can't teambuild for shit and i'm decent with analysis in battle at best.

- Mewtwo Elite

Thanks for rating!

Yes when Chansey goes down problems to pop up. Most importantly Genesect. If you play right, you shouldn't let Chansey die early game.

Ofc if you do lose it, it's not totally over, Dnite can deal with it pretty solidly, as gene cant OHKO till multi scale is borked. Breloom can do a good 60% with mach punch, but to get a kill, you need to have had it switch into rocks / spikes a couple times.

You know MewTwo here brought up a point that made me think of something. Kerudio and Gengar do give me trouble, but if i was to simply put Psychic on Starmie, That troubule would vanish. It would also allow me to OHKO Breloom and Conkeldurr which I currently cannot do. It also does around 80% to standard Tentacruel which is nice, and finally it lets me OHKO Terrakion most of the time.

I think I shall test Psychic.

i think you may want to consider psyshock over psychic as after entry hazards you should be able to 2HKO Chansey/Blissey which otherwise beats starmie 1v1 if it ever gets down to that

Well, ordinarily that would be the case. But since I invest so little in special attacks, and do not have a life orb or choice specs equipped, my Psyshock is doing about 24% on average to 4/252 Bold Chansey. This is more than psychic does, but not enough to justify the power loss. Especially since psychic allows me to OHKO Keldeo 100% of the time if it is not at +1. Also since bulk up Breloom is becoming more popular on PO, Psyshock doesn't actually OHKO that variant of Breloom which REALLY sucks.

Also I have tested Terrakion extensively. And I cannot tell which one is better. Seriously, they are like dead equal. Terrakion gives me the ability to deal with Rain Ferrothorn a bit easier, and has better STAB attacks in general, but Dragonite's priority is more than twice as strong (factoring in the higher base power, base attack stat, and Dnite not having to run jolly).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)