2012/2013 Soccer/Football thread

Well today Japan qualified for the World Cup, congratulations to them. Unfortunately Iraq lost so their chances at the World Cup are very slim. It's still dumb to me how the FIFA organizers could arrange a World Cup qualifier to be played during the day in June in the Middle East; it was so bad that they took water breaks during the game. I'm not saying that's why Iraq lost lol, but nobody can play effectively in that kind of weather lol.

Well today Japan qualified for the World Cup, congratulations to them. Unfortunately Iraq lost so their chances at the World Cup are very slim. It's still dumb to me how the FIFA organizers could arrange a World Cup qualifier to be played during the day in June in the Middle East; it was so bad that they took water breaks during the game. I'm not saying that's why Iraq lost lol, but nobody can play effectively in that kind of weather lol.
Getting ready for wonderfully deserved 2022 world cup.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Nice to see Mourinho back, it will be interesting to see who he brings in. Schurrle is likely to be his first signing. As for the Brazil-England friendly, England performed very well in defence but didn't do much else and got their ass saved by two "wonder strikes". After this I never want to see Jones in midfield again. Oscar was easily the best player on the pitch and created most of Brazil's chances.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone else think Martinez is overrated? I'm well prepared to eat my own words here but I dont think (outside the FA cup) he has really done such an amazing job.

Maybe, but I've always liked him. Wigan are such a tiny club with practically no fanbase. He's had to sell their best players every season and bring in unknowns who have for the most part been good players. And he plays attacking football which he also started at Swansea, I don't think anybody could've done much more with Wigan really. Everton have a relatively tight budget too, but they're a much bigger club and he'll have more room to show what he can do there.

Platini and others seem intent on adjusting to a Winter World Cup, there's no law preventing this kind of change lol. Just because Australia didn't win the bid..

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I stopped viewing the FIFA rankings as accurate a long time ago. If you want to see more accurate rankings you can check out the elo rankings.
Croatia still makes it to #8 here.

just saying.

That and the fact you're underrating that team. They have some excellent players in Ivica Olic, Dudu, and Luka Modic..

just because all of their playing 11 isn't studded with star names from top leagues doesn't mean they aren't a good team.

My beef wasn't really with Croatia, it was more with Brazil being 22nd. Yes I know they are that low because they've had no competitive matches, but that's why the FIFA rankings are flawed.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
no we arent underrating croatia. its just that croatia havent done anything remotely significant in the past 10 years or so

them being over world cup runner ups is hilarious

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
According to Givemefootball, Chelsea have agreed a 58 mil euro deal for Cavani. I was initially disappointed to see Falcao move to Monaco but Cavani is younger and stronger and will probably adapt to the premier league with ease. The deal for Schurrle will probably be completed soon as well.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
"I've always wanted to play in Monaco since my idol Thierry Henry was a part of the club"

Right.

Ireland with a massive 3-0 win against Faroe Islands and now third in the group tied in points with Austria! It's looking tough though cos Sweden could come into third with a win against the Faroe Islands but the dream is still on if 3 teams are tied on points.

Also Arsenal are apparently now in for Higuain. I'm pretty happy with this cos he was a huge star (and still kinda is despite injuries) and he's still young. He could explode if he settles into the system. I don't believe any of the Rooney rumours though, there's no way Wenger is giving a player 300k a week so that's a load of hot air.

I'm 50/50 on that one. I can imagine Wenger being interested, as a DM he can further shield the back 4 from long balls and will be useful for defending and attacking corners. If he does buy him then it means he's finally given up on Diaby. But I don't think it'll happen because I think Wenger will give Diaby one more season (again) and he won't spend 25mil on a DM and Chelsea can offer him much better wages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)