World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

Looks like I won the Fantasy League :P.

That Octopus is a legend.

The finals were a bit boring, but it came through towards the end.

He WANTED to play, that's why he kicked a bottle of water. He was angry for not being there, playing. So yeah, it's his fault for asking to play so much if he wasn't ready.
If you were him, wouldn't you want to play? He just couldn't stand being in the shadow of Villa in one more big tournament...

Yes, Xabi Alonso is a player less creative than Fabregas, and Fab played really well, although he should've put the game to rest when he had the chance to score or pass to Villa at his side, and he missed. But he completely corrected that giving Iniesta the assist to the goal.
I've noticed that every time spain plays fabregas, good things happen. he got them out of the deadlock against paraguay, for instance. and today, when he came on, spain instantly started playing better (i.e. in the extra time they just dominated holland, getting chance after chance, where during the first 2 halves, it was not quite so onesided).

i guess maybe he's young so they were afraid to play him too much since they didn't know how good he is/might be? idk. in general, i dont think spain's coach is worth shit =/

Actually, I think he likes playing Xabi more because he is more able defensively. Normally, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa would be just enough to open the defenses of the opposition. But not when the opponent is top level, I believe. Then, they miss a little creativity, and Fabregas is able to provide that.

Silva would be able, too. The problem with Spain, believe it or not, is that they have too many options in the bench. It's the opposite of Brazil, since Dunga left too many good players home, and didn't have a substitute to Kaká, or Luis Fabiano.

Yeah, he probably was, but wanna bet the Yashin Award will go to Casillas?

Anyway, it's over now.
Yeah, Casillas won the Golden Glove award, also known as the Lev Yashin Award, for being the best keeper of the World Cup.

Spain deserved it so much, too bad the game was more like a kick fest than any other in the world cup, it is a shame to see the Netherlands making so many fouls rather than playing like they know, wasted potential there.

And yes the octopus (or squid whatever) is a legend now, it sucks it is old and we won't have it around for much longer, such a fun character.

What have Caceres to do with Spain vs Netherlands? He was talking about De Jong, who gave a frickin Round House Kick at Xabi Alonso.

It wasn't offside... but damn, the goal came for a error from the referre.
IT WAS CORNER!

-flame mode on-

Spain, champion with a asterisk just like England.

-flame mode off-

Great Cup overall despite the judges screwing up a lot.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
YES
I win $100 on a sweepstake and New Zealand becomes the only unbeaten team in the Competition, my day just gets better and better

norulz

excellent
It wasn't offside. It came from a Spain kick that should have been a corner for us, so if you want to blame the ref for that goal, you're free to use that way.
iirc, the goal came from a counter-attack when the ref didn't sign a foul on Elia that would've given a dangerous fk against spain, at least that's why Mathijsen saw the card I think, for complaining and yelling in the ref's face after the goal, but I could be wrong

Yeah, Casillas won the Golden Glove award, also known as the Lev Yashin Award, for being the best keeper of the World Cup.
I never knew Cassilas made that many saves.
Imo Maarten Stekelenburg was a very good keeper as well, being a worthy replacement for Edwin van der Sar.

iirc, the goal came from a counter-attack when the ref didn't sign a foul on Elia that would've given a dangerous fk against spain, at least that's why Mathijsen saw the card I think, for complaining and yelling in the ref's face after the goal, but I could be wrong
Mathijsen said he was yelling to the ref about the corner that the ref didn't see. That might have saved some time for the Netherlands.

The corner shouldn't be even complained here. After Casillas kicked it, the ball went to Netherlands, and they had an attack where Elia tried to pass straight through two players from Spain. There was NO WAY IN HELL they would just OPEN the path for him to pass. That is not a foul, never was and never will be. For all of the supporters shouting that Iniesta is a diver, complain from this "foul" is just absurd.

It would be a foul if Elia had dribbled past a player, and he intentionally tried to block with his body. There, Elia simply tried to pass inside the opponent. He didn't put his body to block him. He simply didn't move aside, which is obvious.

Then, after he lost the ball there, on the Spanish DEFENSE, they guided the ball through the whole field, giving at least 30 seconds to Netherlands reorganize their defenses. Mistake from the referee? Come on. For all of you complaining of the referee, Felipe Melo saw straight red against Netherlands for a lot less than what De Jong did to Xabi Alonso. Not that he didn't deserve it. The red card was correct against Felipe Melo. But that also means that another referee would've sent De Jong off at that exact moment, and it destroys any argument about the referee helping Spain.

Anyway, Stekelemburg made a great World Cup too, specially in this finals. His save from Sergio Ramos' header was World Class.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Y'all really need to get off the ref a bit. Remember, soccer is a game without the instant replay, and one ref (with the "aid" of two linesmen) must cover a field 120 yds X 60 yds in size. This isn't like American football where you have multiple referees with all different angles and instant replays so there is no excuse for not making the right call. An incident can happen on a soccer field and it can look a certain way from one angle and completely different a mere 90 degrees around. Not to mention calls have to be made in the blink of an eye in a very fast paced game.

Yes, Webb made some errors. De Jong should have been sent off on the spot, agreed. A foul probably should have been called right before the Spanish goal, perhaps. But most of Webb's apparent errors were due to a lack of good angle on the play and a replay system. We can sit on our couches watching replays and youtube videos for hours and scrutinize Webb for not making these calls, but the fact is we have the benefit of resources and hindsight he did not have at the time. He made the best call he could with the angle he had in the heat of the moment. All that considered, I think he did a pretty good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)