ORAS Doubles OU WINGS OF LIBERTY (SUN TEAM)

WINGS OF LIBERTY

~Introduction~

Hello, and welcome to my RMT. I built this team when Jirachi was being suspected, and I expected to face a countless number of them at the time. Thus, I decided to build my first Mega Charizard-Y team, and of course, I also added Jirachi because I wanted to join the bandwagon. However, I never liked the idea of using Mega Charizard-Y as a (Semi-)Trick Room or Tailwind Pokemon, so I decided to go standard with different approaches to support Mega Charizard-Y. The result was splendid, and it continues to perform magnificently through most match-ups. Enjoy!

~The Team~

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect
- Solar Beam

I like my Mega Charizard-Y to be fast and strong. In order words, I fully invested in Special Attack to do as much damage as possible and in Speed for a chance to attack before other 100-Speed-Based Pokemon. I also added HP Ground to help me maintain my momentum; it has a 25% chance to OHKO Heatran. For the matter of Volcanion, it has a 50% chance to 2HKO it with either Solar Beam or HP Ground. Nevertheless, these statistics should not matter as long as I already had put decent damage onto them.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Icy Wind
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Follow Me

As I have stated, I have no particular interest in setting up TR/TW to make the team more efficient. After all, the first thought of an opponent who sees a TR/TW setter is to use Fake Out, Taunt, or simply eliminate it. Thus, I decided to use Icy Wind as a method of speed control. Of course, Jirachi also has Follow Me which will redirect any moves to itself; that is always convenient. In addition, its Iron Head helps out in dealing damage with Mega Diancie; no, I don't depend on flinches for wins.

Conkeldurr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

And considering that the current Mega Charizard-Y set is very fragile to common threats, I've decided that Conkeldurr is the better option as the team's Wide Guard user. Its Drain Punch has a 75% chance of OHKO'ing standard Mega Kangaskhan and standard Heatran while its priority Mach Punch will 2HKO them without doubt. Plus, its Ice Punch (-1) will eliminate Landorus-T, which is quite convenient. For the matter of its item, I gave it Lum Berry because opponents always try to Will-O-Wisp it and I needed another Pokemon to send if Spore is a threat.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

I heard from somewhere that Landorus-T is an excellent Pokemon for Slot #4 in a Doubles team, and indeed it is. Its high speed allows it to counter/check most threats in the Meta-Game and scout the opposing team as much as needed. In addition, its presence with Mega Charizard-Y makes an awesome offensive force. Simply said, it is a huge threat to opposing Mega Charizard-Y, Mega Diancie, Talonflame, Heatran, Mega Kangaskhan, etc.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 128 HP / 108 Def / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt

However, there are always Pokemon like opposing Wide Guard users, TR/TW setters, and Weather abusers that would cause trouble for the team. To counter/check these Pokemon, there was no better Pokemon for the job except for Thundurus. Well, its EV investment is quite similar to the bulky set; it outspeed Breloom and any Pokemon slower than it, and it survives 2 Rock Slides from Landorus-T. And in exchange for its investment in Special Defence, it's fully invested Special Attack has a higher chance in OHKO'ing opposing Volcanion, Azuramill, etc.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Dark Pulse

Finally, we have Hydreigon! The problem was that bulky Pokemon, such as Latios and Cresselia, was well-capable of facing this team. In addition, I wanted another Pokemon to pressure Heatran and Aegislash, thus Hydreigon was added to the team. Yet, Hydreigon serves another purpose; it can send in the Nuke (a.k.a Draco Meteor), bringing significant amount of damage to any non-Fairy type Pokemon. Well, that is all, guys!

Last edited:
Thundurus would have better overall bulk with an EV spread of 172 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe as a result of the greater investment in HP, while still making Landorus-T's Rock Slide a 3HKO:
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 172 HP / 60 Def Thundurus: 180-212 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
here is the easiest way to get around CM Cress:

On Jirachi, go Toxic instead of Protect. It'll make life harder against Heatrans but you have 2 switch-ins and 4 ways to beat it.

anyway, to handle this issue with Dragons the first thing is to look at the synergy you have between Volcanion, Thundurus, and Charizard. These are where, in general, Dragon-types should gain an upperhand against you. Latios, for obvious reasons, also gains field position easily against Conkeldurr, but unlike Salamence, Hydreigon, and Kyurem-B, Latios doesn't have effective counterplay against Jirachi. NOW, what you could do here is to switch Jirachi to Aegislash, which helps with both CM Cress and Latios, and you can rely on Conkeldurr to deal with Kyurem-B and Hydreigon, BUT, I actually really like Jirachi on this team because Charizard really benefits from redirection. If I were you I'd maybe consider going double Steel-type with Jirachi and Aegislash instead of Volcanion, which would also shave off a Rock-type weakness since you do have 3 of them with only 1 resist, or you could go with Azumarill instead of Volcanion to keep the Water-resist and have a secondary win-condition that also works well against CM Cress.

Thundurus would have better overall bulk with an EV spread of 172 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe as a result of the greater investment in HP, while still making Landorus-T's Rock Slide a 3HKO:
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 172 HP / 60 Def Thundurus: 180-212 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
I really like this spread. Thanks!

here is the easiest way to get around CM Cress:

If I were you I'd maybe consider going double Steel-type with Jirachi and Aegislash instead of Volcanion, which would also shave off a Rock-type weakness since you do have 3 of them with only 1 resist, or you could go with Azumarill instead of Volcanion to keep the Water-resist and have a secondary win-condition that also works well against CM Cress.
Aegislash is a great answer to bulky Psychics! I've also been thinking about using Hoopa-U. Although it outspeeds common Wide Guard users, I worry that it may be physically too frail for non-TR/TW play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)