Your take on mentally handicapped people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
btw, this is a just for posterity thing. The people the OP was referring to fall into a few of the following categories:

- Learning/Intellectual disability
- Cognitive disability
- Emotional disability
- Developmental disability

There are dozens of others, but these are the kinds of disabilities I assume the OP was most referring to.

The people with these disabilities (and all disabilities) have made it very clear that they find the use of the word "handicapped" to be pejorative and condescending, and slightly degrading. That's why you won't see any "handicapped parking" signs anymore (or shouldn't), and instead it's called "accessible parking."

"Retard" is the disabled equivalent to (BAN ME PLEASE) or (BAN ME PLEASE), so I'd highly recommend to refrain from ever saying it around anyone with a disability or someone who is a friend/relative/teacher/acquaintance of someone with a disability lest you face their wrath.

~The more you know~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)