Archeops

I don't know why hidden power isn't on anyones set. This thing has 112 SpA. That's higher than starmie. Give it hidden power ice or fire, and it could do a ton of damage to scizor/natt or gliscor/dragon.

U-turn isnt meant to be a damaging move on many pokes,with the exception of scizor and a few others. It is meant to keep the momentum on your side of play..U-turn+bug jewel will still be really weak unless its something that is weak to bug
Extra damage creates more momentum. The question is, how much? I'm not sure what the standard switch-ins against Archeops are, but I figured there may be potential in hitting with a powerful U-Turn where Flying Gem Acrobatics wouldn't be useful. I suppose it is very situational, especially considering you could just slap a Choice Band on it for the same effect, though you must settle for no Acrobatics. Oh well.

One of the sets I have is:
@ Flight Jewel
Jolly
252 attack/252 speed/4 HP
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Acrobat
Crunch / U - Turn

Outspeeds quite a bit of non-scarved pokes, and Flight Jewel boosted Acrobat is a killer. EdgeQuake there for good coverage and STAB, with Crunch or U - Turn is there for those weak Ghosts and Psychics. U turn could be good for scouting, but I prefer killing what they have, seeing what they bring out, and acting from there. You could also run Taunt/Sub in the final spot for some support.

With Archeops' trollish ability, I wouldn't want to run Sub without Leftovers. >_>

Honestly, this guy better get Roost or Skill Swap in Grey, period.

skill swap? yes, but roost would be semi-useless on him. at first you think: i can just roost to stop my suckish ability stat drop! but no, look at his defenses. WHEN is he having the chance to roost? and even if he does then what are you willing to remove from a moveset to put roost on it? everyone keep saying he would love roost but its only useful on paper for this guy, he is just that frail.

I don't really see too much from this, its ability especially considering the SR weakness kills it.

140 attack is great but its main stab isn't great,Stone Edge still has the lower BP and Head Smash is suicidal. After a good head smash hit and Stealth Rock damage your basically already in the 50% area which leaves it with 55 base speed 70 attack and absolute paper defences.

It can't even sustain a sweep with say LO due to the ability, or get Stealth Rock so it could actually try a starter set like Aerodactyl.

Put this one on the Rampardos,Medicham etc pile imo.

um how is his speed halved? lol

and yeah roost would only be viable on the switch and Scizor is the bane of Archeops' existence

I ran into an... interesting set on this guy. It ran Substitute. The scary thing is, if I hadn't immediately gone on the offensive, it would likely of swept my team. The basic idea seemed to be set up sub as the opponent set up rocks or some such, then sweep with minimal worries about priority. It ran a Flying Gem, so I'm guessing it's moveset was something along the lines of Acrobatics/Rock Move/Earthquake.

After a good head smash hit and Stealth Rock damage your basically already in the 50% area which leaves it with 55 base speed 70 attack and absolute paper defences.

...Dude. His ability only halves Attack and Special Attack. Nothing else.

Just a quick proposal...

Assume you have an Archeops with Head Smash, Acrobatics, and a Sitrus Berry. Send it in against something you absolutely positively need to Head Smash. Shouldn't the Sitrus Berry bring you back from the brink of under 50%, while simultaneously boosting the power of Acrobatics without having to send Archeops into battle item-less? Just a proposal, feel free to show me the error of my ways.

I don't know why hidden power isn't on anyones set. This thing has 112 SpA. That's higher than starmie. Give it hidden power ice or fire, and it could do a ton of damage to scizor/natt or gliscor/dragon.
I have to agree here, which I don't think its a great I idea to run a special or even mixed set here, if you are running filler moves its a good option.

I agree that HP Ice/Fire can be very handy, they won't be your main attacks anyway.
I also think Endeavor is also a good option as if you're at low health and your attack stat will do nothing now, you can put them at low health too with it. If you survived the OHKO.

4 SpA neutral HP Fire fails to 2HKO 252/252+ Nattorei. HP Ice is the way to go if you're going to go mixed.

Unless it's a sun team.

Just a quick proposal...

Assume you have an Archeops with Head Smash, Acrobatics, and a Sitrus Berry. Send it in against something you absolutely positively need to Head Smash. Shouldn't the Sitrus Berry bring you back from the brink of under 50%, while simultaneously boosting the power of Acrobatics without having to send Archeops into battle item-less? Just a proposal, feel free to show me the error of my ways.
Flying Gem is far superior.

Flying Gem is far superior.
Thanks for the explaination. Sure STAB gem Acrobatics is amazing, but not much good if you are going to get your attack halved and totally neutered.

Being able to kill something with a Head Smash then proceed to continue your sweep seems like a decent tradeoff to a one-time super-powerful attack.

My Archeops is Naive, max Atk and Spe, with Flight Gem and a moveset of Acrobatics/SE/EQ/Focus Blast. I'm thinking of swapping out EQ for HP Ice, because Gliscor's such a pain to break. Focus Blast is staying, though; I believe it OHKOs many Nattorei and hits the rest extremely hard. Not sure if I should give more of a SpA investment, though.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
No, you need to run jolly. 319 speed is too slow compared to 350, which outspeeds infernape, terrakion, virizion and hp fire latios/espeon.

I'd run power herb, sky attack and acrobatics on archeops, but he doesn't learn sky attack. Disappointing....

I'm going to try a jolly acro bling set with rock slide, EQ and Hone Claws. Has anyone used hone claws successfully?

No, you need to run jolly. 319 speed is too slow compared to 350, which outspeeds infernape, terrakion, virizion and hp fire latios/espeon.

I'd run power herb, sky attack and acrobatics on archeops, but he doesn't learn sky attack. Disappointing....

I'm going to try a jolly acro bling set with rock slide, EQ and Hone Claws. Has anyone used hone claws successfully?
The problem with using a set up move on Archeops is it can't afford to take any hits, and unless you bring it in on something that has literally has no options against it (Not much falls under this category) most things will be able to push it into Defeatist range with a neutral STAB attack thanks to it's pretty poor defenses.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
True. Maybe his best bet would be a revenge killing role. Just jolly with acro bling, rock slide, EQ and u-turn?

setup with archeops is out of question here for obvious reasons, although i think you guys are understimating this thing. he is not something you can just slap on a team and hope it works, you gotta support him just like you would do to any other sweeper. get rid of priority users and scarf pokemons(chances are those will be the only ones capable of outspeeding jolly arch on the enemy team) and you will find him doing quite a lot of damage.

on the other hand i think he might requires a bit too much support to be truly effective but at least he is a fan-favorite.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Endeavor is a really underrated option on this guy, since it allows you to actually do something once Weak-Kneed activates other than sit there and jerk off. The synergy between Endeavor and Defeatist is pretty obvious so I'm a little surprised to see that (on PO at least) it's only used on about 5% of all Archeops.

I suppose it can be a little hard to fit on him since Stone Edge/Acrobatics/U-turn/Earthquake are all pretty difficult to drop, and that's without even considering special attacks (ps, it's bullshit that this guy doesn't get Fire Blast).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)