What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

I am surprised Damnbipom isn't on the OU List. A Base 100 Atk And Base 115 Spe makes Ambipom a viable lead. Running jolly nature Max Spe lets him out run most leads, Dragons Sporting a sizable move pool, Fake Out, with STAB and Technician make this a mandatory move for Ambipom. Also Sporting taunt, switheroo, and u-turn makes him a beautiful scout

Etebossu, can also Baton Pass wonderful and helpful stat boosts such as Nasty Plot, Agility, Hone Claws,and Work Up. Work up can go well for Randorosu, Boosting both Atk and SpAtk.

Down Side , Etebossu is very frail with base Base 66 in def and Spdef,.

It has a lot of options. Blaziken doesn't have room to make perfect coverage, Swords Dance, Protect, Substitute, Baton Pass (DW), whatever. Infernape often only has room for Fire Blast, Close Combat, priority and one coverage move. Volcarona's fire/bug coverage is pretty poor, and Charizard has the same STABs.

Moltres with Agility/Morning Sun, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, and Air Slash has decent coverage, with only Heatran and Heat Rotom resisting it. If you want to be a fast sweeper, you don't need to recover off hits. Stuff will be dead. If you want to be a more bulky sweeper, that is when you use Morning Sun or Roost.
Fire/fighting (or anything/fighting, really) is passable coverage, especially when you can pair boosted attack with priority. Fire/bug is pretty lousy but Quiver Dance is one of the best boosting moves in the game while Agility is not.

Your example Moltres needs a whole life-support system of sun support and spinning, and it STILL can't get past TTar, Toed, Cruel, Gyarados, Heatran, and Latias. If you don't have Agility, you can add tons of revenge killers to that list, with Rotom-W, Terrakion, Latios, and Hydreigon among the highlights.

Stunfisk is a beastly tank and isn't outclassed by anything. Evo stone scyther also looks very, very powerful and will probably be BL'd at the very least.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stunfisk is a beastly tank and isn't outclassed by anything. Evo stone scyther also looks very, very powerful and will probably be BL'd at the very least.
Interesting. I will disagree on Scyther, but Stunfisk is very interesting. Would you mind providing reasons for his listing on OU, as Stunfisk is very generally considered a joke Pokemon. I have my doubts on Stunfisk due to its "meh" typing.

Interesting. I will disagree on Scyther, but Stunfisk is very interesting. Would you mind providing reasons for his listing on OU, as Stunfisk is very generally considered a joke Pokemon. I have my doubts on Stunfisk due to its "meh" typing.
Its typing is interesting, but isn't great. I don't think it's standard material, but it could fill a niche. Stat-wise, it's similar to Jellicent. It doesn't have reliable recovery, but it has Pain Split. Makes a theoretically good combination with the moves Thunder Wave and Scald. It's typing ruins the fun, but I think it should be left to a lower tier so it could have a chance to be useful. Could be one annoying thing to take down there.

So Dusclops i believe should be OU this gen. It reaches abround 550-590 in Def/Sp.def with 252 EVs and Eviolite and it reaches around 400-450 in both with no EVs it can take Draco Meteors from Latios very well and can easily Pain Split the damage. It gets Seismic Toss for good danage on anything with average HP. Will-O-Wisp for Physical attackers (Best to use with Max Sp.def set). Also I personally like to have Shadow Sneak on it aswell to finish off an opponent before it finishes you, but this could be replaced with Toxic to criplles walls such as Jellicent.

AccidentalGreed

So Dusclops i believe should be OU this gen. It reaches abround 550-590 in Def/Sp.def with 252 EVs and Eviolite and it reaches around 400-450 in both with no EVs it can take Draco Meteors from Latios very well and can easily Pain Split the damage. It gets Seismic Toss for good danage on anything with average HP. Will-O-Wisp for Physical attackers (Best to use with Max Sp.def set). Also I personally like to have Shadow Sneak on it aswell to finish off an opponent before it finishes you, but this could be replaced with Toxic to criplles walls such as Jellicent.
It already has an OU Analysis in progress.

Butterfree. (Hear me out.)

Compound Eyes Sleep Powder (at 97.5% accuracy) plus Quiver Dance plus whatever two attacks you want for coverage (or Substitute) can be a pretty nasty combination. Butterfree is pretty frail, but a quadruple-resistance to Fighting and an immunity to Ground help it switch in with ease. Stealth Rock hurts it, but most teams are prepared with a Spinner anyways.

It wouldn't take OU by storm, but it could certainly provide a pivotal role on a team who needs sleep support.

AccidentalGreed

Compound Eyes Sleep Powder (at 97.5% accuracy) plus Quiver Dance plus whatever two attacks you want for coverage (or Substitute) can be a pretty nasty combination. Butterfree is pretty frail, but a quadruple-resistance to Fighting and an immunity to Ground help it switch in with ease. Stealth Rock hurts it, but most teams are prepared with a Spinner anyways.

It wouldn't take OU by storm, but it could certainly provide a pivotal role on a team who needs sleep support.
Wait, are you absolutely sure Butterfree, of all Pokemon, should really receive an OU analysis? Putting Butterfree in the OU list is kind of like pretending Venomoth, Breloom, Volcarona, and many other Pokemon don't exist. Putting Butterfree on the list also assumes Steath Rocks don't exist on the field, or somebody actually having room for Rapid Spin. Additionally, consider this: why would somebody put a rapid spinner for a supporting Pokemon of all things.

You mention its faults, but still, they keep it down heavily. Venomoth outclasses it completely (faster, stronger, better typing, and the 75% accurate Sleep Powder isn't too bad when you get the valuable Tinted Lens).

Soooo...why is Sawk on the list? He outclasses Throh pretty much completely: better movepool, higher Attack, higher Speed. He also gets Close Combat by level.

tl;dr: replace Sawk on the list with Throh.

AccidentalGreed

Throh plays almost completely differently from Sawk, so it doesn't "outclass it", since Throh works normally on bulky and defensive teams, whereas Sawk is on the pure offensive. Sawk, HOWEVER, it outclassed itself; why use Sawk when you could use more focused Fighting-types like Heracross (who is very similar and has better options in STAB and movepool) or Terrakion (higher Speed and defenses). Sawk only has Bulk Up and Sturdy to work with, and even Sturdy might not make it due to Sandstorm and entry hazards. So... Yeah. Whereas Sawk seems to be nothing special, Throh is, stat-wise, the bulkiest Fighting-type to exist (with Guts!)

Haha, I think both of them shouldn't get OU analyses, but at least sad looking Throh brings something "new" in what AccidentalGreed said, being the bulkiest fighter yet. Personally, I don't think its defenses are enough to hold off the high level of offensive stats this generation, but it could be useful if you made a team to support it. Sawk is just plain.

Not sure if it was asked already, but why isn't Raikou on this list? It's basically a slower Jolteon. Aura Sphere and ExtremeSpeed have a troll-nature, so it's not a valid counter-argument. "But there is Calm M-" There are way better Pokémon who use Calm Mind more effectively. Besides, Jolteon can use Charge Beam and get a free boost while attacking.

AccidentalGreed

Not sure if it was asked already, but why isn't Raikou on this list? It's basically a slower Jolteon. Aura Sphere and ExtremeSpeed have a troll-nature, so it's not a valid counter-argument. "But there is Calm M-" There are way better Pokémon who use Calm Mind more effectively. Besides, Jolteon can use Charge Beam and get a free boost while attacking.
I'm not a big fan of Raikou, but I've used it extensively to ask this: What else has really fast troll speed with STAB Electric-type moves without a Stealth Rock or Pursuit weakness? Its comparison to Jolteon is rather inevitable, but it has more than enough to warrant a place as a great sweeper in OU. This also earns Raikou a unique niche in Calm Mind, so there aren't necessarily any "better" Calm Minders than him. It's not like comparing Latias to Xatu.

Also, Raikou is one of the few things that can actually check BOTH Tornadus and Thundurus (Jolteon gets 2HKOed by Hurricane, so it can only come in once). It would be even better if Volt Absorb Raikou was already out.

AlphaSpade said:
Also, Raikou is one of the few things that can actually check BOTH Tornadus and Thundurus (Jolteon gets 2HKOed by Hurricane, so it can only come in once). It would be even better if Volt Absorb Raikou was already out.
Jolteon OHKOs Tornadus with STAB Thunderbolt at +0. It only needs ONE turn to kill Tornadus, so only coming in once is enough.

Thundurus has nothing that can significantly hit Jolteon except Focus Miss, which does max 57%. Jolteon will get the 2HKO before Thundurus. If it used Nasty Plot, then Jolteon will not be able to get the job done. Raikou would survive with 7%~21% of health, unless there are Spikes and Rocks in play.

AccidentalGreed said:
I'm not a big fan of Raikou, but I've used it extensively to ask this: What else has really fast troll speed with STAB Electric-type moves without a Stealth Rock or Pursuit weakness? Its comparison to Jolteon is rather inevitable, but it has more than enough to warrant a place as a great sweeper in OU. This also earns Raikou a unique niche in Calm Mind, so there aren't necessarily any "better" Calm Minders than him. It's not like comparing Latias to Xatu.

Valid point, but yeah, like you said, "its comparison to Jolteon is rather inevitable." Is Calm Mind its ONLY niche in this metagame? It's not like Raikou will be capable of taking 1000 hits after finding that one turn to set up. Specs Jolteon has the power at Turn 1 and Charge Beam Jolteon gets to boost it's SpA in one turn and keeps the higher Speed.

Simipour is the only Water-type that gets it. Simisear is outclassed by Infernape and Simisage by Celebi (and Viziron, if I'm not mistaken).

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but does Hariyama really need to be on the list? Even with all the new fighting types out, I'd say that if something like Throh is getting an analysis Hariyama should.

It has Close Combat, unlike Conkeldurr, and is actually faster than both it and Throh, and although it lacks Mach Punch it still has Bullet Punch for priority. It gets Fake Out and Whirlwind and a few other options other fighting types don't but I think the real game-breaker here is good ol' Thick Fat. Having two other resistances to relatively common attacking types (and decidedly more specially based ones at that) to switch in on that no other pure Fighting type has is enough to warrant an analysis IMO.

It has a niche as a defensive Fighting type that I don't really see something like Machamp or Conkeldurr usurping.

The only thing I see that could be holding it back is lack of access to Drain Punch (WTF???????????? Really GF?) through breeding...

Argh, Drain Punch is the clincher I think. If it could run a set of Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Force Palm / Ice Punch then it'd be pretty good, using a possible paralysis chance in lieu of good priority. With defensive EV's it's actually bulkier both physically and specially than Roobushin, picks up two extra resistances and still has base 120 Attack. But if it doesn't get Drain Punch then I just don't see it working.

But if Throh gets an analysis then so should Hariyama, their defensive sets are equally viable imo.

Actually, look at Throh's and Hariyama's defensive stats, Hariyama is only slightly less bulky but boasts much better offense even when uninvested, and it's also slightly faster. It also has the option of choosing Guts like Throh or running Thick Fat, which gives it some cool versatility. Likewise, whilst Throh gets a STAB phasing move, Hariyama gets a STAB paralysis move, and they both get Payback. Hariyama also gets Ice Punch to deal with Gliscor, whilst Throh can't do shit.

Really, Hariyama isn't outclassed by Throh, he just has a more specific niche in being able to tank some special attacks more effectively, whilst also hitting harder off the bat.

Nothing that gets Quiver Dance will ever be OU unless it outclasses Volcarona, which I don't think is possible without being banned to ubers. Volcarona pushes the limit pretty hard. I've seen the thing sweep teams even AFTER switching in on SR.

It doesn't have to outclass it. It just has to be able to do something useful that Volcorona can't (like Baton Pass the boosts).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)