Wii U

The restriction of having one tablet for one Wii U is a bit disheartening, but it makes sense. The controller is a dumb terminal. It is the Wii U that has to compute an image and stream it to the controller in real time. To support four tablet controllers, the Wii U would need four times the bandwidth and significantly more processing power. A console can theoretically support a near infinity of normal controllers, but this one is so expensive and requires the console to commit such an amount of resources that they might not be able to afford supporting even one more.

While I recognize the hardware limitation, I think that's when it was time for Nintendo to say, "This idea is not capable of implementation at the current hardware benchmark at a price customers will pay," rather than, "I guess we will have to sell a half-baked version of this idea." It's like if Microsoft had released the Xbox 360 in 2003, but it was only in black and white. Apologists could say, "Well the graphics are amazing, and it couldn't handle them if it had to do colors!" That's fine, but the PS2 and Gamecube would have outsold it by a million miles.

That's not to say that this console will have crappy sales, if it can keep the casual market cornered. But it's not a coincidence that the press conference said, "Look at this amazing controller," while "one per console" was in fine print buried at the bottom of the press kit. It's a total cop-out.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Wiimote was gimmicky and the button configuration was far from perfect, but dammit being able to move your arms around while playing a game just felt right. I'm getting original xbox vibes with this one, it just doesn't look good.

Are there any specs on the touchscreen? Does it support mutitouch? Is it pressure sensitive? What about its graphical capabilities?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)