Media Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't worry, I'm sure Konami will get around to banning broken cards to keep top-tier decks from being overpowered like they did with Ritual Beast Ulti-Cannahawk.

...wait something didn't sound right about that last sentence.
I mean, Ritual Beast were a pretty strong deck, probably the best outside of the other decks they hit minus Kozmo which is understandable, not to mention their playstyle is incredibly boring and is normally either a 5-minute OTK combo or just flooding someone out of the game with Macro or Fissure. Limiting Ulti-Cannahawk to hit the deck does make some sort of sense, the weirdest thing about it all is that the deck can still make its main combos with one Ulti-Cannahawk, they just have to rely on it not hitting the grave. It would have made much more sense to hit little Cannahawk if the intention was really to seriously hit the deck.

Also CDI isn't as broken as people are making out, the opponent in that screenie is playing Archfiend of Gilfer, against an opponent that can put up a fight CDI is good, yes, very good, but it's not the game-changing broken "omg how did they not test this" force some people make it out to be.

Reactions: jrp
against my better judgement i've decided to casually get back into this (online, mostly). i'm pretty familiar with how the top 3 decks all work (dracopals, kozmo, monarchs) and am also having some fun screwing around with madolches; also picked up kozmo and monarchs for a few games but they felt way too autopilot for me

kozmos are my worst matchup by far; are there any good generic cards that i can splash in that are exceptionally good at dealing with them? i've been considering running 2 quaking mirror force in the main deck just for the kozmo matchup

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh hey, this thread exists..

i'm not really close to being a competitive ygo player but I play a lot on DN with a bunch of decks I get from random deck profiles online and it's pretty fun... been trying to learn the game/meta in general and used kozmos for the most part... it took me a while to realize kozmo has ridiculous OTK potential lmao, I used to think they were REALLY strong before I learned about their OTK potential but now I really do see why they're fucking broken lmao.

monarchs are also super dumb. the power cree in ygo in general is really weird.. it kinda makes the game really super broken but still balances itself out and I don't get it @_@ i hate how centralized the tournament scene is though, it's literally just dracopals kozmos and monarchs with a few random tier 2-3 decks that never really win.

against my better judgement i've decided to casually get back into this (online, mostly). i'm pretty familiar with how the top 3 decks all work (dracopals, kozmo, monarchs) and am also having some fun screwing around with madolches; also picked up kozmo and monarchs for a few games but they felt way too autopilot for me

kozmos are my worst matchup by far; are there any good generic cards that i can splash in that are exceptionally good at dealing with them? i've been considering running 2 quaking mirror force in the main deck just for the kozmo matchup
not exactly exceptionally good but mirror force (and bottomless) doesn't target so it always destroys any kozmo card unless its wickedwitch or unless there's an eclipser on their side of the field... and most kozmo builds only run 1 eclipser cuz he's kinda not that great compared to dark destroyer.

things like effect veiler and ghost ogre can temporarily cripple kozmos if you use it on a tincan or farmgirl.

then there's that spell card that banishes all machine-type monsters for the cost of 1k LP, forgot what it's called tho. a lot of people side this in their deck. i've also struggled aginst a few synchros but I forgot their names.

then there's this: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Clear_Wing_Synchro_Dragon kinda messes with dark destroyer, eclipser, sliprider.

also running bls on a kozmo deck is really fun LOL i fucking love this card

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This game is a fucking blast, but I've been afraid to get back into it (even casually) because it's complicated as hell and it's been years since I've played a game that isn't on Tag Force 5 (one of those old PSP games from the Synchro era). Remember when Blackwings were stupid and you could Synchro Summon twice on the first turn if you got the right starting hand?

Still can't believe they ever unbanned BLS.

Arikado thanks, appreciate the advice, though i'm legally obligated to hate you solely because you play kozmo /s

my main issue with kozmos is that i have a hard time dealing with them when i play pendulum heavy decks (dracopals and madolches). ignister and clearwing are my main outs so far but i think i'm just misplaying too much with managing my resources and i get OTK'd the next turn ;____;

usually when i can get out raffelisia turn 1 with dracopals i tend to win just because bottomless is so good vs kozmo, so i guess i just need to learn to play conservatively, especially with dracopals since i run basically no backrow

This game is a fucking blast, but I've been afraid to get back into it (even casually) because it's complicated as hell and it's been years since I've played a game that isn't on Tag Force 5 (one of those old PSP games from the Synchro era). Remember when Blackwings were stupid and you could Synchro Summon twice on the first turn if you got the right starting hand?

Still can't believe they ever unbanned BLS.
yeah, same here - i quit when dino rabbit and tengu plant started getting popular (mid-2012, i think) and now every deck is pendulums and XYZs

FORTUNATELY, two of the strongest decks currently (kozmos and monarchs) aren't that hard to pick up and involve minimal to zero extra deck usage, so they're pretty good to ease new players back into the game.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Monarchs usually run 0 extra deck and xyz REALLY don't depend on extra deck all that much so its really all about personal preference. I run two synchros that I find helpful in sticky situations, two cyber dragon novas and infinities (nova just to summon infinity), castel, abyss dweller, leviar the sea dragon, and a bunch of other good universal xyzs.
Dear lord, I'm really out of touch. I'm also surprised that Synchros are still used; last I heard it was all about the XYZ monsters.
There are definitely way more useful xyzs than there are synchros but they're still around.
Arikado thanks, appreciate the advice, though i'm legally obligated to hate you solely because you play kozmo /s
lmao yeah, i need to try out other archetypes. i tried pepe before the adjustment lsit and I couldn't get the hang of them at all, might give dracopals a try. tried out monarchs and they're just as dumb as kozmos. also tried out raidraptors, super quantums (power rangers), an egyptian god deck, mermails... they're all p good and fun (Except egyptian gods they're literal trash) but way more complicated than kozmos/monarchs lol

I don't have much fun with this game anymore. I have this YGOpro simulator where you can make decks with pretty much any card where I try to get back time to time but without success.
Destruction effects are almost completely unviable and targeting is getting less and less relevant. In the TCG even Raigeki is allowed but that card does pretty much nothing in that format.
Just surprised that thousand eyes restrict is still banned, because the only viable way to summon it in the current format is instant fusion and the most you can do is remove 1 monster.

I am, however, hyped about the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. That Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon looks awesome but the main reason I am hyped is because of the old characters being back.
I hope it does not end up like the 2 shitty Dragon Ball Z movies.

I don't have much fun with this game anymore. I have this YGOpro simulator where you can make decks with pretty much any card where I try to get back time to time but without success.
Destruction effects are almost completely unviable and targeting is getting less and less relevant. In the TCG even Raigeki is allowed but that card does pretty much nothing in that format.
Just surprised that thousand eyes restrict is still banned, because the only viable way to summon it in the current format is instant fusion and the most you can do is remove 1 monster.

I am, however, hyped about the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. That Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon looks awesome but the main reason I am hyped is because of the old characters being back.
I hope it does not end up like the 2 shitty Dragon Ball Z movies.
Agree completely with this. The power creep since 5Ds has been ridiculous and they keep on trying to make more broken stuff to make much more money before inevitably banning key members of a specific archtype. You could say that there seems to be a sense of balance in the game but that's because there's like 3 top tier decks which just cheeses through all other competition (read: broken stuff checking other broken stuff - an analogy of our Ubers metagame (or what it was before Groudon-P).

Really don't have much hope for the new movie since we all know YGO is merchandise-driven so it's just there to promote some new cards to sell (remember the previous movie?)

It unsettles me that this thread has 56 pages but our Pokemon TCG thread only has four :o

Not that I mind because I kinda play both. Casually and budget for YGO, picked up a LS deck after the structure deck released for *nostalgia* (having only really played during 5Ds on one of the handheld games) and then I bought a Deskbot deck because it was really really cheap. Like, 21 euro, woah fuck. Even Yosenju and U.A were upwards of 30. My lightsworn deck makes me sad though :( Can't play Dragon Rulers because, well, no dragons, most of the hybrid decks are pretty lame, and the R4NK build really needs Minerva. ((And Omega and a bunch of expensive rank 4s but mostly Minerva.) I'm convinced I only win against my friend with it because he regularly misplays (Blackwings) and frankly his deck is much better than mine.

Can anyone explain Black Rose Dragon to me? It's commonly touted as one of the best level 7 synchros but I don't get it, since it wipes your whole board, unlike JD or Exciton who don't nuke themselves. You've to pop 3 of the opponents cards before you even break even on it. Outside of decks that shit synchros like there's no tomorrow and float out the wazoo, or maybe Blue Eyes since you can summon it on your opponent's turn, I don't get why I'd ever want to commit so many resources to emptying the field. Unless I hadn't used my normal summon already I guess. Is it purely just a costly utility, i.e. non-targeting destruction removal?

Really don't have much hope for the new movie since we all know YGO is merchandise-driven so it's just there to promote some new cards to sell (remember the previous movie?)
Oh shit, I just forgot that the one movie with Paradox existed. Yeah, that movie is not even worth mentioning that is how boring it is.

but the reason I am hyped about this movie is, because Yugi has grown up and there is actual potencial to see how he has changed since the pharao left him. the last 2 movies really had no potencial at all. It was either only about fanservice or/and advertisement mostly though both were boring to the point I can't really recall anything interesting or the actual motives of the villains.

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can anyone explain Black Rose Dragon to me? It's commonly touted as one of the best level 7 synchros but I don't get it, since it wipes your whole board, unlike JD or Exciton who don't nuke themselves. You've to pop 3 of the opponents cards before you even break even on it. Outside of decks that shit synchros like there's no tomorrow and float out the wazoo, or maybe Blue Eyes since you can summon it on your opponent's turn, I don't get why I'd ever want to commit so many resources to emptying the field. Unless I hadn't used my normal summon already I guess. Is it purely just a costly utility, i.e. non-targeting destruction removal?
You basically said the answer yourself in "you have to pop 3 cards before you even break even out of it", because it's very common for the opponent to overextend (and, in the age of pendulums, it's not even overextension, just playing your cards) and have 6+ cards out, and if your board is clear and almost clear yet your hand is solid and their hand has mostly been transferred to the board it's incredibly powerful because it removes almost all of their resources while only taking a small number of yours, since making a level 7 synchro is hardly a massive investment.

This is probably the most infamous recent example of a Black Rose nuke, the relevant game starts at around 25:00.

Anyway, I used to be a relatively competitive player (I've topped a few regionals, nothing big), but I stopped playing the game around December of last year, mainly because I was annoyed at Konami at how terribly they handled YCS Lille but also because last format was incredibly obnoxious, especially compared to the format before which in my opinion was one of the best formats ever. The current format looks to be pretty decent, especially with a banlist seemingly about to drop, since there are multiple decks that are very good and not really one deck that is so broken that nothing else can compete. Make the most of it guys, there'll never be another format where decks are "balanced" as such, but it's still a lot of fun to play in formats where there are several decks as good as eachother and no deck is PePe level of oppressive.

I do feel the game would be much better without Performapal Trapeze Magician, though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh shit, I just forgot that the one movie with Paradox existed. Yeah, that movie is not even worth mentioning that is how boring it is.

but the reason I am hyped about this movie is, because Yugi has grown up and there is actual potencial to see how he has changed since the pharao left him. the last 2 movies really had no potencial at all. It was either only about fanservice or/and advertisement mostly though both were boring to the point I can't really recall anything interesting or the actual motives of the villains.
The Abridged version of the Paradox movie, however, is fantastic. It's hilarious and has some pretty awesome moments like the ending song.

I really enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh until 5Ds, the meta had a lot of diversity and cool options to play with (which promoted creativity), whereas as many above me have pointed out, the entire game has disintegrated into a less-fun version of Ubers with a select few playstyles that work and dominate over the rest (e.g. you could actually build around things like the Aesir in 5Ds and have a fun, yet potentially rewarding time, but that's completely changed now)

YCS Vegas just ended:
  • Top 16 was 8 Dracopals, 4 Kozmo, 2 Monarch, 1 Burning Abyss/Phantom Knight, 1 Super Quantum (with Brilliant Fusion)
  • Top 8 was 4 Dracopals, 2 Kozmo, 1 Monarch, 1 BA/PK
  • Top 4 was 2 Dracopals, 1 Kozmo, 1 BA/PK
  • Finals were Dracopals vs Dracopals
The big 3 manage to top yet again with Dracopals winning more or less through sheer numbers and versatility. I actually like Dracopals quite a lot as they still let your opponent actually play the game to some degree; however, Kozmos crush 90% of potentially viable rogue decks and Monarchs demolish basically everything else, which I think are the primary reasons why this format isn't very diverse. Slow decks tend to get OTK'd by Kozmos whereas decks that play well vs. Kozmo by getting out big boss monsters (rank 10 trains, for example) fall quickly to The Monarchs Stormforth.

The banlist should be coming out pretty soon, right? The consistency in Dracopals comes mainly from Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer, Draco Face-off, and Wavering Eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if the first two got hit, or if they continued to adjust the adjusted list and flat-out ban Monkeyboard and/or Skullcrobat Joker. Kozmos are probably going to be hit lightly since there's still new support coming out for them - hitting E-Tele and Reasoning would be harmful to a lot of weaker decks, though, like Quantums and Infernoids. I'm hoping they hit Farmgirl and Kozmotown; Farmgirl is a massive OTK enabler and the deck is still strong with her at 1. Monarchs need to be hit to be less consistent and annoying, too - I'd be happy to see any of Stormforth, Domain, Pantheism, and Tenacity getting hit.

On a side note I've been playing around with Quantums on YGOPro, and Super Quantal Mech King Great Magnus is one of the funniest cards to get out because there are virtually no answers to it

YCS Vegas just ended:
  • Top 16 was 8 Dracopals, 4 Kozmo, 2 Monarch, 1 Burning Abyss/Phantom Knight, 1 Super Quantum (with Brilliant Fusion)
  • Top 8 was 4 Dracopals, 2 Kozmo, 1 Monarch, 1 BA/PK
  • Top 4 was 2 Dracopals, 1 Kozmo, 1 BA/PK
  • Finals were Dracopals vs Dracopals
The big 3 manage to top yet again with Dracopals winning more or less through sheer numbers and versatility. I actually like Dracopals quite a lot as they still let your opponent actually play the game to some degree; however, Kozmos crush 90% of potentially viable rogue decks and Monarchs demolish basically everything else, which I think are the primary reasons why this format isn't very diverse. Slow decks tend to get OTK'd by Kozmos whereas decks that play well vs. Kozmo by getting out big boss monsters (rank 10 trains, for example) fall quickly to The Monarchs Stormforth.

The banlist should be coming out pretty soon, right? The consistency in Dracopals comes mainly from Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer, Draco Face-off, and Wavering Eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if the first two got hit, or if they continued to adjust the adjusted list and flat-out ban Monkeyboard and/or Skullcrobat Joker. Kozmos are probably going to be hit lightly since there's still new support coming out for them - hitting E-Tele and Reasoning would be harmful to a lot of weaker decks, though, like Quantums and Infernoids. I'm hoping they hit Farmgirl and Kozmotown; Farmgirl is a massive OTK enabler and the deck is still strong with her at 1. Monarchs need to be hit to be less consistent and annoying, too - I'd be happy to see any of Stormforth, Domain, Pantheism, and Tenacity getting hit.
I'd miss stormforth :( it enables pretty much any weaker deck whose thing involves tributing, which is already a pretty weak mechanic. Plus it's been around for ages, and even if it is really good, I'd rather hit the newer support! U.As are still suffering over the ROTA limit :(

i've been screwing around with deckbuilding and so far my two favorite archetypes are madolche and fluffals. what does that say about me as a person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)