Why we need fewer Comic Book movies or: why we need to change the system.

I don't understand this topic, because first of all the only "bad" Super Hero movie (recently) was the Green Lanturn. Second of all when Super Hero movies were scarce they were at best decent, but when they were starting to release more of them they all became from good to excellent, I don't know if it is the competition, recent acquisitions such as Disney/Marvel, coincidence/correlation or Hollywood figured out if they actually hired decent people and gave these movies enough production they can become hits and their target audience are not comic-con attendees.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand this topic, because first of all the only "bad" Super Hero movie (recently) was the Green Lanturn. Second of all when Super Hero movies were scarce they were at best decent, but when they were starting to release more of them they all became from good to excellent, I don't know if it is the competition, recent acquisitions such as Disney/Marvel, coincidence/correlation or Hollywood figured out if they actually hired decent people and gave these movies enough production they can become hits and their target audience are not comic-con attendees.

It's not that the're bad. It's that they're all becoming the exact same thing, with reboots of only 10 year old movies they're just redoing the same thing over and over again. My fear is that soon all of the big blockbusters will follow this "superhero playbook" as some call it and be predictable and unoriginal and just plain. I don't mind that they didn't reboot Spiderman, but I do mind that they almost didn't do anything different than the first one.

I'll agree with you on the premature reboots *coughhulkcough* and now with Batman, Spiderman, X-Men and Superman there is definitely a trend going on, and to be honest I don't mind if they go ahead and do that along with releasing new HD super hero cartoons such as the Spiderman and the Ninja Turtles, because it shows wide interest in the genre and allows things such as Watchman and the Avengers to be made.

Hopefully these idiots at hollywood wake up and realize that comics have effectively endless content they can explore and go the route of the Bond movies (at least that movie series waited until they exhausted all the novel's materials before rebooting) and just continue the story.

But if you ask me I'd rather have reboots and excellent movies being released constantly then have the genre being treated like they were decades ago, aka Video Game movies today.

Mack the Knife

Yes, you see my point. It's not that I hate superheroes, I just dislike the lack of originality. If more were original and different I wouldn't be writing this thread.

It's not that the're bad. It's that they're all becoming the exact same thing, with reboots of only 10 year old movies they're just redoing the same thing over and over again. My fear is that soon all of the big blockbusters will follow this "superhero playbook" as some call it and be predictable and unoriginal and just plain. I don't mind that they didn't reboot Spiderman, but I do mind that they almost didn't do anything different than the first one.
What's wrong with there being a lot of Superhero movies, as long as they're good? They're vastly different from each other, so it's not a problem. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises were both amazing, yet they differed heavily in pretty much everything.

tehy

Banned deucer.
The problem is that it's boring to see the same movie with a different character over and over again? Except that happens all the time in Action, Romantic Comedy, etc, etc. I guess these are supposed to be a bit smarter than those but even so.

Superhero movies have the opportunity of greatness at least, and isn't it nice to have a movie genre that will usually be somewhat good with a chance to be great?

Also if it's the same thing over and over audiences may stop watching eventually. Yes, they don't do it with action and rom-com movies, but it's possible that modern superhero movies are just new to audiences and they will stop being fresh with time, then become boring, so don't lose hope on that front.

Also, it's fucking lazy and annoying to just reuse old material, but Hollywood does that shit all day erryday.

DrRobotnik: I'm pretty sure OP's mainly complaining that people are reusing the same characters and going around claiming that their movie is DIFFERENT. And of course the hot superhero on at the moment is always the most relatable. It's not entirely bad that the same basic characters are being reused, but the characters themselves just seem pretty much the same from the perspective of most people who haven't read and/or grown up on the comics.

McGrrr: I'm not sure what point you think I'm making. I would have thought you'd have agreed to most of my post, other than maybe the part where I talk about the well-researched psychology of superstimuli. I'm sorry I didn't end up decisively taking a side, since I know some people need me to take a side to make character judgments on me or even consider me coherent.

Besides, looking at this thread, one would think "coherent" means "agrees with me", and "narrow worldview" means "disagrees with me".

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the film industry, as art, is funded indiscriminately by government, if it's funded at all. Just throw money at it, and let the people who have a clue sort it all out. Probably for the best.

Hulk wasn't a premature reboot. They had to find a way to incorporate it into the Avengerverse. Spiderman..

Fuck Spiderman. The problems with superhero movies lie in the fact that several companies own the rights to different, important characters and are unwilling to let them go.

Also, most indie movies fucking suck.

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Have there ever been "original" superhero movies? They always seem, at best, stunningly adequate, Marvel especially.

DrRobotnik: I'm pretty sure OP's mainly complaining that people are reusing the same characters and going around claiming that their movie is DIFFERENT.
Because they are different, same main character =/= same movie. Please, try to tell me that Man of Steel is anything at all like the old Superman movies. Or that Nolan and Burton's are even similar.

@X5Dragon the reason why they reboot is because the last film was such an abortion that it killed the series. Seriously, name one reboot where the last film was good.

did you miss the part where the clerk or whoever she was commented on his name being
robin
or something?

It is still kinda sketchy that Nolan says "no, really, only making 3 movies guys" (and is maybe serious about it?) and then just sets that whole thing up though. This is the guy behind Inception and Memento though, he seems rather fond of leaving his audience hanging
No, it made sense since he was basically playing sidekick the whole movie. I guess he just wanted to leave it open to interpretation as always *sigh*

Lets jump right to what everyone else is thinking.

The Green Hornet is the worst film in the history of mankind.

God have mercy on our souls for permitting the creation of such an abomination.

No, that honor definitely goes to Batman & Robin. I'm still mad at how they fucked over my two favorite Batman rogues so hard (Mr. Freeze and Bane). And this was post "Heart of Ice" so they had no excuse.

Superhero movies aren't the main culprit of films that are derivative. It is across all genres. Hollywood wants to make money. Thus, they're not going to take a risk on a new and innovative script. To the studios, that tells them there isn't a guarantee. And people with lots of money want a sure thing. So we're going to keep getting re-makes of terrible 80's films and reboots of franchises because they sell. Take a movie like Cloud Atlas, which can easily be defined as innovative (good or bad) and you can see it performed rather poorly. Follow the money.

Hollywood is probably going to have to make major changes in the near future anyway. With prices for tickets rising much faster than the inflation rate in the US, fewer and fewer people are going to see films. Major blockbusters used to stay in theaters for an entire year, but now are lucky to make 4 months. The business has been in decline, and the elites in the business will quickly have to get off their own high horse and start looking at what the consumers want (beyond the teen crowd where they get the majority of their profit).

Asking Hollywood to be new and creative?

In the day and age where mindless conformity to the accepted state-approved wisdom is not just expected, but demanded?

You ask too much.

Why are you assuming some kind of political agenda here, when the reality is probably a bit closer to this: rehashes and comic book movies are easy to make and virtually guaranteed to make money if they're not complete and utter shit.

Why are you assuming some kind of political agenda here, when the reality is probably a bit closer to this: rehashes and comic book movies are easy to make and virtually guaranteed to make money if they're not complete and utter shit.
Dude, even if they are shit, a lot of people will still see it at least once, not knowing what to expect in the theatre. Besides, people can like stuff that's considered shit...
I liked the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Dude, even if they are shit, a lot of people will still see it at least once, not knowing what to expect in the theatre. Besides, people can like stuff that's considered shit...
I liked the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
Like I said, "complete and utter shit" -- as in so bad nobody gives it a good review shit.

Mack the Knife

Because they are different, same main character =/= same movie. Please, try to tell me that Man of Steel is anything at all like the old Superman movies. Or that Nolan and Burton's are even similar.

@X5Dragon the reason why they reboot is because the last film was such an abortion that it killed the series. Seriously, name one reboot where the last film was good.
Well, as I said in the OP I liked the Dark Knight series. The ones I have mostly a problem with are the new Spiderman series and were they don't do anything different than every other superhero movie. Seriously. Step 1: Upset or awkward young man. Step 2: Granted powers. Step 3: Tries to woo love interest. Step 4: Villain arrives. Step 5: Hero defeats villain while either gaining or losing love interest in the process.

I'm pretty sure before The Evil Dead reboot was made to a series where all 3 were acclaimed in some form or another.

DrRobotnik, I don't know why you'd zero in on the first sentence of my post when the rest of it completely contradicts your interpretation of it. The only thing I really said is that every comic book superhero is just one continuous blur to most moviegoers, a single person dressed up in different suits, played by different actors, and summoning somewhat different special effects. Again, I'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad thing. The superhero trope endures because it provides a fantasy illusion that's very convenient for people to experience. Yet, there comes a point where you have to ask whether a given movie actually has a message, because there are many, many ways for me to get my "relatable superhero" fantasy fix.

Also I like how people keep posting variations of my original point and aren't being called out on it. I tend to try to post things that I suspect everybody's really thinking, and I have to admit it's somewhat vindicating.

Step 1: Upset or awkward young man. Step 2: Granted powers. Step 3: Tries to woo love interest. Step 4: Villain arrives. Step 5: Hero defeats villain while either gaining or losing love interest in the process.
Do you have any idea how many stories, let alone films, you have just described?

DrRobotnik, I don't know why you'd zero in on the first sentence of my post when the rest of it completely contradicts your interpretation of it. The only thing I really said is that every comic book superhero is just one continuous blur to most moviegoers, a single person dressed up in different suits, played by different actors, and summoning somewhat different special effects.
Oh, so you're just generalizing hundreds of millions of people and speaking for them collectively, that's a lot better. Seriously, though, how do you know any of this? And why do you just assume that these people are complete idiots unable to see gigantic differences between series?

Again, I'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad thing. The superhero trope endures because it provides a fantasy illusion that's very convenient for people to experience. Yet, there comes a point where you have to ask whether a given movie actually has a message, because there are many, many ways for me to get my "relatable superhero" fantasy fix.
Fantasy illusion? Who actually wants to be half of these guys or inserts themselves as the hero? The movie is about Superman/Batman/Spider-Man, not you.

Also I like how people keep posting variations of my original point and aren't being called out on it.
Because there's no point in responding to the exact same thing 5 times.

I tend to try to post things that I suspect everybody's really thinking
Please just post what you're thinking, everyone else can speak for themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)