Doubles Zeraora

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off / Coaching
- Taunt / Coaching

Boasting a nifty set of utility moves and the highest base Speed in the unboosted metagame, Zeraora shines as one of DOU’s best support options available for fast, aggressive teams. Notably, Zeraora has the game's fastest Fake Out, handy for going uncontested against opposing Fake Out leads with Mew and Rillaboom and seizing initiative instantly. Its other support moves are also immediately beneficial and disruptive, as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe. Knock Off removes key items from play such as Porygon2’s Eviolite and Kyurem-B’s Assault Vest for a teammate to follow up on. Taunt prevents opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, in addition to status moves like Amoonguss' Spore, from becoming a problem. Coaching is a niche alternative if Zeraora is paired with enough dangerous physical attackers like Metagross, Zygarde, and Shift Gear Genesect, as it can practically become a permanent Helping Hand with a Defense boost on top for efficient trades. Dragon Dance Kyurem-B, in particular, is one of Zeraora's best partners; while Zeraora provides Coaching and deals with Dragapult and Urshifu-R, Kyurem-B in return destroys Rillaboom and Zygarde, both of which give Zeraora much grief.

Last edited:

zoe

Beyond the Sky
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
yosha

[SET]
  • It might be worth it to change up the order of moves on the set itself, because having Knock Off as the first move twice could potentially be confusing.

[DESCRIPTION]
  • Redirection might be worth a mention in the list of moves Taunt prevents, but this is already teetering on the word limit so its up to you.
Don't have anything else outside of those two, fantastic work.

QC 1/1
dnagerbdager.gif

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
yeah i changed the slashes when i realized i could get the same effect with what i put there now but more elegantly lol

dont think redirection is in the same level as the ones i mentioned since taunt is effectively reactive disruption rather than proactive in such cases so i wont mention, also chara count lol

add / remove
Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off / Coaching
- Taunt / Coaching

Boasting a nifty set of utility moves and the highest base Speed in the unboosted metagame, Zeraora shines as one of DOU’s best support options available for fast,(AC) aggressive teams. Notably, Zeraora has the game's fastest Fake Out, handy for going uncontested against opposing Fake Out leads with Mew and Rillaboom and seizing initiative instantly. Its other support moves also come in handy as Zeraora's Speed makes them are also immediately beneficial and equally disruptive;. Knock Off removes key items from play such as Porygon2’s Eviolite on Porygon2 and and Kyurem-B’s Assault Vest on Kyurem-B for a teammate to follow up on, and. Taunt stops prevents opposing Tailwind and Trick Room as well as other, in addition to status moves like Amoonguss's Spore, from becoming a problem. Coaching is an interesting option i If Zeraora is paired with enough dangerous physical attackers like Metagross, Zygarde, and Shift Gear Genesect, as it can then Coaching practically beacts as a permanent Helping Hand with a Defense boost on top for efficient trades. Dragon Dance Kyurem-B,(AC) in particular,(AC) is one of Zeraora's best partners; while Zeraora provides Coaching and deals with Dragapult and Urshifu-R, Kyurem-B in return destroys Rillaboom and Zygarde, both of which give Zeraora much grief.

great work and read Memoric!

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
thanks for the check! just a few inquiries

i really want to keep part about its Speed when talking about it being immediately effective, it's a really important part of what makes Zeraora notable and it wasn't made as obvious in the Fake Out bit due to the opposing Fake Out pool being really small. I also don't like "equally" disruptive, the moves being just as effective as Fake Out is not really what I was going for, I really was just leaning into the Speed bit in the sense that the moves are pretty much going to be effective and there's little the opponent can do about them; maybe you misinterpreted as I was going for something like "beneficial (for you) and disruptive (for your opponent), though perhaps that's not as clear as I thought? I understand the "handy" part being fluff-ish though, so maybe like "... immediately beneficial and disruptive as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe" or something like that?

I also am unsure about segmenting the one sentence you split up into three, it personally feels as if it kills the tempo of the write-up and makes it too analysis-ish and, idk, boring ig. I understand that it's the safe route style-wise, and if it's a strict GP policy kind of thing then it's fine ig, but I think adding a bit of dynamism in the flow is better for FB.

Also, last one: I really want to keep the optionality in having Coaching explicit as I don't think leaving it loaded within an if-statement makes this thought clear enough. Even in teams with a decent amount of physical attackers, Zera can still find itself going Knock / Taunt most of the time. Could something like the previous version be kept for the write-up with this in mind?

I'll implement after these are addressed, thanks!

no worries, let’s talk about them.
i really want to keep part about its Speed when talking about it being immediately effective, it's a really important part of what makes Zeraora notable and it wasn't made as obvious in the Fake Out bit due to the opposing Fake Out pool being really small. I also don't like "equally" disruptive, the moves being just as effective as Fake Out is not really what I was going for, I really was just leaning into the Speed bit in the sense that the moves are pretty much going to be effective and there's little the opponent can do about them; maybe you misinterpreted as I was going for something like "beneficial (for you) and disruptive (for your opponent), though perhaps that's not as clear as I thought? I understand the "handy" part being fluff-ish though, so maybe like "... immediately beneficial and disruptive as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe" or something like that?
a lot of times, filler phrasing using words like “handy” can either be misleading or non-specific enough, so yes that is the reason I made those changes. I think your choice in saying: "Its other support moves are also immediately beneficial and disruptive, as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe” is much more effective (don’t forget a comma after disruptive), yes.

Memoric said:
I also am unsure about segmenting the one sentence you split up into three, it personally feels as if it kills the tempo of the write-up and makes it too analysis-ish and, idk, boring ig. I understand that it's the safe route style-wise, and if it's a strict GP policy kind of thing then it's fine ig, but I think adding a bit of dynamism in the flow is better for FB.
I broke it up because the semi-colon wasn’t utilized completely correctly, but if you want to keep it in-tact, let’s do this:

“Its other support are also immediately beneficial and disruptive, as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe; Knock Off removes key items from play, such as Porygon2’s Eviolite and Kyurem-B’s Assault Vest, for a teammate to follow up on; Taunt prevents opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, in addition to status moves like Amoonguss' Spore, from becoming a problem.”

Memoric said:
Also, last one: I really want to keep the optionality in having Coaching explicit as I don't think leaving it loaded within an if-statement makes this thought clear enough. Even in teams with a decent amount of physical attackers, Zera can still find itself going Knock / Taunt most of the time. Could something like the previous version be kept for the write-up with this in mind?
if I understand what you want here, then I recommend using a more specific descriptor than “interesting” to characterize Coaching as an option, such as “niche,” “dark horse,” “underestimated,” or whatever will color it as explicitly less clickable than the alternatives. the only change I would then make to your original sentence, after you’ve chosen a better phrase, is “be -> become.”

I hope all of that helps!

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
no worries, let’s talk about them.

a lot of times, filler phrasing using words like “handy” can either be misleading or non-specific enough, so yes that is the reason I made those changes. I think your choice in saying: "Its other support moves are also immediately beneficial and disruptive, as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe” is much more effective (don’t forget a comma after disruptive), yes.

I broke it up because the semi-colon wasn’t utilized completely correctly, but if you want to keep it in-tact, let’s do this:

“Its other support are also immediately beneficial and disruptive, as its Speed lets it use them before virtually any foe; Knock Off removes key items from play, such as Porygon2’s Eviolite and Kyurem-B’s Assault Vest, for a teammate to follow up on; Taunt prevents opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, in addition to status moves like Amoonguss' Spore, from becoming a problem.”

if I understand what you want here, then I recommend using a more specific descriptor than “interesting” to characterize Coaching as an option, such as “niche,” “dark horse,” “underestimated,” or whatever will color it as explicitly less clickable than the alternatives. the only change I would then make to your original sentence, after you’ve chosen a better phrase, is “be -> become.”

I hope all of that helps!
Thanks so much for this response, really appreciate it! For the semicolon thing, I've seen structures with semicolons in writing that effectively treat them as conjoining what in the grand scheme of overall syntactic structure is a simple and compound sentence together, which is what I was going for there. Ig, looking at it now, doing it like that is probably too long anyway, and two semi-colons to follow your proposed construction seems inelegant, so I'll just do the original change. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)